• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Operation "S" Update

The stubborn Aussies were holding on just to the east of Point Culver, but the whole of the NLF was deployed with air support from Perth...it was only a matter of time.

116nxop.jpg

The end of Operation Setsuzoku

The Germans and Italians simply could not be kept out of Persia, however the rapid inroads of 8th Corps prevented them from securing the truly vital regions of the country before Japan.

301zo7s.jpg

The capitulation of Persia had not born any direct resource fruit as yet, however massive stores of material was reported to be captured.

Since the Italians had been lending support to the Saudis for much of their campaign to unify their peninsula, but had redeployed those forces towards Persia, with the end of the Setsuzoku operation an 8th Corps division was landed to assist them in finalizing their campaign.

i71yiu.jpg

Operation "S" Update and Arabian Peninsula unification

With the final collapse of the Point Culver positions, the majority of the Australians in that sector were eventually overrun, those that attempted to retreat at least.

Japanese troops were at the doorstep to Adelaide...
qp5e77.jpg

While the House of Saud were the masters of the Arabian peninsula, with a little help from their friends.
14sjml4.jpg

Between Persia, the East Indies and a little trade with the Germans and their Caucasian oil fields, I do believe your little fuel shortage is now taken care of.

Just a tip-transfer some of your supply production (or all of it) to upgrades. You can then slowly move the slider back as units get upgraded. You have enough supply stockpiled.

In any other HOI version I'd be on board with that.

I've noticed that regardless of actual stockpile, if I maintain a negative input at the source the throughput at the extreme fronts slows, as if the supply system uses a FIFO (first in/first out) method of distribution and there is a delay in drawing from the surplus to make up a FIFO shortfall at the point of shipping.

In a simplified example-

Stockpile @ 100
Production +20
Demand -25

It seems simple enough your running a -5 supply, this is how we know it works and this is how the GUI illustrates the situation up front with the red/green notifications...however what is not represented is the time lag in supply transmission as it pushes throughput. Normally this is offset by the organic supply being sufficient and with no disruptions in the convoy and decent infra.

But the throughput places an additional demand, which appears to occur on a lag since the system appears to not know what your exact amount of expected "supply lag" will be needed at the source along a fluid - moving front, causing it to ship insufficient supplies in the first place before getting the notice that the next transmission needs more, causing your local units to draw from their organic supply at an overall deficit before even taking into account operations, which causes an additional demand in either case to make up the shortfall. Add to this any kind of blockage or slowing occurs (insufficient convoys, truly terrible infra, and organic supply at deficit consumption -- or as happened in India, all of the above) the simple equation changes:

Stockpile @ 100
Production +20
Demand -25
Throughput Demand -25

But wait, your not running a -5 supply, your actually running -30 supply!

The insidious part of this is that these numbers are represented in the mouse over of the supply numbers, the red/green relationship *and* thus the slider demand itself are not accurately represented due to the complex nature of the system (basically "loose" supply is fed back into the source, possibly a feature designed to correct supply sinks) -- since this feedback is represented as a production positive in the GUI you can show "green" supply at the source while in actuality you are running a supply negative at the far flung front where you need it the most. (yup, the GUI and slider requirement are a lie! -- and so is the cake ;) )

Stockpile @ 100
Production +20
Demand -25
Throughput Demand -25
Returned +35

Surplus is returned from somewhere(?) but it is returned to source for redistribution, skewing the slider demand/gui color. -- what is really silly is that this could (in theory) be surplus from ports which are actually closer to your units then their selected theater node! While I have no hard data on this, it is suggestive of what occurred in this AAR's India campaign, where the supply was reaching Calcutta, but the node was in Rangoon...when units moved off the Calcutta square the local supply would drastically dive because their node supply was not being augmented by whatever the system was allowing to accumulate in Calcutta...basically when a unit moved off the square that squares demand would drop, the convoy going to Calcutta would reduce demand, etc. and any additional supply there would be *shipped back to Japan for redistribution to needy points!*

You notice in the second India campaign I purposefully landed in separate locations to *force* the creation of separate nodes at each port until such time as those units were able to link up, and I might add -- after they linked up I began to notice the supply issue again as they "consolidated" on a single node and operations moved into more hostile infra.

Now another issue does arise with the upgrading at the front, because while a person wants their best stuff on the line if at all possible (and I'm one of those people) - if you are already in a dicey supply situation those upgrades will be an additional lag-draw on the system that the throughput isn't prepared for.

As a general rule this is all less evident in overland supply than convoy supply (likely the delay-draw issue and the node status, which are absent in an all overland from the source supply link), and in "short" convoy supply vs. "world spanning" convoys (definitely a function of the time lag there)

So basically, I only reduce supply pressure during active ops if I can't help it for other reasons. Just keep that hose blasting all the time during active ops so that there is always enough in the pipe, hopefully building up at the regional node(s) so that when you do need to reduce pressure they can make up the slack.

Last edited:
I've noticed that regardless of actual stockpile, if I maintain a negative input at the source the throughput at the extreme fronts slows, as if the supply system uses a FIFO (first in/first out) method of distribution and there is a delay in drawing from the surplus to make up a FIFO shortfall at the point of shipping.

Wait a minute here -- this is either very counter intuitive or I don't understand the dynamic here (wouldn't be the first time for the latter). What good is a big supply stockpile if you cannot effectively/efficiently draw it down during times of need when other priorities, such as upgrades/reinforcement/production, take precedence? This would mean that one is effectively being punished for having a stockpile during wartime, and that it is a waste to build one during peacetime (when you could be doing more production/reinforcement/upgrades, selling supplies for cash not withstanding) -- just maintain a barely-positive input at all times, but no more.

Wait a minute here -- this is either very counter intuitive or I don't understand the dynamic here (wouldn't be the first time for the latter). What good is a big supply stockpile if you cannot effectively/efficiently draw it down during times of need when other priorities, such as upgrades/reinforcement/production, take precedence? This would mean that one is effectively being punished for having a stockpile during wartime, and that it is a waste to build one during peacetime (when you could be doing more production/reinforcement/upgrades, selling supplies for cash not withstanding) -- just maintain a barely-positive input at all times, but no more.

Well no, you want the stockpile because it determines how much cushion you can have overall...the "pressure" does not create additional supply, it just makes sure that the supply you need is always in the pipeline.

Can't see you not winning this now. Getting Saudia Arabia on board and taking Persia have completely reversed your fuel problems, while it looks like the US is out of rares!

The Germans have been singularly effective, taking out first the USSR and now the UK! Seems like your wish that they were building ships has been granted as even the super-effective RN couldn't protect its own island.

Was building the reactor in Nagasaki a deliberate choice?

Interesting comments on the supply situation too. I am far from expert when it comes to that aspect of the game.