• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
It's good to see somebody learning the ropes and actually admitting mistakes. I think it gives the AAR more realism.

Yes, indeed, this is amazingly helpful. I'm playing as Austria right now, and there's quite a bit to contend with on the European continent -- I'm mainly focusing on economic and political issues. There aren't as many gold mines in Europe as there are in the New World, and that would help tremendously. If you find out why your prestige dropped so rapidly, I'd be interested to hear that. It sounds like you may have to focus on more domestic issues for now, so I'm eager to see how that goes.

Chapter 6: an exploration of politics

Chapter 6: an exploration of politics

First, thanks much for all the kind and positive input - thanks folks!

Welcome back, everyone, to a fun-filled chapter of the Mexicon AAR. This chapter includes a tutorial on tweaking the economy/NF, some non-military updates, and then, the icing on top of this cake of excitement - a long and only partially successful exploration of Victoria's 2 Elecotoral Politics! Including Python code! I know, it seems too good to be true, doesn't it! :). Let the magic begin!

To set the stage, it's January 1854, and I'm at peace, at least until the UK decides to slap me around again. I have no CBs, and my infamy is still in the stratosphere, so no wars for me.

Tweaking the economy...

It's been a while since I fine-tuned the economy, let's take a look.

To my surprise, I already have a few too many bureaucrats - that's what happens when you pay them well and don't tax them, I guess! I move their pay down a bit.

I now turn my attention to raising literacy rate.

After 15 years of encouragement, I've got clergy up to 1.34% - still well below the 2.00% 'optimal', however my clerks, who are '4.00%' optimal, are only at 0.03%! I decide it's time to switch to that focus, as this will also help my indusrial output.

The most pops (near their RGO limit), and the most craftsmen pops, and the best rail network, and the most factories, are all in Mexico - I decide to encourage clerks there.

My loss is the USA's gain....

Now that I'm no longer a great power, I can no longer throw a monkey wrench into the USA's plans, and sure enough during this period they steadily get one country after another into their SOI - first Korea, then the CSA, then Sokoto, Hawaii, and finally Haiti. Grr...

A technological note.....

In August 1855 I finish "early railroad", and though tempted by military, decide to continue with industrial, going for "practical steam engine" - +10% output to both factories and farms! At the end of the day money drives military power, after all.

The advantage of a small upper class...

The great thing about having almost no upper class is that i get to laugh at events like these, the "Chamber of Commerce Protests" and "Aristocrats Incite the Peasantry" events.

An example of choosing a new national focus.

In February 1858.

I happen to notice that I have a second NF! (looking through screen grabs, I see this been laying around for 2 years. Grrr....).

First i think of more clerks, but looking at my factories....

I see that most are under-staffed already - no real slack to siphon off more clerks. Instead, I decide to encourage craftsmen. The one in Neuvo Leon is in a high-infrastructure province (for me, at least), should make good money (my winery in Mexico is raking in the bucks), and is almost empty - let's do it!

Adventures in User Interface....

Whoops, where is Nuevo Leon - the game is no help!

Why is this? Because if you look closely at the caption, you can see that this allows you to search "Countries and Provinces", but not Territories. Why? Who knows! The only way you can find it in game, that I can see, is to

Go to "territorial" mode, sweep your mouse over teach territory, and see what the tooltip says

A descent into the political system.....

In Feburary 1858, it's time to start a new electoral campaign. Please join me on another frightening round of our game, "Trying to make the numbers in Victoria 2 make sense". I know, I know, it seems too exciting for just one AAR, but let's try it, shall we :)

OK, snarking aside. Here's the basic low-down on the situation in Mexico.

The franchise is "weighted wealth" (which means that a rich person gets 2 votes, middle-class 1 vote, and poor get 0 votes), and the voting system is "first past the post", which means that elections are winner-take-all - like in the US, if you get 40% of the vote in every state, that means you get 0% of the representatives.

Mexico has 5 political parties - 2 Conservative (the Partido Conversador (the current ruling party), and the Partido Moderado Liberal), 2 Liberal (the Partido Liberal and the Partido Radical Liberal), and 1 Reactionary (the Partido Imperial). Yes, the "Moderado Liberal" party is Conservative - hey, politics is a strange place :)

Here are their "issues":.

(L) Partido Liberal - Free Trade, Laissez Faire, Moralism, Limited citizenship, Pro Military
(R) Partido Imperial - Protectionism, State Control, Moralism, Residency, Jingoism
(C) Partido Moderado Liberal - Protectionism, Interventionism, Moralism, Limited Citizenship, Pro Military
(L) Partido Radical Liberal - Free Trade, Laissez Faire, Moralism, Residency, Anti-Military
(C) Partido Conservador - Protectionism, Interventionism, Moralism, Residency, Jingoism.

Still on the 'politics' page,

Note that the pop and the voters are both plurality/majority conservative. It's a bit odd to me that the disenfranchised population isn't liberal - don't they want to vote? Anyways...

Let's see if we can figure out why the pie charts are as they are.

First, remember that only two groups vote - the rich, and the middle class. Let's take them each in turn.

The Middle Class.

Going to the population chart, and only selecting the middle class (it would be nice if there were a 1-step way to do this, oh well), we get the following chart, for the 406K middle-class people in Mexico:

And right away, if you look a little, things seem odd. There is one 'reactionary' party, the 'Partido Imperialista'. If 12.8% of the middle class will vote for it, then why are they shown as '19.4%' reactionary ideology? Why do the two yellow liberal parties add up to 36% of the electorate, but 45% of the 'ideology'?

Let's see if drilling down to 'issues' helps - after all, the manual and strategy guide both say that it's really issues that matter, that issues determine which party a POP will support. OK, fine. Here are the 'Dominant issues' for the middle class, from the pie chart to the left of 'Electorate vote':

pro_military 14.4
wealth_voting 13.6
interventionism 12.0
jingoism 11.0
moralism 6.5
free_trade 6.3
laissez_faire 5.5
anti_military 4.6
state_capitalism 3.8
planned_economy 3.2
full_citizenship 3.1
pacifism 3.1
limited_citizenship 2.3
secret_ballots 2.3
residency 2.1
atheism 1.8
pluralism 1.8
protectionism 1.3
secularized 1.1

OK, how does that map to party support? The natural way would be to 'dot product'. If party X supports 'pro_military' and 'jingoism', for example, it would get 14.4 + 11.0 = 25.4 'points'. Do this for all parties and normalize, and it seems like you should get the 'Electoral vote' column. Well, if you do this (I did, here's the Python, which also includes the Rich):.
Code:
conservador = { "name" : "Partido Conservador", "score": 0.0, "issues" : set(['protectionism', 'interventionism', 'moralism', 'residency', 'jingoism'])}
liberal = { "name" : "Partido Liberal", "score": 0.0, "issues" : set(['free trade', 'laissez faire', 'moralism', 'limited citizenship', 'pro military'])}
imperialista = { "name" : "Partido Imperialista", "score": 0.0, "issues" : set(['protectionism', 'state capitalism', 'moralism', 'residency', 'jingoism'])}
moderado_liberal = { "name" : "Partido Moderado Liberal", "score": 0.0, "issues" : set(['protectionism', 'interventionism', 'moralism', 'limited citizenship', 'pro military'])}
radical_liberal = { "name" : "Partido Radical Liberal", "score": 0.0, "issues" : set(['free trade', 'laissez faire', 'moralism', 'residency', 'anti military'])}

rich_issues = { "pro military": 21.1, "interventionism" : 10.6, "jingoism": 9.8,
  "state capitalism":  6.5, "anti military" : 6.4, "moralism": 5.5, "wealth voting": 5.3,
  "free trade":4.9, "laissez faire": 4.1, "full citizenship": 4.1,
  "planned economy": 4.0, "pacifism": 3.7, "atheism": 2.9, "limited citizenship": 2.2,
  "plualism": 2.2, "secularized": 1.9, "secret ballots":1.8, "residency": 1.5 }

middle_issues = { "pro military": 14.4, "wealth voting": 13.6, "interventionism" : 12.0,
  "jingoism": 11.8, "moralism": 6.5, "free trade": 6.3, "laissez faire": 5.5,
  "anti military" : 4.6, "state capitalism": 3.8, "planned economy": 3.2,
  "full citizenship": 3.1, "pacifism": 3.1, "limited citizenship": 2.3,
  "secret ballots": 2.3, "residency": 2.1, "atheism": 1.8, "pluralism": 1.8,
  "protectionism": 1.3, "secularized": 1.1 }

parties = [conservador, liberal, imperialista, moderado_liberal, radical_liberal]

def ClassToParty(cls, name):
  total_val = 0.0
  for p in parties:
    p['score'] = 0.0
    for key,val in cls.items():
      if key in p['issues']:
        p['score'] += val
        total_val += val
  for p in parties:
    print '%s score for %s is %d' % (name, p['name'], 100.0*p['score']/total_val)

ClassToParty(middle_issues, "Middle Class")
for p in parties:
  p['middle_score'] = p['score']
ClassToParty(rich_issues, "Upper Class")
total_val = 0
for p in parties:
  p['rich_score'] = p['score']
  val = 406*p['middle_score'] + 152*2*p['rich_score']
  total_val += val  
  p['total_score'] = val
for p in parties:
  print 'total score for %s is %d' % (p['name'], 100.0*p['total_score']/total_val)

You get these results:
Middle Class score for Partido Conservador is 21
Middle Class score for Partido Liberal is 22
Middle Class score for Partido Imperialista is 16
Middle Class score for Partido Moderado Liberal is 23
Middle Class score for Partido Radical Liberal is 16

Which compare to the 'pie chart', as follows:
Partido Conservador: Python says 21, Vic2 says 30: -9
Partido Moderado Liberal: Python says 23, Vic2 says 21: +2
Partido Liberal: Python says 22, Vic2 says 21: +1
Partido Radical Liberal: Python says 16, Vic2 says 16: 0
Partido Imperialista: Python says 16, vict says 13: +3

(Neither quite adds up to 100, because of rounding). Overall, not bad, close enough that I think that with just one tweak (assume that the party in power gets a bump), this pretty much matches up.

It's a mystery how 'Electorate Vote' and 'Ideology' relate, however, let's leave that for now, and move on.

The Politics of the Rich

If you do the exact same thing for the rich, by the way,
you get this:

Partido Conservador: Python says 20, Vic2 says 32: -12
Partido Moderado Liberal: Python says 24, Vic2 says 25: 0
Partido Liberal: Python says 23, Vic2 says 19: -5
Partido Radical: Python says 15, Vic2 says 12: -3
Partido Imperialista: Python says 16, Vic2 says 12: -4

A similar pattern to the middle class - the ruling party gets a big bump, and the others suffer a bit. I'm sure other factors are probably counted here, too, like militancy or something, but it seems like we're close.

On to election night.....

OK, now that we think we more-or-less understand, which parties the voters will prefer, and why, let's head on to the general election and see what happened!

If we know how many middle class voters there are, and which parties they like, and how many rich voters there are, and which parties they like, and we know that each rich voter gets 2 votes and each middle class voter gets one vote, we should be able to do a good job of predicting election night results. Here's what our friend Python predicts:

total score for Partido Conservador is 20
total score for Partido Liberal is 23
total score for Partido Imperialista is 16
total score for Partido Moderado Liberal is 24
total score for Partido Radical Liberal is 15

Which should be quite the dogfight. Python says the Partido Conservador should finish 3rd, however with the ruling paty bump, they might squeak it out, ahead of the "Partido Moderado Liberal" and the "Partido Liberal". The election night results are coming in.....

WTF? Anyone have any idea here? I know that "first past the post" should penalize minority parties, but this is ridiculous! Anyone, anyone? Anything other than massive electoral fraud??

One thing that didn' cause it - my decisions during the electoral campaign. There were two that favored "limited citizenship", one that favored "full citizenship", one that favored "pro military", and one that favored "planned economy" - none of which are issues the Partido Conservador has.

Oh well, let's move on.

And now back to our show....

In July 1858 oh joy, I get DOWed by the UK, and USCA and CSA both ditch me. Going in, my infamy is 44.01, my prestige is 12. For UK, it's infamy is 5.39, it's prestige is 422 (gulp).

This seems a natural place to stop for now - wish me luck, until next time!

Last edited:

WTF? Anyone have any idea here? I know that "first past the post" should penalize minority parties, but this is ridiculous! Anyone, anyone? Anything other than massive electoral fraud??

Hi,

well, that result makes perfect sense to me. Why?

"First past the post" is, as you said before, comparable to our days US, UK and F voting-modus.

The most prevalent single-winner voting method, by far, is plurality (also called "first-past-the-post", "relative majority", or "winner-take-all"), where each voter votes for one choice, and the choice that receives the most votes wins, even if it receives less than a majority of votes.
(from here)

I guess that in Mexico-City (or in another circonscription with high liberal POPs), a liberal candidate got most of the votes and thereby the seat. Elsewhere, the "Pardido moderator" had most of the votes, however thin the advance before the other four parties might have been.

Remember the "elector vote" pies? For the middle-strata, it was about 30% for the "Pardido moderator", for the rich-strata even higher.

If you have a save game just prior to the elections, you might mod the electoral-system, and see how it effects the results.

Yours,
AdL (who once upon a time studied political science ...)

Perhaps that screenshot makes more sense as Party X got Y% of the seats rather than the votes?

That could work with FPTP voting.

Hi,

well, that result makes perfect sense to me. Why?

"First past the post" is, as you said before, comparable to our days US, UK and F voting-modus.

(from here)

I guess that in Mexico-City (or in another circonscription with high liberal POPs), a liberal candidate got most of the votes and thereby the seat. Elsewhere, the "Pardido moderator" had most of the votes, however thin the advance before the other four parties might have been.

Remember the "elector vote" pies? For the middle-strata, it was about 30% for the "Pardido moderator", for the rich-strata even higher.

If you have a save game just prior to the elections, you might mod the electoral-system, and see how it effects the results.

Yours,
AdL (who once upon a time studied political science ...)

well, actually, it was the "partido conservador", not the "partido moderado", and the "conservatives" that won, not the "liberals", but if I make those two changes to your post then I think I see what you mean - it might be as simple as:

The #1 party for the rich (with 32% rating) was the "partido conservador"
the #1 party for the middle class (with 30% rating) was the "partido conservador".

So when the rich and middle class vote, the #1 party is ... the "partido conservador", with "first past the post" taking their slender plurality and turning it into an overwhelming victory.

And in my post, I talk about _why_ it's the #1 party for each, note that there does seem to be a large incumbent bonus here - according to the math in my previous post, the "partido conservador" would be the 3rd place party for both the rich and middle classes, without the incumbent bonus. So, once you're in power, you tend to stay in power, which makes sense.

Thanks for the help, always nice to have a working theory on how this game does what it does!

I call for a recount!

alan delane; said:
"first past the post" is, as you said before, comparable to our days us, uk and f voting-modus.

the #1 party for the rich (with 32% rating) was the "partido conservador"
the #1 party for the middle class (with 30% rating) was the "partido conservador".

So when the rich and middle class vote, the #1 party is ... The "partido conservador", with "first past the post" taking their slender plurality and turning it into an overwhelming victory.

With those two classes of people, rich and middle class, you're saying that would come to 62% of the vote? So, the incumbents get a 37% bonus? How would they get such a huge advantage? Swing votes? Ballot box stuffing? That's a huge margin!

In the US presidential races, for example, the winner take all system affords the most populous states with more electoral votes which are different from the overall popular vote. That's how a candidate could win an election by electoral votes but "lose" the popular vote. They can lose the overall majority vote, but win the election, by taking the majority of electoral votes. In the "first past the post" system, the winner has the maximum number of votes without necessarily winning the overall majority, correct? Even if things went swimmingly for the reactionary and conservative parties, how on earth did the tally come to "99.89% of the vote?"

Python, eh? Warms my geeky heart. Fantastic analysis!

well, actually, it was the "partido conservador", not the "partido moderado" ...
Oops, that happens when you don't check the names you use.

Shame on me!
and the "conservatives" that won, not the "liberals", but if I make those two changes to your post then I think I see what you mean ...
You misunderstood me here. I tried to explain the 0.10% liberal vote, and the Ten liberal seat of the 10,000 seat strong parliament. ;)

Yours,
AdL

P.S. Don't forget that there are, say 10,000 single-seat circonscriptions (= 100,00%). In 9,990 of them (99.90%), the conservative "partido conservator" got a however thin majority and thus won those seats.

P.P.S. That Mexican election was a bit like than OTL-US-presidential-election of 1984. See the map here.

Last edited:
With those two classes of people, rich and middle class, you're saying that would come to 62% of the vote? So, the incumbents get a 37% bonus? How would they get such a huge advantage? Swing votes? Ballot box stuffing? That's a huge margin!... how on earth did the tally come to "99.89% of the vote?"

Glad you share my confusion :). But with the enlightenment of Alan deLane and Prawnstar, at least now we have a plausible theory:

1) the partido conservador gets roughly 31% of the share of the vote - roughly 30% of the middle-class vote, and roughly 32% of the upper-class vote.

2) this very slim plurality is enough that in race after race, seat after seat, they win - 30 to 28 here, 31 to 29 there, 29 to 28 over yonder, etc.

3) So it's not that they won 99% of the votes, it's that they won 99% of the seats.

This all hangs together, if you include the "incumbent bump" that I posited in my last past. My intuition is that this "bump" would be affected by militancy, so in the next round of elections I'm going to run this same analysis again (perhaps less detailed this time :)), and we'll see if it holds up.

Python, eh? Warms my geeky heart. Fantastic analysis!

Thank you sir, hope the coding style wasn't too bad :)

So putting this all together, here's the current theory:
  • The 'electorate vote' is determined by dot-producting the issues times the parties, and then giving a 'bump' to the incumbent
  • The 'idelogy' is as of yet a mystery.
  • Whoever is in #1 in the 'electorate vote', in a first-past-the-post system, will win a crushing victory

This would also mean that the 'events' are there to let you 'nudge' things - in a close race between parties A and B, if you consistently make your POPs a little more in favor of A's issues, and/or a little more against B's issues, you might be able to swing the election. So the smart thing to do is to write down the issues amongst the electorate, and the parties' issues, on a piece of paper when election season starts, and then resort to that when deciding what to do (assuming you care which party wins).

How about this explanation:

Pops check their ideology first and then go on to check which of the right ideology parties agrees to their issues.

Granted, Moderado Liberal are Pro Military, which is closer to the majority of the voters, BUT what if a large number of the "pro military" guys is actually liberal? Then most of the conservative guys might actually see their issues more closely matched by the conservators.

Given their lead position, predicted by Victoria itself in first past the post obviously gets most of the seats, here close to all.

I'm not entirely clear on this issue but I believe POPs vote according either to issues or to ideology. The determining factor is consciousness IIRC.

The political parties reform also give a boost to the party in power during elections according to which level of the reform is selected.

take Washington and Belize if you can, focus on land tech, and once your war ends with UK attack CSA and take Oklahoma before USA reannexes CSA, which seems very-very likely to happen, then go to annex the central states, they were once under control of New Spain (Mexico)

thanks for posting theokrat!

How about this explanation:

Pops check their ideology first and then go on to check which of the right ideology parties agrees to their issues.

That was my first idea, but it seemed to fail two tests:
a) there is only one reactionary party, but it gets much less of the vote than the percentage of the electorate that has the reactionary ideology. If the issues are only the "tie-breaker" within an ideology, and there's only one party of that ideology, then they should get 100% of that, shouldn't they?

b) if people vote ideology first, what determines ideology? If you just looked at the party popularities based on issues, you get a very different ideological split than what the game was showing.

These two made me think it's not ideology based, hence my supposition (which gosam also mentions) that it's a bonus just to the ruling party. However, ideology must come in there somewhere - the chase is still afoot :)

So it's not that they won 99% of the votes, it's that they won 99% of the seats.

This is the only way I can see this making sense. If that's the case, then the terminology is a little confusing. That definitely fits with a "winner take all" election because in any given province they would only need to win by one vote to take all of the provinces seats. That seems analogous to the electoral college system we have in the US.

I'm not entirely clear on this issue but I believe POPs vote according either to issues or to ideology. The determining factor is consciousness IIRC.

The political parties reform also give a boost to the party in power during elections according to which level of the reform is selected.

This is (at least one of) the missing pieces, thanks Gosam! I just checked, and yes indeed under my current reform level, the ruling party gets a 5% boost - as my calculations showed around a 9% boost, this goes a long way to solving things.

To repeat, the current best guess algorithm is:

a) dot-product each POPs issues with those of the various parties.
b) normalize.
c) add 5% to the ruling party (or whatever the 'political parties' reform says)
d) re-normalize.

et voila, we would get very close to the "electorate vote" pie charts.

a) there is only one reactionary party, but it gets much less of the vote than the percentage of the electorate that has the reactionary ideology. If the issues are only the "tie-breaker" within an ideology, and there's only one party of that ideology, then they should get 100% of that, shouldn't they?
Well your ruling party is residency only, and only 70% of the poor and 90% of the rich are of Mexican culture. Given that the rest likely recently immigrated and that immigration is more likely by militant pops and given that militant conservatives turn reactionary it would make sense to see more reactionaries in the general population than in those allowed to vote...

Thanks, badger_ken, for all the effort here. Vicky 2 is still a shiny new toy and I appreciate your work in pulling all the different knobs and pushing all the buttons, even the ones you are not supposed to. Half the time, I think yeah, I found that out the hard way, too. The other half are a revelation to me.

Although I found the politics much too confusing to follow.

Good luck with the war. It has been my experience that the UK are the Geordie Laforge of Vicky 2. Always looking to slap down a containment war to prevent a warp core breach of badboyness.

Well your ruling party is residency only, and only 70% of the poor and 90% of the rich are of Mexican culture. Given that the rest likely recently immigrated and that immigration is more likely by militant pops and given that militant conservatives turn reactionary it would make sense to see more reactionaries in the general population than in those allowed to vote...

thanks for the input theokrat , but I don't think that's it, as the ideology pie chart was already filtered to only show the ideologies of the voting electorate. For example, in the example I focused on, 19% of the middle class was of 'reactionary' ideology, but only 12% of them were willing to vote reactionary.

Thanks, badger_ken, for all the effort here. Vicky 2 is still a shiny new toy and I appreciate your work in pulling all the different knobs and pushing all the buttons, even the ones you are not supposed to. Half the time, I think yeah, I found that out the hard way, too. The other half are a revelation to me.

Although I found the politics much too confusing to follow.

Good luck with the war. It has been my experience that the UK are the Geordie Laforge of Vicky 2. Always looking to slap down a containment war to prevent a warp core breach of badboyness.

thanks for the excellent metaphor! :) And thanks for the words of encouragement, the game is frustrating that way - I don't mind a complicated system, but I would like it to be an internally consistent one. I think that I feel like I now have a reasonable understanding of the political system, the economic system is one in which the numbers just don't add up. Maybe I'll try to unravel that one again sometime....

Last edited:
I re-read the sections about politics and vote and there's still one aspect left:

how do POPs choose their ideology?

Have you, badger_ken, or someone else an explanation? ... and maybe found a way to influence POPs into choosing this or that or yonder ideology?

Yours,
AdL

P.S. I'm looking forward to the other aspects of the game being explored/explained ...

Coming back to theokrat's point about the residency requirement, let's take a look at your numbers for Partido Imperialista:

And right away, if you look a little, things seem odd. There is one 'reactionary' party, the 'Partido Imperialista'. If 12.8% of the middle class will vote for it, then why are they shown as '19.4%' reactionary ideology? Why do the two yellow liberal parties add up to 36% of the electorate, but 45% of the 'ideology'?

Such and such a percentage of the middle class are Mexican residents. Of the Mexican residents who form the reactionary ideological block, they may not form 19.4% of the electorate, but only 12.8%. We almost need an OLAP cube to accurately analyze this. Also, the middle class only get half of what the wealthy get (and is it possible that among the wealthy, there are non-residents?). And then, among the middle class voters, they will divide according to ideological stances and issues.

There's another way to look at the votes vs. seats issue in the final count. In Mexico right now, the voting can only take place for the lower house, and lower house elections take place on a province by province basis. Among the POPs of a province (yet another variable), they will sway the "vote" of that province one way or the other, winner take all. There may be an advantage to the ruling party during an election, but if the province votes are tallied, given the residency requirement and issues/ideologies involved, it's very possible that Partido Conservador came out with 98.89% of the "vote".