• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
You can give subsidied to POPs so they can afford their needs more easily?

You can subsidize imports with tarrifs which allows them to buy more goods for their money.

Very nice :cool: The AAR is doing a great job of highlighting how the game works, what all the stuff does in practise. It's just as good as OHGamer's.

How are your relations with China? I certainly don't like the look of 60,000+ troops on your border, irregulars or not.

Thanks, glad you people like it and it is helpfull! :D and about my relations with China, it is 65 at the moment which is slightly positive but we aren't friends. And if you think 60k is much.....wait for a while longer.

Btw, what would have been better prestige-wise, annexing Korea straight away or fighting small wars for the chunks of it?

I would have gained some infamy with every war. But had I taken it slowly and in several steps it would have been better prestig-wise.

:O korea got low literacy ... you went from 40 -> 32% from conquering them so they must have like 10% literacy ... more than enough reason to put them under shogunate rule. Its just to teach them all for their own sake ;)

What if you had taken Korea in 3 steps instead of one. Wouldnt that have given you 20 more prestige? (10 for each won war) though i dunno how it would have affected the infamy.

:O korea got low literacy ... you went from 40 -> 32% from conquering them so they must have like 10% literacy ... more than enough reason to put them under shogunate rule. Its just to teach them all for their own sake ;)

What if you had taken Korea in 3 steps instead of one. Wouldnt that have given you 20 more prestige? (10 for each won war) though i dunno how it would have affected the infamy.

1. Literacy in Korea is even lower, between 5 and 10 %.

2. Looks like waging war for a state at the time would 'cost' me 10 infamy and net me 5 prestige for every war. So a conquest at once was more effective. Altough, should I do it again I would do it in a few steps.

2mhu6u9.jpg
Chapter X: The Storm from the West

Let's start this chapter with a quick overview of the changes in the world. As stated before Scandinavia has formed. The Ottomans have expanded in North-Africa and lost some territory to Egypt in Asia minor (looks like it). Texas is gobbled up by Mexico as expected and that's all I notice. (is there more to see?)

im6pp2.jpg

10nrkg6.jpg

10544n6.jpg

1844 would prove to be an eventful year. First of all there was the grumbling of the Korean populace in January. In two provinces the militancy and consciousness increased. Having finished my first warship, a frigate, I was now thinking of another corps of three or four brigades to 'police' Korea. Preparations were halted when the Europeans proposed to set up a Military mission in Japan. This is interesting, an additional 2% research modifier. Yes, the militancy would increase once more but I can handle that, I hope.

29m4pbq.jpg

eapd3p.jpg

When the Europeans propose to reform the army, giving me a big leadership bonus, I seriously hesitate. The small raises in militancy so far have not been a problem. This one could prove to be the start of a difficult period. So yes, I want to reform my army by European standards, I want to expand it and kick out the samurai and old-fashioned sword-wielding spiritual warriors, replacing them with efficient and well-drilled, fire-arm-armed peasants. But doing it now, all at once, is too soon and too swift for me. Besides, the gain in prestige when I decline is much more interesting. The most difficult of the several requirements to become civilised is the prestige. This boost will give me all I need at once, and my population will be happy because of it. Win-win.

24d0wop.jpg

seanwk.jpg

Now all I need to do is researching Rights of Man, finished in early 1846, and Post-Napoleonic Thought which will probably take me some five years. By 1851, 1852 at the latest the Meiji Restoration will happen and Japan will become a civilized country.

Then there are my artisans in Edo. A year has passed and most people have no problem buying their life- and daily-needs, apart from this group that is. What to do about it?

n3x83t.jpg

Are those laborers or artisans? Is the goods they are producing profitable?

Good to see nothing too wacky has happened around the world so far. Scandinavia forming isn't that bad and is rather quite cool. As long as it doesn't happen every game.

Nice, seems like you'll be able to start Meiji Restoration somewhat earlier than happened historically.

1. Literacy in Korea is even lower, between 5 and 10 %.

2. Looks like waging war for a state at the time would 'cost' me 10 infamy and net me 5 prestige for every war. So a conquest at once was more effective. Altough, should I do it again I would do it in a few steps.

Seems about right. I lived in South Korea for nearly 6 years and I studied some Korean history. I remember that at the start of the Japanese occupation in 1910, 1% of Koreans attended school. Effectively, in 19th century Korea, only the parasitic upper class was literate plus the bureaucrats. So a 5% literacy rate sounds about right.

Also, somewhere around 30% of the population were slaves. (Slavery was abolished by the Japanese in 1894 I believe) Is that the case in the game?

I am anxious to see how accurately they portray Korea in the game. It really was an incredibly backwards place in the 19th century, seeing their population decline significantly and their economy almost totally imploding.

Anyway, I'm rambling. Keep an iron grip on Korea and keep up the good work. :)

Also, somewhere around 30% of the population were slaves. (Slavery was abolished by the Japanese in 1894 I believe) Is that the case in the game?

Slavery is actually banned right from the start of the game when playing Japan.

Slavery is actually banned right from the start of the game when playing Japan.

Sorry, what I meant was historically slavery in Korea was abolished by the Japanese after they defeated China in 1894-95.

I was interested in how they model this. Do the slaves mysteriously vanish after Japan takes control of Korea (as slavery is not allowed in Japan) or are they turned into laborers?

In V1 slaves would become laborers at least.

Sorry, what I meant was historically slavery in Korea was abolished by the Japanese after they defeated China in 1894-95.

I was interested in how they model this. Do the slaves mysteriously vanish after Japan takes control of Korea (as slavery is not allowed in Japan) or are they turned into laborers?

I'm not sure if they will be slaves. in V1 Korea didn't have any slave.

Anyway could you show us the Pacific North-West please?

I the beta AARs there were alot of problems there with the Russians taking British colombia and the British taking Oregon.

I'm looking forward to Japan's emergeance as a civilised state. I can just imagine your sudden burst in industrialisation. :D

2mhu6u9.jpg
Chapter XI: The Chinese gather

After the nice windfall in the last event I just have to ride out the coming couple of years and I'll be able to check the first few goals on my list. Money will be important but with nearly £ 250k on the bank and a 140£ in surplus every day I am not too bothered of building some factories and railroads. The main concern apart from civilizing is the possible unrest it will cause at the homefront and...., no I should say AND, the still growing Chinese forces on the Korean border. A force which has now doubled again to four armies of a total of 117.000 men strong.
You can understand, supposedly, I was quite scared when I registered this.

2m5cvv7.jpg

This new situation, almost crisis, dictates the actions for the coming years neatly. Research investments and the research plans will remain on track. At the same time the navy will be doubled so I can ship in some badly needed units as reinforcements when and if the Chinese choose to attack. Furthermore I will double the army, all regulars and at least half a dozen brigades of (expensive) artillery. Half of this army will be monitoring the border while the other half will be kept on the home-isles, to put down any future unrest caused by reforms, and in the remainder of the Korean peninsula.

33jrec9.jpg

Above you can see the effect of my 'building-spree' on the budget. Instead of gaining 140£ a month I now lose 230£. Three infantry and one artillery brigade, some 21.000 men and a frigate. Most of them will be finished in about three months when I order the same amount. And again, and again and again. Soldier POPs enough as I currently have 15 brigades and can support 136. To be on the safe side I will invest some more in the military and raise the slider to 75%.
The current Chinese army has a score of 260 which is over three times mine. They have in fact, the strongest military in the world. O boy, how is it possible I didn't see this earlier?

28sq6mh.jpg

By early 1847 the army has expanded and tripled like no one could believe a couple of years previously. The two armies on the border in Korea, commanded by the best generals, now numbered 54.000 men, backed up by a reserve-force of 12.000 with some 15.000 more to the south. In Japan proper 27.000 soldiers constituted a nice reserve if necessary. The total army now is 108.000 men strong, just about the size of the Chinese forces on our border. The military score has risen to only 107 so only God knows how many brigades the Chinese have armed and ready beyond in the Fog of War.

18otfm.jpg

rssrv7.jpg

The navy is doubled in size and tippled in strength as well. Two fleets of three transports each, one of them protected by a frigate. A third fleet commanded by an able admiral composed of two frigates and a 'men o' war'. To complete it all European officers teach instruct our rank on tactics and drill the ranks. We now have only 36 of the 148 brigades we can possibly support so if they come, let them come!

25u3y9j.jpg

In 1836 Korea has 6% slaves. When I took and checked their POP I didn't notice any so they must have become laborers. And quite happy ones I guess ;)

And some north-western America.

30m3fgm.jpg

So the military mission can fire multiple times?