• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Chapter XIII.
Epitaph of a Tyrant
"No dictator, no invader, can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the world than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot stand."

Michael Straczynski, Polish Humanist
__________________________________________________​
Trial of Federico Cattaneo​
The loyalist regiments under Cattaneo, already resentful of the months of unpaid service, mutinied en masse when news arrived that Clavarezza's rebel forces have besieged the capital. Within a few short days, the city fell without resistance. Cattaneo and the few remaining loyalists were arrested (Liguria falls to rebels).

The trial of Doge Cattaneo in December of 1545 was a strange affair by any reckoning. It was mostly intended to be a show trial, exhibiting to all the guilt of Federico Cattaneo. But this aspect was shadowed by the need for haste, as if the accusations against the Doge was the last battle of the Civil War, something that had to be won by swift and relentless action. The trial could not last long anyways due to political circumstances – since that would give the Doge a stage in public to play the role of the innocent victim. An extended performance could rally the whole of Liguria to him, destroying the fragile peace. Therefore the noblemen resolved that the trial would not last long, regardless of the defense presented by the Doge's lawyers. Legal formalities should in principle be observed, but the play must only have one inevitable conclusion.

The charges against the Doge were read by Clavarezza himself:
Federico Cattaneo, having been trusted with the power to govern according to and by the laws of the land, had maliciously erected a limitless and tyrannical rule conspiring to overthrow the rights and liberties of the people. With such a machination of design, he had traitorously commissioned war against the present Council, dissolving it without constitutional precedence, and thus personally responsible for the death, destruction, and disasters to have befallen the land. For these crimes, Federico Cattaneo is condemned to death as tyrant, traitor, and murderer.”​

Cattaneo's only response was:
I represent the liberty of my people more than any who have come to be my accuser”​

The next day, he is beheaded in the Piazza.

dominco.jpg

The rest of the surviving loyalists, mostly the Savvi Grandi and their families who had supported Cattaneo, were exiled to the new penal colonies established along the West African coast. Indeed, the West African coast became something of a dumping ground for the Genoese disenfranchised – beggars and orphans, prostitutes and political criminals - all those who might burden the public purse were sent to the harsh penal colonies.

sierraleonepenal.jpg

Africacolonization-1.gif

A Hero's Welcome
On August 1547, almost twelve years after he first set sail, Andrea Adorno returned from his expedition to Cathay. Delayed by bad weather and hostile local chieftains, he nevertheless returned with a ship laden with pepper, cumin, cinnamon, and other riches of the Orient. But, he did not receive the hero's welcome he expected. He returned to find his previous supporters executed or exiled and his estates confiscated by the new government. Upon docking at Liguria, his ship's cargo was seized by the state and his person thrown into prison for “subversion against the Republic and conspiracy with the traitor Cattaneo to undermine the Council.”

spicetrade.jpg

And so, in two years, one of the greatest explorers of the time is to die, destitute and alone, in the cold damp cell of a debtor's prison.

Meanwhile, Adorno's valuable cargo is able to secure new loans for the provisional government from the Medici banks in nearby Florence, serving as collateral until repayment in full (in-game, the interest rate on the loan is 4% due to modifiers from “content commercial faction”).

bankloan.jpg

The loan bought a new lifeline for the fragile government, allowing it to payoff the wages owed to the veteran soldiers of the war.

socialspending.jpg

Unintended Consequences
The civil war brought on a collapse of Cattaneo's censorship on Lutheran literature and other sectarian pamphlets – leading to various sects seizing the opportunity to publish their views and practice their religion openly and defiantly. One of the many attempts to democratize religion came with the insistence of the sects on the right of any man, and in some instances, any woman, to preach. This was, naturally, condemned by the Catholic establishment, which urged the new government to reinstitute censorship laws.

clericscondemn.jpg

Separatists such as the Hutterites, Anapabtists, and Calvinists rejected even the idea of a state church and ministries based on parishes with the clergy paid from compulsory tithes. These sects laid emphasis on the Spirit rather than the Word of Christianity, that is on the workings of the Holy Spirit within the individual rather than the trappings and ceremonies of the Church and its scriptures. Though the sects were more popular amongst the commoners, it also found adherents amongst the nobility. Largely politically motivated, the nobility saw the sects as a means to undermine the entrenched power of the Roman Catholic Church. In order to avoid the religious divisiveness of the past decade, Clavarezzo instituted a policy of “benign neglect” concerning the propagation of these new heresies, allowing their practitioners to live in relative peace and quiet (but always under the state's watchful eye).

calvinismpeace.jpg

While the majority of the Genoese were looking towards reform within the Catholic church, the radical sects seemed set on religious anarchy and experiment rather than reform. With the end of the Religious War within the Holy Roman Empire, however, a begrudging degree of toleration of their behavior was agreed between the various Princes of the HRE, a policy which the Republic strove to emulate.

westphalia.jpg

Governance by the Sword
Continuing the policy of conscription started by Cattaneo, a new National Army was formed by the disbanded militia, all of which fell under Clavarezza's jurisidiction. The public need for such an army was reflected in the sentiments of many. In a rousing speech during an officer-commissioning ceremony, Lord Clavarezza explained the Machiavellian rationale:

“Professional mercenaries serve only for pay and plunder, and would do all they could to prolong the fighting for their own ends, turning Genoa into another province of the Religious Wars... In Bavaria and Tuscany they fought only for spoil, rapine and destruction – we must employ men who will fight for the sake of just causes, and bear their own charge. I would rather have a thousand or two thousand honest citizens whose hearts move in unison with their blades, rather than ten thousand mercenary soldiers that only boast of their bygone glories.”​

soldierscopy.jpg

Initially the National regiments suffered the same problems which beset all armies: shortage of money to pay the soldiers, attrition, and desertion. In other respects, however, the National Army marked a break with the past. While the majority of its officers were aristocrats, they were appointed for their proficiency rather than social status or wealth. Freed from local interests and a regional base, the new National army was mobile and flexible, with a great social and geographical mix among its officers and foot soldiers. However, the democratic nature of the army was to become a hotbed of radical ideas and debates that will forever change the direction of the new Republic.

Considering the nature and formation of the new National army, it is not surprising to find it become a political force. Unlike the condotta of old, the soldiers were open and aware of the influence of sectarian congregations within their homeland. A strong religious ideology developed within the rank and file of the army as they saw themselves as the instruments of Divine Providence.

Within a few months, a “Commission of Inquiry” of the army was created and a number of reforms presented to the provisional government. Since they were truly a people's army, the Commission's suggestions found a wide-based of support, particularly in Liguria itself. The interests were far-ranging and reflected the wishes of everyone from religious radicals to craftsmen, merchants to shopkeepers. They demanded for liberty of conscience, legal reforms and equal application of laws, the end of imprisonment for debt, the abolition of trade monopolies and the end of press censorship. Unlike the other agitating groups in the Republic, the Army's proposals were backed by a show of arms, able to remove and dispose of “uncooperative leaders.”

republicadmin.jpg

Seeing no other choice but to accept the monster created by their own hands, the provisional government agreed to compromises with the National Army. Checks on the Great Council's power would be effected by a Lower House, consisting of representatives elected from constituencies in Lombardy. Decentralization of power would be achieved through an extension of the democratic franchise to local magistrates (Event: “Grant power to local authorities,” +1 decentralization), who are also elected officials. Though it is important to note that participation in the new Republic did not include servants, apprentices, or women.

Clavarezzo assumed the illustrious title of the “Protector of the Republic.” In theory, the position is to be up for election every ten years, though in practice whomever held the reigns of the Army became de-facto military head of state. Indeed, the final climactic act in this great theater of constitutional reform is the emergence of political power backed by the barrel of a gun.

Below the Protector is the “Council of Three,” in theory beholden to the Lower House and the Great Council, but in practice imbued with extraordinary powers. Indeed, the first Council of Three in the provisional government all came from the Army (in-game, this is the three advisers, which currently are a quartermaster, army reformer, and master of mint).

They could invoke “emergency legislation” to cut red tape, by-pass the slow-moving deliberations of the Great Council, are authorized to act on its own initiative, make payments out of secretive funds, and even give covert instructions for assassinations. Its limits of jurisdiction covered “all things concerning the security of the state and preservation of morals” - words so expansive as to be practically without meaning.

Further Atrocities
Weak and insecure, the first task facing the leaders of the infant Republic is to defeat the foes agitating at its borders. Accordingly, Clavarezza turned to Crete and Sicily where the rebellion against Genoese rule had continued in a desultory fashion throughout the Civil wars.

crete.jpg

With an Army of 9,000 men, all veterans of the Civil War, Clavarezza laid siege and captured the rebellious garrison on the island of Crete. What followed was one of the worst acts of atrocities committed in Republican history – the garrison and civilians, almost 4,000 people in total, were put to the sword and the few remaining survivors sent to the West African penal colonies. The following year, in a whirlwind campaign on the Sicilian mainland, the rebel towns were captured. Massive land confiscations followed, disenfranchising the Sicilians and leaving much of the island in the hands of Ligurian noblemen for centuries to come.

Indeed, “freedom” had no meaning for those living on the peripheries of the Republic.

With the last revolt brutally suppressed in the provinces in 1549, the Republic showed signs of the slow road to recovery. But, there still was no formally ratified Constitution in 1549 nor was there a fully functional legal civil government. The political bureaucracy was on an unavoidable collision course with the new National Army, delayed only by the charisma of Clavarezza.

goalsaccepted.jpg

So, when Clavarezza was found on 19 March 1549, sprawled in his bedchamber in a pool of blood, the fragile peace that so many have died for threatened once again to explode into violence.

deathofclavarezzo.jpg

Last edited:
I think you did a great job of tying a bunch of different gameplay elements together into a cohesive story - good job! :p

The biggest question is, will the new Doge have the skill to keep the new republic orderly? (read: nice high ADM!)

Clavarezza - like Sulla, but less good at surviving. Some interesting decisions as well and a throrough reform of the army.

Sending people to African penal colonies - might as well execute them. Mortality rates in due to tropical disease approached something like 80%.

Excellent maps and pictures as usual - but, Liguria Nuova, however. The gender of the adjective should match the gender of the noun.

Rabid
Thanks, it was fun trying to tie the disasters into a unified narrative! Unfortunately, the next Doge is something of a dolt.

RGB
I blame my American education for my terrible Latin ;p.

Your comment about the African penal colonies is very true - I had this graph from one of my prof's lectures in mind when I wrote that part in:

deathbymigration.jpg

1 in 2 chances of dying in Sierra Leone (precisely where the Genoese are exiled) in the 1800s for a British soldier. The attrition rates in 1540 must be even more horrendous!

Clavarezza is dead, long live Clavarezza!

Anyways, I take it that Genoa at the moment is basically the French Revolution 240 years early? Or not quite that bad?

Clavarezza had good stats, though. Shame he died. Still, Semper Tyrannis, he was pretty much a tyrant. Looking forward to the struggles of the next ruler.

So you weathered the storm, it seems. 'Reneging the past' is the question of, hmm... the past. Nationalists defeated. Religious turmoil in HRE over. The government strengthened. There is/are loan/s to be paid - but you control rich provs, so this is a question of time.

Most importantly, the dim-witted AI haven't spotted your weakness. :)

A few questions. Did you go bankrupt, or did you collapse, or what? Have any of your provs actually converted? What is your adm efficiency now - important as with new colonies your realm will grow ever bigger? Religiously, are there any bigger countries, save England, that converted?

Another Round!!!! man ubiek knows how to punish the player doesn't he :D

aldriq
Thanks. Yes, sometimes politicians just need that extra "convincing" that their time in office is up ;p. I would change into a Republican Dictatorship, but alas, that option isn't available yet for some time

wolfcity
Yeah, the worst is fortunately over for now. But stability is still a big issue (takes 4 years to get from -1 to 0).

gabor
My economy isn't doing so well. The rebels weren't a huge problem since they were mostly peasants (apart from the Nationalists in Sicily and a few in Naples). But inflation has risen from ~0.5 before reneging the past to 2.5 now. I did not collapse but I'm pretty much just taking new loans to finance the previous loan to keep the country going. Interest rates are still low due to the commercial faction modifier.

I think the loans -> finance new loans route very much portrays the realities of the day. Being able to raise credit in the financial markets is a huge boon to the countries of the time (one of the primary reasons the Dutch were able to beat back the Spanish during their war of independence).

My government is now "competent" due to switching. None of my provinces have converted despite the Reformation starting so close (apart from a few reformed communities in Naples and Sicily).

Here's a religious map of Europe - should have posted this earlier.

religion.jpg

Pietbont
Thanks! Ragusa - that's quite a challenge and a very commendable one. I dare you to survive more than 50 years against the constant DoWs from Austria ;p

SplendidTuesday
Ah, not quite like the French Revolution. It's still too early for a concept of nationalism in the 16th century.
If only Genoa had a Napoleon-esque leader at its helm... but I doubt the Republic would survive getting DoWed by every Prince of Europe ;p

... My economy isn't doing so well. ... But inflation has risen from ~0.5 before reneging the past to 2.5 now. I did not collapse but I'm pretty much just taking new loans to finance the previous loan to keep the country going. Interest rates are still low due to the commercial faction modifier.

I think the loans -> finance new loans route very much portrays the realities of the day. Being able to raise credit in the financial markets is a huge boon to the countries of the time (one of the primary reasons the Dutch were able to beat back the Spanish during their war of independence)...

Yes, this is very interesting and about what I expected. TBH, it looks like you are doing better then you should be here. I'm wondering if the commercial modifiers are out-of-whack due to HttT factors or if this deserves more attention from us for the game. /ponders

Is it possible that Rome can turn Protestent or something in the Reformation?

This is a very interesting religious situation. England, Denmark and Poland as Protestant countries: quite historical. Catholic Sweden fits in. Northern Germany abandoning Catholicism is nice, thogh I don't get why Thuringia clings to the old faith while all its provs are Reformed.

What I don't like, and what has been already brought up in the discussion forum, is Lith and OE speed-converting their provs. It was a bit slower in MMP.

I think you survived the worst. The costs are not that high. 2.5 inflation is nothing. As soon as you get to +1 stab, it'll be easier to pay off the loans and you'll be in the black again. True, it can take some time and you'll have to wait with some investments or conquests, or even slow down colonisation a bit (which goes more smoothly in times of peace anyway). But with your 'competent' government I know you'll make it. :)

Chapter XIV.
Dreams of El Dorado
“I and my companions suffer from a disease of the heart which can be cured only with gold.”

Hemando Cortés, Spanish Conquistador

With Clavarezza's brutal murder, the clear candidate for succession became Donato Negrone, a distinguished General of the National Army. During the first days of his election, murmurs were heard about how Negrone orchestrated the whole murder, thus securing his position as Protector of the Republic. Within a few weeks, those murmurs were silenced, and the rumor-mongers never to be seen again. Clavarezza's murder was shored up as the doings of a vengeful lover. A kitchen maid was sentenced, summarily executed, and the whole ugly business hushed up.

negrone.jpg

These events help define the current disposition of the Republic. The country, exhausted by years of civil war, cowed into submission by the National Army, deprived of the liberty of thought by the intolerance of the Counter-Reformation, was fast losing its humanist vitality; and what Genoese that were left in Genoa were either enervated in luxury in the upper classes and lackeys of the Army, or beggars living off the charity of the Church. The income gap was widening.

True, the voyages of Andrea Adorno and other subsequent journeys to the Orient was catapulting Liguria to an European entrepôt – muslins from Bengal, brocades from Gujarat, alum from the Black Sea, pepper from the Calicut coast, and the teas and silks of China all passed through Liguria. Negrone was fast become the richest head-of-state in Europe and the Republic the commercial capital of the Mediterranean. However, beneath its appearance of seeming prosperity, the Genoese Republic was rotten to the core. Nothing illustrates this case better than its chief position in the Atlantic slave trade.

Black Gold
The Genoese were not new to the slave trade. Booty in the form of slaves was always a profitable byproduct to warfare and piracy, and it was the trade in slaves which attracted the Genoese and other “entrepreneurs” to explore the Atlantic coasts of Morocco and the Canary Islands back in the 14th century. This was not in the least bit troubling to the Genoese humanists – after all even the ancient Greeks and Romans took solace from the necessary connection between slavery for some and freedom for others. In this respect, Christopher Columbus proved to be a true son of Genoa in his hunt for human cargo with the Castillian crown.

Ever since the fall of Constantinople in 1453, slaves from the Black Sea became increasingly rare in Genoa. Demand was also rising both at home and abroad – the colonies required slaves to work the dangerous sugar plantations while Genoa needed slaves for its domestic industries. Demand for female slaves was particularly high, since the regulated brothels in the cities were forbidden from employing free women.

It is under these conditions that the first colonies were established along the West African coast. Collaboration in the Senegal and with the nearby kingdom of Mali prove to be particularly lucrative – Genoese traders found that local chiefs were ready to pay from nine to fourteen men for one horse (Sierra Leone produces slaves as trade good). The Church condoned, and even encouraged these activities – for the Africans were heathen, and forced-labor in Christian lands could perhaps lead to eventual salvation of their souls.

slaves.jpg

Following Iberian Leads

In the history of states, as in those of businesses, expansion rather than wise contraction has often been the response to growing weakness. Faced with escalating costs of maintaining colonies both in Brazil and West Africa, the Council sought to make the empire more self-sufficient. Above all, the West African colonies was to abandon the old principles of reliance on sea power, and embark on extensive campaigns of conquest to acquire a territorial empire like that of the Castillians.

In embarking on this policy of conquest and expansion, the Council was urged by several forces. Firstly, the continual agitation of the army and its presence on the Italian peninsula is an untenable position – aggression towards foreign enemies serve as a promising distraction for the internal dissent and problems at home. Conquests also provided the ordinary soldiers with command positions, with plunder and with opportunities to acquire lands, rents and incomes. Indeed, one such captain, a vagabond by the name of Luigi da Novi, was to lead the first expedition past the Senegal river.

conquistador.jpg

Other factions agreed with the enterprise as well. Colonists in Liguria Nuova and Sierra Leone believed that greater security for these core settlements could be achieved by establishing “buffer zones” between them and hostile native tribes, while the mercantile faction believed that conquests would reinforce the crumbling structure of commercial monopolies. So zealous were their conviction that deeds for charter companies were drawn, dividing the whole interior of Africa into provinces for potential Genoese expansion.

colonistscontent.jpg

This “forward” imperial policy was also justified in terms of a revived ideology of empire. The Republic was beginning to revert to archaic notions of crusade and chivalry, reflecting the mentality of the slightly crazed Negrone and his advisers, while the spirit of the Counter-Reformation hardened religious attitudes and approved a spirit of intolerance and persecution.

Towards Timbuktu

maliking.jpg

The legendary wealth of Mali has long spurred Genoese imagination. Coupled with the recent Castillian discovery of mountains of silver ore in Potosí, the Genoese were convinced that similar mountains existed deep within the interior of the despotic empire. The expedition led by Luigi da Novi landed in Sierra Leone in 1554, looking for a valid excuse to begin hostilities against the Muslim empire.

That excuse came the next week. Luigi became convinced that the African sleeping sickness and malaria afflicting his expedition force is the result of poisoned drinking wells, doubtlessly an insidious plot by the Muslim Malinese traders. His soldiers seized as many of the Muslims as they could and massacred them – even decades of co-operation and slave-trading with the Malinese had not eliminated the tendency of uneducated soldiers to blame any misfortune they suffered on Muslim machinations.

warmali.jpg

In a three year campaign, the expedition scored victory after victory. Ironically, it is precisely the centralized state mechanism of the Mali kingdom in comparison to the other African tribes that became their undoing. Roads, bridges, and royal storehouses of food in Timbuktu were used to great advantage by the advancing Genoese army. Without the availability of such infrastructure, it would have been impossible to move draught oxen and horses across the vast hostile African interior.

battleofgabu.jpg

sierraleonebattle.jpg

In each skirmish, it was the cavalry charge which proved to be decisive in the engagement. The lack of brush cover and undulating slopes of the Sahara means that infantry divisions are quickly flanked by the mobile troops. However, it should be noted that Luigi faced much greater resistance than Cortez or Pizarro ever did. The Genoese had to battle against determined fighters with well-made iron weapons, as opposed to the Castillians against naked Indians armed only with stone-age weapons. Furthermore, the attrition rate due to disease was horrendous. Whereas Pizarro and Cortez had the advantage of European smallpox weakening the Indian populations before any battle was fought, in Africa it was malaria, and other diseases to which Africans were largely immune, which destroyed over half the Genoese expedition force.

battleoffutajallon.jpg

The governance of annexed provinces was shaky at best. Grants of land would be given to the soldiers, who although technically still under the National Army's payroll, became de-facto Barons in their fiefdom. Precious metals and mines would be seized, with the local population forced to extract the valuable ore. Within a few years, a collection of Genoese trading communities would emerge along the trans-Saharan trade route, protected by strategic fortifications in the provinces. Collaboration with local chieftains, whether through extortion or bribery, is essential to the survival of the trading posts. Those tribes that did ally with the white men found themselves provided with flintlock guns and horses, allowing them to wage war effectively against their rivals. Captured prisoners would of course be sold to the Genoese traders, who could always fetch a healthy profit off the black slaves once they arrive in Brazil.

malipeace.jpg

Atlantictradecopy.jpg

Last edited:
It's interesting to see the development of Genoese Africa from a minor penal colony to a major source of gold and slaves.

Eurrrgh. Well, with the Sierra Leone colony, I'm not surprised this eventually happened.

I wonder if the Genoese start pushing outside Mali (which did fall to Morocoo previously, so it's at least traversable) and into Benin and other mixed-terrain areas, or will the nations there instead adopt certain European practices and become a rival or at least a major nuisance.

That said, I would not want to be a Baron of Senegal if I could be a wealthy merchant captain instead. The latter offers me more survival likelihood, due to disease again.

And may I once again remark about the cleverness of combining pictures with event screenshots?

EDIT: What is that font you keep using for your maps? The handwritten one?

Last edited:
Africa is way too rich in this mod. Why bother colonizing when you can just seize the rich gold mines of Mali and Mutapa? And the whole Swahili coast is richer in production goods than pretty much anywhere else except India, the Caribbean and the East Indies; plus it's easy to get a blackout in Zanzibar because so few people know about it. If you get African territory early enough for it to core, then you can corner the slaves and ivory markets and go up the anchorage line of buildings for incredible production revenue.

It's too easy, really. I think that the trade value for slaves and ivory should be reduced, and, instead, the primary use of slaves in your empire should be a couple of otherwise worthless colonies to boost the value of sugar and cotton. And areas like Mali and Mutapa should have incredible attrition to simulate malaria, or European troops venturing there should be wiped out by event if they venture inland.

Awesome AAR, by the way.

I only just found this AAR, it is a great read. I particularly like the historyesque details and how you blend gameplay elements with the narrative and manage to keep the mood sufficiently pessimistic (or should I say dramatic? It is a bit hard to define) or at least distanced despite your gameplay successes. :)

Will be following.

dinofs
Indeed, the scramble for Africa (300 years early) is a bit too profitable.

RGB
Hehe, you don't approve? Historical plausibility is completely ignored with the conquest of Mali. The African natives are a bit too easy to conquer in this game - especially considering much of the interior wasn't accessible to Europeans until the 19th century.

I do plan to cut a swathe to Italian Eritrea/Ethiopia - at least that wouldn't be so far fetched.

Yeah, merchant-captains would make more sense. But then again, these are uncouth, uneducated, skill-less soldiers/vagabonds/adventurers in Africa. Any
pretensions of title and land is bound to be attractive.

Thanks for the continuous compliments - you're too kind :). And yes, the font is "Handwriting - Dakota" in both GIMP and Photoshop (not sure which one you use).

wolfcity
That I shall!

Parcae
I agree. Whenever I play an Italian state, I'm always obsessed with some permutation of Mare Nostrum or conquest of Africa ;p.

However, after the 1650s/1700s, colonies in Brazil (especially the ones with Tobacco or Brazilwood) start far outstripping gold/gem colonies in Africa once you build up the anchorage -> colonialstapleport improvements. But yeah, Slaves + Ivory are ridiculously profitable. Africa is way overpowered ;).

Urza
Another MMP player! I'm honored and hope you will continue to follow my exploits.
-------------

On another note - I'm at a loss at how to proceed with justifying Italian unification in a historically-plausible context. Just chuck it all out the window and Viva la revolution?