• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
asd21593: Thank you sir! I hope to keep them coming from now on

Carlstadt Boy: Thank you. I am continuing it on my blog, but first I have to post the 55+ chapters there.

yourworstnightm: Thank you!

Keep up the support. Tell your friends!

Wait, are you continuing this on your blog, here, or on both? I really want to see the conclusion of this, and either way is fine with me. In fact, the blog may be even better because it isn't blocked at school, and I could reread it if I so choose during the boring bits.

Anyways, the non HOI part is ok as long as you have great maps.

Can't wait until next update, as always

I'm trying to continue it on both.

Wonderful AAR! I just finished to read it.

God Save Us All - Part Seven
Fall Grün

Chapter 59 - Attack and Retreat

July 3rd, 1945

Following their sound defeat at Mons, Alexander and the BEF were forced to retreat to a defensive line near Halle, about 15 miles southwest of Brussels. It is from here that the BEF and what nearby Belgian units that hadn’t completely collapsed would attempt a counterattack into Guderian’s exposed right flank.

Alexander amasses what boxes he has left to use as a spearhead for the attack. The BEF’s armored forces, consisting of the 2nd Armored Division and a brigade of the 4th Armored Division, were equipped mainly the Mk VIII “Cromwell” cruiser tank. The British Army was just beginning to be equipped with the “Centurion,” a box on par with the Prussian Panther or Saxe-Bavarian Bloodhound, but none of these vehicles had reached service by the time hostilities broke out.

Cromwell.jpg
A British Cromwell in a Belgian Village​

These units, heavily outnumbered and outgunned by Guderian’s Kasten units, nonetheless fight valiantly and are able to slice into the Prussian’s thinly guarded flank in front of Brussels. This is due in part to the continued performance of the RAF who despite being outnumbered almost 3 to 1 by French and Prussian units, have been able to check the Axis Powers’ initial air superiority through their superior training and aircraft.

Under the cover of these units, many of them veterans of Spanish Civil War as members of the Eagle Squadron, Alexander’s forces, some 3 Corps of British and Belgian forces, are able to advance unhindered by the Luftwaffe and call in air support to help with points of stiff Prussian resistance. By July 6th, three days into the counteroffensive, the BEF has carved a salient into the Prussian flank that reaches a few miles from the Meuse. Alexander’s objective was Namur, a formidable fortress town that Guderian had completely bypassed, along with the even bigger fortress at Liege.

He was not to reach his objective.

July 7th, 1945

One week into Operation Nero, and Graziani’s 8th and 11th Armies have advanced some 70 miles into Egypt at a modest pace, not wanting to outrun their supply lines despite very light British resistance. What defenders were stationed at the border soon retreated and were content to simply launch armored car raids against the Italian flanks and rear until their main force, outside of Alexandria and under the command of that old veteran of the desert war against the Turks, Claude Auchinleck, was prepared to mount a stand and (hopefully) counterattack.

In the skies above Egypt the action is much more fluid with the RAF and Regia Aeronautica locked in a fierce struggle to attain air supremacy. Unlike the War Office in London, the Italian General Staff has allotted it’s best air units to the African Front, giving Italian pilots advantages in numbers and superiority of equipment. The Italian Fiat G. 55s and Macchi C.205s are more than a match for the British Spitfires and Hurricanes they face, and the British are forced to limit the amount of sorties they fly in order to conserve their numbers as much as possible to protect the Mediterranean Fleet in Alexandria.

m-13-40-tank.jpg

Italian Boxes in the Desert, 1945.

July 9th, 1945

Despite success on his part, the BEF is forced to withdraw from all of their gains made from their slash into Guderian’s flank. Belgian resistance to it’s north had crumbled, and had they kept up the attack, Alexander’s men risked being enveloped by the Prussians.

Field Marshal Alexander, looking at the situation around him, proposes to drastically withdraw to a line between Brussels and Antwerp. Leopold III, King of the Belgians, however, will not agree to any plan that gives up Brussels without a fight. Unlike his father, King Albert, Leopold thinks with his heart more than his head, and does not care about the military risks involved with holding on to Brussels. Not wanting to abandon their Belgian allies, Chamberlain and the War Office agree on the side of Leopold. The BEF is ordered to retreat in front of Brussels.

July 12th, 1945

On the Silesian Front, Army Group Ost’s advance has slowed to a crawl. Austrian reinforcements, coupled with the strong defensive positions that the Austrians had built in the years following the Great Eastern War, had combined to put a halt to the advance of von Manstein’s troops. Unlike in the Low Countries, Austrian Lt vs. 44s and Turan III boxes are on par with the Prussian models opposite them and great box duels develop on the Central European Plains. The Austrians are content to play defense in Silesia, their main focus being on the Eastern Front against Russia.

Further West, French and British are sending continual air raids across the English Channel at each other. A British night time raid even hits Paris. The French respond by a similar night time raid on London. However, French aircraft are not at the same level as the British, who also have the advantage of a new technology called Radar. This makes any French attack a very costly one.

alarmadeBombardeoBarcelona1939.jpg

A Londoner Scans the Skies for French Bombers as Air Raid Sirens Drone.

July 13th, 1945

The BEF, having reached Brussels on the 12th, prepares for a Prussian assault onto the Belgian capital. Their retreat was a living hell. The RAF in the low countries was cracking under the stress of holding back the flood tides of the Luftwaffe, and British troops were harried by Prussian Stukas and other warplanes from the outskirts of Namur to the outskirts of Brussels.

At Army Group Westen HQ, Field Marshal Guderian has a decision to make. He knows of the BEF’s retirement to Brussels. Does he break off from Fall Grun’s planned dash to the Channel in order to find decisive battle at Brussels? Or does he keep with the plan and try to bag both the BEF and entire Belgian and Dutch armies?

To Be Continued…

It's alive. I'm in glorious shock.

Now I only need to reread and remember why things where like that...

Now I only need to reread and remember why things where like that...
You're not alone, it's been a while and things have got a bit hazy for me.

I shouldn't have restarted. To find Prussia allied with France has been (again) too much for me.

:D

Me too. I spent about 2 hours reading everything following the Great Eastern War because I had forgotten everything.

God Save Us All - Part Seven
Fall Grün

Chapter 60 - Once More Into the Breach

Pic036GermanArtillery305cm.jpg

July 14th, 1945

Guderian, after receiving the go-ahead from Oberste Heersleitung (OHL) Chief of Staff Fedor von Bock in Berlin, wheels the bulk of his forces, including the 1st Kastenarmee, northeast towards Brussels. At the same time, Field Marshsal Hoth’s forces had finally broken the Dutch lines and turns southwest for a simultaneous push towards the Belgian capital. The Dutch had done more than what CMOCC had expected from them. Utilizing tough defensive fortifications and by flooding their country in order to slow the Prussian advance, the valiant Dutch soldiers had held up Hoth’s army a week longer than OHL or CMOCC had ever expected them too, inflicting high casualties on the largely un-mechanized Prussian force. However, a flea can only hold back a thumb for so long before it is crushed, and Queen Wilhelmina flees to England.

Despite pleas from Alexander, Leopold III refuses to withdraw from Brussels, and the Field Marshal’s superiors in London agree. They do not yet realize the disaster befalling Leipzig forces in the Low Countries. The War Office cannot wrap it’s head around the sheer size, strength and power of the Prussian force facing the battered BEF and shattered Belgian Army. Like a good soldier, Alexander prepares to fight the Prussians to the best of his ability, but he has his staff prepare orders for a withdrawal to Antwerp (and England).

July 15th, 1945

British Lancaster bombers strike the French fleet at Brest, damaging 4 capital ships, including the brand new carrier the Bonaparte. Thus far into the conflict, the Royal Navy and French Navy have yet to see action against each other, although French submarines have joined the Prussian U-Boats in wreaking havoc on British shipping lanes. The Royal Navy, already stretched thin by the demands imposed on it by Prussian wolfpacks in the Atlantic, the Italian and French navies in the Mediterranean and the Japanese in the Pacific, fears an engagement with the French Atlantic Fleet that could endanger the British Home Isles. Unlike most nations, Britain’s navy was not a luxury, but a necessity for survival. Ever since the original Napoleon, Britons have feared an invasion across the channel, and the air strike on Brest is seen as one way to deal with this threat, and to draw French air units away from southern England.*

*(Author’s Note: As stated before, in ATL the French and British rivalry has been so intense that the two nation’s navies would be much larger than they were in OTL. If there was a ranking on naval size, it would go: 1. UK 2. Japan 3. France 4. United States 5. Italy.)

July 17th, 1945

The Battle for Brussels begins with a ferocious Prussian artillery and air assault on the Leipzig lines. Guderian had given up the long-held strategy of Fall Grun in order to smash the British Army, and he spared nothing in order to do so. Kastens sliced into British positions. What few British boxes left are turned to smoking hulks in the fields of the Brabant province. The BEF is thrown back from their positions in the suburbs into the city itself. It is here that the tables turn, and the British give the Prussians a lesson in urban warfare. Prussian Panthers, fearsome beasts on the European plain, are almost useless in Brussels’ narrow city streets, and the British become adept at ambushing Prussian boxes with anti-box guns. The Prussians respond by keeping their valuable boxes out of the city.

TwoWorldWarsandtheSikhs_clip_image012.jpg

A British Sikh Unit Fights In the Rubble of Brussels.

In Egypt, the Italians have reached Matruh where they encounter the famed 1st Armored Division. Not expecting to find battle until Alexandria, Graziani’s men are taken by surprise and British Cromwells rip into the Italian lines, and especially into the Italian boxes, especially those of the M17/44 variety with its 47mm cannon, although the Sahariano with its 55mm cannon and P.30 with it’s 75mm cannon fare much better, although they are still inferior to the British box models used by the 1st Armored. **

After a few hours of confusion in which many of the 11th Army’s boxes are knocked out, the Italian’s successfully punch back the British armor, which, unsupported by any other unit, is forced to withdraw. However, the effect of their strike is great. Graziani halts his advance in order to consolidate order and reorganize after the British tore great holes into his line.

**(Author’s Note: In OTL, Italian tanks were just godawful. In ATL, they are still inferior to most makes, although there have been some advances made and the Italian Armored Corps has abandoned the tankettes that were simply deathtraps in OTL. Italian armor is still thin and their boxes are usually outgunned, but in ATL they have some of the fastest boxes around, and (just as in OTL) Italian vehicles don’t use a carburetor, so sand isn’t a problem, making them perfect for desert warfare.)

July 20th, 1945

Prussian forces have fought their way into the heart of Brussels and continue to bombard the city’s defenders with artillery and aircraft, with the RAF in Belgium having been for the most part either destroyed or re-deployed to southern England for defense against French air raids, which continue to intensify. However, Prussian attempts to encircle the city have been beaten back by ferocious Allied defenders, determined not to be subjected to siege and starvation. Alexander pleads with London to allow for a withdrawal before his forces become too weak to defend another encirclement attempt. They refuse.

July 22nd, 1945

As the defenders of Brussels continue to hold out despite high casualties and dwindling supplies, a much bigger front opens in the east.

Austria-Hungary, Romania, and Saxe-Bavaria launch Operation Odin, an assault on southern Russia. Two Army Groups, one commanded by Saxe-Bavarian Field Marshal von Leeb, the other by Austro-Hungarian Field Marshal Archduk Joseph August, consisting of over 2 million men, pour over the border with Russia after a thunderous artillery assault in the early morning hours. Warplanes of every make and model from three air forces pound Russian positions and airfields, destroying hundreds of Imperial Russian Air Force planes on the ground and attaining supremacy of the skies by the end of the day.

panzer_russia.jpg

Austro-Hungarian Infantry Attack on the First Day of Odin. The Box Shown is a Turan III.

The Russian High Command is in shock. They were counting on Austria-Hungary’s mobilization to last as long as their own to protect their border. They did not factor CMOCC into those plans. Leipzig planners at the allied central command had been planning an invasion of Russian for years and had every detail down to the amount of vodka needed for every unit accounted for.

Odin hits Russia like a prize figher’s right hook. Border defenses, tirelessly worked on since 1908, were simply bypassed by the fast moving Leipzig forces, left for siege troops and aircraft to take care of at their leisure. Leipzig forces, like those of their Prussian counterparts, were centered on armor and mobility. The Saxe-Bavarian Bloodhound proved king of the battlefield, easily dispatching with any Russian tank it faced. Gains on the first day were remarkable. One Saxe-Bavarian Corps commanded by a Major General named Rommel had advanced more than 60 miles into Russian territory in the first day alone. Barely 37 years after the Great Eastern War had ended, the two great mammoths of the East were at it again, gearing up for what would become the bloodiest campaign in history.

To Be Continued…

July1945Odin.png

Map Showing Operation Odin Inlay

Could you recap to me who is fighting who? If AH and Prussia are on the same side, then Russia can kiss Poland goodbye.

Could you recap to me who is fighting who? If AH and Prussia are on the same side, then Russia can kiss Poland goodbye.

Axis (France, Russia, Prussia, Italy) vs. Leipzig Pact (Great Britain, Austria-Hungary(and Romania, basically a puppet), Saxe-Bavaria, Belgium and Holland)