• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Chapter 11: The Rhodoks War
26 September 1257

Dear Diary,

It's war, and I'm deeply involved. Last month the kingdom of Rhodoks and Swadia collided, and even though I originally wanted to seek out the lords and ladies of my marked territory, I got dragged into this fight more and more. The past two weeks have been very exciting: I really feel alive. And the king now actually listens to my advise, which is also a good sign. I'm gaining influence pretty fast. It's hard to believe it's only six months since I arrived in these lands as a beggar: now I'm a trusted count of the king of Swadia.

When I left my castle two weeks ago, I rode to the Nord city of Dhirim, only to find it under siege by the main Vaegir army. I asked all the lords if they had something to do for me, in the hope I could improve my relation with some of them, but unfortunately no-one had something to do for me. Understandable, since they were busy conquering a city, which they managed to do. Nowadays it's a Vaegir city, although I'm still much liked over there.

011a.jpg

Dhirim was besieged by the main Vaegir army, who couldn't think of something to do for me.

From Dhirim, I rode to Uxkhal, where I heard the plea of a merchant: his daughter was kidnapped, and he was searching for a brave warrior to take the ransom to the bandits. I had experience with this: it even were the same bandits, although it was a different girl. This time we had a nice cup of tea before we concluded the deal. It was nice doing business with them: they were professionals. I also promised to take some ale to Narra, but rode firstly in the opposite direction. I rode to Suno, where I promised to guide a caravan to Tihr, although I planned to take a detour via Praven. My girl was awaiting there. Underway I encountered near the village of Iyindah the Swadian main army. From this moment on I was sucked into the war, becoming the decorated hero I'm now.

I had noticed before that Rhodoks and Swadia look very similar: the war showed me they were each others equals. Maybe I could tilt the balance in favour of Swadia, and let my star rise more in the eyes of the Swadia court. These thoughts flashed through my mind a dozen of times while I rode from the army towards Praven, until I saw a battle take place. Count Plais of Swadia was fighting against count Fudreim. Leading my men into battle, I managed to tilt the balance and save the day, and also free count Montewar from captivity. The taste of victory is sweet, and I rode along the border many times the past two weeks, and helped several counts with their battles.

011b.jpg

Wherever I go, I see fighting nobles: I aided the Swadian counts a dozen of times, leading armies to thunder against our Rhodoks neighbours.

My actions made such an impression on the nobles, that count Delinard, the appointed marshal of the Swadian army, send word for me last week: he wanted me to join the big boys in the fight against Rhodok. This was good news, and after delivering the ale to Narra, I rode on to Uxkhal, to meet the count just outside town. When I approached the city, I saw a fierce fight going on between the armies of the Swadian count Rochabarth and the Rhodek count Fudreim, and intervened. After winning the battle, count Rochabarth asked me to free his father, count Tredian, from Ergellon Castle, which I pledged to do. Then I continued to meet the marshal himself.

Seeing me arriving guarding the remnants of count Rochabarths army, the marshal was impressed. He asked me to stay close, and follow him around. The main army moved forward to inspect a large column of smoke spiraling up from behind the forest: it appeared to be the village of Ruluns. Seeing the destruction of this peacefull town, the marshall wanted to make an expedition into hostile territory, to make a retribution, but he needed good intel before he could proceed. That's where he turned to me, and asked me to go to Ergellon Castle and the two surrounding villages, and bring back reports of the whereabouts.

Knowing I had to go to the castle anyway to free the count, I gladly accepted the honour, and proceeded as planned. First I rode to Serindar, and sent a messenger to the marshal reporting the status of this quiet village. Next I went to Pagundur, the town closest to the castle. There I asked the village elder to create that night an enormous fire: it would be the perfect distraction for the guards in the castle, which would enable me to sneak in and free the captured lord. Unfortunately, all hell broke loose that evening.

011c.jpg

As I rode through the night to reach Ergellon Castle, the main Swadian army started to raid the village that would create the distraction. This would end very badly if I proceeded with the plan.

The moment I left Pagundur, the entire Swadian army came raging through the forest, and started to burn the village down. Even though this created a large fire, it was the wrong kind: from the castle walls every guard could see the pillaging, and every guard in his right mind would stay behind the thick walls. The villagers weren't able to create the distraction I had needed to sneak in the castle, so I just rode up to the gate and asked to speak with someone in command. Both count Rimusk and Gerluchs were present, but neither wanted to negotiate about a release of the prisoner. Disillusioned I rode back to the poor village, to report to the marshall: instead I encountered the king himself. Using my friendship with him I managed to convince him that Ergellon was an easy catch: he only had to lay siege to the castle in order to gain more territory. Too bad the king ignored his marshall and rode alone with his private guards towards the prison.

I rode ahead, and started the siege. For quiet a while I waited for the king to arrive with his reinforcements, but none arrived. Scouting around learned me he was under attack by the main Rhodoks army. Knowing I couldn't win the siege alone, I pulled back and helped the king. Seeing the main army raging forward, I feared for my life. This was something completely different than the little skirmishes I had before: we were outnumbered eight to one. I was relieved when the thundering army came to a sudden stop, and count Reland, an important guy from Rhodoks, walked towards me. He asked me if I could lend him my best surgeon, to help a dear friend of his. Of course I would do that, as a caring noble.

011d.jpg

Count Reland of Rhodoks asked me to lend him my best surgeon.

The moment I rode back to my ranks, to instruct Jeremus to ride to the other side, king Harlaus attacked the count. Of course I couldn't do less than help the king, and together we smashed count Reland's army into oblivion. It hurt my feelings a little, since we did have a good talk, and I had said I would lend my surgeon. But now I would need him myself for my own men. After this fight, I finally rode back to Ergellon castle, in the hope I could lay siege with the king, but once I arrived, I notice the king had fled back to his own land. The coward.

As I was standing alone before the walls of Ergellon, the Rhodoks sent count Rimusk forward to flank me and destroy my army. They had underestimated me: I wiped that army out, but paid a price: my army was severely weakened, and I was finally forced to break the siege totally and return to Swadia. I decided to ride to Praven too, where I would meet my sweet maiden Gaeda again, The past few months I started to appreciate her company more and more, and I believe she starts to think the same way about me. While I rode away, count Tredian, held prisoner at the castle I had tried to lay siege and to negotiate with, was released from captivity. All my trouble, my fighting and scouting, had been for nothing. Well, nothing... My standing in the kingdom has improved much, and it wouldn't surprise me if a big reward would come my way soon.

011e.jpg

Gameplay notes
Here is a picture of Floris' current stats:
011f.jpg

Last edited:
Chapter 12: People come and go
1 November 1257

Dear Diary,

I have just visited lady Elys, in the city of Suno. She and Gaeta are closer than I would have had liked, but well, as long as they stay where they are, nothing can go wrong. I'm also here with fewer men than normally: the morale of my men was pretty low in such great numbers, so I had decided to leave some in my castle behind. And I'm still not sure whom I should be focussing on. A month ago I had a totally different opinion about my army strength: after I rested in Praven, I decided to go back home to my own Uhhun Castle, to get reinforcements for my lost men. Underway I got news that king Harlaus was holding a large feast in Unuzdaq Castle, the outermost outpost of Swadia: I decided to go there first, and rode as fast as I could. When I got there, there weren't that many guests yet. Or had they already left? I couldn't tell, especially after a few glasses of strong wine. I do know I met lady Elys over there, daughter of count Ryis: I said I was her uttermost admirer, which flattered her much. At that time I was glad that Unuzdaq Castle is at the other end of Swadia, since Gaeta might get jealous if she knew I was now seeing another girl too, but now she moved to Suno...

Many of my recruits had died, so I made another round through the designated area to recruit more peasants from all the different factions. After I had done this, I decided to exploit the trade route between Tulga and Ahmerrad once again: the increased weekly wages asked for such exploits. While I rode between these Nordic cities, Klethi had another fight with other party members: she took her own conclusion, and decided to leave. Maybe it's for the best: she was after all only a lot of trouble.

012a.jpg

Klethi decides to leave the party. It might be for the best.

During my visit to both the Khergit Khanate and the Sarranid Sultanate, I heard that king Harlaus had indicted count Plais for treason, stripped him from his lands and expelled him from Swadia. The count had followed my trace and ended up as a boyan of the Khergit. I should be carefull when planning my coupe. I continued my journey to Vaegir lands, where I sold some Khergit salt. Then I received word about a feast by the king in Praven, so I rode as fast as I could to that city. There was even a tournament, where I was knocked out flat in the first round. To heal my bruises, I visited lady Gaeta and went thereafter to the party. There I asked king Harlaus if I could be marshal. He wasn't negative about it, but thought {I should prove myself a little more. So I rode to the border again, and started to search for a fight.

First I rode to Haringoth Castle, where I met some unexpected opposition: count Devlian wasn't charmed by my avances towards lady Gaeta: he warned me to stay away from her. Tough luck for him, since she likes me too. Then I entered the kingdom of Rhodoks, and rode alongside the coast, until I heard the news of 14 October: there was finally peace between Swadia and Rhodeks. I was now able to visit each city again, and did so. In Jelkala I met a man, Marnid, who could be usefull in the party: he knew not much yet, so I could shape him into the person I wanted him to be. I hope he is a better companion than Klethi. Firentis also joined my group.

012b.jpg

Marnid is like a virgin: fragile and shapeable.

I was given the mission by the Rhodek count Gurlas to destroy a mountain bandit lair. So I rode along the mountains, in search for this hideout. On the road I encountered count Devlian, one of the counts I had a good standing with. He asked me if I could denounce count Meltor in his face: that would bring his reputation down, and enable the growth of Devlian and me. I liked the plan, and rode to Uxkhal, where he was seen last. There I spoke to him about two things: his sister Gaeta, and my denouncement of him. He didn't like that I had already spoken with his sister, and warned me not to see her again. Also, he didn't like my insult: we duelled about it, but I managed to knock him out in the end.

Another duel I fought over a lady, lady Mechet, the wife of a Khergit noble. I had spoken to her in Tulga, and was heartbroken by her story of jealous lordships, so I promised her to search Charuka noyan and tell him to leave her alone. She was married after all! I found him close to Reyvadin, and challenged him to fight over this. I won the duel, and got a smile from the lady. Then I quickly rode away from the scene, since king Harlaus decided to declare war to the kingdom of Vaegirs.

012c.jpg

I challenged Chaurka noyan to a duel, the second one in a few days. I'm getting good at it.

I didn't want to get involved in the war yet: there were some businesses I had to attend first. Like reporting back to count Devlian, telling him how I denounced count Meltor. When I found him between Suno and PRaven, he was very pleased, and asked me to train some knights for him. I'd gladly do that for him, to improve our relationship. I also tracked down count Reland, to lend him my surgeon Jeremus, to convince his friend to get surgery. And now I'm in Suno. Maybe I'll ride back to my castle and join with full force the offensive against Vaegir. Also some men uttered their concern about all the bloodshed: maybe it's time to let them stroll the lands and proclaim I'm the next Calradian king. But for now I'll have to get some sleep: tomorrow will be a busy day.

012d.jpg

Gameplay notes
012e.jpg

Last edited:
False alarm: I could change it, although there wasn't any visible sign when I clicked it. So from now on I'll be 'Count Floris' :D. Thanks! This is indeed more fitting.

Chapter 13: A claim has been made
30 November 1257

Dear Diary,

The truth is out there. One by one I called my trusted companions to me, and told them about my aspirations to become king of entire Calradia. They all knew a different way to spread the word, and I gladly let them go for a few weeks. On 1 November Jeremus gave me a speech about how the old Imperial Calradian ways were just a myth: he would create a document proclaiming me to be best fit to rule these lands, and spread it to every tavern in the country. This would take a few weeks. Just a few hours after Jeremus left, Nizar objected to this. But he hadn't had an alternative, even though the rest of the group had ideas. I should watch Nizar closely: he might become an hindrance to my ascention.

After I visited my castle and filled my ranks with men, I started looking for the rest of the Swadian counts. If I wanted to join in the battle, I had to be at the place where they were: only then I could save the day. I searched the entire country, and asked around. And on 10 November Jeremus returned. Unfortunately I hadn't had space for him, so he returned a few days later. But I was able to sent Artimenner on his mission: he promised to ride to all the guilds and burghers to tell them I'm a honest man, and always pay my wages, debts and such.

013a.jpg

I sent my loyal men one by one out to the world, to convince the people of the six kingdoms that I'm the best man for ruling them all.

With Artimenner away, I learned that most of the Swadian lords were laying siege on Dramug Castle, so that's where I headed. While I rode that way, I encountered the Vaegir boyar Harish, engaged him and defeated him. Unfortunately he escaped. At Dramug Castle, I saw half of the nobles and king Harlaus laying siege, so I rode up to the camp, and spoke with the king. I would join the next attack, which turned out to be quite successful: storming the ladder, we managed to gain access to the fortress, and kill all the defenders. Dramug Castle was ours. I immediately spoke with everyone, and they were all pleased that I had joined the last attack: After I had joined, the castle was conquered. The king was even considering giving the castle to me, and count Klargus supported him in that decision. The next day, on 13 November, he indeed gave me that castle and the neighbouring village of Tebandra. Only Rolf came grumbling to me, noticing that Artimenner was proclaiming my right to the throne based on my accountants skills. He might have a point, but still, as long as it's usefull, I'm satisfied with it.

013b.jpg

I tried to climb the ladder during the siege, but there were too many men in the way. Even though I didn't had any real fight, the men were proud to have fought along me.

After the honour was bestowed on me, I rode to Uxkhal, where I insulted count Meltor again, and duelled with him over it, which I won. After this little incident, I decided to inspect my new holdings, and on route I heard about a peace between Vaegir and Swadia. There were new men in this second castle, and I decided to station my best men in Uhhun Castle, while the recruits would have to resident in my new Dramug Castle. Then I would train my recruits to battle hardened veterans, and station them in my old place, until I'd have a force to be reckoned with: then I'd spread it out over the two castles.

On the 19th of November, Artimenner returned, and I send Rolf out to the brave world. Until so far no-one had believed me that I had been a count before: no-one had ever heard of Europe, the Holy Roman Empire or Holland before. But Rolf, pretender of greatness with his 'house of Rolf', did wanted to listen. I don't know if he really believed me, but he did promise to go out to every village and proclaim my royal lineage: let everyone know that not a common peasant wants to rule them all, but the rightfull ruler of Holland. Firentis was opposed to this action, but he still didn't believe me being of royal birth, even with such a quick ascention in the Swadian court. While Rolf went away, I exploited the trade route between Tulga and Ahmerrad once again. I also participated in the tournament of Tulga, but was unfortunately knocked out in the first round. That didn't stop me from admiring lady Ruha, who seemed very interested in me. I'll be back more often to Tulga, I guess.

013c.jpg

I met lady Ruha in Tulga: the third lady to be interested in me.

On 28 November Rolf returned, and Nizar had finally came up with an idea to help me gain the throne. Around the camp fires, he had already showed his skills as a minstrel, singing of kings long gone, spinning epic tales that would last forever. Now he'd wanted to tell the world about my journey to the top in an epic poem, which he would spread at every fire he could find. Of course with some artistic freedom.

Today I'm travelling through Swadia, on my way to Rhodoks, to buy some velvet. Ever since there was peace I had nothing to fight for, so I traded a little. But today I heard that king Harlaus has declared war against the Khergit. That will make it a little difficult to visit lady Ruha in Tulga, and it might be dangerous for Uhhan village and castle, but they'll manage. My companions spread out over the country to reinforce my claims, while I will now prepare for another war, against another foe.

013d.jpg

Gameplay notes
Since Floris' stats haven't changed since last chapter, I'll show you some reports (added together in one picture):
013e.jpg

Last edited:
Chapter 14: Defensive and offensive
15 December 1257

Dear Diary,

Swadia and the Khergit Khanate had engaged in a war, with my two castles both on the border. Not an ideal situation, so I rushed back to see if any culprits were laying siege in my absence. But even though enemy patrols were spotted near Uhhun Castle, nothing had happened yet. I did learn to my surprise that Narra had fallen to the Sarranids, giving myself some space. While I rode to Dramug Castle, I got news from marshall Klargus: he wanted me to join his campaign with at least 28 men. I continued to my second castle, took some men and wanted to ride towards him, but intervened underway in a battle between count Mirchaud and Urumuda noyan. I turned up in the nick of time, but had heavy losses. It improved my relation with Mirchaud and the kingdom of Swadia enormous. But despite this success, or maybe because of it, count Klargus didn't wanted to add me to his main army.

While I rode between my villages, I learned that Kramuk noyan attacked Uhhun. Luckily I was close, so I first picked up all my veteran warriors from Uhhun Castle, and then intervened. Kramuk was already scouting the area and I quickly attacked him. Thanks to my experienced warriors, I managed to defeat him. He unfortunately escaped, but several of his men were taken prisoner: I locked them away in Uhhun Castle.

014a.jpg

I had a stunning victory on 4 December 1257.

The moment I rode away from the battlefield, another Khergit Noble, Alagur, laid siege on Uhhun Castle. So I returned, gathered my men again and smashed him into oblivion. I really love those men in Uhhun Castle: they are the best. Again the lord escaped, but I took another few prisoners. While I rode to the Sarranid Narra, I heard that Plais, once count of Swadia and now noyan of Khergit, switched sides: he didn't want to fight his old friends, so he walked away from the Khergit and joined the Nord. I guess he's the loneliest soul in the kingdom, running from kingdom to kingdom and feeling nowhere at home. I wonder when he'll leave the Nord for some other faction.

On 7 December Nizar returned from his singing throughout the country, and did I sent Ymira away: she was worried that I might become a despotate like the current kings, and wanted to restore the old Calradian system with some kind of advisory board or whatever: I said I would honour that, but in my heart I knew I would rule solely over this land. So I sent her away with some mixed feelings: What will she actually tell the people out there, in my name?

014b.jpg

I didn't understand what Ymira meant with her speech: all I knew, was that she would go out and make me more popular.

Two days later I met king Harlaus. He was content with my recent victories, so he listened to my proposal: to attack Rindyar Castle. That one was lying between my two current castles, and it would only fit if I could add it to my domain. That's why I suggested to him to take it: I followed not far behind him. The moment he laid siege to the castle, I jumped in to help him out. While the attack was going on, I spotted the former count Clais, who had once defected to the Khergit Khanate. I tried to convince him to join the Swadian side, but he was stubborn: therefor I attacked him, scattered his forces and took him prisoner. I put him away in Uhhun Castle. Then I returned to the siege.

Once I got back to the siege, the fighting had been going on for quite a while already. Actually something I was hoping for: the defences of Rindyar Castle were tighter than I had proclaimed to the king, and returning at this time might make me, with fresh troops, the tip that determines the balance. Together with the king I stormed the walls, and even though I could get upstairs this time, there wasn't much to do: the Khergit defenders weren't with many left, and fell pretty easy. Of course I suggested to the king that the castle would have to go to me. He first was thinking of keeping it for himself, but after pointing out the location between my other two castles, he could only agree to give it to me, which he did two days later.

014c.jpg

In the last light of the day, I stood upon Rindyar Castle and watched my men grab the victory.

After the siege, I rode back to Uhhun Castle, while being followed by Brula noyan and a giant army. Luckily I outrode them, and reached my veteran troops before he could slaughter my exhausted men. After I had replaced my men, I returned with a deadly force, but was unable to find him. He must have fled, knowing the powers I could unleash. So I returned my men to the castle, and rode to Praven, where I met not only king Harlaus again, but also lady Gaeta. Tomorrow I'll ride back to the front, since I have heard that count Klargus has besieged the city of Halmar, which lies pretty close to my territory. How wonderfull would it be if I could add that one to my domain too.

014d.jpg

Gameplay notes
Since Floris is still level 17, I'll show you his current equipment:
014e.jpg

Last edited:
Chapter 15: Halmar under attack
1 January 1258

Dear Diary,

Here I am, in the middle of hostile Khergit lands, grumbling on the marshall while I should be celebrating over my territorial gains. But count Klargus has abandoned me here, behind enemy lines, while persuing his own victories. I was a rising star for a few months already, but things really speeded up two weeks ago. After I heard about the siege of Halmar, I left Praven and rode towards it. It was a long trip, so I made a stop in several cities on the way. In Uxkhal I participated in a tournament, but got knocked out in the first round. Also Ymira returned, so I sent out Firentis to proclaim my ascention. He wanted to spread the word among every court that I would be best fit to unify Calradia. When I got to the siege camp around Halmar, I found the main Swadian army there, under the leadership of Marshall Klargus. Even king Harlaus was there. Since the siege would take a while - the city was heavily defended - I first had a look at my new castle of Rindyar. There weren't many men: actually, there was almost no-one. So I took some men from Dramug Castle, and stationed them over there.

When I returned to Halmar, a lot of fighting had already been going on, exactly what I had hoped for. I waited a little bit until the defenders had been decimated, and then I joined in. The tactic had worked before, so why wouldn't it now? And indeed, the counts were all glad I had helped. I asked them all who they thought should receive the city, and count Despin once again thought of me. But this time the marshall, count Klargus, also sided with me, so king Harlaus had no other option than give another piece of the border under my control: I gained control over both the city of Halmar and the village of Peshmi.

015a.jpg

The red circle marks the area I want to control, the orange circled area's are the ones I currently hold.

In the meantime, I had looked at all the men from all the six factions, and decided that I wanted in every castle and city at least 50 Swadian sharpshooters. I also wanted later on some Khergit Horse Archers riding along me, but not while I was at war with that country. So I went out to train a lot of men: I had to get 200 of the best archers, and I needed them now. So I took all my crossbowmen, and travelled with them across the countryside, to train them and do some decent trading. Good soldiers have good wages, and I had to pay them after all. I bought flax and wool in Sargoth, grain in Praven, wine in Suno, where I also sold half of my grain. I sold the wine in Uxkhal and bought more wool in Veluca. In Jelkala I sold the remaining grain with not as much profit as I had hoped for, to make space for velvet and raw silk. I even had to get rid of a little wool, with loss, because the raw silk would give a much greater profit. I also got knocked out in the tournament, but did met lady Baotheia. I'll hope to visit her more often, just like with my other ladies. On my way to Shariz, I learned that my city of Halmar had been besieged by Asugan noyan. So after I had sold some velvet and bought some date fruits, I rode like hell to relieve my city from the siege.

Firentis also returned during my trade journey, so I sent this time Marnid on this important mission: he respected my interest in trade, and was glad I wasn't one of those pillaging and looting savages the rest of the lords had become in the past years. He would go to every guild hall and speak with every merchant to proclaim my good intentions on trade, and say that I would keep all the looting nobles in check. By the time he left, I arrived at the city of Halmar, only to see an enormous battlefield. Other counts of Swadia had already came to the aid of the city, and were fighting the khan himself. Also Chaurka noyan had plundered the small village of Peshmi, and followed me with obviously bad intentions. Asugan noyan and Urubay noyan were also lingering around. It would be a decisive day.

015b.jpg

An enormous battlefield had erupted outside of Halmar.

My force of crossbowman were impressive enough to scary most of the enemies away, so I could join the battle with the khan uninterrupted. Before I joined the fighting, I first sold the last of the velvet and the date fruits, only to buy more wool. I really had to find a market for that. Then I joined the battle, which went successfully. No wonder, since we had a force of over 700 men, while the khan was alone with his 70 guards. During this battle, the city of Khudan had also been conquered upon the Khergit. Most people supported count Montewar for the fief, although my friend count Despin, and even more important: king Harlaus himself, were glad to see my star rise upon the Swadian firmament.

The moment I left Halmar, the lingering group of Khergit nobles laid siege to it. Marshall Klargus gathered the men again to relieve the city for the second time, and I was in time to join in early. In the meantime count Harlaus had decided to grant me both the city of Khudan and the nearby villages of Shulus, Tismirr and Uslum. Even though it was a little out of the area I had intended to claim for my own, it would be unwise to refuse a second major city. Right now I had direct control over a much larger area than I had intended to have by this time. Tax innefficiency was killing me. My original plan for stationing elite forces wasn't going to work yet: I was gaining land faster than men. So I decided to recruit a lot of peasants to man the places instead. That would be cheap, and would keep the cities and castles well garrisoned. When the army returned to Halmar, the Khergit nobles fled away. They had heard of the defeat of their lord Sanjar khan, and didn't linger to let the same fate happen to them. I rode along marshall Klargus and see how the enemy fled into the Sarranid desert. Halmar had been relieved for the second time.

015c.jpg

I have gotten many cities, castles and villages, but the tax inefficiency is killing me. Is there something I can do about that, as vassal of Swadia?

I followed the marshall deeper into Khergit territories, but when they started to raid the village of Tash Kulun, I kept my distance. Marshall Klargus saw me lingering aside, and thus asked me to scout the area: he wanted me to bring reports about the village of Tash Kulun, which he was plundering right now, the village of Dirigh Aban and Malayurg castle. I quickly set out to bring him the reports as soon as possible, and reported on the first village and the castle as promised. But now, even before I could reach the town of Dirigh Aban, I received word that it wasn't necessary anymore to scout the last village. That means he just wanted to get rid of me. Was it because I didn't participated in the destruction of an innocent village, or because he thought I had been granted more than I deserve? anyway, I'll ride away from him, that's for sure. I'll go to the Sarranids to sell some wool, and then I'll inspect my new holdings around Khudan.

015d.jpg

Gameplay notes
015e.jpg

Last edited:
I first want my armies ready for the upcoming wars before I get crowned. But marriage can be coming soon. Lady Gaeta is the most promising candidate, although her brother is my worst enemy, hehe. Although lady Elys is coming up nicely too. And I'm now 'working on' ladies Ruha and Baotheia too. We'll see who the happy one will be.

Chapter 16: Matheld and the wool
26 January 1258

Dear Diary,

Today was a happy day, after a tough month. I got titular recognition for my deeds, and have risen very high among the Swadian nobility, even higher than I had been back in the Holy Roman Empire, as count of Holland. The scheming of marshall Klargus hadn't helped him: the king likes me too much for that. After the marshall had left me in hostile Khergit territory, I turned around, and rode to Durquba. I had heard that flax would sell pretty well over there. Underway I dropped off most of my men at Halmar: I would travel faster without all those crossbowmen. I also met another young lady in the tavern, with the fighting spirit of a man: Matheld. She joined my group, and rode along me to Durquba. But I immediately regretted having her alongside me, since she started to complain about Firentis talking about peace and such. She only wanted war and bloodshed.

Before I reached Durquba, I heard that Khudan was being besieged. I even hadn't had the chance to pay it a visit, and it was already under attack. I hoped the marshall would save the day: he seemed pretty bound to kill as many Khergit as possible, even peasants, and the city was now a Swadian one after all. In Durquba I sold my flax with much profit, and bought some date fruits. Then I rode on to Ahmerrad. In the middle of the desert I fought with some bandits, and Matheld started to complain about Ymira. She really became a pain in the buttocks. The moment Marnid returned, I wanted to sent her out to spread the word of my future rule, but she didn't quite get it. Instead she started to fight with Jeremus. So I sent her away to spy a little in the kingdom of the Nords. That kept things stable in my party. In Ahmerrad I bought some iron, and even more wool. I got plenty of that sheep fur with me now: I started to feel like a sheep myself.

016a.jpg

I bought more wool in Ahmerrad at the local goods merchant: I felt like a sheep.

After my visit to the Sarranids, I rode very carefully through the hindland of the Khergit Khanate, to get to my city of Khudan. Unfortunately the road led me right through the heart of the Khergit homeland. I tried to sneak past the city of Ichamur, but first made a stop there to sell all my iron and even some wool. I left the city in the middle of the night, using the darkness as a cover for my retreat. It all seemed to go well, until dawn arose: I almost stood in front of Sungetche Castle, the fortress guarding the pass I had to cross. But luckily Matheld hold me back in time: she had gathered intel on the kingdom of Nords, and returned to me. This is actually the only usefull deed she had done for me this past month. Together we waited at the Khergit end of the mountain range: at the other end, she told me, were a lot of Khergit nobles fighting Swadian lords. When the night fell, the large Swadian force reached the castle. Even though they decided not to attack, I used the diversion to sneak past and ride to Khudan.

Khudan was under siege when I arrived, but luckily the Swadian army relieved the city pretty soon from it. The boyars had heard about their khan getting smashed by the main Swadian army, and didn't try to find out their luck. I took a food look at my second city, but wasn't able to sell my wool. Therefor I rode on to the Vaegir city of Rivacheg, where I also couldn't find a good deal, and continued to the Nord city of Wercheg, where I bought some salt. On the road Jeremus was hit by Matheld: she was complaining about headages, and he tried to cure her with leeches. She then struck him with an accusation of witchcraft! Really something unheard off; I know I can trust Jeremus. He's a fine surgeon, and has proven himself not only to me, but also to other lords.

When I continued my journey to Curaw, I was attacked by a few bands of sea raiders and taiga bandits, but managed to slay them. After the fights Ymira tried to loot a purse from one of the bodies, but Matheld struck her and said she had made that kill. Maybe she was right, maybe not: her vile behaviour was really getting on my nerves. In Curaw I bought some iron, and sold all of my salt. Then I continued to Reyvadin, where I sold all my iron. I still had an awful lot of wool with me, but being close to my holdings, I realised I had to post more men to defend it all. I would start with archers, or better said: Swadian crossbowmen or sharpshooters, although I knew I had to settle down for some skirmishers for now. I immediately started to recruit as many Swadian peasants as possible, starting in the villages near Dhirim. I of course paid a visit to that city, but there weren't any good deals over there. I did hear in the tavern about a peace settlement between Swadia and Khergit: finally, since now I could concentrate on recruiting men for my holdings, instead of fearing every journey. I could even visit lady Ruha in Tulga, where I of course immediately headed. She was glad to see me.

016b.jpg

Finally there was peace between Swadia and Khergit.

After my short visit to Tulga, I rode back into the kingdom of Swadia, and continued my tour along the villages. As I rode to Uxkhal, king Harlaus decided it was time to fight the Rhodoks. The previous war had been over for just a few days, and the madman plunged his kingdom into a new one. I really need to take over, since he destroys the commerce with his aggressive policy. Anyway, there no good deals in Uxkhal, so I continued to Suno, where I met lady Elys. I also sold a little bit of wool, but bought mostly wine and oil. Then I rode on to Praven, where I met king Harlaus. He wanted me to train more knights, which I of course would do. Maybe he would reward me with another castle or city, if the war would go well? I suggested he would take Reindi castle, which neighboured the rest of my holdings. In Praven I sold all of the oil and some wine, and visited lady Gaeta. Then I returned to Uhhun Castle to pick up some good men and help the king with Reindi Castle, but when I arrived, he had already conquered it.

I brought my veteran men back to Uhhun Castle, and started to divide my archers all along my holdings. Two cities and three castles: each one should have at least fifty sharpshooters, but since training takes time, I would have to settle for crossbowmen or skirmishers for the time being. This journey brought me also to Khudan, where I finally managed to sell the last pieces of my wool. I almost started to grow wool myself. The moment I started to ride back to Uhhun Castle, Matheld came to me. The past month had been a difficult one, not only for me. She had fights with many of my close friends, and didn't like the trading and peacefull solutions I came up with. There wasn't enough plundering going on for her liking, so she'd left to find her fortune on her own. Good riddance: if she hadn't left, I would have sent her away once I got to Uhhun castle.

016c.jpg

Matheld decides to leave the party. If she hadn't taken this decision, I would have kicked her away.

The moment I arrived in my castle, a messenger was waiting for me. King Harlaus was holding a feats in Praven, and I would be the guest of honour. With only a few of my trusted men I rode as fast as I could, although I did pick up quite some wine in Suno. Once I stepped in the large hall of the capital, all eyes of the present nobles turned on me. Some, like my enemy count Meltor, were loaded with jealousy, while others, like my friend count Despin, were full of admiration. The king started with the announcement that the recently castle of Reindi would be now under the control of count Devlian, while he would keep the village of Ehlerdah for himself. But, he continued, this recent conquest was only possible thanks to my good suggestion. He thus spoke:

'The past half year count Floris has shown us the true meaning of ambition. He has already been rewarded well with land, cities and castles, but his cunning still amazes me. Taking care of our eastern protection all by himself, he will need the royal recognition that comes with that responsibility. Therefor I have decided to give him the title of Margrave.'

I'm glad I had brought the wine, since I certainly gave away many rounds this evening. Margrave! I have risen in the ranks of nobility. Now I really need to consolidate my holdings. But first I'll party.

016d.jpg

Gameplay notes
016e.jpg

From now on I'll show you once in a while a map of Calradia. Here is one for the starting situation, when Floris arrived:
016f.png

And here is one for the current situation. I encircled my holdings, Floris' Margraviate. You can see that the Vaegir and the Khergit have lost many holdings. The Sarranid had much success against the Khergit, but are losing in a recent war against Rhodoks. The Nords are doing extremely well: they only have gained territory, and didn't lose anything. Swadia has lost quite a lot to the Nords, but have gained much more in the east.
016g.png

Last edited:
Duke will be the next step ;). And king... when I'm strong enough, I'll proclaim myself one. But indeed, it is actually an insult: not giving me the castle and village he captured on my advise, and now this. Hehe, I think I'll just sell the wine.