• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Likewise, hope the eye heals quickly. Whatever you are doing that keeps tearing your cornea, you really ought to stop. Not good for morale. :D

yarrrrr piratey :D

Off to work looking like a pirate (eye-patch) (...) Those Generals had better follow the master plan!
I would assume that the master plan involves convoy raiding...? :)

I hope you get well soon, even if you are already used to this.

And remember, no plan survives first contact with the enemy (actually the English phrase might be a bit different ;) ).

Thanks - but I never get used to it. And that is the way it is said in English (I think Colin Powell used it at some time). Though von Moltke's words say something longer in German I think.

Likewise, hope the eye heals quickly. Whatever you are doing that keeps tearing your cornea, you really ought to stop. Not good for morale. :D

I don't make enough tears and sometimes my eyes dry out while I'm asleep and the eyelid sticks to the eye and tears when I open it. Does give enforced quiet time for reflection though.

yarrrrr piratey :D

After years of doing this I am an expert in Pirate, me hearties.

I would assume that the master plan involves convoy raiding...? :)

The master plan includes everything - although I can't get HOI3 to let me be a privateer - but if the master plan survives 1939 I'll be happpy.

Anyway - thanks to all to posted - all better now (bar some blurred vision) so back in the saddle. Starting Feb 1939 now.

Rank and File
A Clerk’s War​

1st February to 28th February 1939

We have settled into the Neue Reichskanzlei, and everything is going well. Well, it was until I was summoned to the Minister’s office. This is not a normal event for a humble filing administrator, so I was a little nervous. I didn’t need to be. Minister Frick was very complimentary, then he got to the point. He told me that the Kanzlei telegraph room and telephone switchboard had been greatly expanded in the new building. I had noticed, but put it down to the architect, Albert Speer, having been ordered to make everything bigger and better. Of course I didn’t say this, my role was to nod agreement. The Minister told me that this was because it was expected that the volume of telegrams and telephone calls would greatly increase in the next few months. He also told me (which I had suspected) that many of the telephone calls to and from the building were recorded. He added that a radio room had been installed and that an aerial capable of receiving and sending messages around the world would be ready in days. These radio messages would also be recorded.

In the next few weeks I was to set up a separate subsection of filing to handle all this additional information. Only select clerks were to work in this area, as it has been declared top secret and vital to the State. Again I saw my response as being to nod, at which time the Minister asked to be kept informed of any problems. As I headed for the door he added that the information needs to be well maintained as it would be accessed by the Fuhrer and his military advisers, and that they would make decisions based on it. He didn’t need to add anything else – I got the point. If anything went wrong and a scapegoat was needed, a misfiled document or badly copied radio message would be enough evidence of wrongdoing. And wrongdoing in advising the Fuhrer in military decisions was likely to be a very career limiting move.

The construction gangs in East Prussia have completed their work – 11 provinces have improved roads but there is still more that could be done. Unfortunately, there are more pressing demands on our production capacity.

wolfcreek1940final.jpg

Road gangs have finished their contracts – supply should move a bit faster to our men of the Army of East Prussia.

As if setting up the new section was not enough work, this month saw a deluge of material from the research projects. Someone must have the whip out in the laboratories and testing grounds. A lot of training programs were completed: fighter ground crew, cruiser crew, tactical bomber pilot and close air support pilot all filed their finalisation papers. In addition, the heavy tank gun, aircraft carrier anti-aircraft systems and combat medicine programs finished. Surely it can’t be a coincidence that so many projects are coming to an end within days of each other?

New projects started were: Interdiction Tactics, submarine crew training, tactical air command, forward air combat naval bomber tactics, operational level ground strikes and infantry warfare. It makes my head whirl at the number and scope of technological investigations we are carrying out.

The news from China wiped all thoughts about research from my mind, and caused consternation in the Kanzlei. When all radio contact with the Army of North China was lost, Japanese reconnaissance planes were sent to investigate. Their reports were of a complete disaster. Along roads leading to the coast were the remnants of the IJA’s pride. From the air, it appears as though the Chinese broke the fragile cordon and simply overwhelmed the starving and out-of-supply troops. No sign of life was found, just roads and surrounding fields littered with the corpses of men and horses, and the detritus of a vanquished army. As far as be ascertained, the Army of North China has ceased to exist.

manzero152final.jpg

No trace of the Army of North China can be detected

p1010012final.jpg

A photograph obtained by one of our agents in Tokyo, taken by a low flying Japanese reconnaissance plane, showing some of the wreckage along the main highway south in Manchukuo.

Korea seems a little more secure. The Japanese have held the south and have actually expanded their area of control.

There was no news of Xenophon or of General Ueda’s staff. The situation is confusing, but there are some stories of small numbers of troops being airlifted out in the days preceding the collapse. We can only wait and hope.

Two more infantry divisions were fully commissioned this month, and both were shipped to Konigsberg. The Army of East Prussia is now 10 divisions strong, and I noticed that more transports are needed to keep them supplied. This is not a problem – there is plenty of spare capacity. A new motorised division is being assembled.

The first of the Messerschmitt Bf 109G “Gustavs” has also been delivered and a new unit, 1st Jagdfliegerkorps has been formed to accommodate them. More are on the way, as although the Bf 109D is a better interceptor, the Bf 109Gs give the Luftwaffe more flexibility (at a substantial cost – Willi Messerschmitt will be happy).

We received final news from China for the end of month Cabinet meeting. It is not very uplifting. Korea is fairly stable, but that is not saying much. The Shanghai bridgehead is being attacked from all sides and seems to be splitting under the pressure. And Manchukuo is a graveyard, with only the port of Dandong held by General Mori with one division of infantry.

kor282final.jpg

Korea – holding for now, but likely to come under increasing pressure as the Shanxi move troops from Manchukuo.

shan282final.jpg

Alarming reports from Shanghai reveal a situation that could turn into a disaster at any minute.

man282final.jpg

The marines holding Dandong have been replaced with regular infantry, but they are vastly outnumbered and would be in difficulty should a full-scale assault be mounted.

The traditional intelligence update was a more pleasant session this month, as only Sweden, France and Nepal managed to interfere with our research, and we caught 30 spies operating in the Reich. On the down side, we are down to 133 agents abroad.

As the month ended and we moved closer to warm weather (and war?), I find myself thinking of Xenophon and wondering whether he managed to squeeze himself onto one of the last planes out of Manchukuo. Or is his body lying on a cold and lonely Asian road? But something else keeps encroaching on my concern about our missing liaison officer, something closer to home. The Allies are supposed to have fleets of bombers that can reach Berlin – wouldn’t they think a huge building with a massive radio tower was an attractive target? Note to self – locate closest air-raid shelter to my office.

Last edited:
Rank and File
A Clerk’s War​

1st March to 31st March 1939

This has been the quietest month since I started work at the Reichskanzlei. For some reason the phrase “Lull before the storm” keeps coming into mind. There is a sense in the building that in the background things are moving, but on the surface all is calm. I have noticed that one of the largest conference rooms has been converted into what to my untutored eye looks suspiciously like a military command centre. There are lots map tables and chart displays, and several telephone lines have been installed: who ever heard of a telephone in a meeting room?

Things were so quiet I thought of taking a break, but after my meeting with the Minister last month I decided to review all the procedures for handling document flows (and make sure that I can see the most interesting). My clerks were told to use any leave they had, and most took the opportunity.

The first two weeks were quite boring, the tedium only broken by reports from China. Still no word on Xenophon, although our Embassy in Tokyo told us that it was believed that General Ueda has survived the Manchukuo disaster. The southern tip of Korea is still held by Japan, but Shanxi troops are building a commanding superiority in numbers. Shanghai has all the indicators of another defeat. Large numbers of troops have been cut off inland, and the rest of the army is rushing to the coast, harried by the Kuomintang.

kor153final.jpg

Shanxi forces build up around the embattled Korean garrison

shan153final.jpg

Japanese units have been trapped inland and appear doomed, as the Nationalist Chinese increase the pressure on the rest of the bridgehead.

A couple of completed research projects came in, but nothing like last month’s rush. The Heavy Tank group report on increased armour was favourable, and we were told that they are now looking at Integrated Support theory. The Luftwaffe was very excited at the development of a new small fuel tank, as this will give many of our lighter planes increased range. The technicians have been deployed to the submarine research group to continue work on air warning equipment for our U-boats.

The feeling that we are simply marking time, waiting for the fuse to burn down, affected the end of month Cabinet meeting. None of the ministers argued or insisted on long self-serving speeches (a welcome change)) and it was over quickly. The intelligence report received mild applause, as once again disruption was kept to 3%. Only 23 enemy agents caught this month, but for once we increased our spy network, if only by 3, to 136.

The final news from China probably helped close the meeting. It was depressing, as is becoming the norm. The Korean defenders have been pushed back to Pusan, and look as though they will face a massive assault. As expected, the pocket inland of Shanghai has been crushed, and the remaining bridgehead is shrinking.

kor313final.jpg

Retreat to the port – Korea’s days as a Japanese colony seem numbered.

shan313final.jpg

Shanghai: a smaller disaster than Manchukuo, but a disaster nonetheless.

As the ministers left, the conversations as they moved through the corridors showed that they have written off Japan as a credible ally for the foreseeable future. Not only have its strategic decisions led to the destruction of perhaps 30% of the Imperial Japanese Army, but we believe that the loss of rare materials from its mainland possessions has crippled its industry.

Looking around my office on the evening of the 31st, I feel I have done all I can to prepare for the war I am now sure is only a matter of weeks away. I hope for Germany’s sake that my superiors can say the same.

Ah good to see you back up and running the AAR. Japanese are doomed already, I am afraid, as so often in this game. That region still needs work for 1.4 patch, really bad. Anyway, when will the war start for germany?

Greetz

I don't make enough tears and sometimes my eyes dry out while I'm asleep and the eyelid sticks to the eye and tears when I open it. Does give enforced quiet time for reflection though.

Anyway - thanks to all to posted - all better now (bar some blurred vision) so back in the saddle. Starting Feb 1939 now.

Better keep a damp cloth next to the bed in a baggy. Let it rest on the ole eyeballs before trying to open lids. Might save on wear and tear.:p

Ah good to see you back up and running the AAR. Japanese are doomed already, I am afraid, as so often in this game. That region still needs work for 1.4 patch, really bad. Anyway, when will the war start for germany?

Greetz

BoemsiBoemsie: I had hoped that I would be one of the lucky ones who had an intelligent Japan, but not to be. Then I thought that another way of looking at it is that the Nat. Chinese and Shanxi AI played very well. They cut off forward units, defended key positions, reinforced where necessary, targetted supply paths etc. So in a way, the AI performed well, just not the way I would have liked.

Without giving away the details, watch for May 16.;) Hoping to get April up tonight, but am agonising over the best way of presenting combat. I want to show how the AI is working*, but as always, worry about too much detail.

* As promised, I am giving orders at Army level, and have attached all aircraft (except naval bombers)to Armies. Navy and Marines are hand made. Frustrating in the extreme to watch things happen (or not happen!), but very interesting. I don't think I have seen an AAR as detailed as the notes I have, so may just go with the flow, at least to start with.

Better keep a damp cloth next to the bed in a baggy. Let it rest on the ole eyeballs before trying to open lids. Might save on wear and tear.:p

Forster: Unfortunately I open my eyes before I am awake. Otherwise a perfect plan.:D

Another good update. Really too bad about the Japanese.

Forster: Thanks - as above, I am putting a positive spin on it: the Chinese AI played well. But it does mean that everyone will gang up against me. Should make it interesting.

Aw, damn Japanese. I think I will try to play Germany on the weekend, and see if I can lend them a hand. Well, at least the Japanese defeat makes the Asian theatre more interesting in the years to come, and gives the Grand Navy of the Reich a few more targets :)

Regarding the presentation of the war, I would not worry overly much. Just try one approach, and if you think there may be a better one, the office for skilled personnel may receive or lose some competences, or there may be some shuffling in administrative positions, voilà, the perspective will be different. Actually, having no shakeup for no reason would be quite unrealistic in the bureaucratic quagmire that was the Third Reich...

Anyway, I am holding my breath for May. Letting the AI work on army level is what I usually do, it worked all right for me - not spectacular (although there were some good moments) but all right. And don't forget enjoying the game over taking all those notes :)

@Uriah: Interesting AAR, there is only one problem with it. Some of the pictures show the swastika. I'd advise you to modify them (as you may know, this can lead you to being banned).

But all in all, the AAR is well thought.

Last edited:
I could 'guess' one on the He-111, but you really have to know what's on that tail to guess it. Anywhere else?

Anyway, I am holding my breath for May. Letting the AI work on army level is what I usually do, it worked all right for me - not spectacular (although there were some good moments) but all right. And don't forget enjoying the game over taking all those notes :)

Blue Angel: I do have fun - I really enjoy playing slowly and thinking more than setting the game on max speed and sitting back. For a start, you learn not to make silly statements like "Airpower is useless" after you have seen the AI blast you out of a defensive position with a 1000 casualties caused by TACs.

@Uriah: Interesting AAR, there is only one problem with it. Some of the pictures show the swastika. I'd advise you to modify them (as you may know, this can lead you to being banned).

But all in all, the AAR is well thought.

radu12345: Thanks for the positive comment.

As far as the other issue, I have checked all the photos I have used and as far as I can see I coloured over all the offending items. As Baltasar says below, in one with a bit of imagination you could visualize something, but I don't think we have to go to those lengths. If I am wrong, perhaps a mod could let me know. If I have missed any, can you let me know?

I could 'guess' one on the He-111, but you really have to know what's on that tail to guess it. Anywhere else?

Baltasar: Thanks - that one I didn't even notice until I put it up, and it is so blurred and small that when I looked at it closely I decided that I was actually "filling in" the missing bits to make a shape. Nobody who didn't already have an idea of the shape would make that leap.

Rank and File
A Clerk’s War​

1st April to 30th April 1939

Another snippet of information crossed my desk that confirmed we are getting closer and closer to war. As Head of Intelligence, Minister Frick has ordered that the supply of agents to Poland be given the highest priority, and that all spies in the country obtain military information, even if it risks them blowing their cover.

I also saw that 3 of the new radar stations have been set up: at Wilhelmshaven, Bitburg and Stuttgart. Three more have been ordered, and as would be expected, the cost is much reduced. From the allocation I deduce that they are to be used more for air defence rather than information gathering.

The item that removed any doubt about the proximity of war came, strangely enough, not from a diplomatic post or an army movement order, but from a supply requisition. Why were depots being asked to release WWI relics like the Gewehr 88 and 7.62 Infanteriegeschutz 16L/16.5? It didn’t take long to realise that the only possible reason was that second line regiments were being called up, and that more modern weaponry was being saved for front line units. Second line regiments perform garrison duties, and garrison duties means occupied territory. And that means war.

300pxgewehr88.jpg

These rifles belong in museums, not in army ordnance stores. But Sicherungs units must make do with what they get, even the Gewehr 88.

So I was not surprised when, a few days later I saw that as well as a new motorised division, a Sicherungs division was to be formed.

On the 7th, the new air-launched torpedo was put into production. The research team was put onto a new project: Civil Defence procedures. A timely reminder that when war starts, it will not only be the enemy who takes damage.

Recruitment is accelerating. Only days after the last 2 divisions were announced, our first Fallschirmsjager division started to be trained. At the same time, three artillery brigades and a tank destroyer brigade were approved. Another Gebirgsjager division has joined 1st Gebirgsjagerkorps (the fifth!) and three motorised infantry brigades were assigned to support the headquarters staff of the two light and one medium Panzerkorps.

The bombshell dropped on the 18th. I had just finished processing order forms for another two Type IX U-boat flotillas, and had picked up some transfer documents detailing the movement of technical staff from the completed medium bomb project to Heer School of Military Theory to develop refined Blitzkrieg tactics, when Gisela dashed in. She asked if I had heard the news – I took it that this was a rhetorical question as she knew I had been in my office since early morning. She said it was all over the office: a non-aggression treaty with the Soviets had been signed. At first I assumed she had got it wrong: how could we sign a deal with the arch-enemy?

I found a reason to visit the Foreign Office, and there the Treaty was being openly discussed. Gisela had got it right – not only was there a full non-aggression pact but there were also trade and other arrangements. One high ranking administrator made a strange remark to me hinting that he knows more than has been publicly released and that there are other “secret” agreements, but he is given to overestimating his importance so I paid little attention to his comments.

250pxmolotovribbentrops.jpg

Soviet Foreign Minister Vyacheslav Molotov signs the Pact with Stalin (and Lenin!)watching, while Joachim von Ribbentrop makes sure he is in the picture.

The newspapers that evening were full of the news, and photos of Special Commissioner Ribbentrop watching Molotov signing the Treaty in Moscow (why Minister von Neurath let him get the glory I don’t know, but it can be fairly Machiavellian at the top levels of the Party). The impression I got from my fellow train passengers was that there was sense of relief that a threat of major war has been removed. I am not so sure – the documents I have seen indicate that the West will stick by Poland, even if the Soviets sit on their hands.

One country that definitely took alarm at the Treaty is Finland: on the morning of the 17th our Embassy in Helsinki reported that the Finnish Army has started mobilising. Perhaps Poland should also be alarmed: a standard army relocation advice was authorised the same morning. Not alarming you would think: units get rebased all the time. But this was the 1st Panzerkorps, the most powerful unit in the Heer, and it was being sent to Konigsberg to join the Army of East Prussia! I noticed though that it will be held in the Konigsberg area, well away from the front and detection by Polish intelligence. I suppose the Army of East Prussia doesn’t want the Polish Army to reinforce the border areas in response.

Little else of import happened in April. New light bombs went into production (and were rushed to front-line airfields as fast as they came off the production lines) and an urgent program to increase armour on our twin engine planes was commenced. Funds were allocated to the War College for studies in Assault Concentration and the Kriegsmarine set up a research group to modify this new-fangled radar contraption for use on our larger ships.

I haven’t mentioned events in Asia this month as little new came in. The utter silence regarding Shanghai leads up to believe that the bridgehead has been eliminated. Our liaison officer was evacuated at the beginning of the month (as per his orders) so we have no direct knowledge, but merchant ships in the area report a lack of Japanese supply traffic, so we are assuming the worst. The IJA hangs on in Korea, but it must be only days before the few thousand remaining troops surrender. They have lost control of the port of Pusan and must be short of food, fuel and ammunition. The Japanese Co-prosperity Sphere is sputtering out of existence.

kor304final.jpg

The last Japanese presence on the mainland is about to be snuffed out.

At home, research disruption is up to 5%, despite large numbers of spies being charged with offences against the State. Production is also being hard hit, and at a critical time for us, when every piece of equipment is vitally needed. It cannot be long before my brothers and brother-in-law, not to mention many of my close friends, will be in combat. I have to admit I am worried for all of them – rumours of the size and strength of the forces against us are quite unnerving.

Still, it is reassuring to know that we have at least a two year opportunity to deal with Britain and France. And then, despite the assurance of perpetual friendship and mutual admiration, it will be the turn of Russia!

Quite a turn of events, isn't it. 35 years ago, the Japanese, who were considered upstarts at best, were at war with Russia. The annihilated the Russian Fleet near Tsushima and became the major power in the region. This time, though not beaten on the sea, the Japanese armies are beaten by upstart Chinese factions who will probably turn on each other once the last Japanese forces have been kicked into the sea.

Quite a turn of events, isn't it. 35 years ago, the Japanese, who were considered upstarts at best, were at war with Russia. The annihilated the Russian Fleet near Tsushima and became the major power in the region. This time, though not beaten on the sea, the Japanese armies are beaten by upstart Chinese factions who will probably turn on each other once the last Japanese forces have been kicked into the sea.

Baltasar: Unforunately I think Japan is now crippled economically, so they won't ever get a decent fleet. It will bew up to the Kriegsmarine.:eek: