• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Thank you, good sir. As a solution to the question of what faith: Mongol uber-violence is generally anathema to strict Buddhism, thereby ruling out Theravada. In addition, India was Hindu at that point, and Indochina thrived under the Hindu kings of the Khmer. Ergo, South Asia would be Hindu. However, the Tantric and Mahayana Buddhisms could spread as long as they encompassed Mongol traditions, thereby giving us a Buddhist Khanate. I can't wait to see a Muslim or Orthodox Marco Polo travel to the khanal capital, whether he goes to Delhi (I hope under Kublai) or to Xanadu (perhaps under the kids of Hulagu, a true badass).

Thank you, good sir. As a solution to the question of what faith: Mongol uber-violence is generally anathema to strict Buddhism, thereby ruling out Theravada. In addition, India was Hindu at that point, and Indochina thrived under the Hindu kings of the Khmer. Ergo, South Asia would be Hindu. However, the Tantric and Mahayana Buddhisms could spread as long as they encompassed Mongol traditions, thereby giving us a Buddhist Khanate. I can't wait to see a Muslim or Orthodox Marco Polo travel to the khanal capital, whether he goes to Delhi (I hope under Kublai) or to Xanadu (perhaps under the kids of Hulagu, a true badass).

We shall see, but first I shall have to finish this part of the AAR. ;)

Very good so far, Mr. Capiatlist! It looks like Meinkinus' little war will be turning into a much larger crisis, let alone now that Islam is mustering.

I am excited to see where Prussia goes. Good show.

Very good so far, Mr. Capiatlist! It looks like Meinkinus' little war will be turning into a much larger crisis, let alone now that Islam is mustering.

I am excited to see where Prussia goes. Good show.
And we will be one step closer to 2012 sometime after I finish lab reports!

Prussian Marco Polo in Delhi at the court of Great Khan Kublai.

Sounds OK.
It would probably be Byzantine, if you ask me. Prussia basically controls the North, but the Byzantine's monopoly on the Mediterranean has shriveled due to the growth of Islam in Italy, it would be they more interested in the East. Maybe. ;)

Prussian explorer in Siberia freezing his arse of in the middle of nowhere.

Doesn't sound so good.

Prussia needs some legendary explorer! The byzantines can have Columbus.

Except that Columbus was from Genoa and would be a shiite in this world. ;)

And no worries, we'll let Mordvia freeze their butts out in Siberia. I don't know what I will do for exploration... I might be like Poland or Sweden and have a few temporary colonies in the Americas, but I'll be busy trying to hold my Kingdom together.

Poland? America?! I knew for sure that we (Poles) wanted to colonise Madagascar but America? Maybe New Foundland or some other island.
Well, Poland had control of Tobago through Courland for several years:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Courland_colonization

Other than that, yeah... Poland wasn't a big colonizer. Sweden had the Delaware region for a while, but lost it to the Dutch (who lost it to England).

I'll probably aim for around the New England/Canada region. If I can.

Homelands
Chapter Twenty One: Dawn of War
Part 5

Prelude:
Báltikjá (βάλτιϟԓά) is the Prussian word that refers to the Baltic as a region, a landmass despite its watery disposition. The original title granted to Aethelweard was "King of the Baltic", a title rarely used after the ascent of Gunvald. But even so the Baltic was a Prussian play thing, often referred to as if they were in physical possession of it. In 1212 the Prussian fleet managed to secure Fyn from the Caliph once again forcing the Baltic closed to non-Prussian allies. Overland routes were the only alternative to the expensive tariff costs that the Prussians levied. However, these routes were dominated by Sweden and Germany, who would often levy tariffs similar to Prussia's. The invasion of Fyn was the first time Prussian and Muslim troops clashed directly for the same territories. Prussia's willingness to defend itself proved to the Caliph that it was not a force to be messed with and led to Jutland being given a semi-autonomous state within the Caliph (though still under Muslim domination). With a middle ground met, the two forces seemed to ebb away from one another. The Caliph would spend its efforts centralizing its authority in France. Prussia would turn its attention inward once again, building itself up and continuing the economic growth begun under Sviendorog.

September 12th, 1212

The island of Fyn had been quickly seized by Prussian troops with help from blockades and native resistance. Within a few days the Caliph had dispatched one of its greatest diplomats to the region, hoping to convince Meinekinus to not pursue more conquest at their loss. But the Prussian king proved unwilling to budge, Fyn was his now and the Baltic Sea was strictly forbidden for Muslim expansion.

Baltic.png

The Baltic Sea with Prussia highlighted.

"You grandfather had extended a promise of peace to us, you surely do not believe that a treaty like this ends with a mere mortal?"

"I do, and when my grandfather agreed to such a peace he was not expecting you to start appearing in our own vicinities. We leave you alone, you leave us alone. Breaking our monopoly on trade here is not the best means of endearing yourselves to us," Meinekinus said.

"It is the old scenario of two empires rubbing against each other. Macedonia and Persia, Rome and Carthage, the Goths and Rome."

"Yes, but given all your examples the latter was ruined by the former. Now I wonder who is who in your mind." Meinekinus saw through the veiled threat and treated it as an honest mistake. "There are cracks in your façade, ambassador. The Caliph cannot keep expanding like this and hope to survive. Do you truly plan to fight a war in Italy, Germany, France, England, Ireland and now here in the Baltic? The Caliph does not fight wars as a country, it fights them as a collective. Emirs and Sheiks seeking glory fight their enemies with or without the support of the Caliph himself. It lacks design, it lacks organization. It will fall. In time."

The ambassador seemed offended, taking a step back to wisely consider his words. After a brief pause he said, "Prussian King, you have squared off with only a handful of defenders... mere militia men. What do you plan to do against the tide of the Magnificent Armies themselves?"

"I'll probably not use militia men myself. Not that your men will ever see our shores to begin with." It was a harsh truth for the ambassador, there was no navy to speak of for the Caliph. Their use of the Carthaginians was meant to turn their spending elsewhere so they didn't have to build a permanent fleet. But now the Carthaginians had dropped their contracts and headed back to Tunis to conduct raids of their own again.

A few tense moments passed before the ambassador dared to speak again, "I guess then there is nothing we can do. Fyn is yours and you plan to see remove us from Jutland as well."

"I do not plan to conquer it out from under you, but know that every time a crack appears I shall place a wedge in it and allow the citizens to hammer away."

"War is war regardless, Meinekinus the Pious. If it helps you sleep at night that your own men don't do the fighting, fine... but we all see through your veil."

"And Prussia has had enough of yours, trying to get peace with us so you can expand without stop... hope that we wouldn't notice you moving in next to us, envious of what we have. Tell the Caliph the time for expansion might be over."

"I doubt I shall remember to tell him that."

"Your loss."

The ambassador left without any more words, leaving Meinekinus in his throne, alone aside from a few guards. He grew silent and foreboding. It was hard to be Pious when you were a king and constantly had to deal with threats solved only through more threats. The world was descending down a never-ending swirl of hatred and war. The Revisionists were making sure of that. News of burnings and stakings and even crucifixions were coming from France, Germany and Galicia. His only hope was that Unionism would take hold somewhere, but it was all for naught. Where radical Christianity died, radical Islam rose to take its place. The Caliph was alone in the Muslim world, Eastern Islam, Western Islam and Shia Islam all began to show their own differences.

"My lord?" a voice called. Meinekinus looked up to see his guards with a small boy, about six. "Your son sends good tidings, and asks that his son be educated here in Memelgrád."

A smile slowly grew on Meinekinus's face as he beckoned the boy to him, "Ah, you must be Karnak!" The small boy nodded. "Guard, please call Ermessentz for me, she shall want to meet our grandson."

"Yes sir." The guard left and Meinekinus picked the boy up and propped him on his knee.

"So your father sent you here for an education. Well, we'll start soon, make sure you turn out to be a knight in shining armour."

"Do I get a sword?" the small boy asked.

"Yes, you shall get a sword." The boy smiled.

"Good, because daddy says I'll need it to defend the Kingdom!"

"Yes, you will also need it to protect the weak and innocent from those who would exploit them."

"It is a long road to become a knight, do you think you can handle it?"

"Yes. I am a brave knight!"

End Chapter Twenty One

I think Prussia is due for one of those.

hahaha... I say he either:
1. turns into a bloodthirsty tyrant in spite of Meinekinus' teachings
2. turns into a bloodthirsty tyrant out of spite of Meinekinus' gentility

Map is well done (as usual).

One arises eventually.

Thanks, nsahn. I do my best with the maps.

30,000 anyone?

Homelands
Chapter Twenty Two: We Three Kings
Part 1

Prelude:
King István of Hungary was growing extremely old for the middle ages. He was currently almost 75 years old, making him the oldest Monarch alive in Europe. He also had no sons and only one surviving grandson: Karnak, Prince of Moravia and heir of Bohemia. In 1213 István held many titles including, that of Hungary, Georgia (bought in 1150), Italy (granted by the Pope), Defender of the Faith (by the Pope), Grand Duke of Wallachia and Banat and many other titles of varying solidity. He was a well respected man and a sympathetic one to the cause of his people. The Popes now took refuge in a mountain fortress hidden in the Carpathians, making use of his offer to protect them. Hungary was the last great catholic nation. Few in Hungary wanted Karnak to take the throne, especially amongst the peasant class. So people were sent out to find so-called 'Lost Heirs' and other relatives of the ruling Árpáds. István called a meeting with his nobles and drew up a plan to elect a successor for his Kingdom so that all would be happy. He said that the order of the runners up would also be the order of the succession if the need arise. The nobles agreed and the different candidates were brought to Pressburg.

July 3rd, 1213

On an open fields outside of Pressburg the candidates for the title 'King of Hungary' began to gather. Some had direct blood relations, some had distant family connections, others were from Hungarian nobility, and some were just from prestigious houses elsewhere. The three front runners were Karnak of Prussia, Prince of Moravia; Mihály Árpád, Count of Pest; and Otto von Franken, last remaining scion of the Imperial Dynasty of Old Germany. Of the three only Mihály was over the age of seven, with Karnak being seven and Otto being only six months old. Meinekinus had ventured south to plead Karnak's case on blood and legitimacy more than rabble and nationalism. There was much sympathy for Karnak's case, given the other candidates' claims to the throne. Mihály was unpopular as a person, but had a strong backing of nobles who wanted one of their own on the throne. Otto, however seemed to be the most popular, because it would allow a regency that would more likely than not be under Papal control.

1213.png

Prussia, Bohemia and Hungary in 1213. Royal lands in a slightly darker color.

"My lord," Lucas, Prince of Banat said to Meinekinus, "We are doing our best to raise support for your grandson, but it seems that only older nobles have any sympathy for the blood right to rule anymore." Lucas sighed, showing a sign of the stress of putting his neck out in the hopes of reward.

"I thank you, but I am not surprised. Times grow ever more desperate so people are willing to break tradition to try to fix the problem." Meinekinus tried to smile and lift Lucas's spirits.

"That little German devil is the front runner. We are not even certain he will make it to five. He is small and frail... his mother nothing more than a common harlot. I don't trust him or his followers."

"Yes, much of the Imperial Dynasty made its way to Prussia, they have never mentioned this boy before."

"That is because the Imperial line estranged itself after it fell from power. But I have checked the heraldry, it is all in order. He is the direct descent of Heinrich von Franken through eldest surviving son lineage."

"But why here, why now?"

"Hungary basically hung a help wanted sign, what was to be expected? Even commoners have appeared and a some have suggested the Pope. There is an important title for grabs and everyone wants a piece."

Meinekinus turned in time to see a noble approaching him, his heraldry marked him as Mihály Árpád. The Hungarian was almost thirty five years old and acted as if he were already king. He sneered at Meinekinus and Lucas. "Why do we even let your kind into our little country?" he asked Meinekinus.

"Because in some civilized parts of this world blood right still means something," Lucas said.

"Who asked you? And Lucas, you have a little something here," Mihály indicated his nose and made a flicking motion. Lucas turned a red color and looked down at the ground.

"But he is right. You are nothing more than a damned usurper, seeking to steal what is rightfully the right of Prince Karnak," Meinekinus said.

"We'll see about that, and when I am King no one can call me a usurper."

"O they can, they just won't say it to your face until there is a knife in your back." Meinekinus smiled in a very passive-aggressive way, this threat stood.

"We'll see, Prussian King." Mihály disappeared into the crowds, his guard and posse in quick pursuit.

"Wonderful man, really," Lucas said.

"So I've gathered."

At the head of the crowd, on a covered stage that included such personalities as King István and the Pope. The last of the ballots were being counted and it seemed a decree from the King was inevitable. Amongst the officials there seemed to be some amount of concern but things were wrapping up, there was little that could be done at this point.

King István stood up and settled the crowd with his hands and with a soft voice announced the results. "The heir to the crown will be Otto von Franken; followed by Karnak, Prince of Moravia; and then Mihály Árpád. That is that."

Lucas turned to Meinekinus with a grim look on his face, "Dammit, that little devil..."

"We did all we could, Lucas... there isn't much more to be done," Meinekinus said.

Lucas was unconvinced, he pulled at his beard and twisted his moustache. "There is still time, my lord."

Meinekinus raised an eyebrow and then scowled, "I'll have none of that! And I must make my leave. There is little that can be done now." Meinekinus left but Lucas remained vigilant. Tonight he would begin the journey back to Banat, but that would not be the end of this. He knew that Hungary's future laid with Karnak, the boy who would rule three lands.

Great update! Just one little thing, I think you forgot to put in Lucas' evil laugh at the end there. Was that an "assasinate rival clamant" event?

Great update! Just one little thing, I think you forgot to put in Lucas' evil laugh at the end there. Was that an "assasinate rival clamant" event?
Thanks

No, really just my own creative workings. My note for this update was "Inheritance Issues" so I have to expand. When I took notes, I assumed I would have an update out within a few weeks, not a few months; so they were rather spartan.