• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The Year Italy Joined the World War
Part 6: Operation Trajan III, 29 June – July 15, 1940

This period of sixteen days encompasses the period that Graziani’s and Bastico’s concept of operations was truly put to the test, and with vindicating results. With the infusion of forces necessary for a good concentration of firepower under Graziani, Italian forces were able to break the bloody deadlock and restore both their offensive capabilities and their normal very advantageous ratio of casualties. Under Graziani, Italian casualties were more or less quartered, while Romanian casualties dipped only slightly.

The day after Graziani’s limited offensive opened, it was subsumed into something greater. Bastico dedicated the rest of his 2a Armata, and Graziani’s push became more ambitious. Indeed, Bastico’s own push would take half of his army right up to the Hungarian border, given that it had, with Germany’s blessings, removed large tracts of Romanian soil from Romanian sovereignty. The plan became to divide the Romanian forces in two, thus preventing those in the west from aiding those in the east once the push on Bucharest began.

049-01-BroaderOffensive.jpg

The broader Italian offensive of June 29.

After only four days, results began coming in. Bastico’s push, at Arad, was successful in dislocating the Romanian forces, inflicting over one thousand two hundred casualties on them for losses of only two hundred and fifty. On the same day, the second battle for Faget ended. Just under five hundred Italians lost their lives, as opposed to nearly two thousand two hundred Romanians. The tables certainly had turned. Able to concentrate at last, the Italians were already beginning to run amok in Romania and with Romanian defending forces. The battle of Hunedoara would only end on the 6th, however, with over one thousand one hundred Italian casualties and nearly two thousand one hundred Romanian deaths. The lesson remained: lack of concentration resulted in casualties. It was as Clausewitz had written: “the best strategy is first to be very strong, and then very strong at the decisive point.” Italy was not achieving the former particularly well, but it was certainly achieving the latter.

049-02-SecondFaget.jpg

The results of the second battle of Faget.

By the time Hunedoara fell, the Italian vanguards were fighting battles right on the Hungarian border. Savarsin fell to the Italians with less than forty casualties, as against over four hundred and fifty Romanian losses. In other places, resistance was tougher. At Ilia, one Italian division, soon reinforced by two more and then later another, struggled against three Romanian divisions and two corps headquarters, though of which two divisions were well worn by recently inflicted defeats. By the 11th of July, Ago’s corps of Bastico’s 2a Armata was marching eastward along the Hungarian border and was fighting the Romanians for Campeni. Romania had been cut in two. Further battles occurred and ended, and nearly always Italy had returned to its normal ratio of casualties: some two or three or even four enemies killed for every Italian death. By the 14th, the Hungarian border had been reached in two places, thus cementing the Italy bisection of Romania.

049-03-ReachingHungarianBorder.jpg

Romania bisected. Note the Romanian incursion into Yugoslavia, which completely failed regardless of what its strategic aim actually was.

Bastico then split his army, leaving Ago’s corps to support Graziani’s turn northeastward. Bastico then took his other corps, under Aymonnino, and wheeled southwestward. His task was to clear up the Romanian forces in the west and generally prevent them from becoming nuisances, similar to his task in the north of Yugoslavia the previous year. While hardly a glamorous job, Bastico knew that he could be commanding a presently backwater army like that in Spain or North Africa. Instead, he was still garnering glory, of some kind, for himself. He had, after all, been and indeed still was the second general of the east, after Pintor. Graziani, though successful, was not only implementing ideas that Bastico had advocated but been unable to implement for reasons previously discussed, but also a newcomer.

049-04-TurningWestward.jpg

Half of Bastico’s army turning westward.

Graziani, meanwhile, began two major battles in the center of Romania, at the tip of the Hungarian spear into Romania. The first was the aforementioned battle of Campeni, in which at least four or five Romanian divisions were partaking. The second was the battle of Alba Iulia, a name of obvious Roman origins, where Zingales’ corps was confronting three very tired and battered Romanian divisions, and where victory would result in the encirclement of Campeni. Also worth noting is that Graziani in particular, being on the eastern flank of the push, was drawing Romanian divisions toward him like moths to a flame. With Pintor quiescent and ostensibly recovering from the battering his army had taken and the withdrawal it had suffered, the Romanians felt free to denude that stretch of front of all but the barest amount of troops necessary for an appearance of defense.

049-05-PushingEastward.jpg

Graziani’s push eastward. Note the confused movements of the Romanian divisions everywhere.

As can be seen, Graziani’s arrival was decisive to the conduct of the invasion of Romania. While his memoirs and official biography would both argue that it was his inspired plan of action that broke the stalemate, a more dispassionate analysis would identify that it was his army and its additional eight divisions rather than his own presence that was the major factor. After all, as had been noted several times already, Bastico’s concept of operations was quite similar to Graziani’s but the Italians simply did not have the forces necessary to concentrate to a sufficient extent to make that concept plausible. Now, however, the Romanians were largely broken and on the run.

Nice progress :D

Nice Work!:cool: Thanks to a little Hungarian help you've got Romania on the run. Just keep the momentum up!

Bastico certainly should get some credit for his plans and theories, I'd say give him a chance to prove himself in your next invasion.

Speaking of that, after you've taken Romania, Hungary will have a rather unsightly bulge in your lines, something should be done about that...:rolleyes:

Good update though. I think the Romanians are attempting a March on Rome, but with no supplies I think the odds of it succeding are slim.:p

Very nice AAR. This plus the arrival of 1.3 makes me wish I had the time to actually play the game myself :(

Have you been able to apply any of the newer patches in this game or are you still playing with 1.1?

Very nice progress and even nicer pockets.

Unfortunately Northern Transylvania in HoI3 does not extend as far south-west, as in real life. Well, on the one hand this means that you won't be sending your best wine to Hungary and Germany, on the other hand we will get much mor action out of this campaign. :D

Regarding pockets: how does supply work in HoI3? Are forces sipplied by the IC in the pocket or am I mixing up HoI3 and Arsenal of Democracy?

It seems that time has run out for the Romanians. They had a good run, due to your light initial invasion, but once the numbers showed up, they were done.

Still, it's been the closest-run thing yet. And Romania can hardly be classified as a powerhouse (how're you dealing with their armor, though?). This makes the promised scuffle with Britain all the more interesting...

n.y.o: Yeah, it's not bad. ;)

Maj. von Mauser: Yeah I have no idea what the Romanians are doing. Maybe they've read too much Liddell Hart. :p

Starfury: I began with 1.1, I patched to 1.2 I think from the beginning of 1938 onward and I've patched to 1.3 now, so that will take effect at the end of the year (ie from 1941 onward). And I don't really have time to play, myself, either. Last time I played, 1940, was three weeks ago. :p

Enewald: No! You won't wreck my focus! :p

BlitzMartinDK: Possible...;)

Sokraates: I'm not really sure, and 1.3 may shake things up in this regard even further. :p

Stuyvesant: Well, you really couldn't call it close run, the Romanians never got close to defeating. They just succeeded for a little while in preventing me from going forward. :p

With Romania taken, you have an other 500 km frontline with the Soviet Union, which will require at least an other army to guard. Italy could make more use of those troops in Egypt or at the home front...if the allies should invade italy in the future...

But for the moment the Romanian army is on the run, the campain on the Balkans is one of the greatest successess in Italian history...
Long live the Duce and his generals!

foriavik: Yeah I'll need another couple armies to guard the border with the SU. On the other hand, North Africa can't take any more troops without logistics completely disintegrating. And my entire strategy is based on completely precluding the Allies from landing against me, so that's a moot point. :p

No update tomorrow unfortunately, guys. I'm far too busy at the moment. I'm hoping to write this essay in two days (today being the first) so I can't let time slip by on activities that aren't directly related to either sustaining myself or to university work.

Ah and Romania begins to crumble under the might of Italy and her grand armies. However her grand armies become more and more overstretched as Italy expands her great empire. I was wondering how you plan to overcome your limited supply of manpower?

Bah, despite what you say it was Graziani who is the hero of the Romanian campaign. Now just imagine what you could have done if you had always used the man as you should have. The main general of your forces!

Emerjent: It's not that limited, really. I've got over 700 by now IIRC, possibly close to 800. I'm just not using it. :p

billy bob: Hehe, the campaign isn't over yet! ;)

truth is life: The plan may be something along those lines...:D

I'll try to have an update for tomorrow evening, lads! I've completed my essay. Well, more or less. :D Of course, I've still got shitloads of work left to do but don't need to pull that sort of effort again, at least not for a while.

The Year Italy Joined the World War
Part 7: Operation Trajan IV, July 16 – August 6, 1940

The final three weeks of the campaign witnessed some of the bloodiest fighting yet seen during the war, as fighting continued or began again on all fronts. Graziani’s 1a Armata attracted and by and large outfought the majority of Romania’s surviving army. Bastico’s 2a Armata cleared up western Romania in a forgotten, not too bloody, campaign. Pintor’s 7a Armata dramatically reminded Romania of its presence. Everything finally came together to produce results.

The battles around the Hungary’s new border deep in old Romanian territory continued at a high tilt. Alba Iulia fell to Graziani’s forces with little casualties on either side, the Romanians deciding instead to flee. As Alba Iulia fell, Italian pressure on Campeni grew. Under Ago’s command, two of the three corps now encircling Campeni were pressing inward, slowly crushing the pocket. By the 20th, seven divisions were partaking in the destruction. Against these forces were five Romanian divisions, many of them heavily battered already in Graziani’s northern push.

050-01-BattleofCampeni.jpg

The battle of Campeni, a lost cause for the Romanians.

By the 22nd, Campeni had reached the true crisis point for the defenders. A Romanian relief attempt foundered on the steadfast Italian defense of Alba Iulia, which inflicted casualties at a ratio of over four Romanians for every one Italian killed. Over a tenth of the twelve thousand Romanians committed to the relief attempt were slaughtered. Such casualties, high as they were, however, paled in relation to the carnage in the Campeni pocket, which was finally eradicated three hours after the relief attempt failed. Nearly two thousand Italians lost their lives crushing this pocket, but the Romanian casualties were yet greater: barely under five thousand men lost their lives, out of the fifty-seven thousand engaged. Graziani had secured his flank against the Romanian border at last, and would be able to turn his attention to pushing eastward. Polovragi was his next target. The battle began immediately, with four Italian divisions, facing four Romanian divisions and three headquarters.

050-02-CampeniWon.jpg

The battle of Campeni, won in a field of blood.

As Graziani turned eastward toward Polovragi, Bastico’s 2a Armata was swinging into its own operations. The forces arrayed against it were minor and spread out, yet still constituted a threat if left unattended, comprising two infantry divisions and a cavalry division. With Campeni conquered, Bastico recovered Ago’s corps from Graziani’s hold and immediately redeployed it toward areas relevant to his own operations. Meanwhile, Bastico’s other corps under Aymonnino began pushing into the pocket from the north. The fighting in this area was destined to be a sideshow during the campaign, however, despite Bastico’s army inflicting another several thousand casualties and suffering perhaps up to one or two thousand casualties themselves during the time. Eyes are naturally drawn to the big battalions, and these were not present in the west.

050-03-BasticosArmyontheMove.jpg

Bastico’s army on the move in another of Italy’s forgotten campaigns.

By the 25th of July, the battle of Polovragi was in full swing. Six Italian divisions, with two in reserve, were vying for control of Polovragi with four Romanian divisions and two headquarters units, with one division in reserve. And yet, like Bastico’s campaign though for somewhat different reasons, Graziani’s fight here was forgotten. For one, it was relatively poorly conducted. Graziani’s men suffered over twelve hundred casualties, against nearly two thousand Romanian deaths. Graziani’s magic touch, of rectifying the casualty ratios, seems to have vanished during this battle. This is likely because he knew that he had become a sideshow as well. What Graziani now did, or did not do, did not matter any more. The reason why will be explained momentarily.

050-04-BattleofPolovragi.jpg

The battle of Polovragi by the 25th of July.

On July 17th, Pintor determined that the time had come. The Romanian front opposite him was being weakly held: four divisions for a couple hundred kilometers of front. Having concentrated his two corps and letting Graziani draw all Romanian attention to himself, at this stage Alba Iulia had not yet fallen to the Italians nor Campeni completely invested from all sides, Pintor uncoiled his forces and launched them forward in a headlong fashion. Gambara’s corps, Pintor’s southern wing, was to push directly eastward toward Bucharest. Roatta’s corps was to push directly eastward toward Ploesti. There was to be no deviation. This was Pintor’s coup de grace, at last.

050-05-PintorsCoupdeGrace.jpg

Pintor’s coup de grace.

What followed was a thrust brutally waged. In its very first battles, the Romanians were outnumbered on a scale of three to one, and by their end the combined casualties numbered just five hundred on one side and twenty-six hundred on the other. Finally in his element, Pintor’s virtuosity of simplicity revealed itself again. By the middle of the last week of July, Frattini’s men were fighting in Bucharest again. Indeed, it was fitting that his troops were again the first to reach the Romanian capital, having been the only soldiers to reach it during the initial headlong rush back in May. Messe soon joined him, and together they overwhelmed the Romanian defenders. In the end, Romanian resistance broke on the 5th of August and the city occupied that same day. Gambara’s corps, by then all ensconced in Bucharest, turned northward to attack Ploesti, in another interesting parallel with the initial rush, as Roatta’s corps had been delayed overlong at Pitesti. By next morning, however, resistance had ceased all across Romania as shock and war exhaustion set in. The war was over.

050-06-RomaniaSurrenders.jpg

Romania’s surrender!

Romania was annexed to the growing Italian Empire as the province of Dacia. Romania taught Mussolini that he finally needed to actually expand the Regio Esercito, for Italy’s enemies were no longer the weak creatures of previous months and years; those had all fallen already. All of Italy’s potential enemies now were those with aspirations or pretensions to great power status, or indeed were great powers. Nearly all of them, at least.

What about Bulgaria and Hungary?