• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Jorath13: Some campaigns are always more friction-ridden than others. ;)

Merrick Chance': Not necessarily. A mobile force would take a long time to make effective, given that I've not done any relevant research at all. I'm avoiding mobile forces by deliberate policy choice. Italy is a state of relatively few resources compared to Germany or the United States. :p

Beppo: Nah, I'll pass on that too. :p

Rensslaer: Hehe yeah, those Yugoslav units managed to get out of a tight spot, but they're still in quite some trouble. Victory is still in sight. ;)

The Balbinater: I'm not a fan of militia, really. Plus militia wouldn't work too well in an expeditionary setting, I don't think. :p

Maj. von Mauser: Hehe, success is a relative notion in this case. They merely had to walk through empty fields and whatnot to actually "break out." There was nothing pressuring them from any direction. Their success will be lost in the Italian victories to come. ;)

I'll try to have an update for tonight! In the meantime, go vote!

Jorath13: Merrick Chance': Not necessarily. A mobile force would take a long time to make effective, given that I've not done any relevant research at all. I'm avoiding mobile forces by deliberate policy choice. Italy is a state of relatively few resources compared to Germany or the United States. :p

Also, as I found out, by oversight, to get decent org/morale for motorised inf means a completely new block of land disciplines to research. At the moment, unless you can research decent motorised forces (disciplines as well as the hardware), its probably as well to stay out of it.

Also, as I found out, by oversight, to get decent org/morale for motorised inf means a completely new block of land disciplines to research. At the moment, unless you can research decent motorised forces (disciplines as well as the hardware), its probably as well to stay out of it.

Oh, you're right.

Well, there's always cavalry.

loki100: Ouch, that's painful! Another good reason to avoid those sorts of forces! :p

Merrick Chance': Hehe, I do have a bit of cavalry. At the moment it's all in Libya. ;)

Juan_de_Marco: I'm trying for a sort of balance. It's all strategy in the end anyway. Some theorists dislike the idea of an operational level because it gets in between strategy and tactics and distorts both. :p

Update coming up!

The Year of Aggression
Part 9: Operation Anicius Gallus V, September 11 – September 22, 1939

This period of eleven days represented the final moments of the Yugoslav campaign. With Belgrade effectively under siege, there was little the Yugoslav army could do to save the situation, even temporarily, other than relieve Belgrade. This they had not the available units for: they were all caught up in the convulsed frontages of central Yugoslavia. The Yugoslav army managed to gain tactical victories on the defensive, and managed to stall Italian units for the entire period, but their center of gravity had passed beyond the reach and defenses of the army. These eleven days witnessed much carnage, as much as any other comparable period during the war, but more than ever it served no real purpose except when it occurred in the streets of Belgrade.

As mentioned previously, Slavonski Brod had become one of the great battles of the Yugoslavian campaign. Three Italian divisions, one of them in reserve, ranged themselves up against elements of two Yugoslav divisions and two Yugoslav headquarters units. By the 12th of September it had already been ongoing for a week or more, and would last until the 14th, at which point the stubborn Yugoslav defense finally collapsed. Nearly three hundred and fifty Italians lost their lives crushing that pocket, as did nearly 1,150 Yugoslav soldiers fighting against them. A substantial portion of the remainder of the Yugoslav army was removed from the map with this victory. Simultaneously with this battle, however, Giorgis and Scattini were fighting a difficult battle for Bosanski Petrovac, where their two divisions were striving to defeat three Yugoslav divisions and a headquarters unit. This battle was to continue for the next eleven days, until Yugoslavia officially surrendered. 1,500 Italian and Yugoslav soldiers fell around this town, in what was perhaps a futile battle.

039-01-BattleofSlavonskiBrod.jpg

The battle of Slavonski Brod on the 12th of September.

By the 13th, Messe had reached the deep rear areas of Mancinelli’s and Caracciolo di Feroleto’s assault on Belgrade, thus again cutting Yugoslavia in two. He began the second portion of his march at this point, which was anticipated to take him around Caracciolo di Feroleto’s right flank and allow him to take part in the battle for Belgrade from yet another direction. Elsewhere, one upstart Yugoslav division had begun an attempt to encircle not only Frattini’s division, which was in the very middle of Yugoslavia and nearly surrounded by Yugoslav divisions, but also Pintor’s army headquarters, which were in the area as well. Fortunately both commanders recognized the peril they were in and Frattini marched to open another avenue of supply, while at the same time encircling the would-be encirclers.

039-02-YugoslavSituationSept13.jpg

The Yugoslavian situation on the 13th of September.

After the 13th, there was little real progression in terms of either maneuvers or battles on a grand scale. Hundreds of Italians and thousands of Yugoslav soldiers lost their lives to remain in exactly the positions they were occupying as the climactic battle unfolded in the streets of Belgrade, where two Italian divisions were striving to break through the obstinate Yugoslav defenses. The battle, which by the 13th has already lasted for over a week, raged for the next eight days. In the end, however, Italian persistence and the inevitably of Yugoslav defeat caused the defenders to cave in and withdraw. Messe was not yet near the city but his approach, combined with the hemorrhage of Yugoslav lives, proved the turning point. A full sixth of the Yugoslav defenders were killed, though under a twelfth of the Italian attackers lost their lives. Over the corpses of three thousand dead young men in its streets, Belgrade was conquered.

039-03-BelgradeVictory.jpg

Victory in Belgrade!

The fall of Belgrade proved too much for the Yugoslav people to cope with. The day after its fall, elements of the Yugoslav government fled the country and traveled first through Bulgaria to Turkey, then through Iraq to Egypt and then sailed to Britain, where it ensconced itself in a plush hotel in the center of London and loudly began calling for war with Italy. Those ministers and bureaucrats that stayed quickly surrendered the country to the Italians. Mussolini, faced with the choice of creating a client state or annexing Yugoslavia, opted for the latter. Yugoslavia would become the new province of Illyria in the burgeoning Italian Empire.

039-04-Yugosurrender.jpg

The surrender of Yugoslavia.

With the surrender of Yugoslavia, Mussolini released dramatic news about the Turks. On the 17th they had occupied the Dodecanese Islands, which fell under Italian suzerainty. Bastico’s 2a Armata was to march south and guard the enlarged Greco-Italian border with his four divisions. Pintor’s 7a Armata would not, however, receive any rest. Without allowing any sort of respite, Mussolini announced that Operation Ariarathes had begun. The invasion of Turkey was about to commence. Pintor’s 7a Armata was to be the force to wage land war against the Turks. The naval aspect of the new campaign had already begun.

039-05-OMGThoseTurks.jpg

Those scheming Turks, conquering the Dodecanese!

From one war straight to the other! I've missed a few updates until now, but I got to see the latter half of the Yugoslav war unfold in its entirety. Lack of forces sabotaged your attempts to pocket the Italians, but hey, you managed to conquer the country without real problems, and it's the end result that counts, right? :)

Any lessons learned from Yugoslavia that you will be applying to the Turks?

Well, I think you've done a decent job of your first attempt at a quick mobile war "Guerra de Lampo*", especially considering the terrain and the forces you had at your disposal. However, I fail to see why you are rushing to invade Turkey.I really hope you arn't rushing this as much as your update makes it sound.

* Yeah, I like the term Guerra de Lampo, I will use it from now on, and so should Mussolini!:mad::cool:Besides it just sounds badass.:D

* Yeah, I like the term Guerra de Lampo, .....

If I can.... It's "Guerra del Lampo" if you mean "Flash war". It could be "Guerra del Fulmine" if you mean "Lightning war".

Anyway, lampi e fulmini are about to fall on Turkey... And then? Straight to Moscow? :D

From one war straight to the other! I've missed a few updates until now, but I got to see the latter half of the Yugoslav war unfold in its entirety. Lack of forces sabotaged your attempts to pocket the Italians, but hey, you managed to conquer the country without real problems, and it's the end result that counts, right? :)

Any lessons learned from Yugoslavia that you will be applying to the Turks?

WHO'S this traitor? Rooting for the Yougoslavs?!!! Shame on you!

:rolleyes:

If I can.... It's "Guerra del Lampo" if you mean "Flash war". It could be "Guerra del Fulmine" if you mean "Lightning war".

Anyway, lampi e fulmini are about to fall on Turkey... And then? Straight to Moscow? :D

That's what happens when you get a dumb American like me using Bablefish.:eek:o:D

Guerra del Fulmine it is then!:cool:

Stuyvesant: Yeah: don't fight a land war in Asia. If Yugoslavia was like that, think of what China would be like! :eek: But actually, not really. It's the way I think and play that I stretch economy of force its very boundaries even when I should dedicate more forces to any given task. This will return to haunt me in the future as well. :p

Maj. von Mauser: Yep, the invasion of Turkey is pretty much nigh! Italy's prestige must not be stained like it was by the Abyssinia situation! :p

Gladiator: Goodness, Moscow? That's totally the war I was not preparing at all for! :p

BlitzMartinDK: Gotta give them their due though, they fought pretty well. They'll be good servants of the empire. ;)

Maj. von Mauser: Babelfish is awesome.
nods.gif

If you haven't voted in the ACAs yet, you should! Go vote!

Good job in Yougoslavia, but you'll need to leave some troops behind to garrison your newly conquered province of Illyria. Since you also need to guard your border with the Greeks AND are planning on sending 7a Armata to Turkey, I wonder if you're already producing new, badly needed troops. Perhaps you could give us an update on both research and production? I'd also like to see how the conquest (or re-conquest? ;) ) of Illyria has affected your ressource income and industrial productivity. Is il Duce pleased?

That's what happens when you get a dumb American like me using Bablefish.:eek:o:D

Guerra del Fulmine it is then!:cool:

But if you mean "blitz war", then it's really "guerra lampo".
This words started being used after fascism fall, anyway. Mussolini, for a while, couldn't accept German military superiority. After Italy went in war, when Germany was getting those "guerra lampo" victories, he prevented newspapers from writing "German victories", enforcing them to talk about "Axis victories", "Axis superiority", and so on...

BTW, Americans are good and nice people. :)

Baltasar: Il Duce is more or less pleased. As for tech and production, that'll come in the usual second half of the year update later on. But not just yet. ;)

Gladiator: Axis superiority is identical to Italian superiority! At least here. ;)

Enewald: Kind of. There's also something of a port there, apparently. ;)

Stuyvesant: Good, good. :D

BlitzMartinDK: That's not a nice thing to say! :eek:

I'll have an update for tomorrow evening, guys! Also, vote!

Now that was an exciting ending to the war in Yugoslavia! Hopefully the troops gained some valuable fighting experience here in the hills and mountainside. Now to apply it to the future war in Turkey...though are you looking at pushing through Greece first?

But if you mean "blitz war", then it's really "guerra lampo".
This words started being used after fascism fall, anyway. Mussolini, for a while, couldn't accept German military superiority. After Italy went in war, when Germany was getting those "guerra lampo" victories, he prevented newspapers from writing "German victories", enforcing them to talk about "Axis victories", "Axis superiority", and so on...

BTW, Americans are good and nice people. :)

No I mean Guerra del Fulmine. This is Italians talking about Italian work, and since Italy's performance is much better then Germany's in this life, Italy now invented the Blitzkreig!:D Or something like that. GUERRA DEL FULMINE!!!

And yeah, I just feel stupid when I screw up someone elses language, yet everyone else knows mine. Then there wil be those Americans who wil make fun of some foreigners poor English or something, yet they don't know a lick of that persons native language.