• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The Soviets are quite lucky lately. Too much, for my liking.

Kurt_Steiner: And for mine, too. The AI is doing really great (or maybe I am just incompetent and trying to reach unrealistic goals? dunno)! I mean they really got the whole Ukrainian Front out of the trap and spoiled my fun with counter-attacks towards my weak spots - totally awesome :D
"Patched to perfection" I really have to say that.

I have reduced the difficulty to Hard as of August 1st. I hope you do not mind.

I'm fine with the reduction. You have done very well all things considered.:)

I think you mean to say "Swift" Heinz, and I have never heard him called "Fast" in English. It's usually Swift Heinz. Anyways, it was a good plan, but the plan was labeled Very Hard.:D

Maj. von Mauser: Ah I did not know that. The German nickname "Der schnelle Heinz" translates directly into "fast" (since it accounted to his panzers being very fast and gaining ground so quickly) that's why I assumed his translated nick would be "Fast Heinz". Funny thing :)
I doubt the difficulty reduction will make a big difference after 6 weeks of Barbarossa - at least not in 1941 anymore. But it will definitely give me more joy playing. Every now and then a plan might actually work... ;)

You left Mogilev Podolsky undefended!

Well, it was a good attempt.
You should instead of attempting to pocket Odessa attack northwards from Krivoy Rog with full force, trying to pocket whole of Soviet Central Front in case your panzers could have broken through the front-lines in north.

Panzers don't need bridges, engineers build bridges for them whenever bridges would be needed. :p

Enewald: Yeah pretty much did that - I put everything I had into the battle - a desperate move that did not work out. :(
I have already considered doing the last move... I have not played ahead yet so this might just be something OKW comes up with.
Currently I am redeploying the 4. PG for a breakthrough towards Riga (this time it just will happen!) and the 1. and 2. PG must wait in the south till the INF has caught up and stabilized the frontline. The 3. PG is still missing an armor corps that is currently gaining strength in Berlin and still missing a MOT to be complete so it has just not enough "punch" for the drive to Minsk or even southward.

We'll see how it will go on from here ;)

Moscow (August 1st, 1941)

roter_platz_1941_2.jpg

The red square with newly recruited troops marching (painting by K. Yuon - 1942)

The war was far away for the inhabitants of Moscow. Six weeks had passed since the initial shock that the former ally had betrayed them, but that seemed like an aeon ago.
In a way this was Stalin's responsibility. The first man of Soviet Russia had been an example of courage, of the will to act, of strength of will.
In an early speech, on June 23rd, the had spoken to his people and said the remarkable words
"We are not going to falter nor are we going to surrender.
The Fascists who have betrayed our trust, who have tried to sneak upon us in the night and stick a knife into our unguarded back have discovered that we have a skin of steel and their knife has broken in the attempt.
Now the mighty Red Army shall punish the invaders and make them pay blood for every inch of Russian soil they dare to set their foot on. Our wrath, the relentless wrath of the people, shall descend upon the Fascists like a hammer.
It will smash them, it will destroy them!"
Speeches like these were not made often, the longer the war lasted. The Moscowers had just gone on with their lifes. It was much more of a concern where to get the next meal, a few slices of bread or a watery soup.
The front was far away - hadn't they heard of a German breakthrough in Lvov? That was Poland! The Red Army would retreat a few steps, the attack would run dead in the endless plains of Russia or the Ukraine, for sure.
War seemed very far away.
The more it confused them when the order came that every citizen would have to report to work on the fortifications.
Yes, that's right! Stalin had ordered a double line of defence to be built around the capital: trenches had to be dug, bunkers to be built, buildings to be raised. For the over 300 miles long half-circle of fortifications that was planned around Moscow thousands of workers were needed and Stalin made sure there were enough.
All men between the age of 17 and 55 that were not drawn by the Red Army were to dig and sweat for Mother Russia.
As usual the Russian sweared, drunk Vodka and got to work.
They knew the Rasputitsa was coming soon enough.

Last edited:
Ahh, daily life in Moscow. It probably changed too much because of the war. ;)

Better to be safe then sorry.

Myth: Just a small intro for the upcoming August operations. Yes war changes everything, doesn't it?

Maj. von Mauser: Right! To simulate the entrenchments I will be adding the corresponding land fortifications around Moscow and increase them over time. The Soviets are prepared!

Hmm, I'm sure the Instantsija knew the Germans would be attacking sooner or later. :p But ah well, propaganda is always propaganda. :p

What is the fortification level of Moskau?

Short info for the coming updates: I will not be able to write some until early next week, since I am unfortunately quite busy iRL and will not be at home for the weekend :(
However, I have played a little yesterday night and have some stuff to write about once I find the time. Hope you'll come back next week I promise drama and glory :D

Real life takes precedence. Just make shure you have an extra epic update for us when you get back!:p:D

So, I am back :)
...and found a new appartment in the meantime which I will be moving to in December which is really nice.
Probably this means a lot of interruptions of my gaming intents (y'know, moving furniture and getting your ISP to switch your broadband connection etc.) but I will nonetheless try to play this one through.

And yes - I will try to sneak in an update tonight :D

Last edited:
Drama in the south (1st - 8th of August, 1941)

1941_early_august.png

Early August was disastrous for the Wehrmacht. The mighty Panzerwaffe had overextended itself, the Blitzkrieg tactics had failed. Supply lines were growing longer, fuel was more difficult to obtain. Ceaseless attacks of the never tiring enemy with his armada of tanks wore the infantry out, leaving the spearheads on it's own, unable to manoeuvre further. Even the most skilled panzer generals like Guderian and Rommel were not able to turn the tide, to get that final breakthrough. Maybe it was too optimistic to even hope that such a breakthrough could be obtained – the Germans faced an ever increasing number of divisions, of tanks, of planes, strengthening the front on a daily basis. Where in June a single division had been covering the front-line now stood two or in some places even three. The huge Russian Empire had revealed a glimpse of it's possibilities as far as manpower and industrial strength was concerned, and this was just the beginning.
The German divisions on the other hand had suffered heavy losses in July and replacements were only coming in sparsely. The “hold” order in the central front part seemed particulary difficult to keep. Just a short example to underline this situation.
Leutnant Jäger belonged to the 1. Kompanie, 1. Bataillion, Infantrieregiment 54 of the 100. leichte Infantrie-Division. He was found shot in the head, last grenade still clutched, in the midst of his men. Unteroffizier Hahne, headshot, dead next to the MG, two more men to his sides, left an right, also with head-shots. A single man had managed to escape the foxhole and run nearly 50 paces before also having been shot in the head. Close to 20 dead Russians in front of the Germans showed the desperate last stand that had occurred.
This was the defence the German units had to go through along the entire Ostfront.

fallen_soldier.jpg

A fallen German soldier at the central front, close to Lublin

The last attack attempt towards northern Romania of Guderian and Rommel to capture Chisinev made some progress, at first but the panzers had barely moved when the Ukrainian Front began it's counter-attacks towards Balta. Field Marshal Kulik used his 4th Tank Army to drive a wedge into the front line and his quick advance left the commanders of the 1. and 2. Panzergruppe no choice. All attacks were immediately cancelled and a retreat order was issued. Should the Red Army advance to far in the rear, the two tank armies would risk to be cut off. The 11. Panzerkorps led by General Stumme fought off four violent attacks and was responsible for the successful withdrawal in the end. The losses, however, were horrible. At the 5th of August the whole Korps had merely 80 tanks left and lost nearly a third of it's men. But they did it. All five PzKorps were able to retreat through the open hole.

Sd_Kfz_250.jpg

A retreating vehicle Sd.Kfz.250 from the 1. Panzergruppe, south of Mogilev Podolski

While the panzers still fought a retreating battle, the 10. Armee of General Otto von Stülpnagel faced a precisely timed attack from the Central Russian Front. General Kuznetsov and General Voroshilov had timed an assault towards the supposed weak point in the German front, where the Hungarian 1. Corps was holding. A tenfold enemy force attacked the barely dug in Hungarians who fought for their lives. It was one of the bloodiest battles so far, mercilessly fought. As the losses mounted up and some companies merely consisted of 20-40 men the Hungarian units finally had to retreat, after four days.
When the shaken troops moved aross the dusty roads they were relieved by the retreating PzKorps of the 2. Panzergruppe. The tanks had made it just in time to block the intruding Soviet forces and, to cut off the breakthrough and stabilize the front. The night of the 6th was the decisive night in Stanislawow. At 0300 hours General Voroshilov finally called off the attack.

eicke.jpg

Generalleutnant Eicke, new commander of the XXIII. Armeekorps

Preparations for the next German offensive was well under way by then. A mighty ”Thunderstrike” would crush the Central Front of the Red Army – at least, according to the Führer's plan. In preparation for the operation the 10. Armee and 17. Armee were joined under the command of General Heissmeier. This army would play a major part in the upcoming battles. The remaining divisions were grouped into the XXIII. Armeekorps and put under the command of Lt. General Eicke.
The first day for the Thunder was set to the 15th of August. It was the last chance for a decision in the east.

Last edited:
Glad to see the Hungarians showed their worth.

Hopefully this "Thunderstrike" works.:rolleyes: