• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
oh! I got in late! But men! this is an awesome AAR. I like it, I like it allot, gonna join in now :p

You know how to write Mr. Capiatlist- you write really really well, I really enjoyed reading thus far.

can't wait for the EU3 period, you gonna take it to Ricky or stop at EU3?

Thanks for the compliments! I've already promised to at least go through Ricky. I might do HoI II, or I might just do narrative after 1936 to at least get to the modern day.

What really interested me is the language and the culture- it is interesting you use Greek Alphabet, in the Baltic-

The question is whatever or not we will see more Anglo-Prussian vocabulary translated.

What really interested me is the language and the culture- it is interesting you use Greek Alphabet, in the Baltic-

The question is whatever or not we will see more Anglo-Prussian vocabulary translated.

I can try to get a second lesson up at some point in the future. Using it in story takes a lot of time because I usually have to invent new vocabulary and try to remember my previous language lessons.

Argh Aeromechanics II!

Homelands
Chapter Sixteen: Winters of War
Part 1

Prelude:
In 1171 King Gunvald signed the Æthelsræchtæs, or the “Noble’s Rights”. Prussia’s feudal contract ensured that vassals of the King were guaranteed their lineage without due process and proper cause to remove them. It also ensured their right to tax their own lands and divide their lands as they wished. But for the King it ensured his right to levy troops from vassal’s lands (which before he could not legally do if the owner refused) as well as to tax his vassals directly. The most important part, though, for the Leofricsons was the abolishment of the noble’s right to approve or disapprove of an heir. Only the King could appoint the title “Prince of Prussia”, the traditional title of the heir apparent. In Prussia the heir was chosen from merit, not from birth order, though it was always to a male. Female succession was illegal in Prussia, though the legal systems were far more lax on its women subjects then in neighboring countries. Daughters of the Prussian King often were quickly married off as peace offerings to neighboring countries. It was in this way that many of the monarchs were all descendent of Earl Leofric. Their names, like the multiple wives that a Prussian King might end up having, would often fall through the cracks of history. Forgotten forever.

Sviendorog.jpg

Sviendorog Leofricson as Prince of Prussia

March 21st, 1171

On the equinox nobles from around the Kingdom travelled to the great church in Marienscír. There a great document lay before them, the Æthelsræchtæs. It had been meticulously designed by Sviendorog and then penned by monks from Eadbert’s monastery.

“Princes of the Kingdom, before you sits the rights of all here, penned on paper for all eternity,” Gunvald said, passing his arm over the paper dramatically. The nobles gathered around and began reading over the cleverly disguised contract. Sviendorog provided translations to the mainly Saxon and Russian nobility who could not yet read the official church tongue. The nobles were torn, they had expected a major victory over the King in the signing of this paper, but instead found out what it meant to compromise. But more so, not agreeing to the document was the same as treason. It was a trap, they were to agree with these new terms or face destruction at the hands of the Prussian army, which was strong from fighting wars without much help from the vassals.

Aethelmaer, one of the Saxon Leofricsons, had become the head of the nobles at the meeting. He was a vain, weak-willed scholar who was nothing more than a puppet of the nobles. But as one of the heads of the Leofricson houses, he had some authority in the eyes of the Kingdom. He approached Gunvald directly, though he was three years younger than Sviendorog.

“Your majesty, this is nothing what I and the other nobles expected!”

“I noticed through your reactions, but the question is, what can you do about it? You wanted rights; I have them laid out before you. I believe that my son has drafted a good compromise. The problem is you were expecting to hold sway over me, turn Prussia into some sort of mob-ruled patchwork of Dukes vying for power like Poland. I thought that our… my defeat of Poland proved that system wrong.” Gunvald was silent, but his voice hung thick in the room.

“Does family mean anything to you Gunvald? Does right and privilege mean anything?”

“Aethelmaer, you forget the one-sidedness of our beliefs. You want to be able to choose my heir, but I cannot choose yours?”

“My heir doesn’t rule over all of us.”

“Yes, but I still have to deal with the little piece of shit.” Again his final word echoed in the church.

“This is not what it means to be a Saxon warrior, Gunvald,” Aethelmaer said, quietly.

“I am afraid to tell you, but I am no Saxon. And neither are half of my nobles. Nor are my heirs. We are not Saxons, Aethelmaer, we are Prussians. We are a different stock. Now, I know my family name might be a Saxon name and I know most of its wearers are Saxon, but I am not Saxon. I. rule. as. I. see. fit.”

Aethelmaer was stunned, he had expected his statement to work, but here it was; the truth many Saxons feared. Prussia was not a Saxon entity. It was its own.

“So that is how it is? You right a paper, bring us around it, belittle me, and give us no choice but to sign it?”

Gunvald said one word, but he said it with a quiet grace and dignity that gave it the power of a roar, “Yes.”

July 7th, 1172

King Gunvald and his son Sviendorog and his sons Valikaila and Meinekinus travel along the western-most roads of the Kingdom. Beyond them, in the distance, lay the rump Kingdom of Poland. The poles had done well to fortify their few remaining towns. The Prussian army was stationed across the river from the new Polish capital of Opole.

“What do you think of what our neighbors have busily been building these last few years?” Gunvald asked his son.

“Unimpressive. They trust too much that the river will provided the needed protection while they haphazardly build towers and forts. They mean nothing. A fort that is protecting only itself is protecting nothing.” Sviendorog mused.

“What do you think will happen?” Gunvald asked.

“I believe we shall attack, their army shall abandon the city and occupy the fort. We shall then take the city and burn the fort down with the Polish army still in it.”

“You sound confident, son.”

“I am. We’ve crushed them in the past and we’ve only gotten bigger since then.”

Gunvald nodded. He stopped his horse and looked into Opole. The Polish kingdom suffered and this city showed the extent of the cancer.

“So I assume we shall be moving out this time next year?” Sviendorog asked.

“Yes. Next year begins a new series of war and conquest for Prussia.”

Ah, Poland is nothing,
Could be also called Kingdom of Schlesien. :p

'piece of shit'
I like those words.
And I like Gunvalt.
What is funnier than to play with your nobles.

'piece of shit'... the last time I used those words were during last spring when we had to read some crappy modern English book. The teacher asked my opinion of the book and I said directly that the book was crap. Sometimes truth is unpleasant. :cool:
Next time I will have to find other means to show my dislike of bad books that we have to read in school. :rolleyes:

Ah, Poland is nothing,
Could be also called Kingdom of Schlesien. :p

'piece of shit'
I like those words.
And I like Gunvalt.
What is funnier than to play with your nobles.

'piece of shit'... the last time I used those words were during last spring when we had to read some crappy modern English book. The teacher asked my opinion of the book and I said directly that the book was crap. Sometimes truth is unpleasant. :cool:
Next time I will have to find other means to show my dislike of bad books that we have to read in school. :rolleyes:
It could be called "Prussia Bait."

Heh, I have quiet the potty-mouth, but I usually tone it down in my writing.

First of all: great update.

Well, I guessed some more rights to the King, but I guess these are enough, at least we know who the heir's gonna be, and we know he's wise, very wise.

I just hope Poland isn't too much of a trouble :p

This was supposed to be an update, but instead it is me telling you my laptop died... but we are in luck because I already have a new computer with all the save files on it! Huzzahs! But it does mean I will finish the update for tomorrow. Sorry. :eek:o

Homelands
Part 2

Prelude:
By 1173 the feudal system was growing in Prussia. The originally unpopular creed grew into something uniquely Prussian. The Dinástijásistemá (Dynasty System) and the Dinástijáræt (Estates General lit. Dynasty Congress) represented the nobles when the estate general was called by the King. Only then could they voice their opinion of and to the King. Very few Kings in the history of Prussia ever called the Estates General to order, many nobles found that the King of Prussia still had enough troops to fight any war he needed to, but with the extra taxes could field the army more effectively. King Gunvald’s plan to significantly enlarge Prussia started with the annexation of Poland, by force if necessary, followed by a rapid attack into Russia. Poland, which now was little more than a tiny strip of land dividing Prussia and Germany, had fallen deep into economic and social chaos. Historically speaking Prussian control over the region started after the Fourth Prusso-Polish War in 1165, but the control was really just the expanding sphere of influence asserted by the Prussians. Germany too vied for power, but its own civil war left Poland isolated. It was only because of the Prussian presence that kept the Margrave of Saxony from seizing the title “King of Poland” for himself. In 1173, however; Gunvald sent a tax collector, a priest and a copy of the Æthelsræchtæs to Opole. The message was clear: you are my vassal.

Lands1173.png

Prussia's feudal entities (excluding vassals of vassals). Dark red is territory of the King. Medium Red (within Lithuania) is the territory of the Prince. Similar colours represent 'circles' within the feudal system.

June 3rd, 1173

In Krakow, King Gunvald and Prince Sviendorog waited for the Polish reply to their statement. Sviendorog pointed out that a show of arms would most likely force a peaceful settlement, but Gunvald still held out for diplomacy.

“The armies of Prussia outnumber our enemies 10 to 1, they will surrender to reason, if not the King, the nobles must truly see a better life with us as their masters,” Gunvald mused. Sviendorog didn’t seem to agree, force was the only way Poland had been coerced before.

“Are you suggesting that the Polish princes over-throw their King to surrender to you? I don’t know if they will.”

“Each war they have gotten weaker willed. In the first war they followed their King to death in back, the second they glanced nervously around, the third they started to sweat, after the fourth they must quiver in fear… this will work, my son.”

“May I suggest that at the least we move to Opole as a show of force?” Sviendorog said. He eyed his father cautiously knowing that some agreement with the Polish may have been made previously.

“I agree,” Gunvald said. Sviendorog sighed in relief once his father was not looking at him directly. Sviendorog left to rouse the army to march. He had stationed the army to be ready come morning, so his task was an easy one. His father came out to watch the army begin its slow march out of Krakow and to the enemy.

“You’ve been itching to leave, huh?” he asked earnestly.

“I want this war over as quickly and painlessly as possible.”

“You and I both.”

“You really think the Polish will just hand you their crown?”

“I do.”

“Why?”

“I have insiders.” Gunvald winked. Sviendorog stopped suddenly and looked at his father.

“Really?”

The two mounted up with their person guards and joined alongside their army. The idea of his father actually attempting to simply take over Poland from within struck him as exceedingly cunning. So many years of war and chess have blinded him to the game off the board. In recent years Polish Kings have come and gone like flies. The republic was less and less stable with each passing election. One King ruled for all of an hour before losing the crown in a reelection. Sviendorog saw where a single, blood-chosen, King would be advantageous. The march wasn’t a long one, nearly one hundred miles. It would take less than a week for the Prussians to physically get there, but by the time they did, Poland would have already known about it for days.

June 9th, 1173

Outside of Opole the Prussian army was fully camped, some 28,000 soldiers versus a rag-tag 2,000 defenders, many of whom where German knights there to defend the small catholic nation. Gunvald and Sviendorog took refuge from the sun, staying in their tent and helping themselves to honeywine and bread. Sviendorog put himself to the task to trying to organize, but soon found his father convinced that they would be dining in Opole in a few hours. Outside a massive roar of voices came from the Polish city. Sviendorog got up to ready the army, but instead found that the Polish were now in the midst of a civil war.

The Polish fought between one another and the Prussians gathered around to watch. A rider came up from the Opole carrying a letter and chased by several men from the other side. He was allowed to pass, but his pursuers were forced to give up the chase. With him, the rider had a large, heavy bag, which seemed to be the target of the others. He was out of breath, and in between gasps demanded to see King Gunvald. The Prussian King, hearing his name, stepped outside and the rider bowed down, “My liege! I am Count Wladislaw of Poland and I have urgent news, my King.” He fumbled into the bag and produced the crown of Poland. “There is little time, Lord, so I must crown you now!” Gunvald took the crown and placed it on his head, he then looked to Sviendorog and nodded.

“Mount up, men of Prussia!” Sviendorog shouted, he pointed the tip of his sword dramatically towards the enemy. One army was marked by red and white banners and the other by black and white banners. The Black Army, or group supportive of Prussia was made up of the oldest and youngest Polish nobles. The eldest believed that after so many wars it was time to give up, while the youngest felt that Prussia truly was the future of Europe. The middle-aged nobles still supported an independent Poland, having not been convinced by Prussia and having not seen enough war to dissuade them.

With the support of Prussia the Black Army quickly triumphed over the White Army. Many Polish nobles died in the fighting, especially those who stood against Prussia. As the dust settled in Silesia, Western Europe was significantly weaker. Not that Poland was a major player, but the line between East and West had been pushed up against Germany, and from within Catholicism seemed on the verge of destruction. Preachers, heretics and even Kings began to feel that the Pope was leading them astray and into damnation and failure. Even so, the end of Catholicism was still a distant dream, and Gunvald's attention turned away from the West and to the East. Russia. The land of Rurik was his for the taking.

Prussia1173.png

Prussia after the 5th Polish War

Oh my ! I had missed this awesome AAR ! Fortunately, dear Mr Capitalist, you come to the MEIOU subforum, so i could see your sig.

I've spent the better part of this afternoon and evening reading each update. And, par ma barbe, what a nice time it was ; a great prussian History lesson served by wonderful writing skills.

I shall definitely keep following this AAR. :cool:

Oh my ! I had missed this awesome AAR ! Fortunately, dear Mr Capitalist, you come to the MEIOU subforum, so i could see your sig.

I've spent the better part of this afternoon and evening reading each update. And, par ma barbe, what a nice time it was ; a great prussian History lesson served by wonderful writing skills.

I shall definitely keep following this AAR. :cool:

Thank you very much! I am currently torn between MMP and MEIOU for the next leg of this game. I definitely love MEIOU far more than I do MMP (which is for sado-masochists), but it does have certain features that I believe will do the AAR good, namely their religion aspect with multiple conversions and extra Islamic religions which are sorely needed to keep the game balanced. And that is the key, since Europe is muslim and Arabia is muslim, if they were to both be sunni, the lack of additional revolt risk would allow one to conqueror the other quite quickly.

I know MEIOU has extra Christian tags, but with so few Christians remaining by 1399 they would go to waste.

Even so, this AAR expires at 1356 in anticipation for a new version of MEIOU (just in case). In the end, I might just have to man-up and mod a bit on my own and go with what I love.

Update is in the works. I am trying to stick to at least once a week, but homework first, then P'dox.

Last edited:
Finished math early!

Homelands
Part 3

Prelude:
With the summer of 1173 still very young, Gunvald and Sviendorog planned to begin their assault on Russia, Gunvald planned to expand Prussia by more than half of its current size. This huge increase would bring prosperity and, more importantly, manpower into the growing Kingdom. With a proper King of the Rus still lacking, Gunvald found claiming the title to be an important step to uniting Eastern Christianity. But it was much easier said than done. The Rus, facing countless enemies within and without, had broken down into several tribes, each centered on a particular city and each claiming sovereignty over all the Rus. Beyond the Rus where the Mordvins, non-Russian pagans who had greatly expanded at the loss of the Rus and the Bulgars. The Mordvins were also claiming to rule all the Rus, and controlling Moscow gave some legitimacy to their claim. To the south were the remains of the Cumans, the muslim tribes and their respective allies. They held sway over a few Rus tribes, but in general were no threat to Prussia. It was here that Gunvald planned to begin his conquests, blocking the Mordvins and Rus from the Black Sea and trade with much of Europe. This territory, known to the Prussians as Æsow (Azov), would be an important immigration point in the coming decades.

Expansion.png

Gunvald's plans to expand Prussia in the coming decade.

July 28th, 1173

This war was entirely up to Sviendorog. He knew it would be hard facing the two most powerful generals the Rus and Cuman had to throw at him; Generals Mud and Winter. His father was entertaining Papal diplomats after his annexation of Poland. A convenient excuse to keep warm and dry perhaps, but he was not there to judge his father. The Kingship would be his soon enough, he thought. So far history had smiled on General Kings, the Great Aethelweard had been a commander just like him. Sviendorog was not used to fits of grandiose ego, but the moniker 'Sviendorog the Great' had a good ring to it. He caught himself stroking his beard as he stood watching the soldiers march forward. Shaking his head, the Prussian Prince woke from his day-dreams and returned to the present. His troops were marching into Azov.

Prussian1174.png

Sviendorog's two-staged attack on the Cumans.

"Sinik un Sinikjá!" his troops said as they passed.

"Lieme, Kárávursæs!" he said back to them. They were pleased with his command, sure of victory despite the horrors that stood before them. They saluted loyally and continued on their way. Sviendorog let his mind wander again, thinking of home. His two eldest sons were both now in school. The elder of the two, Valikaila was an apprentice to King Gunvald. The younger, Meinekinus, was studying in Eadbert's monastery. It was Sviendorog's dream that the two could co-rule Prussia, but he knew that it would be almost impossible for them to work together for long; so he trusted his father to turn Valikaila into the next great king of Prussia. It felt strange to him, he acted as if his rule was already over, the crown being passed from him to his son.

"Særs!" A hand fell on his shoulder and he woke in a start. "Siniksun, we sind rædæn. Kát zoildáju we machæt?" Sviendorog's eyes focused on Sabe, the captain of his personal guard. He was a chiseled Lett, no more than twenty five and the son of an important noble. But his skills were significant, especially as a spy master. His guard all wore Burgundy to set them apart from his father's. Above them flew a massive banner in Sviendorog's colors. Sabe opened his mouth to repeat himself, but the prince held his hand up.

SviendorogBanner.png

Sviendorog's banner.

"We march on Azov. Take as much intact as possible. No damage to the civilians, I think we all saw enough blood in Opole." Sabe saluted and carried the order around. He returned to his commander's side.

"Do you think it will work?"

"It shall be a long winter, Sabe. But we can last it as long as we stay in the cities." Sviendorog's plan for a two-staged war took into account the long, cold winter.

"We'll follow you into that frozen hell and back, prince."

"Hopefully... I don't lead us to hell."

May 3rd, 1174

Outside of Donetsk the Chief of the Cuman stood before the Prince of Prussia under a tent in the fields of Russia. The Chief held his head high with pride and dignity. He did not try to act as if he was superior, instead he seemed to respect Sviendorog greatly. As the Chief entered, Sviendorog stood from a make-shift throne.

"Your victory is complete, masterful general," the Chief said calmly. He had rehearsed his lines the last few hours, he had to remain calm. The stories of the brutality against foreign nobility from the Prussians were wide-spread. The Cuman nobility soon expected to be without heads, in fact many had come with wives and mourners. Sviendorog reached behind him, causing most of the Cumans to wince, ready for him to draw a sword.

"This is yours, a compliment of my father." He handed the Chief a rolled parchment.

"What is this?"

"A guarantee of safe passage for you and your people."

"What? You mean?"

"Yes, this is something we often offer all those who fight with honor and respect. You must only tell us where you are going and we'll escort there and make sure you are accepted." The Chief opened the parchment and saw Gunvald's signature and seal.

"This is not something we expected. How many of us are protected?"

"As many as you can organize in the next week."

"I agree, I wish to be taken to the borders of Persia."

"We'll have the contacted." Sviendorog said. The Chief bowed and bowed on his way out. Sabe smiled to Sviendorog.

"You certainly enjoy this part."

"I do, they seem very relieved. It is the least I could do for them," the Prince lamented. "We have about a year to relax, Sabe."

"Your father's sudden obsession with expansion worries me."

"It worries me too. But he has always been an enigma to me."