• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
At 2 a.m, Father Petronius Falkenburg was pacing around his abode in the Monastery of the Order of St Columbo. Revitalised by a supper of a potato and cabbage soup, his mind meditated over the events of the day.

Charles Cromwell’s account of how the king had met such an untimely demise could simply not stand up to even the slightest degree of scrutiny. Why then had the palace guards reacted in the way they had and why had no questions been raised by those nobles who were known to distrust the Lord Chancellor.

This was, of course, no proof that he himself had committed the mortal sin of regicide. But there could be no doubt that King James had not died through some terrible accident. Charles Cromwell was clearly hiding some information and there were others in court who knew about this too.

The monk had long held suspicions of the man, ever since he had acquired the mantle of Lord Protector. Much of the brutish traits of his father had clearly been imbued in him from a young age. There was the manner in which he handled disagreement within the Privy Council and his ability to find alternative employment for those dissenters who remained as well as his ability to find replacement for these amongst the ranks of his own advisors.

Within his inner circle, was the hawkish Frenchman who moved under the name the Marquis de Fournier. Little was known about this man and his origins although many suspected him of being an „agent provocateur“ in the French court: a cunning and resourceful one, no doubt, judging from Cromwell‘s to the past successes in tempting France into their most recent and costly wars.

Another of Charles closer companions was the self-confessed brutish Sergeant Khan, whose name suggested some eastern origins, probably Turkish and whose cruel disposition supported such supposition. Recently promoted from the ranks to become what appeared to be Charles‘ private hit-man, the burly thick-necked Arab was suspected, around the upper echelons of court, as being responsible for dealing with the Lord Chancellor‘s less savoury business. The disappearance of certain senior army figures, ostensibly to put down rebellious natives in the colonies, was presumably „helped“ along a little by this man’s persuasive – perhaps even captivating - personality.

Indeed, Charles was not a man to be crossed by anyone, be he great or small. But the thought that he would have gone so far as to kill the King of Enlgand made the monk recoil in horror and disgust. Such a mortal sin would be beyond even the likes of Cromwell but this was the only possible conclusion that could be drawn. Whether it was Cromwell himself or one of his cronies, was not important. The king had been killed and none other than the Lord Chancellor himself had instigated such a heinous act.

But what should Falkenburg do which this knowledge. With no proof, any accusations would serve only to put himself in danger with no real prospect of any judicial inquiry while the whole Privy Council was either in the pay, or living in fear, of Sir Charles. No. He would have to act with caution. Nobody was to know of his suspicions for the time being.

Petronius was startled by a noise at the door. The monastery itself was silent but for the sound of the voices whispering frantically outside. Realising his perilous position, he searched frantically around for a possible escape route.

Seconds later, the door burst open. Two cloaked figures rushed into the darkened room, now devoid of all signs of life. The first imposter started at the sound of movement coming from the corner of the room and rushed towards it only to stumble on the monks solitary chair.

„Wait“ whispered the second. After a short moment, the room was lit up by a lamp-light to reveal and empty room and the two cloaked strangers. „Get up!“ he whispered to his fellow conspirator. „He’s not here“.

„Just a mouse“, answered the first as he got back to his feet and brushed off the dust he had acquired from his little adventure. „So what do we do now?“

„Quiet! Let me think.“ answered the other trying desperately to think of how he could now carry out his objective, cruelly thwarted by the disappearance of the monk. He had not anticipated such an early set-back but this failure highlighted the deficiencies in his plans.

„We’re going to have to tell Lord Durham of this. He’ll know what to do“. Conspirator two uncovered his head to reveal the feature of Nehemiah Penn, a distant relation of Fleet Commander William.

„Cover yourself you fool!“ rasped the second, his accent betraying his low country origins. From Nehemiah’s instant compliance, there could be no doubt who held the senior role in this scene. „If he’s not here, he can’t be far. We saw him enter the gates some five hours before and there are no other ways in or out of this monastery save for scaling the outer walls. The old monk could not possibly have overcome that obstacle. He is still here somewhere.“

The Hollander was right about many things but the monk would have surprised him on this final point. At that very moment, he was clinging desperately to the walls by the side of the small window through which he had clambered to evade the two intruders. Some twenty feet below him lay the stone courtyard. Battling to maintain his grip he listened further to the discourse in his room.

„Well we can’t go around the place looking for him“, proffered Penn, „The whole place will be awake and Lord Durham expressly told us that no-one should see us.“

„Of course not“, retorted De Witt – for that indeed was his name – „But he shall return here ere long and then we shall do what we have come to do. But just in case he is outside, you shall take word to our accomplices outside in the woods to keep a sharp eye for the monk in case he makes to exit that way. Then you are to return here. We cannot leave this night without the monk for I fear that our enemies are already making moves against us“

„Of what use is the monk to us anyway?“ asked Penn. „What is it to us if some lone spiritual man is silenced by our Lord Chancellor?“

„I have my own thoughts on that matter but you would have to ask Durham about that“ said De Witt. „For now, we are to follow our instructions. Now go!“

Before Nehemiah could reach the door, both men stopped short and a sound coming from the window. „Help!“ came the faint whisper again. De Witt rushed to the window only in time to see a shadowy figure drop swiftly to the ground below.

„Quick! To the courtyard! It’s the monk!“. The two men were out of the room and down in the courtyrd seconds later.

„Is he dead?“ asked Penn, as De Witt, looked more closely as the motionless figure.

„I don’t know“, responded the Dutchman „But we’ve no time to wait now. Help me get him up“

Having thrown the old monk over his shoulder, De Witt made for the courtyard wall and showed immense agility, which belied his age, as he quickly scaled the twenty foot barrier.

Ten minutes later, the monk was carried off, still senseless, in the old merchants cart that had been waiting outside. De Witt and Penn remained at the scene until the wagon and its burden had disappeared. They then proceeded to a small grove where their horses were waiting restlessly. Untethering the steeds they quickly mounted them and set off in the opposite direction.

De Witt stopped at the top of the hill overlooking the monastery. A large burly figure was moving rapidly along the outskirts of the wall. De Witt was in no doubt that they had been seen. But this unknown stranger did not raise the alarm?. There could be only one reason for this and by the morning, others would know about the events of the evening.

He turned his horse and galloped towards Penn. „All haste“ he said. „We must make York by sunrise“

Too bad I don't know enough english real history to connect these two characters to anything:D .
The name De Witt rings a bell somewhere but what : wasn't he involved in some conspiracy ?
And the only Penn of historical stature I remember is the one left his name to the state of Pennsylvania (William, a religious figure wasn't he ?).

I recall meeting a Penn during my days at Cambridge some years ago. A bit of a character and one for those student pranks. I remember once a story about him setting fire to the boat house but only received a mild ticking off from the College Dean who was a close acquaintance of his fathers.

It doesn't surprise me that he still getting up to mischief. I had my doubts that he would ever change his knavish behaviour. But I'm sure it's all just a bit of a lark even if the monk is a bit peeved off about the whole thing. I'll get the Honourable Lord Durham to have a quick word with his father, the English Admiral, and try to get them to return the old man.

As for De Witt, I recall hearing the name once. Isn't he a Dutch sea captain? That would certainly explain how the two younger lads got to know each other. I'll check this one out.

I don't think we need to tell the Lord Chancellor. We'll have the whole thing sorted out and that he doesn't need to worry about the incident.

The royal residence. The King's private chambers. Late at night.

Footman: He is here, your Majesty.

Enter a battlescarred, cloaked figure, a heavy sabre at his side.

William of Orange, King of England: Sir. This will require an explanation. We would never have received you, had it not been for the excellent and close friendship that connected you to the late Protector Lord Cromwell, one of our great heros, and an inspiration for us in the field and in the council chamber. We are inclined to indulge your request for anomymity, but what shall we call you?

Flowermeadow: Your Majesty, I thank you. Call me Ser... ah, Lieutenant Flowermeadow. I will be brief. My purpose is to warn you against Charles W. Cromwell, your chief counselor and leader of the Privy Council. He is mad, quite mad.

WoO: Surely you cannot be serious?

FM: I regret to say that I am: I undertook a long sea voyage to bring you this intelligence. There may be more truth to the rumors rampant in the court that the young Cromwell was not quite as unconnected to your predecessor's death as he claimed. But be that as it may. This I know for certain: he has taken measures to neutralize a monk, by the name of Falconbird (or so) who suspected foul play. The planned attempt on the monk, to be carried out by two foreigners with secret connections, seems to have been unexpectedly forestalled by the intervention of a third faction at court whose motives are not clear to me or my contacts among the nobility. I could not ascertain the whereabouts of Falconbird, but perhaps he has been taken north.

WoO: Mais qu'est-ce que vous me dites, Monsieur?

FM: Seulement ca: Beware! Do not receive Cromwell alone! Take charge of our great Empire's fortunes lest it fall with the machinations of a madman and a bastard.

WoO: A bastard?

FM: Yes, your Majesty. In his last letter, the late Lord Cromwell unburdened his soul to me. His wife who had just died a short while before had confessed on her deathbed that Charles was not Lord Cromwell's son, but the result of an adulterous liason with a French dancing-master at court while the Lord Protector was away in Italy, fighting for the crown. Do you wonder at his strange temprament now, your Majesty? The brutish, impetuous and simple disposition? This is unknown at court, although the Earl of Vimy suspects...

WoO: Quick, there, bring me some port-wine!

Last edited:
Somewhere on the continent…

A letter to Bloomfield, from the Earl of Vimy:

It is my sincere hope that this letter finds you in continued good health and that you are finding your time at the Court of St. James to be illuminating. I trust that you have been following the exploits of our new King with relish, and that dispatches between your good person and our Lord Protector Cromwell continue to flourish unabated. I have decided, but recently, to take some time away from England, although I shall continue to follow her exploits on the world stage with unabashed enthusiasm. Is this not truly a glorious age to be living in? I have even heard it said both by those who support our cause and those who are envious of it that the sun never sets on the English Empire although, to be sure, I am not entirely sure how one can make such a claim.

You are no doubt wondering why I’ve decided to absent myself from the good graces of our monarch and his advisory council, and I shall tell you – in confidence. I must confess that I have found the air at court to be, how shall I put this, ….poisonous… in recent times. You are no doubt aware that there are vile and vicious rumours afoot that cast aspersions on the very personage of our esteemed leader, the Lord Cromwell, and his supposed involvement in a plot so foul and twisted that I dare not speak of it in too much detail, lest this letter be intercepted. I am sure, good sir, that you know full well of what I speak. I must confess to having my suspicions about England’s sudden good fortune to have enthroned such an esteemed lion of a man as William of Orange. Do not misunderstand me sir, I feel fortunate that we have such greatness sitting on our throne. What I question are the methods that may have been used to ensconce him there.

Recently, an individual of little importance and such a low profile as to be indistinguishable from the backdrop against which he stands informed me of a meeting between our King and a strange visitor. Flowermeadow, I think his name was. On odd name, that. I was rather hoping that you might be able to shed some light on the origins of the name as it is constructed so similarly to your own: a lost cousin perhaps? Anyhow, this Flowermeadow fellow was apparently besmirching the name of our Lord Protector and even suggested that Cromwell might be quite mad! Imagine the temerity of the man! This clandestine encounter, or at least the reported version of it that was delivered to me, prompted me to think that a net might be closing around those fish who have grown too contented at court and that a battle of wills is underway that must in the end see England choose one of two paths…if you get my meaning. So, I decided to let prudence rule the day, and have absented myself from England until this unholy affair sorts itself out. If you know of what I speak, I would urge you to do the same. I fear that there are those in our midst who are against us, and we must constantly be vigilant lest we meet with an unfortunate end.

Sir, I shall be blunt. It is well known that Charlie is unhappy with you these days and it is even said that he has challenged your person to a duel… Do not let this come to pass, for you shall not be able to find any allies – no matter what lofty position they may hold – who will be able to save you. Put simply, he sits astride the world like a Colossus and no man, or king, will ever displace him. Take a care for you life, and if you ever run across this Flowermeadow fellow, please let him know in no uncertain terms that should he drag me into this clash of titans I have already chosen my side and am prepared to defend myself by whatever means are necessary. Remember, there are spies everywhere. I look forward to our next correspondence, should we still be here.

I bid you good day, sir –

Vimy.

The disappearing Monk ?

As directed by his Lord and Master, Charles Cromwell, Khan travelled as soon as he was able (bearing in mind of the wholesale slaughter going on with the wars on the Continent - work he enjoyed in a benign way) to the bleak and some would say foreboding Monestary.

The monk (Petronius Falkenburg), was delving into matters that were far too important for such a lowly figure to contemplate yet intervene. Khan had plans for this upstart, and had no qualms about carrying them out, be they against a man of the cloth.

Arriving at the monestary in the early hours of the morning (1.45am to be exact), Khan was deliberating on how to gain entrance.
Footsteps sounded from inside the monestary, coming towards the door, whose lock Khan was currently trying to pick.
Moving behind a pillar, Khan waited to see if he was going to be fortunate, indeed he was, with a groan the door was opened and into the light spilling into the courtyard, and elderly monk came into view.
Like a striking cobra, Khan moved, crossing the space between him and the monk in less than a heartbeat.
Clamping a hand over the monks mouth, Khan's arms encircled his neck. Muscles bulging, he slowly began to squeeze. The sheer brute strength, and physical size of the man, meant the monk was lifted clean off his feet.
"What is it you know" Khan said in voice dripping with menace.
"Nothing, I swear on the Holy Mother,nothing" croaked the monk,barely able to speak.
With a sickening crack, the neck of the unfortunate holy father snapped in two. Khan dropped the body slowly to the floor. Bowed and stooped in life, the figure was even more pathetic in death. Khan was gleeful. A job well done.....
Lifting the monks cowl, Khan was astonished to see that this was NOT Falkenburg, but another. "Damn", scowling ferociously Khan moved into the cloister.

Low voices of a slight foreign inflection carried in the stillness. Stealthfully, belying a grace for someone of his size, Khan moved towards the room from which they came. Stopping at the slightly ajar door, Khan overheard someone say "We’re going to have to tell Lord Durham of this. He’ll know what to do".
Shocked to hear this, Khan decided this information was too good to pass up. The monk could wait, Lord Cromwell would be more than interested to hear this.

Shouts of help from the courtyard interrupted his train of thought. Quickly he rushed to the door. Too late, two shadowy figures could be seen loading a prostrate body into a waiting cart.

Regret at failing his Lord, but with a strange sense of Joy at sending another "victim" to the other plane,Khan moved out of the now silent monestary and headed to the small copse of trees where his horse was hidden. the road to London was clear, and Cromwell needed to be informed of this evening events........

By horse courier--

To the Earl of Vimy, K.G.

My Lordship:

I beg your indulgence for the late reply to your letter, it was late in reaching me in New England, as it was wrongly addressed to me at the Court of St. James. I have not been fortunate enough to set foot on English soil for years.

I also regret to have to disappoint your Lordship in the matter of one Flowermeadow whom you were kind enough to mention in your letter. He is no acquaintance and certainly no relation of mine. You are, however, right in counseling prudence in this time and I have taken the meaning of your letter. But I but deprecate the lack of a chance for a personal exchange to discuss certain ... information regarding the colossus who squeezes the globe between his thighs and a course of action that may properly be laid out to follow from it.

Circumstance prevents me from writing more plainly, but I have reason to place my hopes in the most excellent person of our King, who may have recently gained a clearer understanding of certain points concering the rulership in the English Empire. Duty may call on a true patriot in more ways than one, and to him who forsakes the path of Right and the Laws of our Most Holy God, no fealty is owed.

Not all problems facing England today may be solved by a prolonged vacation in Switzerland.

Your ever humble and obedient servant,

Sgt. E.T. Bloomfield, R.C.

P.S. No news has been received about that certain monk, Falconbird. B.

Last edited:
York

Penn and De Witt walked the long corridor in the dead of night. Torches spaced along the time-beaten walls cast dancing shadows that followed the men as they approached their destination. Each lost in thought; the only sounds were heavy boots on stone and the occasional jangle of sabres and pistols.

As they approached the solid oak door their confident stride slowed to a halt.

They barely had a chance to settle into their rooms upon reaching York. The monk had regained consciousness during the journey but remained quiet the entire time, excepting for the odd moan when the cart he was lying in hit a particularly nasty bump. Penn figured the guy had broken an ankle in the fall from his window. At one point he ordered a halt and bound the monk?s ankle securely. Still the man said nothing.

"Oh well," thought De Witt, "our orders were to take him to York". Mr.White said nothing about the condition of the guy.

Their arrival was a different story. No sooner had the cart come to a stop inside the side gate then several men slipped from the shadows and quickly made off with the monk. Penn and De Witt looked at each other.

"What was that all about?" Penn asked.

De Witt could only shrug. "These last few days have been passing strange, ever since that servant gave you the message from Mr.White to get this guy."

"Aye," Penn replied. "Midnight politics is not for me. Why, the servant barely got part of the message spoke before we were in danger of discovery. I had to piece together his intent."

De Witt went cold. He fixed Penn with a glare that many enemies had come to fear. "You what? The message was not exact?"

Penn looked away, muttered "Not entirely, no."

Their conversation was cut short when a Master-at-Arms approached them. "You two De Witt and Penn? You bring in the monk?"

De Witt barely had time to nod before the soldier barked, "My Lord will see you now!" The Master-at-Arms turned and walked towards a looming building. Instinctively the two knew they should follow. He led them up stairs and down corridors until reaching the long hallway. "Go to that door and knock. He expects you."

So they stood before the imposing door. With the slightest hesitation De Witt hammered once on the solid oak with the butt of his gun.

"Enter!" The voice was deep, loud, used to command.

De Witt and Penn entered the room to face a person that De Witt had until now only seen from afar. De Witt blanched. Suddenly he felt uncomfortably over his head. This was obviously high stakes.

He removed his hat and bowed sharply, "My Lord." Penn followed a moment later, though he was not quite sure who he was honouring.

"De Witt! Your man stares like a jack-a-napes. Perhaps introductions are in order."

De Witt was fast to regain his composure. "This... this is Nehemiah Penn, my Lord." De Witt indicated the imposing man. "And this is Lord Dur..."

"White." a voice sounded from a dark recess in the study. A man came out from the shadows, hobbling on a makeshift crutch.

"You!" was all De Witt could say.

Penn was more articulate. "Huh?"

Petronius Falkenberg shuffled over to the a large plush chair and gingerly set himself into it. He stared at the two men, then scratched his head. "You should refer to your Lord as Mister White. If you are captured, he is Mr. White. If you are tortured, he is Mr. White." He sat back in obvious discomfort.

Lord Durham regarded the two men for several long seconds. This man Penn was a follower, a pranskter and trickster no doubt. But De Witt. Durham saw intelligence behind those eyes. "Whose idea was it to break into Falkenberg's room? The message said specifically to spirit the man away, not kill him!"

Penn looked to the floor. He wished he was anywhere else.

De Witt spoke up, "The message was garbled, Lord... Mr.White. There were guards about." He gained confidence as he spoke. "Guard activity was very high considering the King's unfortunate accident."

Lord Durham exploded, "Accident! Accident! You call regicide an accident? My God man, this is England! England! This is not some heathen watering hole! This country does not brook kingmakers! Blasphemy!"

There was a long silence as Lord Durham glared at the two men. Eventually his features softened. He moved over to a table and poured two goblets of wine, offering one to Falkenberg. He curtly nodded at De Witt and Penn to help themselves.

"These are extraordinary times," Lord Durham said. "It calls for extraordinary people. This Chancellor plays with fire, and the English people will not stand for it! There is a ground swell of opposition, larger than you can imagine, but it must remain clandestine for now. Hence, we use 'fake monikers'. All of us."

Lord Durham set down the goblet and walked to a window. He paused for a moment, lost in thought, then turned to the men. "De Witt. You strike me as intelligent and pragmatic. We could use you, and" he waved a casual hand, "Penn too." He motioned to the door. "Think on it. Now leave us"

When the two men had left and the door was secure Lord Durham turned to the bedraggled looking monk. 'Bedraggled looking, hah!' Lord Durham thought to himself. He lost count of the number of men who had underestimated this slight man in the perenially crumpled robe.

"What do you think Petronius? Are they with us?"

The monk scratched his head. "Hard to say. What the one decides, the other will follow. But watch the follower, for he's the weak link. Otherwise, I suppose it's up to them..."

Last edited:
Nearly midnight, and in an imposing house on the fashionable side of the City of London, a corpulent man in late middle age was asleep with his head on his desk. On the desk stood a half-finished letter and an empty bottle of vodka. The man was snoring gently.

There was a gentle knock at the door, and another man of about twenty entered. He paused when he saw the older man asleep, tiptoed out of the room, and knocked again - louder this time.

The sleeper jerked upright and, with one movement, he picked up his quill and posed alertly, as if in the middle of composing a bon mot. "Enter!" he said, sternly. The young man came in again. "What is it, Rzendzian?", said the older man, not looking round. "can't you see I'm working?".

"I am sorry for disturbing you, Pan Zagloba," said Rzendzian, with a quiet smile, "but there is a gentleman to see you."

Zagloba stared at the clock, which slowly came into focus. He glanced out of the window - it was still night. "At ten to midnight?" he said, "what the hell is he doing here now?"

"He wouldn't tell me," said Rzendzian, "but he said it was of the utmost urgency."

Zagloba grunted. "Well," he said, "I suppose there's no harm in it. Give me a couple of minutes to finish this letter, then bring me a flagon of old mead, two glasses, and our visitor."

Rzendzian left. Zagloba looked down at his unfinished letter, and noted with slight distaste that he had dribbled on it while asleep. He crumpled it up and threw it into the fire. Getting up, and stretching, he trudged over to the armchair that stood in the corner.

Onufry Zagloba, Ambassador of the Commonwealth of the Three Kingdoms to the Court of St. James's, stood about six feet tall, and about the same broad. He was red of face, and had a collection of frightening scars on his face and hands. He was the archetypal product of that strange country, Poland-Lithuania, where every nobleman was the equal of every other, where the most democratic constitution in Europe produced constant violent arguments, and where every member of the noble class could drink any foreigner under the table.

Zagloba sat down heavily, and was just starting to nod when Rzendzian showed his guest into the room. The fat knight looked at his visitor. The visitor had a sharp, aquiline face, and was very tall for the times - perhaps six feet two inches. He was wearing the black habit of a monastic order, and moved with extreme precision. Zagloba invited him to sit, and he perched gingerly on the edge of a chair. There was a moment's silence, then Rzendzian re-entered with a large flagon of mead, and two goblets, which he banged down on the table.

"Would you care for a drink, Sir?" said Zagloba, indicating the goblets.

"Thank you, but my vows... You understand..." said the visitor.

"Of course," said Zagloba, "but you will not mind if I..."

"No, not at all."

Zagloba poured himself a generous measure, downed it in one, poured another, and turned his attention back to the monk.

"I don't think we've met, Sir," he began.

"No," said the other, matter-of-factly. "Let me introduce myself. I am Abbot Thomas Aquinas Holmes, of the holy order of St. Columbo. I am here because I believe you know one of our Brothers, Brother Falconburgh."

"Falkenberg? I do. He was here just the other day, taking a glass of - ah - tea with me."

"Quite. But now he has disappeared, and I have come to ask you for your help."

"He's disappeared? When?"

"Just this past evening, Mr. Zagloba," said Holmes. "When we went at six to rouse him for mattins - with stern chastisement of his sloth on our lips - we found him gone. And what is more, Brother Holy Wisdom Poirot was found during the night, with his neck broken, outside the gatehouse."

Zagloba puffed out his cheeks, and exhaled. "Well, my dear Holmes, that sounds like a bit of trouble for you, if you don't mind me saying. But you've come to the right man - I'm quite famous back home for my feats of intellect. Indeed, the King himself often comes to me for advice, and when he goes away, he says to his friends 'If I had enough Zaglobas for a Seym, the Commonwealth would be as powerful as England'. But there's only one of me, and as I'm on your side your problem's as good as solved. Now tell me everything you know."

"Well, what I know is this. Our order, as you are probably aware, attempts to save men's souls by discovering the truth behind their evil deeds, and allowing them the opportunity to repent of them before the sword of justice falls. Brother Falconburgh was one of our most able investigators. In recent weeks, he had been working for the Westminster Coroner, attempting to piece together the last moments of the late King James. We found some notes in his room, mentioning that he had been to see you, and the Lord Chancellor Cromwell. The most recent piece of paper had written on it 'Khan, loyalty, scapegoat.' The window was open, and one of the novices reported hearing a wagon outside in the early hours of the morning. There are marks near the gate, where three horses have stood during the night, and no others. That is what I know."

"Hmm," said Zagloba, "I don't suppose anything's missing, is it? Perhaps he interrupted a robbery. That would explain the wagon and the dead gatekeeper."

"We have taken a vow of poverty, Mr Zagloba," said Abbot Holmes, "there is nothing worth stealing outside the chapel, and that has not been touched."

"Very strange." Zagloba sat in thought for a moment or two, then said, "Well, Abbot, you've got me on your side. And tomorrow morning first thing, I'll go up to Court, and see what I can find out."

"An admirable plan, Mr Zagloba. God will bless your holy work. I will send you a novice, who will help you and keep in touch with me, in case there is further news. I shall ask Novice Lewis to meet you here tomorrow morning at eight a.m."

Zagloba blanched slightly. "Eight a.m. it is, then!" They shook hands, and the abbot left.

"Rzendzian!" called Zagloba. The manservant put his head round the door. "Yes, master?"

"Tomorrow morning, I'm going to the court at eight a.m. And dress smartly, you're coming with me."

"Very good, Pan Zagloba," said Rzendzian, and shut the door behind him. Zagloba turned back to the flagon of mead.

Last edited:
Sophia Bloomfield, New York, New England

Dearest Sophia,

I write to you in haste as events are developing quickly here. Some of the nobility close to Privy Council and C.C. have skipped the country. I have been away too long to understand all the motives that are at work here, but it is clear that a renegade Frenchman, the Church or at least some obscure order, and even the Polish are involved. So far my presence at court is unknown although I may not have been careful enough in choosing my cover.

My concern is whether I should confront C.C. head-on, or whether I should continue to undermine his position with the King and nobility. I have not found anyone here determined and brave enough to move directly against him: his deportations and thugs are feared. Perhaps I can find a daring soul to pose as footman and thus gain access...

I may not be able to write for a while, as I am staying no more than a few nights in one place. How I wish I could be rid of this damn sabre, it is a nuisance and so unwieldy and I keep tripping on it---but I may need it yet.

Love, and kiss the nippers for me,
Elliot

Last edited:
Onufry Zagloba, Ambassador of the Commonwealth of the Three Kingdoms, greetings.

I write this on behalf of a close friend of ours, a certain Mr.Falkenberg. No doubt stories have reached you regarding recent events concerning Mr.Falkenberg and an attempt on his life. I would like to reassure you that Mr.Falkenberg is safe with me, none the worse for wear excepting a sprained ankle. He shall lay low for a bit until his mobility has improved. I have been told that Mr.Falkenberg has a, how did he put it? A guardian angel. You will know this monk if you meet him. He is built like an oak tree, or so I am told. Trust him implicitly.

Pan Zagloba, there are plots within plots within plots at work here. I think all players are sounding each other out at the moment, but I truly believe the lines will be drawn 'ere long. I understand this is not your fight, but I anticipate you understand the political complexities of these times.

There are many of us, of that you can be assured. If you have any need to contact us, light three candles in your study window. Someone will be there.

As you can see, this message would be totally indecipherable if it had fallen into enemy hands. Mr.Falkenberg has assured me only you, the Order and a few select others know the code. In any event, if you could please dispose of this when you have finished.

Until then, I remain faithfully yours,

LD

Morning had broken loudly in Onufry Zagloba's head. As he sat up in bed, perusing the latest bulletins from Warsaw, and putting himself outside a large plate of eggs and bacon, he thought back to Abbot Holmes's visit the night before.

"Disappeared? Must have been kidnapped. Or disappeared of his own accord, I suppose," he muttered.

He dressed, and at eight o'clock exactly, a fresh-faced young novice presented himself at the door. The monk bowed, and said - in an accent Zagloba did not recognise - "Novice Lewis at your service, Sir."

Zagloba looked at him. "I think you're a little conspicuous in a habit, Lewis," he said. "Rzendzian will lend you a set of clothes. Once you've changed, we'll set off." They passed a messenger at the end of the street, heading towards the Embassy.

Together with Rzendzian, they strolled towards the court at St. James's. As they walked, Zagloba described the conversation he had had with the Abbot the night before. "Now here's what we have to do," he concluded as they arrived. "I'll see whether I can get to see Cromwell or that thug Khan he's so fond of. I'll pretend to have some communication from Warsaw for them. Mean time, you two go down to the servants' quarters, and find out as much as you can - whether anything odd has happened over the past couple of nights. I'll send for you in the normal way, but I'll try and give you a bit of time.

Rzendzian and Lewis disappeared to the servants' quarters, while Pan Zagloba walked up the magnificent staircase to the Lord Chancellor's Office. He stopped a footman on his way out of the reception room. "Hey, is the Lord Chancellor at home?"

"No, m'lord," said the footman. "He's not to be disturbed."

"Hmm," said Zagloba, "I have an important message for him from the Seym in Warsaw. I have been specifically instructed to give him it myself. Is there any chance of seeing him at all?"

"Wouldn't have thought so, Sir," said the footman, "but Mr Khan might be available. Let me go and see for you."

A moment later he returned, and showed Pan Zagloba into Khan's offices. They were sparsely furnished, three hard chairs and a desk. The only decoration was a commendation for bravery in the line of battle, signed by Old Cromwell, which hung in pride of place over the fireplace.

Khan, normally a man of violent energy, looked drained and tired, Zagloba noted. He looked crossly at Zagloba, and said "Well?"

"Good morning, Mr Khan," said Zagloba. "I hope that this fine morning" - he gestured towards the window - "finds you well. I must say that this is one of my favourite times of year, particularly in your fine city of London. Some may say that London is dreary and grey, and does not have as much to recommend it as, for example, Massaglia or Rome or any of England's Italian possessions. I however, could not agree less. I think the..."

"What do you want, Zagloba?" growled Khan. The fat knight stopped in mid-oration, taken aback by the ferocity of Khan's tone. He was sure now that Khan was disturbed, and had not been sleeping.

"Well, as you come so briefly to the point," Zagloba said pleasantly, "I have a letter here from the Seym in Warsaw, which I have been asked to read to you."

Khan waved at the desk. "Leave it there, I'll read it in due course."

"I have specific instructions to read it to you, Mr Khan," said Zagloba. Clearing his throat, he began to read a letter he had composed over breakfast.

"From the Marshal of the Seym, Castellan of Sandomierz, Brabantiusz Zamojski, to his noble brother Onufry Zagloba, ambassador of the Most Serene Commonwealth of the Three Kingdoms, the Polish, the Lithuanian and the Hungarian, to the Court of St. James's, greetings!

In nomine patris, et filii, et spritus sancti, amen. To all whom these presents shall come, the most honourable and puissant Seym of the Most Serene Commonwealth of the Three Kingdoms, the Polish, the Lithuanian, and the Hungarian, sends greetings."

Khan shifted angrily in his seat as the wave of formal titles rolled over him. Zagloba read on.

"Be it decreed by the power and authority of the Seym of the Commonwealth in Warsaw assembled, in this year when Brabantiusz Zamojski was Marshal, and be it signed and approved accordingly, as follows:

"Our ambassador in England shall pass the following message to the Lord Chancellor of England, Lord Cromwell the Younger, or to a designated deputy."

Zagloba continued reading his verbose conversation, watching the rage boil up in Khan's eyes. He was confident that Khan, at least, would respect his status as an ambassador. He was not so sure about Cromwell. Some twenty minutes of diplomatic waffle later, Khan's face was reddening markedly. Zagloba reached the end of the fake letter, and the key paragraph.

"And finally," he read, "we are most disturbed to hear that vile slanders are being spread in the Kingdom of England that his late lamented Britannic Majesty James secundus did not meet his death by any natural means. We encourage all men of good will in England to root out the source of such vile rumour and treachery, and pray to God that your efforts so to do may be successful. Given at Warsaw on the day superscribed, under the Great Seal of the Seym and the hand of Brabantiusz Zamojski, Marshal."

Zagloba had watched Khan closely as he read the final paragraph. When he had mentioned the rumours, Khan - who had slumped into a resigned heap in his chair - had jerked perceptibly. When Zagloba finished, Khan said sharply, "Give me that!" and wrenched the letter from Zagloba's hand.

Pan Zagloba was not an educated man, but he was an accomplished trickster. The false seals he kept handy for just such an occasion looked exactly like the real thing, and he had profitably forged the signature of his old friend Zamojski on many occasions during his diplomatic work. There was no chance that Khan would discover the forgery without sending a messenger to Warsaw, which would take at least a fortnight.

"Leave this with me, and close the door on your way out," said Khan shortly, and turned his back on him. Ignoring the insult, Zagloba left, and hesitated at the top of the staircase. Would Lewis and Rzendzian need more time?

He headed down the stairs, but instead of moving towards the front gate, he walked down to the park behind the palace, and stood on the terrace looking out. A voice over his shoulder said "A pleasant view, is it not?"

Last edited:
The Letter ?

Khan was disturbed, the letter was obviously a forgery. Onufry Zagloba, like most other's in the English court thought him a brutish thug. In fact behind the swarthy, battle scarred face was a mind as sharp as the point on his trusty sword. He enjoyed carrying out the facade, as it did give him a certain amount of freedom to think, especially when people were cowered into submission in his presence by a look or on the strength of his reputation.

The letter, who was behind it ? he thought.
Poland even though an ally in times of war, in Khan's opinion could not be trusted. It wouldn't be too much of a surprise if they were secretly courting the French King again, mayber Fournier would be able to dig around and shed some light on the subject. Khan made a not to talk to him as soon as Fournier returned.

Then of course there was the kidnapping of the monk, the shadowy figures involved, and of course the name he had overheard - Durham. What was his involvement in all of this ? Were there any other's ?
With the obvious religous connections, coupled with the fact the "Rome" was now in fact in Canterbury, weighed heavily. Papal fifth columnists perhaps ?
Khan didn't think so, the power of the Pope had long ago diminished. Cromwell was the light that everyone now bathed in. As long as he stayed in the light, Khan would be there at his shoulder, keeping the darkness away.

After the somewhat humiliating "invasion" of Ireland by the Brandenburgers, and the subsequent spate of revolts that had sprung out over the Empire, could there be a movement developing against Lord Cromwell ?
Both York & Malborough had committed themselves well in Europe, Radisson ( a kindred spirit), was gleefully hacking to death any native's his army came across in the colonies.

In New England things were quiet, Khan hadn't heard much from anyone, apart from the news of the ever expanding colonies & cities.
It might be prudent to try and communicate with Stuyvesant, the recently appointed Governer of English Manhattan. However, distrusting sending anything to that far off place by letter, Khan decided it would be better to see him face to face. He would talk to his Lord in morning, and see if he could be persuaded.

In the meantime, sleep would be the best thing. He always found he thought clearer after 2 things - sleep(naturally) and the feeling you got from taking another's life with your bare hands. A feeling he had only recently experienced.........

Last edited:
Footman Rictus lounged against the hardwood, barracks door. He loathed sentry duty, hours of standing there on end with nothing to do except watch men pace and forth in front of him. Large, Polish men, or slight but well dressed Italians, even the occasional Frenchman made an apperance.
The ladies were something far easier to gaze at, but he wasn't paid to lech, so, often he tried not to.
What he needed in life was a bit of adventure, spy work or something, but he knew what he didn't want: Army or colonist work, he heard people died by the score out there and that was generally considered quite bad for your health.
Oh, for a little bit of intrigue.

"A pleasant view, is it not?"

Ambassador Zagloba was startled but fought hard not to show it.

"Milord the Marquis de Forunier. What brings you here?"

"To the park? Why, as I have already said, the pleasant-ness of the view."

Zagloba waited, playing the politicians' game. He did not have long to wait.

"Of course," the Frenchman behan, almost heasitantly, "there have been some less pleasant views to be hed recently. Distinctly un-pleasant views, in some cases."

"Nasty." Zagloba agreed.

"Almost... shocking." Fournier ventured. There was a gravid pause. "I believe you to be a man of honour, Ambassador." Zagloba inclined his head politely at the comment. "I too, despite my reduced circumstances, consider myself to be a man of... honour."

Another pause. This time the Frenchman did not seem to be about to continue.

"Then perhaps," ventured Zagloba, "A way might be found for your course to be more... honourably steered?" A small sigh escaped Fournier's lips.

"Indeed. That would be most... desirous."

Zagloba turned then, and looked straight into Fournier's eyes. A man trapped by circumstance into a course of action he did not wish to carry out? Or a serpent setting a deadly trap for the unwary?

"I shall be in touch, Msr, Fournier, to dicuss matters of... mutual interest."

The Frenchman bowed low and politely before turning away and making his way back inside, leaving the Polish Ambassador to continue to enjoy the view. Most, most pleasant indeed...

"Rictus!"

The footman leapt to his feet, sending his stool clattering to the floor. Not asleep! No, not asleep. Just resting his eyes. Then he remembered. A summons! Lord Cromwell! He ran to the door to the Lord Chamberlain's private study. He knocked. He waited.

"In!"

The Lord Cromwell was seated at his desk, immaculate in starched white shirt and lace cravat despite the lateness of the hour.

"Ah, Rictus. Come in, shut the door." The wooden clack sounded like the setting of a bear trap, but Rictus tried to put it out of his mind.

"Y-yes, Milord?"

"Here. Take this." Cromwell handed a folded and sealed parchment to his footman, dropped it to the floor just as Rictus' fingers were about to close on it, forcing him to stoop and pick it up. Just the Lord Chaberlain's little game...

"It is to be taken to His Holiness, Cardinal Jeffries in Canterbury. There are very specific instructions within that I will expect to have been acted upon before morning. Go."

Rictus bobbed a bow. To Canterbury? By morning? Only six hours. He would need a coach, no a fast horse. A coat, for the nights were bitter, money...

"Rictus?"

"Yes M'lord?"

"Why in the name of God's sweet heaven are you still here?"

In his haste to leave, Rictus tripped on the corner of the rug, sprawling flat on his face, dislodging several sheets of paper from a nearby table. They fluttered down around him lioke autumn leaves. He clearly heard the oh, so disappointed sigh from behind and his face flamed red.

"And Rictus..?"

"Y-yes?"

"Don't let the door hit your bumpkin backside on the way out."

Cromwell waited until the footman had gone, mumbling and bumbling apologies like spilt water. The man was a fool, but stupidly loyal.

He pressed long, thin fingers to his temples, rubbing, rubbing, rubbing at the headache that threatened to split his skull in two. How dare they. How dare they plot against him. Did they not realise who they were dealing with? He was his father's son. Second son, admittedly, always the hand-me-down, always the afterthought, but still, had he not risen above that? Had he not proven himself? Had he not conquered the Netherlands, re-yaken Tunisia, expanded England's holdings beyond the wildest dreams of any English Kings before?

And now that damned upstart colonial, Bloomfield (Flowermeadow! Did the fool think that he, Cromwell, was similarly short of mental faculty), had even gone so far as to seek audience with the King. The King! And accuse England's most, most loyal Lord Chancellor of such perfidy. Slander! Lies! Treason most High!

Well he, Cromwell, would not stand for it! Khan would be sent into hiding for a while, lest the meddling Zagloba and that impertinent monk seek to use the man's loyalty against him. And as for the Order of Saint Columbo, well the Holy Father in Canterbury would surely be shocked to hear that Puritans had infiltrated the ranks of this ancient and venerable order. Heresy such as theirs could not, would not be tolerated. It was a long time since the Inquisition set foot on English shores, but maybe it was indeed high time for God's cleanising fire to once more save the souls of those lead into temptation and damnation by the evils of such anti-Christian teachings.

Yes, a reckoning would swiftly come, and soon. Then, my father, Cromwell thought as he gazed up at the portrait fo the great man that stared sternly and imperiously down on his son from the opposite wall of the study, then you will see what a fine, fine man I am, when my enemies lie crushed and bleeding before me, their hearts ripped form their chest and pulverized beneath my heel, their eyes torn from their sockets and fed to my dogs, their genitals...

No. Stop. Seek calm. Breathe deeply. Cromwell sank back into his chair, fighting for inner serenity. Sleep, that was what he needed. The sweet release of cool, blessed sleep...

Yes, well, maybe tomorrow he would ask Nalivayko for a stronger sleeping draught, although obviously not the same one he had planned for Father Petronius, although what he'd really like to do would be to get his hands on that scrawny little bastard's neck and squeeze, and squeeze, and squeeze, and...

Last edited:
Bloody Fantastic !

Guys

To everyone who is contributing - fantastic
To the moderators - please don't move or close this. It is so pertinant to Ariel's AAR.

To the watching public - next instalment due soon.

Cheers

Dear All,

This is absolutely brilliant stuff, and I would like to echo Lord Durham's sentiment in the main thread that I am deeply touched that you've all felt the urge to get so proactively involved in the telling of the story [sniff] you guys... [/sniff].

Here's the thing. If I update the main AAR now then the action is going to move on several years and the O'erheated Chamberpot is going to be ancient history... so here's a suggestion. Can you guys feel free to let rip for a while, but try to wind this chapter up by next Tuesday or Wednesday? The next set of narrative developments I've planned will change... well.. everything. Without giving too much away, I'm building to a climax in 1704, which is a few years hence, AAR-wise. Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law as far as I'm concerned, but please leave Cromwell alive (for obvious reasons) and the case mysteriously unsolved. That would be much appreciated from a story-telling point of view.

I'm away for some quality time with Mrs Ariel this weekend so after this lunchtime's update I won't be able to post again until Tuesday anyway, but I promise it'll be worth waiting for.

Anyone who thinks I'm being at all dictatorial about this, please feel free to say so, it's not my intention but I feel the need to introduce a bit of editorial guidance just to keep things running smoothly...

Keep up the good work, people.

Ariel.