• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(13)

Banned
Jan 12, 2000
Visit site
Part 4 1617-1635

* November 1617, whats left of Denmark (Copenhagen, Visby) formerly ceases being independent. Sweden claims these territories.

1623-1626 Bohemian-Branenburgian-Ottoman wars.

Bohemia declares war on Brandenburg (probably to recover Silesia). Not more than a few weeks later, the Ottomans get to hear of this and they take appropriate actions: declare war on Bohemia. Despite this, main Ottoman armies are slow to move into Bohemian territory and the Bohemians retake Krems, in Silesia from the Germans. They then move nw onto the capital of Brandenburg, Berlin and lay siege in June, 1624. A huge Ottoman alliance army of some 80+k men moves into Bohemia and lays siege to Pilsen. For the next 2 years, the war(s) turn into extensive sieges. The Bohemians laying siege to Berlin without success, whilst the Ottoman alliance unsuccessfully storms Pilsen on several occasions receiving serious causalties. Despite this the Brandenburgians agree to cede Silesian territory back to the Bohemians in Nov of 1625. Meanwhile the Ottomans are still unable to take Pilsen, the city resists amazingly well. Over 20,000 soldiers have been killed or injured in this battle over the 12+ month siege. In January, 1626 this leads to a status quo between the Bohemians and Turks. How the Bohemians managed that one is anyones guess :)

1623-1625 Swedish-Polish invasions of Muscovy.

In May of 1623 the Swedes invade the western provinces of Muscovy. Despite some earl successes, they are unable to capitalize on them and by early 1625, the war degenerating into smaller cavalry and infantry battles, the conflict turns into a stalemate. The Poles decide to take advantage of Muscovite weakness and generate huge armies, invading Muscovy in two areas on its western border provinces whilst deflecting Muscovite skirmishes into Polish Novgorod. Muscovites are now suffering defeat after defeat .. their envoys looking for a way out. In Aug 1625 Far Karelia is ceded to the Swedes in return for peace. Only several weeks later, the Poles demand the secession of Bogutjar and Tambow, (former Golden Horde, Kazan provinces..) which they get. Devastating war, The Muscovites are crumbling totally in the west, though they continue their expansion to the east, annexing Sibir in 1630.

1625-1626. French-Dutch conflict. The French declare war on the Dutch, probably in return for previous humiliations suffered by the French against the Dutch in the wars over England.
This conflict however only lasts several months due to two crushing defeats inflicted on the French by superior Dutch armies.

Battle at Arras, 30th May, 1626. 104,000 Dutch soldiers are attacked on their slow move onto Paris by a flank force of 25,000 French soldiers, probably a good portion of cavalry. In this utterly devastating battle, the French army is -totally- annihilated. Whoever is not killed by the Dutch falls into their captivity. The Dutch also suffer quite high losses probably due to wild French cavalry attacks. Their losses are at around 9,000 men dead and wounded.

Battle of Reims, 27th June 1626.
Meanwhile, the main French force of 37k soldiers assaults Luxemburg and storms it a few days after Arras. This leads to a decisive battle on June 27th at Reims. 94,000 Dutch (the same army that inflicted the French annihilation at Arras) meets the main French army of 62,000 men. Again both forces give all that they can, but in the end Dutch numerical superiority and leadership win the day. It is an even more staggering defeat than at Arras. 18,000 Dutch men are killed or wounded in this battle, whilst 1/2 of the 62k French army falls dead on the battlegrounds or is captured. This leads to the storming of Reims in July of 1626, which is unsuccessful. The French ask for status quo, which is agreed upon though in return for 250d to the Dutch.

1627-1633. Ottoman invasions of Hungary, Austria, Wallachia. Poland and France decide to act. Capitulation of Constantinople.

In Dec of 1627, the Ottomans without official declaration storm into the remaining independent Austrian provinces, however they are not let into Vienna which leads to an extensive siege that lasts till Aug 1628. The Austrians perish as an independent entity and nation. No country at the time lends a hand to stop the Ottoman raping of Vienna. In November, 1628 the Wallachians formerly cancel their vassalization under Turkey. Why they did so is anyones guess.

After a valiant defence of Bucuresti, it is stormed and its citizens are massacred. Wallachia becomes Ottoman territory in April of 1629. In August, 1630 the Ottoman alliance floods into Hungary. Hungary, despite being a vassal of France, does not receive any support from them until the Poles press them to do so in 1631. After several surprising defeats inflicted on the Ottomans by outnumbered Hungarians the tide slowly begins to turn. The Poles send in bucketloads of cash to the starving Hungarians which they gladly recieve. (Polish loans amount to >400d to 1633..) The Polish sejm decides to act finally in March of 1631 after the Turks flood the Carpathian mountains (just south of Krakow). Jan, 1632 the Poles and French jointly declare war on the Turks. In March, a huge Polish army of >50k soldiers, nearly 1/2 cavalry supported by >50 artillery pieces floods into Turkish Krementjug (once Polish..). By the end of the month the Poles control the province completely. Hungary, meanwhile defeats Tripolitan armies in Pest (Tripolian territory ceded to them by Hungary >90 yrs ago) and Tripoli is forced to hand over Pest back to the Hungarians. What an occasion! In July, 1632, the Poles continue their rampage, crossing over into actual Turkish territory. Ismai in Bujak is stormed by an overwhelming Polish assault and its 10,000 man garrison is shown no mercy -- they are butchered almost to a man. Meanwhile French armies battle Turkish incursions into French Helvetia just east of Zurich, so far successfully. Poles continue south into Silstra (just past Moldavia to the se), capturing the city in Sep, 1632. Whilst the Hungarians expel Turkish cavalry from the Carpathian mountains and successfully storm Turkish Krems (previous Aust territory). Hungarians and Crimea move to a status quo. The Poles are unstoppable continuing their charge, relentlessly into Turkish Wallachia. The Turkish garrison capitulates in Bucaresti, Wallachia falls under Polish control. The Poles decide to do the unthinkable -> Move onto Constantinople. Banat is recaptured by the Hungarians and this forces the Turks to start diplomatic proceedings. Dec 3rd, 1632 the Ottomans agree to pay 250d indemnties and cede Ostmarch to the Hungarians. A fortnight later the Poles move unopposed against the walls of the capital of the Ottomans, Constantinople. The siege lasts 4 weeks, and the Turkish garrison is seriously reduced. On the 4th of January they capitulate! The Turks are defeated decisively for the first time in this campaign. Wallachia and Krementjug is handed over the the victorious Poles during capitulation talks. What a Christian victory!

Sapura

Sapura will surely be canonized for this blessed crusade! :)

Things are looking good for the Commonwealth... I don't see what could stop you now.

The rebirth of Poland is complete! Time for some unrest.....nice healthy revolt to snap you back to reality. Good job recovering from your 'Time of Troubles'.

About time to clean up the lower Baltic? Remove those nasty little Prussians and Knights off your northern borders.

A Hansa alliance in the offing? Or do you want their lands?

How much bigger do you think you can get and still manage you possessions? The Balkans sound pretty ripe, though I suspect Turkey is a still juggernaut and not to be taken lightly.

About time to clean up the lower Baltic? Remove those nasty little Prussians and Knights off your northern borders.

They are my next target, though I'll need to co-ordinate my attacks very well because they've built up relatively big armies, and ofcourse they are allied together against me.

How much bigger do you think you can get and still manage you possessions? The Balkans sound pretty ripe, though I suspect Turkey is a still juggernaut and not to be taken lightly.

No more, I've expanded way past where I wanted to be by even 1792! Though I do want back authority over the lands of the Prussians and the Order. That is one thing that will occur for sure. I just have to worry about Sweden / Russian / Ottoman alliance from now on. Russia probably not anymore unless they catch me at a bad time. The Ottomans will probably be quiet in c. Europe for several years.. Sweden is probably busy consolidating its huge gains. So perhaps that leaves several years for me to re-conquoer Prussia and the Order.

Sapura

How do you say 'You Da Man' in Polish?

I'm curious to know how Poland and Frace jointly declared war on the Ottomans; was there some dipolmatic activity or was it just common sense since they were breathing down your collective necks?

Also, I've noticed that the Turk tends to be prone to committing atrocities. In this campaign they 'raped Vienna' and 'massacred Bucuresti' (they also did this type of thing in the Vienna AAR). Do some countries (or cultures) just behave this way; or is a result the leadership? I notice when the French/Dutch fought each other they inflicted massive causalties, but at least took prisioners. Are there any advantages in depopulating an area or are there any dipolamatic (or other) penalties?

As always - thanks for sharing.

Jim,

I'm curious to know how Poland and Frace jointly declared war on the Ottomans

We signed an alliance after I made the English one void. It was no use to me.

In this campaign they 'raped Vienna' and 'massacred Bucuresti' (they also did this type of thing in the Vienna AAR).

Heh, it was purely added for 'flair' and more spice in the AAR. I thought it was appropriate especially in the Wallachian case -- the Turks lost many soldiers during the siege of the capital, so you'd think that they would teach their former vassal a lesson. It has happened on several occasions.

I notice when the French/Dutch fought each other they inflicted massive causalties, but at least took prisioners.

Well, there are relatively high casualties in most battles, I just decided to 'follow' a few in that campaign because Poland was very quiet at the time.

Are there any advantages in depopulating an area or are there any dipolamatic (or other) penalties?

De-population of the area usually occurs due to war operations or civil / rebel revolts. This reduces the population, causes instability and eventually has to be put down with force.

Sapura

Normal / Normal.

It's been a 'mixed' bag. Been defeated in my first war agains the Turks when they attacked. 10% of my most rich territories disappeared after the civil war (Prussia, the Order, and Kazan independent), Kazan being annexed by Muscovites immediately after. Though you are right, I've been on a 'high' since the Polish 'time of troubles' :)

Sapura

How is the indemnity price decided/agreed upon -- such as the French gaining peace in return for a 250d to the Dutch. 250d seems to be a fairly common price paid in peace agreements.
Also, in game terms, how much money is 250d compared to a years income for a nation?

quote:

How is the indemnity price decided/agreed upon -- such as the French gaining peace in return for a 250d to the Dutch. 250d seems to be a fairly common price paid in peace agreements.

---
Heh a bit late but what the hell. The victor will always want maximum amount of cash they can get out of you usually.

Also, in game terms, how much money is 250d compared to a years income for a nation?

Quite a bit, even as regards to the richest countries such as France / Turkey / Poland / Spain at the start of the scenario.

Sapura