• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(13)

Banned
Jan 12, 2000
Visit site
Part 6 – AAR – Austria. The murderous war against Poland: A waste.

 February 1st 1636, Austria gains a military tech increase. No special bonuses.

In early 1636 I decided to invade and annex Wurtemburg (a small German province, without allies presenting an easy target for our armies). War is declared on February 11th, 1636. The Germans beg for help from anyone that will listen, however the only countries in a position to do something about it are in the middle of a war with Spain.

 I decline the help of my allies knowing that this will be an easy victory.
 Colonel Montecuccoli invades the province in March and on the 8th of that month joins battle against the 7,000 man German force. His army of 20,000 men and 100+ artillery pieces decimates the German field army – totally. In fact by the end of the day between 500-1000 German soldiers are left alive after this battle. ¾’s of those being seriously wounded. The Colonel has proved himself to be an extremely powerful and skilled commander.
 Austria is making healthy profits in Venice and Genoa centers of trade. We are netting a total of 58c altogether per annum from both of those COT’s with the use of only 8 merchants
 In mid April the Colonel begins the assault of the capital of Wurtemburg, Ulm.
 Scotland (an ally of Spain) accepts peace with Netherlands in exchange for payment of 18c in indemnities on April 28th 1636.
 On June 26th (2 months after beginning the siege) we capture Ulm and annex Wurtemburg despite the protests & outrage from several German envoys warning us that the whole of Germany will rise up against us if we do this. Ferdinand II ignores their threats.
 I am promoted to ‘Count’, to be addressed as ‘your Excellency’ on July 1st, 1636.
 January 1st, 1637, Ferdinand III rises to the throne of Austria.
 The Austrian government issues trade restriction to all foreign merchants. (i.e. No penalties for 53 months when refusing trade to other nations)
 December 12th 1637 enter a royal marriage with France hoping to ease tensions in the west before getting down to more ‘weightier’ matters in the east.

Ferdinand III now looks east at the rich fields and profitable areas of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth. France has been subdued to the west, many German principalities have been incorporated into the Austrian empire (the rest being too afraid to start a war). To the south Venice is at war with Spain. The Italian states are weakened and subdued. The only possible rival to our growth and expansion is Poland in the east. Especially since earlier we concluded a military alliance with Turkey, Crimea and Denmark.

(some historical info.. Relations with the Poles have been getting considerably worse since Archduke Maximillian Habsburg & his army was defeated by the Poles below the walls of Krakow, and then on the fields of Byczyna in south western Poland in 1588 by Jan Zamoyski. The Archduke was chosen as the new Polish King, however the sejm retracted this later and this forced the Archduke to seek a military solution. After the Archdukes’ surrender and capture by Zamoyski and his army, he was kept prisoner by the Poles until March 1589 when a peace was signed confirming Poland’s new King as Zygmund III. This was a great diplomatic success for the Commonwealth and caused great embarrassment for the Austrians. )

Ferdinand III was especially hostile towards his eastern neighbor and thought that he would teach them a lesson (and seek revenge) using his re-built and massive army together with the help of his allies, Turkey and Crimea.

 On March 4th 1638 Austria formally breaks the royal ties with Poland and her envoys are ordered to leave Warsaw. This is taken as an extremely hostile action by the Poles and it does seem like war is not too far away.
 June / July 1638 two massive Austrian armies under the Colonel and the Field Marshal move into Austrian Silesia & Moravia on the frontier with the Commonwealth.
 Discussions take place between Ferdinand III and his allies Turkey, Crimea and Denmark. Turkey and Denmark do no wish to fight this war, Denmark being busy in the Baltic at the moment, whilst Turkey is secretly not prepared for a war within the next 2 years keeping down revolts in occupied Hungary. This decision inflames Ferdinand, however he still continues to make war preparations with Crimea.
 The war between the Dutch & the Spanish (along with their allies) is brought to an end after 8 exhaustive years. The Dutch are forced to hand over OPORTO to the Spanish. NW Europe is heavily depopulated and in flames after this 8 year conflict. Spain, officially, manages to win this war, however, both sides have lost many troops in the conflict.
 War with Poland seems very sure in the new year of 1639

Ferdinand III cannot wait any longer, his massive forces are ready to tear Poland into pieces. He declares war on the 1st of January 1639. Crimea joins in the conflict.

 From Silesia, Montecucoli moves onto the Polish province of Posen with 33,000 men and 116 pieces of artillery. The Field Marshal moves from Moravia into Krakow with 43,000 men.
 February 1st the F.M encounters a small Polish force consisting of 5,000 men (1,000 cavalry), our massive 43k man army gives battle and the entire Polish force is annihilated, the rest fleeing in terror. Our losses are 3,000 dead and wounded. This is but a small % of their armies that are at this point converging on Posen from the north.
 Six days later the Colonel gives battle to a 20,000 man Polish army in Posen. We win this bloody battle, losing 5,000 men dead and wounded. Our casualty rates are increasing drastically and we have not yet encountered the main Polish army of 50,000 + men still making slow progress from Warsaw.
 A 16,000k Polish army moves south avoiding the Colonels’ forces and invades our province of Silesia at the end of February. However 10 days later, on the 27th of February the Poles are forced to retreat (wave the white flag ) after extremely high casualty rates. (close to 10,000 dead and wounded)
 In March Papenheim encounters an army of 15,000 Poles (with 3,000 Hussars), who immediately join battle against the FM’s army of 35,000 troops near Krakow. After a several hours long battle the FM is forced to retreat under strong pressure from the Polish cavalry. The Field Marshal is forced into a quick retreat back into Moravia.
 The Colonel, in the mean time, on May 6th captures the city of Posen from the Poles. The quick and relatively painless siege is due to our overwhelming numerical superiority in field artillery (116 pieces, of).

The Poles’ main army of 48,000+ men (45% of which is cavalry, pancerni, cossack and heavy hussar) crosses the Polish / Austrian border and invades Silesia again. The Field Marshal reacts quickly to this dangerous situation, moving his bruised army from Moravia and into Silesia. The Austrian forces are continually being harassed by Polish Cossacks all the way on the march to meet up with the invading Polish main army. On May 26th Papenheim’s army encounters the main formation of the slowly moving Polish army. Battle immediately begins, however things do not look very positive from the start. The Poles have a numerical advantage (31k vs. 42k), for one. Two, almost ½ of their army consists of several different types of cavalry (nearly 20k). We are able to handle their infantry for awhile, however the Poles soon launch an all out charge by their Hussar cavalry supported by light cossack and pancerni units. Under such an assault our army is massacred. F.M tries to restore order, however he himself is nearly killed when a group of Tartars charges for the main Austrian tent. By the end of the battle the Austrians are fleeing disorderly, the Polish cavalry chasing them incessantly over many miles. In total about ½ of our army is destroyed (or captured) during the battle and in the following retreat.

The inevitable conclusion of this disastrous battle is the capture of Breslau (capital of Silesia) by the Polish forces several days later. However, this disaster is offset by the capture of the city of Lublin (in Podlasia) by the Colonels’ army. (Podlasia being the province directly east of occupied Posen)

 The Polish King hearing of this setback in the very heart of their country order orders a massive Polish army of 74,000 men (48k+ in Silesia combining with reinforcements) on a chase to force a field battle with the rampaging Austrian army under the Colonel Montecuccoli. The Colonel hearing of this massive rampaging lion descending on his location in Podlasia decides to take a big risk: He orders his army to move north, straight unto the Polish capital of Warsaw. This is in the hope that he may lay siege and capture the city forcing the Poles to deal in negotiations. In spite of the willingness of his staff to move west (call the Polish bluff) and join battle with the monstrous Polish army making its way on their position, he orders them northward.
 As this is occurring, Papenheim moves into occupied Silesia and his 20,000 man army gives battle to a 12k Polish defense force (left by the main army just incase). The battle is short, but sharp, the Poles retreating under the influence of our numerically superior units. It is now time for him to re-take Breslau from the Polish invaders.

The Colonel continues his move on the Polish capital. On August 15th he crosses the province border and is but a few short miles away from the capital, his army meeting no large organized resistance since leaving Lublin. However, he is unable to reach the capital before the chasing Polish army reaches his position from the west. Unable to flee (due to large Polish cavalry forces in the area), he is now forced to give battle to this approach tidal wave. On mid-day he is able to see lead elements of the Polish army under the Grand-Hetman Koniecpolski (54,000 men, + 17,000 cavalry, vs. 17,000 Austrians, 21 pieces of artillery) converging on the meadows below his established defensive position. Two hours later both armies a wait who will make the first move. Polish Cossack and Tartar cavalry units are making quick hit and run assaults on the flanks of the Austrian defenses, a typical move before the main battle to force an undisciplined force in the enemy army to crack and order an assault. The Colonel knowing of these tactics gives strict instructions that any soldier making a move against these units is to be immediately restrained or shot.

An hour later the sound of fire and explosion fills the air as both forces begin a stand-off assault using their infantry and artillery to soften the opposing side up. Montecuccoli thinks that a purely defensive battle will in the end wear out the Polish forces and he is confident that his infantry can stand up against the famed charge of the Polish ‘Winged Hussar’ units. As the sun begins to set, the battle begins in earnest. Polish infantry begins to move forward (and uphill), the cavalry however remains silent which is a very odd change of tactics. After several failed assaults on the Austrian position the Polish infantry retreats back with few losses. The battle ends on the on-set of dusk on this day, both armies retreating back for some rest over night. During the night however several Ukrainian Tartar and Polish light cavalry units make more quick hit and run assaults on the Austrian position, the Austrians taking light casualties, however being extremely unnerved by this tactic and interrupting their rest.

In the morning the Colonel spies a change in formation along the Polish lines. The Poles have lined up their light cavalry units in front and what looks like most of their heavy hussar units at the back. Knowing well that this means that the Poles are preparing for an all out assault on the Austrian position he orders his artillery and infantry to tighten formation and prepare to receive and deflect a massive assault. Thirty minutes later a horn is heard in the Polish camp, Koniecpolski gives the signal for an all out assault. One by one the, 17,000 horses begin to trot, ever quickly, the light cavalry units leading the thundering hussar formation. The Austrians give immediate fire on this formation, many cavalry riders dropping from their saddles either dead or injured. Then the slow trot turns into an all out charge. The light cavalry units split to the left and right exposing the hussar cavalry in the center, the Austrians are ordered to continue holding and giving fire. Now the cavalry is almost on top of Austrian lines. The hussars now raise their massive, long lances up towards the firing Austrian musketeers. A deafening sound of thousands of hoof beats drowns out the noise of the explosions of the muskets, and then it happens. The cavalry connects with the Austrian infantry, slicing through their first formations like a knife gliding through hot butter. The 2nd and 3rd lines are now penetrated and the horses continue to move onward. Knowing that the possibility of a working retreat is hopeless the Colonel gives the order to hold the ground. The infantry does as its told, many of them falling under the lances or the hoofs of the Polish charge, however the Poles have taken serious losses in this charge. Coming right on the tail of the hussars are the light cavalry units finishing off any survivors from the tsunami that just washed over them. Seeing this the Colonel, knowing that the end is near comes out of his tent and joins his soldiers in a final defiant stand against the steam train making its way towards his position. Ten minutes later there is quiet on the battlefield.

Of the 17,000 man Austrian force that began this battle the previous day, only 500+ soldiers survive and are taken into captivity. The Poles celebrate a great victory. The Colonel himself is killed as his bodyguard is slaughtered around him towards the final minutes of the battle. The Poles themselves lose just under 6,000 men dead and wounded (mostly cavalry) in this exceedingly bloody battle where one army has been almost annihilated to a man. Needless to say this is a massive disaster for the Austrian war effort. One of the two major armies expires just like that.

In the month after this battle the main Polish army of 68k moves southwards into Bessarabia (Crimean territory) and easily captures the city of Odessa.

 However as of December, 1629 both Posen and Lublin are still under our occupation
 The general population hearing of this shocking loss against the Poles gives generously a sum of 200c towards the end of the year to help the war effort. This combines with 300+c as fresh capital in January 1640.
 On January 25th, the Field Marshal re-captures Breslau (province of Silesia) from the Poles taking the remainder into captivity. His army suffers great casualties being forced to recapture this city before the main Polish army makes its way back into western Poland after capturing Odessa.
 The Poles recapture both Posen on March 25th 1640. Lublin is besieged by the Poles also.

In April envoys from both countries arrive for talks on the border of Silesia and Posen. Under a month later on the 21st of April 1640 a truce is signed between Austria and Poland leading to a status quo between the two countries.

What a horrible waste of lives for nothing  Ferdinand III is now under siege by many of his previous supporters for losing this campaign and along with it a great deal of his army and many of its finest leaders. Not least the Colonel.

The Crimea was unable to render me any decent support during the war simply because it didn’t have numerically large enough forces to deal effectively with the Poles. An 8,000 Crimean force was stationed in the province of Krakow for much of this time and this however was later used to fight against advancing Polish armies to the south east on the heart lands of the Crimea.

End of Part 6.

Looks like Poland isn't to be trifled with ;). Maybe you should have allied with the Poles instead of the Turks and invaded Ottoman territory. Oh, well. I don't suppose you can remember any more of the details about the war between Spain and England/Netherlands/Venice?

I am sure the results here were bittersweet. You home land defended itself quite well. Glad to see the computer putting up a good fight.

Questions:
Do you actually inform your allies of your plans for invasion?

Do your allies give you feed back?

I notice that allies respond differently depending on whether they are informed of war prior to it commencing. Is this an actual game option or a bit of color in the narratives? I.e. can you send a diplomatic message to someone saying 'we're going to attack Poland in 1629 want in?' or do you have to attack first and see if your allies honor the pact?

Sapura,
What a tough one, I had expected the Turks to be a little more aggressive after reading your GC AAR, but I guess they're relatively passive in this scenario. I wonder if their excuse for not attacking Poland (i.e. revolts in Hungary) was just a cover story.

My biggest surprise here was the Colonel trying to besige Warsaw with just a modest force. Was this a move that the he made independently (as commanders sometimes do their own thing), or was it a gambit that you as the player tryed out to force a dipolmatic solution?

DK,

Oh, well. I don't suppose you can remember any more of the details about the war between Spain and England/Netherlands/Venice?

Afraid not.. I remember, though, that it was exceedingly vicious. Would have left NW Europe a desert, had it ever occured on such a scale :)

Dragon,

Questions:
Do you actually inform your allies of your plans for invasion?

Not really no..you do send a herald out on the outbreak of hostilites though, if you want them to help you in your war.

Do your allies give you feed back?

Heh, yeah If I don't give them some decent territory in a war, they'll give me feed back by moving our relationship into the negative :)

Kevin,

or do you have to attack first and see if your allies honor the pact?

You have to see if they honor it, though you're pretty safe as long as your relationship is relatively amiable.

Jim,

My biggest surprise here was the Colonel trying to besige Warsaw with just a modest force.

i.e. me. I thought I could defeat them, despite their huge numerical advantage. There was a strong possibility that they would be still too weak to pose a threat. Besides which, had I captured Warsaw, it would have shifted the war completely to my side, as I had already ceased several western cities.

Was this a move that the he made independently (as commanders sometimes do their own thing), or was it a gambit that you as the player tryed out to force a dipolmatic solution?

It was purely my move.. and it turned out to be utterly incorrect. The Colonel, my best ranked leader was wiped out, a long with 95% of the army..

Sapura

Originally posted by Sapura:
There was a strong possibility that they would be still too weak to pose a threat.

Follow up question(s):
What would have caused this army to be so weak? I know that a big part of this group had defeated your Field Marshall - even though they were victorious, was their morale reduced significantly?

Follow up question(s):
What would have caused this army to be so weak? I know that a big part of this group had defeated your Field Marshall - even though they were victorious, was their morale reduced significantly?

Jim,

Their moral would have been slightly reduced, but what would have weakened them more was the addition of green recruits in Warsaw. New recruits start out with very low moral and when they join a large outfit such as the one the Colonel fought against, the combined moral drops of the whole army, and it takes a month or so for them to recover, perhaps even more to 'full strength' I guess you can call it a period of 'integration' of new recruits into a veteran army, there will always be problems associated with that.

Sapura