• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(13)

Banned
Jan 12, 2000
Visit site
Part 5 – AAR – Austria. The French war: 1629-1633: The Allied Deluge

Austrian diplomacy saves the day.

In the last AAR I left you with a still undecided war that Austrian had been waging with France and its allies. In the next years the war really heats up, many of France’s allies come to her aid and she finally recovers from her bankruptcy that so crippled her armies. For a time, things look exceedingly bleak for Austria, without allies, facing an assault by France and her allies on a surprising scale. However, before the situation gets totally out of control the Austrian diplomatic service manages wonders (with the use of a lot of cash..) distancing, in the end all of the remaining allies of France from her and therefore easing logistical problems for Austria.

This is what occurred from June 1631 (we’re at war already 2 years, see previous AAR)

June 6th 1631; A massive French force arrives in Austrian Helvetia (a province that has been under constant assault by French forces over the previous two years, without success). This French army consists of over 60,000 troops. Knowing of this gigantic army for several weeks, Papenheim is ready with all the forces he can muster (6,000 men are arriving from Tyrol), that is nearly 33,000 men. This battle will be one of the bloodiest and longest of the entire war and it will be the last SERIOUS assault attempted by the French into our territory. (Her allies will come into the spotlight very soon) This happens due to the shocking losses suffered by their army (and ours) in the battle.

Three days later both armies converge on each other, over ground already bloodied with French and Austrian dead over the previous two years. Battle is joined mid-day and it is immediately apparent that this French army is of a much high quality than we have previously faced. Obviously the crisis in the French army is over. During the next 3 days, fighting only breaking off during the nights, both forces battle each other with wild abandon. Neither army gives an inch and casualties are rising dramatically. Nearly 5000 dead and wounded from both sides at the end of day one. At dawn on, on the third (and final) day of the battle, a reinforcement army of 6,000 Austrians finally arrives at the Field Marshals’ camp. Both forces gather for a final, bloody assault hoping for a conclusive win that will change the fortunes of this war considerably. As it happens, the French crumble first. Her generals commanding their armies are forced into an orderly retreat after the casualty rates explode into astronomical figures. Papenheim’s army exhausted and bloodied does not follow them. During these three days, nearly 20,000 French troops fell on the battlefield, dead and wounded. That is a 1/3rd of there 60k army. Our losses are significant as well, with 13,000 dead and wounded out of a total of 35k+ (along with the reinforcements), however we have triumphed.

As it will happen the challenge now will occur from an unexpected place, the willingness of Frances allies to help her out in this war. Our armies will play a vital role, however the real achiever will be our diplomatic service and its bundles of cash (thanks to our great economy and the promotion of many officials)

 France refuses our approaches for a status quo, even though we have won a **** star victory.
 A Tunisian force of 6,000 men lands on the coast of Nice (one of their allies, along with Morocco & Sweden – Frances’ Italian allies have been discarded by her it seems) and proceeds to pillage the province. Our miniscule regiments their flee from this force, since we never expected a sea invasion of this sort. General Gallas splits his forces (11k each) with Papenheim in Zurich and proceeds down south to deal with this Tunisian force.
 July 19th a sea battle occurs between Austria and France in the Ligurian Sea. Our fleet of 19 vessels annihilates the French force consisting of 6 ships, for one loss.
 As this is occurring, our spies report 15k French moving into Lyonnaise.
 Milano is taken back by the Spanish (after occupation by Venice for several months)
 August 29th my Austrian fleet joins battle against a combined Moroccan / French fleet in the Gulf of Lyon. After a running battle lasting several hours our forces are bombarded to pieces, we lost nearly ½ of our ships. However their fleet is quite damaged as well. The sea south of Nice now begins to teem with several Moroccan / Tunisian and French fleets. Not a good sign.

On September 3rd 1631 a 7k French force (with 100 artillery pieces!) invades Helvetia and is attacked by Papenheim. We are victorious in the space of a few hours, the French losing 4k dead and wounded. Our losses are under 1,000 men d/w. It seems the French are planning to take Zurich. However they will need much more infantry if they are to succeed.

 6k reinforcements arrive in Zurich combining with the 11k army under Papenheim.
 My diplomats perform their first wonder. We sign a white peace with Tunisia in August of 1631. Gallas arrives in Nice and finds the provinces empty of Tunisian troops.
 October 8th 1631. Grenoble is under siege by our Forces (French city) with 8k infantry and 63 pieces of artillery. However the siege is not active since we do not have enough storming troops as yet to do any good against such a well defended city. (Nearly 15,000 troops, 20+ artillery pieces) In November reinforcements arrive (2k), laying of the siege begins in earnest.
 December 6th 1631, White Peace with Morocco. Cash is a valuable diplomatic commodity 
 France is being continually isolated from its ‘allies’

What happens next surprises the French even more than me. In the beginning of 1632, a fleet with a distinguished yellow cross / over a blue background is spotted getting ready to storm Nice off the coast: The Swedes have arrived. Combined Swedish / French fleets are now in complete control of the seas of the coast of Nice. Our fleet is still licking its wounds after that pummeling it received some months back. A 6,000 man (VERY STRONG) Swedish infantry army is seen marching in tight formation from the beaches not long after. Our small forces flee the area, after a daring 1000 man regiment of Austrian infantry dares to attack the Swedes. ½ of that force is slaughtered before running for the hills. The Swedes seem barely fazed (or scratched).

 Papenheim orders his army to move immediately on this dangerous new force on our territory, knowing well that he may not be coming back alive.

He arrives in the province in early February of 1632. Several days after his scouts report that the Swedes have almost taken the city. We must strike now. On the 12th of February the Field Marshal launches his attack against the Swedish infantry. In the space of 2 hours our army is cut to pieces, losing 3,000 dead and wounded / out of a total of 18,000 men (vs. 6k Swedish infantry), Swedish losses being insignificant. The Field Marshal immediately orders a retreat northward. Though he was unable to defeat this force, he did weaken it significantly (moral wise) delaying the taking of the town for at least a month. In fact, due to our diplomatic service, saving it from any sort of occupation.

 March 15th, only a month after that battle, Sweden accepts peace with Austria. Another miracle performed by our envoys, however this peace cost us much gold. With this peace, France is left alone to deal with me. What a weight off my shoulders.
 Papenheim now moves westwards into Dauphine (city of Grenoble) and joins forces there with the artillery / infantry force still laying siege to the French city.
 While this is happening a rogue French scouting army of 15k men makes contact with our 11,000 forces in Helvetia. After a brief battle, both forces retreat, losses are insignificant, but larger on the French side.
 July 13th, 1632. Grenoble is captured by the Field Marshal. Our casualties are exceedingly high in this several month long siege. Nearly 5,000 dead plus wounded in excess of 10,000 men. The French however are not much better off either, losing nearly ¾’s of their 15,000 men during the siege. One of the bloodiest sieges of the entire war.
 We now have ***** star victory against the French. We should be able to force them into a peace, after all their setbacks and defeats of the last year +.

On September 1st, after month long discussions in neutral territory on the borders of Lyonnaise and Helvetia a peace is finally signed between the French and the Austrians. We are in a position to demand territory (The French should have made peace earlier!) and we get it. The province of Dauphine (city of Grenoble), is demanded and we receive it. It is a very highly populated province (11,000 people) with strong industry. (a weapons manufactory)

The war is over, however it has cost as thousands upon thousands of casualties, many, many dead and wounded. It is impossible for me to estimate how many have died on both sides in the conflict, however french losses are significantly higher than ours. Most of western Austria (Helvetia, Nice, etc) have been de-populated and pillaged over the course of this four-year war.

1633-35 Austria undertakes massive rebuilding of its western and eastern border provinces and defenses. We now earn over 42c per month (if all technologies are turned off) into the treasury due to our wide scale promotion of Chancellors during these two years.

 September 22nd 1634. After long discussions we join an alliance with Crimea and Turkey, perhaps opening a door way for a full scale invasion of Poland perhaps (?) into its southern borders
 Our ambassador in France is insulted in October of 1634. This gives us a Casus Belli on France for 12 months. We return the insult. It seems France is quite sour about losing a war when everything was pointing to a possible annihilation of Austria in 1629. (Due to Spain’s refusal to honor the alliance)
 Colonel Montecuccoli (4,4,3, 1+ siege) awaits my command in Tyrol, Jan 1635. Making him my most skilled and talented field leader (even better than F.M Papenheim and General Gallas), he will serve us well in upcoming conflicts, I think

Current Standings

Spain 617
Netherlands 312
Portugal 214
England 208
Austria 181

End of Part 5 AAR.

how much did you have to pay the swedes?
..if you still remember :)

[This message has been edited by pcongre (edited 11-08-2000).]

Note the positioning of Austria in the victory point totals. You own a big chunk of Europe yet you are still way behind on victory points. Note to all concerned about vicory points.....Colonize, colonize colonize.

An alliance with the Turks ?! For shame ;)!
More seriously, a nice job bribing all of France's allies into making peace with you. How was the Swedish army so powerful that it could defeat forces three times larger; was it simply through high morale or from technological improvements?

pc congre,

I can't quite recall, but altogether it was a sizable amount, I'll tell ya that :(

Dragon,

Yeah, but as Austria it's almost impossible to colonize unless you get access to the sea.

DK,

How was the Swedish army so powerful that it could defeat forces three times larger; was it simply through high morale or from technological improvements?

Combination of high morale and technological advancement / organizational effectivness. They're all interwoven: the higher your military tech, the higher your moral.

Sapura

Aaah, after two months of waiting we finally get to read the Austrian AAR! This seems to be a story entirely unlike the 30YW we all know and cherish. :)

It seems to me that being a warmonger can be quite dangerous. Wars appear to be hideously expensive, quickly slowing down that vital tech development to a snail's pace.

DK,

How was the Swedish army so powerful that it could defeat forces three times larger; was it simply through high morale or from technological improvements?

Considering this was 1632, the Swedish army was probably the best trained and organized military in the world, with brilliant commanders to boot. This 30YW scenario probably reflects that to some degree.

Originally posted by Doomdark:
Considering this was 1632, the Swedish army was probably the best trained and organized military in the world, with brilliant commanders to boot. This 30YW scenario probably reflects that to some degree.
Don't worry, I know about the capability of the Swedish army in this period :). I was just curious as to whether in the AAR they had a significant tech advantage by this point.

Don't worry, I know about the capability of the Swedish army in this period . I was just curious as to whether in the AAR they had a significant tech advantage by this point.

Oh, I am not worried at all. I was just pointing out that yes, the Swedes probably have a land tech advantage in this scenario. (Sapura's comment seems to support that.) :)

Plus remember, this was >2 months ago.. Do you know how many patches the game has gone through in that time? :) It was a very different game back then, still I'm not complaining.

Yes, I do agree the Swedish army was the best organized army in the world at that time. Though I don't think 'training' has anything to do with it. For me, training generally means veteranship. The time and experience gained already spent waging war against other nations. Most countries in Europe had good training when it comes to that :)

Sapura

[This message has been edited by Sapura (edited 12-08-2000).]

A question about Tunisians (and Persians): If a minor ally sends troops to fight on your behalf in a war and the minor troops seize a provincec, does that province belong to you or the ally? Could you receive it in a peace treaty, or only the occupying power? And while off-topic, how did those darn Persians end up in England?