• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(13)

Banned
Jan 12, 2000
Visit site
Part 4 – AAR – Spanish betrayal & the war against the French alliance.

1625 – 1628

* Refuse trade to Venice & Turkey. I don’t like them very much  It will also increase profits for me.

 Japan closes itself off from the West – no trade with European nations.

 Building up my realm. Increasing fortress strengths. Promoting Majors & Bailiffs.

 France strengthens her weak position with an alliance of Genoa, Parma, Savoy, Sweden.
½ of Italy, that is. Most of the Italian allies being very dangerously close to my borders, as well as a few of Spain’s.

I decide to increase the amount of artillery pieces I usually field during wars and take a swipe at France, even though they have a multitude of allies. I decide that Spain would attack France head on, whilst I dealt with their Italian allies, Sweden being too far away to pose any threat.

February 1629, The Netherlands concludes a successful war against Portugal taking Para and Oporto. There are 46,000 Spanish soldiers ready to invade France from Antwerp. Several 8-14k French armies are grouped all the way on the western coast of France. Very foolish.

Gathering my forces, they detail:

a) 30,000 men under Papenheim, in Tyrol.
b) 20,000+ men, 92 field artillery pieces under Gallas neighbouring to Tyrol.

On June 22nd, 1629 we declare war. What happens next stuns and angers me. Spain dishonors our alliance. Their envoys say that were never informed of our intentions and that they will not invade France without concrete plans. Those bastards! Are simply afraid of this new French alliance? What is their reason for dishonoring us so? They’ve helped us and we’ve helped them in many wars of the last 15+ years and this is how it ends  Needless to say I immediately cancel our alliance with the Spanish, throwing out the envoys out of my royal chambers in absolute disgust.

This now leaves me in serious trouble. I have ½ of Italy and France against me as of this moment. I begin my campaign by moving the 32k men under Papenheim into Torino (Savoy), where I can also see three separate armies converging into one; Savoy, Genoa & Parma. Small by themselves, joining together they form a definite challenge for Papenheim.

August 20th 1629 Papenheims’ 32k army joins battle with the combined Italian force of 20,000 soldiers. The battle rages on for most of the day, in the end we are victorious, however losing 3,500+ dead and wounded. Italian combined army losses are significant. They immediately retreat south. A few days later a smaller 8,000 man Parma army (arriving too late for the battle on the 20th) attacks my forces under Papenheim. After two hours they are forced to retreat as well.
Just across the borders in Milan and other places I see large Spanish forces standing by, idle, doing nothing to help. Gallas now moves onto the capital of Savoy with his massive artillery force and 20k soldiers to besiege the capital along with Papenheim.

 Saxony invites us into an alliance with Hannover & Thurgien. A bit of a surprise really because they were the German principalities I was going to invade previously. Perhaps they did this in fear of my position hoping that an agreement with me will mean a guarantee of peace for them for at least the next 10 years. I refuse.

 I max out the per-month spending on the upkeep and conscription of the army.

 On August 30th, 10 days after the first major battle of the war, Genoa and Parma accept a white peace with me. Of course they do this to save their own hides, knowing full well of my possible potential. Also, the French have not moved their forces to attack my provinces as yet causing fears among the Italian states that France does not plan to be active in this war, unless Austria actually crosses its borders. I find this to be quite surprising, but in the end I find out why it took them so long to move in on me.

 Fortification increases throughout the land, increase in Presburg. September 1629.

Papenheim is now laying siege to Torino (in Savoy), as of September 20th with 46,000 men under his command + 92 artillery pieces against a defending force of 15,000 men and some artillery pieces. Assaults continue on and off throughout October until a final all out assault captures the city on November 9th. The Battles continue in the city streets and after Torino officially waves the white flag there are less than 1500 soldiers left alive in the city, our forces going on a 12 hour rampage taking everything and everyone. This is a reprisal for refusing to give up earlier and for the horrific losses our forces suffered during the siege, all up at nearly 10,000 dead and wounded.

Papenheim now moves onto Nice, the 2nd and last province of Savoy in the south, whilst continually receiving reconnaissance reports from our cavalry checking for possible encroaching French forces to the north.

 A small Savoy hides in French Lyonnaise under the protection of 14,000 French troops who are still idle. What are they planning to do? Hmm!

 December 11th, Papenheim begins the assault on Nice, with 30k men and 81 artillery pieces. French forces continue to stay idle, however this can change at anytime. Perhaps they’re tired that if they do attack us, Spain will pounce on them anyway because if they are successful against me it will cause de-stability in the region, causing danger to the Spanish provinces north and north west of Italy.

January 18th 1630 Nice is brought under the control of Papenheim. Savoy is unceremoniously added into the realms of Austria. There is no formal ceremony, no agreement whatsoever. It just happens  We now have access to the sea through the port in Nice and gain control of 19 state of the art war vessels that formally swam under the banners of the Savoy navy.

January 29th 1630, a small Austrian skirmishing army of 3k cavalry and 2k infantry, without permission, crosses into French Lyonnaise. They encounter a French army of 14,000 men camped just past the frontier. In a surprise charge at dusk, the foolish Lieutenant in charge of the detachment along with the whole of the Austrian army are slaughtered to a man. For a few hours it would seem like the Austrians would be able to cause the French to flee in terror, thinking that a massive Austrian army had suddenly attacked them. However the French General handles the situation very bravely and efficiently re-organizing the French forces to counter-attack with their massive bulk. They do so successfully, however taking surprisingly large losses.

In March of 1630 my scouts report of three massive French armies moving in from the east onto our western provinces. It seems that foolish assault by the Lieutenant enraged the French so much that they have been pushed too far. They now are fully active in this campaign. Wonderful!

April 5th, Savoie. A large 15,000 French army converges on the army of Field Marshal Papenheim (25k forces), after a quick battle, we are victorious. French lose over 2,000 men dead and wounded, our loses are surprisingly small. Less than 500 casualties. This pattern is repeated almost non-stop against the French till the end of this campaign, and you’ll read why.

Gallas & Papenheim split their forces into 2, 12k armies. Gallas moves off into French Toulon to rendezvous with 66 artillery pieces making their way in from Nice. I left the artillery force way behind the front lines because I was afraid they would take too much damage when on the march + during the battles with the large French forces. Why waste them, when they’re so expensive?

Another 30k French army crosses the border into Austrian Switzerland (Helvetia) not to long afterwards and attacks a small Austrian garrison stationed there. After a battle lasting two days the French crumble and run for their lives leaving behind 4,000 dead and wounded in their wake. At this point I realize that there’s only one reason why the French have been losing battles such as this AS WELL as why they waited so long to attack me directly: Bankruptcy. The war against Spain and Austria (me) previously must have bled them dry even more than we suspected. Perhaps they took out a loan to pay of the Spanish in the peace negotiations and were unable to pay it back within the required term. (Bankruptcy affects troop moral significantly, even up to a point where they’re unable to defeat peasant revolts within their own country!).

Now I knew why France was so afraid at the start. They wanted to wait an extra few years hoping that their Italian allies would be successful against us in the first few fazes of the war. After which they would attack (their troop moral being restored, only after 4-5 years) and proceed to make mince meat out of the exhausted Austrian troops. Well, unfortunately it was not to be. 

 March 15th 1630 I am promoted to ‘Baron’, probably due to my splendid work on the Italians.

 March 29th 1630, Netherlands declares war on Spain (!) along with the Dutch allies, Cologne, Hessen, England & Venice. The Spanish have got all that they deserved. Now they are alone and in EXACTLY the same position I am; at war against a massive alliance hell bent on curbing their expansionist policy. What’s that old saying? “A house divide against itself cannot stand.” The Spanish decided to dishonor our alliance and have reaped what they have sown.

 July 9th 1630 an 8,000 man French army crosses the border into Switzerland and manages to pillage the countryside all the way up to Zurich before encountering our 16,000 forces (2k cavalry). The French decide to retreat knowing very well that they cannot stand up to our forces at this moment, especially when being outnumbered 2:1. Our forces however set an ambush and we surround them giving no mercy. France loses 4,000 dead on this day, along with close to a thousand wounded. That’s more than ½ of their army. The rest manages to flee westwards back into Lyonnaise.

 July, Russia invites us into an alliance with the Knights. We decline the offer.

On July 30th 1630, after a siege lasting over two months Gallas captures the province of Toulon from the French. We immediately ask for peace talks aiming at restoring a status quo. Surprising the arrogant French decline this incredibly generous offer shouting abuse and warning us that we’ll pay for our attack on Toulon. Being surprised by their decision but unfazed by the threats I continue the campaign knowing very well that any French forces attacking me in open field will most probably retreat before the battle is complete taking massive casualties again.

In August my spies report three new French armies moving in from Paris, between 8-14,000 men each army. Although I am now getting worried about the size of these regiments, I’m still confident that they will not be able to hold their own out in the field.

 September 4th 1630. Spain annexes Cologne. Looks like the Dutch alliance war against the Spanish is not going too well. Battles are occurring throughout most of North-western Europe. Spanish provinces are under siege by large alliance armies under Venice in the south; Spanish Milano is under siege by a 20k force under the banner colors of Venice.

In November I get word that a large French army is again on the move and has crossed the Swiss frontier a few days ago. On November 15th 1630, this French army made up of 18,000 men & 25 artillery pieces joins battle with my waiting army under Field Marshal Papenheim commanding 17.5k infantry & 1.5k cavalry. The battle is again brought to a quick end, their infantry being unable to break our defensive lines, staging many foolish assaults that are countered by our regiments of cavalry. Within a few hours the French are in an orderly retreat (Papenheim decides not to follow them adopting a purely defensive strategy from here onwards), having lost between 2-4,000 men dead and wounded. Our losses are insignificant. Cash flow problems must be seriously afflicting the French army. Perhaps their soldiers have not been paid for quite a time and they simply refuse to wage a war being hungry, with damaged equipment and no cash in their pockets. That’s all the better for me, but how much more punishment can they accept before they agree on a peace?

 Venice captures Milano after several months of all out assaults. Spain seems to be unable at this time to send any reinforcements into the south being under full assault in NW Europe. At this time, during December I get scattered reports of a massive 40,000 man French army making its move south from Montpellier. Quickly deciding to combine my two armies under Gallas and Papenheim taking no chances I await them outside of Zurich.

On February 5th, 1631 the massive French formations are seen (and heard) nearing from the west. They arrive the following day. Their forces consist almost purely of 38,000 infantry vs. The Field Marshals army of 33,000 men, 85% of which is infantry, the rest consisting of cavalry. The large French formations don’t look very impressive at all. There is a stench of uncertainty around them, mirroring their recent wholesale crisis in the army. On around mid-day the French decide to make their move deciding that the best way to take us on is by sending most of their infantry regiments at full scale (and full speed) into our defensive position. This however does not bring any fruitful results for the French, the Austrians holding their own very comfortably, whilst the French infantry is looking very shaky. A lull in the battle occurs in late afternoon, both forces resting while taking pot shots at each other. Papenheim now decides to take the offensive. He rightly presumes that the French are extremely exhausted after this few hour assault, and combined with their low moral a tough infantry assault into their position (at dusk) whilst the Austrian cavalry flanks them on either side will be the best way to conclude this battle.
He gives the orders at close to 7pm for this to occur on his mark. Twenty minutes later the charge occurs and within two hours the tattered and bleeding remaining French regiments are in full flight, whilst a good proportion of their forces is captured by the Austrians. On this day the French lose an astounding 10,000 men dead and wounded (along with 2-3 thousand that surrendered or were captured). What a glorious win for our Austrian armies! Our losses amount to under 1500 dead and wounded (infantry) and under 500 cavalry losses.

 Seven days later on February 12th, 1631 our ‘repossessed’ Savoy naval fleet (of 19 ships) practicing tactics in the Ligurian sea spots a small French reconnaissance force of two vessels. They give chase and carry out an assault completely destroying both vessels for no losses. A very nice tactical practice exercise, no? 

As of March 1631 the French continue to refuse any approaches of our envoys regarding peace negotiations. Even though we have basically won this war (three stars), humiliated their forces in the field and annexed one of her allies (forcing the other two to make peace) they still refuse a status quo. These French are very arrogant, and very foolish. Perhaps they are waiting until their armies can regain some moral?

This is the end of Part 4 of the Austrian AAR. Next part will deal with my conclusion of this ‘war’ with France and we’ll also see how Spain holds up against the Dutch alliance.

End Part 4.

Long live France......well maybe not. The Austrian Empire is getting pretty Large now maybe you should push for a conquest of Spain so you can name yourself the HRE, deposing Johan of course.

I think I would have taken the German states up on their offer of Alliance. I think that would have been pretty beneficial in the the short run especially if the French had been capable of defending themselves at all. The Russian/Knights alliance surely would have led you into a confict with Poland at some point and time, couldn't have that. = )

Very impressive Job with Autria BTW, where are the Turks? Are they have issues at home as DK suggested or are they sitting on their hands and watch the world pass them by?

Poor poor France (literally). Just think of how lucky they were that the Spainish chickened out of this campaign. However, you're doing very well without them.

Can you explain the significance of the 'three star' victory that you've racked up here against France (so far)?

Dragon,

Very impressive Job with Autria BTW, where are the Turks? Are they have issues at home as DK suggested or are they sitting on their hands and watch the world pass them by?

Remember I played this actual game 2 months ago so it's hard for me to remember. All I remember is that they were very pacifistic during that scenario game. Remember this is a scenario game of the 30 yrs war, not the time - pre-occupied with matters at home.GC. Hopefully like DK said, the Turks were modelled as they were in history during this time.

Also, If I use 'remember' anymore in this msg I'll shoot my drunken brain :D

Jim,

Can you explain the significance of the 'three star' victory that you've racked up here against France (so far)?

Ermm, I can't quite recall (hah woo), I'm just back home from a nightclub and pissed as the proverbial Swede.. There are various stages of diplomacy. Depending on how you do militarily these can be stars (meaning you're winning ..1 star = you won't get much from them, to 5-6 stars total victory / annexation. If you're losing a war you'll see black crosses, meaning you'll have to pay your enemy an indemnity and hand over some provinces. It's a little more complex than that, but thats more or less the gist of it. Jeezus, 3am...

Sapura

[This message has been edited by Sapura (edited 10-08-2000).]

I'm surprised that France was so greatly weakened for such a long time by that early war. Nice job, though, waging war against France and its allies without Spanish support. I'm hoping that England, the Netherlands, and Venice will hand Spain its comeuppance in the next segment.

Jim,

Yep, the star / cross system is quite extensive, though there is always room for improvement. It's definitely the best system out there for this sort of game at this time but there is _heaps_ of room for improvement.

Johan has gigs of information from beta testers, for a possible addon or even EU ][ to make everything *that* much better.

Thanks for the info, now get some rest.

Yes, I've slept like a baby.

DK,

I'm surprised that France was so greatly weakened for such a long time by that early war.

Everybody goes bankrupt, even the big boys :) France fighting Spain and Austria would be like Poland fighting Sweden and Muscovy at the same time, a costly extensive conflict.

Nice job, though, waging war against France and its allies without Spanish support. I'm hoping that England, the Netherlands, and Venice will hand Spain its comeuppance in the next segment.

Spain will get its 'reward' in the next aar, that is for sure.

Sapura

[This message has been edited by Sapura (edited 11-08-2000).]