• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(13)

Banned
Jan 12, 2000
Visit site
Part 3 / 7

Part 3 – AAR – Austria. Continued wars against the German principalities.

Recovery period & peace. 1622-1625.
The previous war against the alliance of Helvetia turned out to be most difficult for our country to gestate. As of June 1622 Austria is still quite exhausted by this war, which drained most of our military and financial resources, whilst, at the same time causing surprising damage to our country. Mostly caused by OUR own countrymen who saw fit to take advantage of the situation and stage a rebellion while the war was taking place.

We however have the manpower to create vast forces (at the moment being 31), however we just do not have the finances to support this massive conscription over a short enough time.

At one point during this recovery period I get an idea about planning the invasion and capture of the Venice COT (center of trade), I would certainly profit by it most significantly. However, even with the support of Spain my generals are unable to agree on this invasion because of three problems:

A) Even though Venice has much smaller forces (they however maybe very well trained), their city and fortress defenses are astoundingly strong. Not surprising since they’re a strong trade and naval power with access to the Mediterranean. The fortress itself surrounding Venice is astoundingly massive. (classification, LARGE). I would need to pull all my resources into this siege which would, given best circumstances make for a very long stay at its walls with many casualties. I would be unable however, even to do this (after defeating their field armies ..) because..

B) Poland has entered a defensive alliance with Venice and most of the principalities of Italy. Most probably due to the Ottoman threat from the south. Then again, maybe due to Austria’s recent expansion and aggressive tone, they though of strengthening themselves If I decide to get frisky in Italy. A war with Poland / Venice and its allies (even with Spanish help) would be almost impossible. Certainly not worth the damage my country would suffer, for the rewards which I probably wouldn’t be able to keep. It would demand defensive armies in Silesia & Moravia against the Poles, whilst another gigantic army attacks Venice / its Italian allies.

C) Italian allies. They maybe insignificant by themselves, however allied together such as they are (Papal States, Tuscany, Parma...) they could create some really strong (yet small) armies and this would be the final nail in the coffin of the success of this campaign.

August 22nd 1622 - Stability above 0 now, at +1.

Another option would be for me and Spain to invade France. A joint assault north from Spain into southern France, whilst an attack with a combination of Spanish / Austrian forces from the east would spell seriously problems for the French. My spies have checked crossed most of its central and eastern provinces checking discretely the fortress strengths of their major cities. They are usually small or minimal, which is quite astounding. France must still be at a low after its disastrous wars against us in Part 1. Their current standing armies are also small. However, I decide against it, at least for now. I’m not 100% sure of their strength and it would still require long term action in France to reach any definite goal.

As of September 1623 my can gain a maximum o 27.6c per month, if I turn off all my research. This is also good news. It means I can create several thousand conscript armies within a few months as well as building new artillery pieces.

Instead I decide to take on the traitor that dishonored our alliance was kicked out a few years ago, Bavaria. They are alone almost surrounded by me from the east. Bavaria has been alienated by their former German allies after they decided to join our alliance some year’s back. I think it might be an easy annexation, after all, who would care if we did invade them? Who would stop us? We have a Casus Belli (cause for war) on them because they abandoned us, so we would lose no national stability as a result of a declaration.

As of April 1624, there’s a 16k army in Ansbach (Bavaria), the only standing field army Bavaria seems to have at the moment. Bavaria is made up of only 2 provinces, so it is definitely quite small. They however do have decent fortress defenses. Nothing state of the art, but I would need significant artillery support to capture them quickly with little losses. (see pictures)

By June of 1624, Klausenburg is in Salzburg (bordering Bavaria), with 8k infantry and 50 artillery pieces. This will increase to 13,000 infantry and 60 artillery pieces by December of this year. Field Marshal Papenheim is to the west in Tyrol, with 17,000 infantry and 11,000 cavalry, both taking actively in future combat actions. The plan is as follows:

Papenheim will invade Ansbach and take on the Bavarian field army located there, which most probably will be already on the move southward to meet up with the Field Marshal for a first decisive battle. Klausenburg will invade from the south-east and go straight for Munchen in Bavaria.

War

February 2nd 1622, we break royal ties with Austria and simultaneously declare war on them.
We decline the assistance of Spain thinking it will be an easy war.

End of February Papenheim reaches the outskirts of Munchen in Bavaria, with their field army still on the march, making its way from Ansbach. Two days later, Klausenburg combines with Papenheim under the walls of Munchen and they jointly lay the siege.

Only a week later our reconnaissance patrols report that the Bavarian field army under Colonel Grieg is moving onto their capital; approaching our position maybe a week away. The stage is set for a major battle. Our forces disengage from the siege of the city and we prepare our formations for a tough battle against the smaller, but well trained and motivated German troops.

On March 13th, the lumbering Bavarian infantry is spied over the hills, several kilometers from out position combining into combat formations. The battle is joined only a few hours later after the Bavarians refuse our conditions to lay down their arms so no more German blood can be shed.
Field Marshal Papenheim joins battle with 30,000 infantry, 11,000 cavalry and 50+ artillery pieces against the Bavarian Colonel with 10,000 infantry, 3,000 cavalry and 17 artillery pieces. Battle lasts almost the entire day, the Field Marshal seeing many worrying signs of our infantry formations crumbling throughout the day and our cavalry unable to strike any of their flanks. By dusk, the Austrian infantry is in full, yet ordered retreat covered by our massive cavalry force, we manage to also save most of our artillery pieces. We are therefore forced to retreat. We have lost this battle. A very surprising loss. During the battle we lose dead and wounded almost 4,000 infantry, whilst our cavalry and artillery losses are insignificant. The Bavarians on the other hand, from credible reports seem to have lost almost ½ of their army (combined cavalry / infantry numbers) dead and wounded in this extremely bloody battle.

We retreat into Salzburg, licking our wounds and trying to figure out what went wrong. Coming to the conclusion that our infantry, though massive in number was unable to stand up to the much better trained and drilled (not to mention motivated) Bavarian infantry. Another worrying sign, especially since this also happened on several occasions during the Helvetian alliance campaign.

Once back in Salzburg, Papenheim orders re-organization of our forces (herald from Bavaria asking for a white-peace is ignored completely). 90% of our cavalry, all the artillery & 2000 infantry is separated from the main force under Papenheim which will lead the assault into Bavarian territory again. 23,000 men (infantry), move out again into Ansbach in mid July.

June 3rd 1625 our 23k force moves into Bavaria (course change from previous destination) and immediately joins battle with a 7,000k Bavarian force of infantry. We are successful in this quick battle, their forces flee. Losses on both sides are small.

A few days later Papenheim arrives at the walls of Munchen and now awaits the 60 artillery pieces making there slow but merry way from Salzburg. They finally arrive by the end of June. On July 5th, the capital of Bavaria, Munchen is captured after an all out assault. A very small fortress, it just cannot stand the pounding of 60+ guns day and night. ½ of our object is complete.

Papenheim now moves out to tackle a 15k Bavarian army avoiding all battle, it has moved through Salzburg and almost down into Tyrol avoiding all our patrols and not laying siege to any of the cities. On September 20th, the Bavarian force lays siege to Tyrol. Papenheim has been on their trail for nearly 2 months. He will now force them into a conclusive battle, whilst an artillery force is sent out to Ansbach. On October 18th, the artillery force consisting of 3k infantry, 7k cavalry and 56 field pieces joins battle with a small 4,000 man Bavarian force consisting of infantry. We defeat them soundly, in the space of only a few hours, now we are free to lay siege to Ansbach.

November 11th 1622 Papenheim joins battle with the 15k Bavarian force assaulting Tyrol. Our 22k army is soundly defeated by the 15k Bavarian force and flees the surrounding area in panic. Tyrol continues to be assaulted. There is danger that if we cannot capture Anbach quickly the Bavarians may have enough time to take Tyrol, especially since it has only a weak, ‘minimal’ fortress defense of 5,000 men and a few artillery pieces.

HOWEVER

Four days later, on November 15th, our artillery force captures and annihilates Nurnberg, in Ansbach. On the following day we force Bavaria to be taken into our lands.

Result.

We simply over-whelmed them numerically and financially. Our artillery helped our forces to capture their cities with relative ease, though the conduct of our infantry was most disastrous. Losing at least two major battles at the start and end of the campaign. Had it not been for the fact that we could continue the war indefinitely they would have probably continued to wage war until their 14k army was slaughtered.

My destiny as leader of Austria from now on is to wage war and take out the remaining German principalities of Saxony, Thurgien, The Palatinat & perhaps others (most of them being in some sort of complex inter-woven alliance..). Incorporate them into my lands and create a new super-power in central-west Europe; next to France, Poland and Turkey to the South. With the help of Spain (who will no doubt share my spoils), it is a holy  mission that can be accomplished!

Combine all the Germans into a unified state under the Austrian Emperor!

End of Part 3

Post some pictures please.

What are the Ottomans doing?

Why aren't they interfering more in your grand scheme?

Can't wait till everyone in Germany declares themselves as Protestants and your whole contry collapses in on itself, that should be interesting.

Sapura,
Even more kudos to you for knowing how to pick your fights and more importantly, to win them! :) Did your alliance with Spain take a hit because you declined their offer of assistance in this campaign? Futhermore, would they have been able to offer any assistance to you at all?

Whats Turkey been doing?

Do you consider yourself under any type of long term strategic threat from any other nations?

Just how powerful is Poland? Ive noticed youve expressed a type of fear about Polands diplomatic relations with your enemies.

[This message has been edited by Field_Marshal (edited 10-08-2000).]

Dragon,

I can't post them myselt. All pix have to go through Paradox first, before they can be posted. Legal things :) Since Johan is busy being whipped into a frenzy by the powers that be, at this time, he hasn't had the time to check them and upload them so they can be made available by me in the forum as yet. Check some other pix for references though, if you're getting confused with the province (god knows I would be :) ).

What are the Ottomans doing?
Why aren't they interfering more in your grand scheme?

Heh don't forget the future of Austria has already been written in this AAR :) The Ottomans never did bother me. After this there's Spanish betrayal, French wars, wholescale invasions of Austria by 1/2 of Europe which are only stopped by our crafty (and rich) diplomats, followed by invasions of Poland <G>. Sorry, couldnt' help myself!

Jim,

Did your alliance with Spain take a hit because you declined their offer of assistance in this campaign?

Nah I don't think that matters at all. I think the Spaniards were happy not to be bothered with one of our miniscule wars for once.

DK,

You mentioned that Poland's alliances with Italian states might have been prompted by your expansion. Have any of the German states become similarly concerned?

Umm, (tries to recollect). Actually, I think so yes. Later on my offensive changes to the east rather than the n.w because of some very strong resistance by the German states.

That is, their defensive fortifications are quickly increased, followed by several strong alliances built for the specific purpose of keeping me at a distance. With the Spaniards I could have achieved at least partial control of some of the HRE, but they betrayed me, which left me in big, big trouble - bastards.

Fieldy,

Whats Turkey been doing?

From what I recall, quiet as a mouse, and no DK, this is not a reflection of the poor intelligence of the Turkish a.i ;)

Do you consider yourself under any type of long term strategic threat from any other nations?

Oh, even the Swedes will have a go at me..

Just how powerful is Poland? Ive noticed youve expressed a type of fear about Polands diplomatic relations with your enemies.

Powerful enough. You'll see what happens as regards to Poland in Parts 6 & 7. They're very stubborn bastards thats for sure. Almost as stubborn as a real life Pole playing Poland, which makes me happy :)

I'll tell you one thing, an alliance with the Muscovites helps lots..

Sapura