• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(23)

Modérâleur
Jan 19, 2000
Visit site
I decided to continue to give you an AAR of my current game with England.

I stopped the first AAR at May 21, 1498.
See my previous post to know what happened.
And here is what happened the following years (to make a detailed AAR, I set the game speed to 1 mn for 2 months).

August 15, 1498 : I lower the pay of the soldiers and sailors. Truce with France will last some years and I don't need to pay them fully anymore.

August 18, 1498 : Hannover joins my alliance. That could lead me to a war in northern Germany but it can also be worthy against Spain.

August 20, 1498 : I entered a Royal Mariage with Scotland. I want to keep them out of England politics and dissuade them to attack me (I have absolutely no army in England at that time). I was a bit surprised Scots agreed. Maybe do they fear my armies ?

August 22, 1498 : Cabot, with 3 ships, leaves Plymouth in search of the lands Spain discovered years ago.
Investments in military are reduced to the profit of trade and infrastructure.

Turkey stability is slowly degrading, down now to 0. I think they are refusing good but disadvantageous peace offers from their multiples ennemies which led to such degradation.

Savoy brought a strong 21k men army in Emilia (Naples territory). Naples army seem sunable to defeat Savoy even when they outnumbered the invaders. Savoy probably has a good leader there.

The upcoming years, for me, will be the gathering of enough funds to repay ly loans and fortify my position in France.

April 5, 1499 : Spain brings 34k men in Roussillon, bordering France.

July 14, 1499 : 26k frenchmen lands in Italy ! They assault Emilia fortress beside Savoy troops. The city is captured but control is left to Savoy.
To transport so many soldiers, France should have sent its fleet in Mediterranea.
I bet it. Save the french ships obviously didn't sink.

September 10, 1499 : Naples' army defeats the french in Romagna. The frenchmen loose half of their men in that battle. 50k Naples soldiers are in Romagna, ready to reconquer Emilia.

October 15, 1499 : I begin to strengthen London and Bordeaux fortifications.
French indemnities and peace provides me a constant flux of gold to the English treasury.

October 18, 1499 : France brought 47k men in Languedoc, facing the 34k Spaniards in Roussillon, on the other side of the border.

October 20, 1499 ; After a serie of skirmishes and small batlles in Romagna, Naples crushed the invaders might. Savoy doesn't have any living soldiers there now and France only have 2k left who retreated into the Emilia fortress, still under Savoy control.

Mameluks slowly invade Turkey. Georgia capital still hold against Crimea and Turkey troops.
France is now going to engage more and more troops against Naples. 86k men are gathered along the Mediterranean coast. I praise the Lord to be at peace with France. I couldn't stand such a military force !
I am impressed by the quick recovery of the french army.
Venice and Turkey are now fighting in Greece. Kosovo and Albania are under Venice control, Bosnia is also besieged by Venice.

I will have no problem to repay my second loan. I decide to let Ireland still unprotected to concentrate on the development of internal revenues.
Cabot discovered a way to America but I only have sea maps. The land is still unknown for me.

May 13, 1500 : a Savoy-France army defeat Naples army in Romagna, which was three times larger.
Ancona is besieged.

May 17, 1500 : Bosnia fell under Venice control. Venetian defeat the Turkish reflief army in Kosovo. Spain lands in Albania.

June 28, 1500 : I strengthen the fortifications of Caux.

July 14, 1500 : Naples accept peace with Savoy and loose Emilia. France and Naples are still at war tho.

August 1, 1500 : I repay my first loan.

August 16, 1500 : Spanish army of Albania is crushed in Macedonia by Turks. Venice heads to Bulgaria.

October 19, 1500 : The Île Royale is discovered by Cabot. The island is close to the coast and seem to fit well for a small colony. I will exploit there wood for naval supplies and send a hundred of men to create a settlement.

October 24, 1500 : Cabot died. At least, this adventurer gave me a strong help to lead my fleet during the war. His subsequent discoveries are mainly unusable being only a bunch of sea lanes. Lawton, Cabot's lieutenant, leads the 2 remaining ships back to England.

November 28, 1500 : 33k Turks assault Nish, in Kosovo and free the city from Venice. Damn, will Turks ever accept a peace ??
Turkey is constantly at war since almost 8 years now and still keep every ennemies at bay.

December 18, 1500 : A severe political crisis is striking the Kingdom ! Henry VII, my King, is facing many internal hostility by nobles and merchants. Stability decreases a lot (from +3 to 0 !) and the government is locked in squabbling (all monarchs value set to 2).

The political crisis is severe. It will take years to recover from it. Until I can raise my stability to +3 again, I won't be able to attack France again to continue to reclaim English rights.
That set me in a defensive state against France, which I really dislike.
Needless to say that my european diplomacy will suffer a lot from that internal, political fight.
I dreamed to form a strong alliance against France around 1503-1504 for the next war. I doubt I can convince anyone to join an alliance wich such an unstable government like mine...
A dark hour for the kingdom.

France begins a massive fortification effort througout the country. Eastern provinces are fortified as well as Normandy.

January 29, 1501 : Russia enters war with Kazan

February 1, 1501 : Caux peasants led by some french nobles revolt. A consequence of the current weakness of the english crown.

February 12, 1501 : French peasants defeat the small 9k army in Caux (the troops who garrisoned Paris during the war). At least, my fleet is in the channel to allow the survivors to flee. Rouen is besieged by the french peasants. The fortification upgrading effort is wasted, stopped by the siege.
Gascogne and especially Navarre are on the verge of revolting too.

February 14, 1501 : Naples accepts peace with France, paying indemnities.

June 7, 1501 : I have reports saying that Irishmen are dreaming to revolt too.
I reluctantly order to reduce taxes, investments and everything draining country ressources to the Crown to raise my stability.

June 17, 1501 : Kazan accept its defeat against Russia. Lipetsk province is lost to Russia.

July 16, 1501 : Turkey agrees to give Bosnia to Venice as a peace conditions. Georgia is evacuated by Muslims forces, saved by that peace.

August 1, 1501 : Calais revolts. The Spanish garrison there is forced to fight and is destroyed (why are there still Spaniards at Calais ? Remember the war Spain declared to Turkey in 1493 ? I joined Spain in the war. So, this war is still going. Being at war with Turkey, Spaniards are allowed to enter my territory, as allies, to fight our common ennemies).

September 6, 1501 : Hungary declares war to Wallachia, Turkey's vassal
Spain brought more troops (at last) to Dobrudja (Turkey. Along the Black Coast) to begin a true siege.

December 11, 1501 : Norfolk, called from Gascogne with his army, crushed the french peasant revolt of Caux. Now Calais.

I have to repay my last loan. That won't be a problem.
But the country was badly hit by the political crisis and I am still vulnerable to internal collapsing and nationalistic revolts (Navarre and Ireland).
My plans to continue the war in France are compromised.
France, now at peace, is gathering armies at Paris and Amiens and continues to fortify the country.

January 8, 1502 : Wallachia is annexed by Hungary. A bad political choice. Wallachia only has one province and the war was obviously destined to add it to Hungarian territory.
Currently Turkey is struggling against both Spain and Mameluks and not a danger to Hungary. But if Turkey succeeds to go out of those wars unharmed or even victorious (still possible against Mameluks), it will become a threat for Hungary. But the Hungarian decision (the annexion) isolates the Hungarian Crown from the christian states (like I did when annexing Navarre). I doubt the Holy Emperor Maximilian of Austria approved the Hungarian decision.
The annexion of Wallachia doesn't seem to have consequences but there will be consequences... but later... when Hungary will need allies among Christians...

Turkey repelled Mameluks in Syria and invade Nuyssaybin.

January 22, 1502 : Norfolk crushed the rebellion in Calais.

January 27, 1502 : My attempt to create a settlement on Isle Royale failed.

May 13, 1502 : Turkey and Mameluks agree to make peace. Nuyssaybin becomes a Turkish province.

July 10, 1502 : Did Turkey think to be at peace one day ? While still at war with Spain (and me + Naples), a Persian ambassador arrived at Istanbul, saying Turkey and Persia are now at war. Allied with Persia are Nubia and Mameluks, allied with Turkey are now Algiers, Crimea and Cyrenaica.
The same day...
Sweden declares war to Denmark. France, Savoy and Scotland join the Swedish side.

I didn't know that Sweden and France were allied. That's a very very bad news.
Scotland is already a danger on my northern border but now, I'll probably have to take care of a Swedish landing in England if I go to war with France...

July 14, 1502 : Kazan declares war to the Golden Horde.

My stability slowly increased back to +2.
But the silly war I engaged against Turkey to preserve an alliance with Spain (which didn't honor it later) doesn't see to come close to the end. And it is a heavy weight on me.
I begin to consider a 'raid' against Turkey to force them to accept a peace. Problem is I have no naval base in the Mediterranean sea. However I can use Spanish ports.
But Turkey is far and attrition will hit both my naval force and land force.
Furthermore, revolts can appear now at anytime in France and Ireland and I need troops to crush them.
I am haunted by an Irish revolt. I decide to wait a bit more to create a second land force to be the expeditionnay corps against Turks.
The last of the unprotected provinces in England are fortified.

Persia entered Turkey and besiege several fortresses. Turkey conquer Aleppo province from the Mameluks and continue on Lebanon.
Skane is conquered by Sweden, Gotland being besieged.

May 30, 1503 : Vorones is lost by Kazan who accept its defeat against Golden Horde.

March 1, 1503 : Caux is revolting again. This time, the rebels managed to enter and control Rouen.

July 3, 1503 : Norfolk defeated the peasants in Caux and successfully assaulted the town. But the province is ruined by the fights and Norfolk lost 4000 men is the battle and siege.

September 1503 : the battle is fierce between Turkey, Persia and Mameluks around Nuyssaybin, Aleppo, Syria and Lebanon provinces. Turkey expelled Persians armies from their country and are attacking Syria. Persia continues to attack Nuyssaybin.

September 27, 1503 : Crimea accepts peace with Persia and loose a province.

My stability reached again its maximum. Four years wasted because of the crisis.
But the 'war' against Turkey has to be concluded. I decide to muster an expeditionnary corps to force the Muslims to peace. Norfolk is in charge of the mission.
16k men are trained while Norfolk embarks at Plymouth.
Those damn Spaniards succeeded to drag me into their war against Turkey...

January 7, 1504 : Turkey accepts peace with persia and loose Nuyssaybin.

February 13, 1504 : a Turkish raiding detachment lands in Gascogne ! They are not numerous enough to besiege Bordeaux. I decide to ignore them. An evil grin comes to my face when I imagine the Turks facing angry french peasants.

April 3, 1504 : Algiers declares war to Morocco.

May 5, 1504 : Commodore Lawrence's fleet meets a Turkish fleet near Cadiz. His 21 warships fleet is outnumbered. It's a disaster. 5 warships are sunk and he retreats hastily in the Spanish port. No losses on the Turk side. I wish Cabot to be here.
Norfolk and his army land in Spain as a consequence. 6k soldiers died during the naval battle, their transporting ships being sunk.

I decide to join the divided english fleet into Spain. The second fleet will carry the 16k men recently recruited to strengthen Norfolk army.
It's a very risky move but I need them to force Turkey to peace after the disastrous naval battle.

October 15, 1504 : To prevent the second fleet to be intercepted by Turks, I decide to move Commodore Lawrence fleet out of Cadiz. The Turkish fleet is still there and a battle occures.
The second fleet from England joins the battle soon after.
It's a victory but I lost 6 more warships for minimal losses on the Turkish side...

I decide to pursue the Turkish fleet after having entered Cadiz to allow the soldiers to disembark. Commodore Hartpool is in charge of the pursuit.
Norfolk now leads 29k men, at Cadiz.

December 14, 1504 : third naval battle against Turkey, occuring in the Gibraltar strait. Again a victory but I lost 5 warships and a transport. Minimal losses on the Turkish side.

The whole project of 'raiding' Turkey to force them to peace is compromised and abandonned.
Norfolk's troops are divided in two. One half going through Spain to go to Gascogne and wipe out the Turks raiders, the other half going back to England. I have not really the choice as I lost too many ships to transport the whole english army in Spain now.

I am still locked in the war against Turkey. I lost so many ships in the 3 naval battles for absolutely no gain.
Turjey refused many many peace offers througout the previous years. Why should they have accepted ?
I didn't move against them until last year.
That lasting war, begun more than ten years ago, is also compromising my plans in France.
If France counterattack now, I'll be in SERIOUS trouble.

Sweden and Denmark still at war. Denmark being on the loosing side but can reverse the wheel of fortune.

15k men are mustered in London.

January 2, 1505 : Spain landed raiding detachments in Turkey. But almost immediately caught in battle, they don't have enough strength to efficiently besiege something...

January 26, 1505 : a revolt occurs in Spanish Lowlands ! If Spain could begin to consider to end the war against Turkey...

April 30, 1505 : Norfolk enter Gascogne with his army and engages the battle with Turks.

May 10, 1505 : During one of the skirmishes against Turks in France, Norfolk is killed by the ennemy !

He will be buried with the highest honor...
I lost my only good army officer...

May 15, 1505 : As a side consequence, the army in Gascogne now under command of Colonel Warwick is demoralized by the loss of their beloved leader and retreat from Gascogne into Spain. Turks are still in Gascogne but only a handful of them.

June 3, 1505 : Turkish raiders decide to pursue Warwick in Spain, entering Roussillon.
Ok... 40k Spaniards are there too beside Warwick troops...

June 20, 1505 : The foolish Turks raiders died in Roussillon.
I decide to move 14k men into Ireland.

July 1, 1505 : Navarre is revolting. Warwick troops, still in Roussillon, are sent to crush them as they are besieging San Sebastian.

August 11, 1505 : Morocco accepts its defeat and gives back Atlas to Algiers.

September 2, 1505 : Warwick army defeats the rebellion in Navarre but lost 3000 men.

November 24, 1505 : Spain gathered enough troops to efficiently besiege Rumelia, in Turkey. At last !!! I curse the Spanish bloodline until the end of the world.

Quick checking of the Spanish fleets showed that Spain won't rule the seas too. That probably explain their difficulties to send many soldiers on Turkey territory.
If they met quite often the Turkish fleet who crushed mine...

Gosh...
My fleet is the shadow of its former self, thanks to Turks. Norfolk died. I didn't succeed to create a settlement on Isle Royale, I'm still at war.

I expect God to send me a plague or something close soon...

My efforts will be now to rebuild the english fleet. I still not have forgotten my claimings in France.
I won't battle Turkey again. Too far, to tough.
I let to Spain the duty to end the war.

But I'm also considering to offer a tribute to Turkey to go out of the war. Don't know yet. My pride refuses such a thought.

April 1, 1506 : Navarre is revolting again. Warwick troops fight the rebels. But San Sebastian joined the rebellion and the city is now hostile to me. Warwick, after having (with difficulties) crushed the rebels, begins to besiege the city.

April 2, 1506 : Poland declares war to the Teutonic Order, joined by France, Savoy and Scotland (not Sweden, who disagree to support the Poles claimings). The Order has the Hanseatic league and Portugal as allies.

June 4, 1506 : Sweden won the war against Denmark, receiving Narvik and Ostlandet.

June 5, 1506 : Spain and Lowlands rebels are fighting. The Hague was captured by the rebels.

August 21, 1506 : Spain captured the Dobrudja province from Turkey and moves again in Rumelia where Spaniards were previously expelled by a Turk counterattack.

August 30, 1506 : Turks land once more in Italy, besieging Ancona, the capital of Romagna, a Naples province.

November 21, 1506 : The Hansa accepts peace with Poland which receive Eastern and Western Pomerania from the Hansa as well as indemnities.

November 22, 1506 : Ancona fell. The Turks captured the city.

December 11, 1506 : This time, it is the artisans who are shouting about the King policy. Investments suffer a lot once more from their move.

What can I say... People are angry, the land is poor. They also begin to loose interest into regaining our lost lands in France (the 'Conquer...' mission is now no more linked to french territories). They, righlty, begin to have ressentments towards Spain (the mission is now linked to Flandres, a Spanish territory). I understand them...
I thought to continue the Hundred years war against France... But maybe that new Hundred years war is against Turkey...

The english fleet is slowly rebuild. The 'raid on Turkey' adventure costed me a lot...

Around the Baltic, Poland has difficulties against the Order who still resist its might.

Februray 15, 1507 : 4000 recruits from Gascogne are sent to Warwick who is unable to put an end to the San Sebastian siege.

April 27, 1507 : Poland captures the city of Dorpat, capital of the Teutonic Order, in Livonia. Poles have now to free Estonia, conquered by the Order.
Portugal and France don't seem to fight each other.

May 7, 1507 : The remains of the Order army, 8000 men, are slaughtered in Livonia by a 60k Polish army.

May 21, 1507 : The Order sues for peace. Poland accept and receives a god amount of gold as indemnities. The best gain for Poland was the conquest of two Hansa provinces in fact.

Spanish raiding parties are roamong along the Black Coast and in Greece. Turkey is mustering troops.

June 11, 1507 : Warwick launches an assault on San Sebastian with the newly arrived reinforcements.

June 13, 1507 : Spain defeat Turkey in Bujak, along the Poland-Turkey border and set siege to the fortress.

July 13, 1507 : Warwick lost 3000 men but enter San Sebastian, victorious.

July 22, 1507 : A Spanish raiding party defeats Turks in Thrace, near Istanbul but continues to move northward, probably to join the force besieging Bujak.

September 30, 1507 : Lorraine declares war to the Palatinate, one of my allies.
Naples and Hannover dishonor the alliance while Helvetia agrees to fight the Lorrains. I also enter the war to keep the lead of the alliance and send diplomats to N Hannover to convince them to join the alliance again. I can't do the same with Naples which is a Spanish vassal and is tied to the Spanish Crown.

October 20, 1507 : Turkey wipe out the Spanish raiding parties and besige Dobrudja, under Spanish control.

Lorraine troops move to Helvetia's mountains.

November 17, 1507 : Russia declares war to Kazan.

Lorraine troops are defeated in Alsace by Helvetia. The capital of Lorraine, Metz, is besieged by the germans.

December 1507 : Reports say that 200 000 frenchmen are between the Channel coast and Paris. Me or Spain ? Who will be the future ennemy ?

December 1, 1507 : Lorraine counterattacks in Alsace and defeat the Swiss army.

I think the only choice I have is to wait for the end of the war between Spain and Turkey. Then, I'll be able to consider a new war against France.
I rebuild most of my ships in the 3 disastrous battle against Turkey. I'll need more to be sure to fight efficiently in France. As long as I can prevent France to land in England, there won't be trouble.
The last war landing of France in Anglia surprised me. Not having meet the french fleet during months let me think that either the frenchmen lost their fleet, either it was in Mediterrenean Sea. Their fleet probably was but they brought some ships back to the Channel, enough to land in Anglia.
I want two mighty fleets.

January 7, 1508 : the first Irish revolt, in Meath. They are easily crushed by my garrison.

Cabot ? Cabot again ? Oh no... Not the same, of course.
He is also an explorer ? He is.

I consider the possibility to find vauables ressources in America to fuel my war in France. I send him sailing to the west.

Lorraine invaded Helvetia and is besieging Mainz. Metz, its capital, is still besieged by the germans of the Palatinate. But if they managed a victory against Swiss in the Alps, they can win the war.
Damn... Lorraine is going to win against my allies... And I can't help.

Dobrudja is under Turks control again.

January 20, 1508 : Lorraine defeated the Swiss army on their own territory.

March 11, 1508 : Kazan is defeated by Russia and loose Ryazan.

April 1508 : various revolts in Spanish controlled lands. Lowlands, Franche Comté are revolting regularly but still defeated by the Spaniards.

May 30, 1507 : Metz is captured by the Palatinate and Lorraine accepts peace, paying indemnities to the germans. Zürich and Mainz were besieged by the Lorrains. It was close...

September 2, 1508 : second Irish revolt, in Ulster this time. The city is not walled and is seized by the rebels. I move the Ireland garrison to Ulster and slaughter the rebels.

The war I am engaged with Turkey, how silly it can be, still prevent me to attack France again.

I decide to develop the country a bit, to fortify it. It's not really a 'peace during which you prepare war' but I behave as if it was...

I fortify Leinster in Ireland and promote Baillifs in Anglia and Lancashire.
English merchants begin to seriously contest Genoa monopoly in western Mediterranea.

February 26, 1509 : Turks land once again in Malta and besiege the fortress.

March 9, 1509 : France wants revenge and declares war to England, quickly joined by Sweden and Scotland !
Every allies I could have dishonor the alliance.
I'm alone to face three threatening countries.

I'm calling every troops available (roughly 30k) back to England to face the Scots. My fleet sails to Navarre to allow the 8k men army of Warwick to escape the French wrath.
95k frenchmen are heading to Rouen.

I take a loan and recruit 12k more men in Anglia.

April 10, 1509 : Rouen fell under the might of the french army.

April 12, 1509 : Newcastle is besieged by Scotland.

April 22, 1509 : Bordeaux is besieged by France.

A Turkish army (22k men) lands in Roussillon, defeats the Spaniards and is heading to my french lands.

May 1, 1509 : few days before my rescuing fleet arrives at San Sebastian, Navarre revolts once more, engaging Warwick troops.

May 13, 1509 : 14k english engage the battle with 29k scots who were assaulting Newcastle. 5 000 men died on each side and I was victorious.
40k more Scots are heading south to the Marches...

I have to defend my own country which is seriously threatened.
I take another loan to muster troops the faster I can.

I raise the taxes rate. People are complaining.

June 3, 1509 : Warwick managed to crush the Navarre rebellion. 17k french are heading to San Sebastian. Bordeaux fell. Calais is under siege. The Scots engaged my weak army in the Marches. Then, the Turks engaged Warwick troops while they are embarking. Warwick is defeated by the outnumbering Muslims and retreat into Spain.
The rescuing fleet receive the orders to go back to England.

June 4, 1509 : My fleet engages Turks ships on the french coast. I won but took some losses

June 7, 1509 : Colonel Suffolk won the battle against Scots in the Marches ! His 6k army defeated 30k Scots !
But he has less than 2000 men under his command and the next wave of screaming Scots is coming.

June 10, 1509 : Naples pays indemnities to Turkey and succeed to go out of that nasty war. Maybe should I have pay tribute to Turks months ago...

June 22, 1509 : on his way back to England, my fleet is engaged by the french fleet. Both fleets have almost the same strength by the morale of mine didn't recover fully from the battle against Turks.
I expect the worst.

June 25, 1509 : It's a very seriously threatened country, weakened, invaded, with debts that Henry VII left. He died that day. His son take the throne.

June 28, 1509 : English nobles don't like Henry VIII more than Henry VII and another political crisis occurs, sending my stability back to the abyss (not really but 0 again, a very bad news at this time).

July 1, 1509 : oh ? A good news ? My fleet, despite what I thought, won the naval battle against the Frenchs.

July 25, 1509 : Henry VIII reforms the country, win the trust of both merchants and artisans and succeed to calm down the english nobles (+1 to stability, boost to investments, one of the King traits is 'organized').

August 17, 1509 : French flag floats over Calais.

August 23, 1509 : a rescuing army coming from Anglia defeats the Scots assaulting Newcastle and falls back to Lancashire where I am gathering an army including half of the Ireland garrison and new recruits.

August 25, 1509 : France sent an ambassador to London and, as peace condition, wants Calais, Caux, Gascogne and indemnities.
As answer, I gave to the french ambassador a ticket to go on the next ship leaving to France.

September 2, 1509 : once more, Scots are defeated in the Marches. 30k men are going to form the army which will be sent to teach how hard is the english wrath to Scots. They are every soldiers I have...
(save a tiny garrison in Ireland and Warwick with 6k survivors who is hiding into Spain)

October 1509 : my fleet begins to patrol all around England. Swedish ships were seen.

I survived to the Scot invasion and plan to force them to peace. I am not sure I want to try to conquer a province from them or just force them to peace by capturing Glasgow.
First, the ever-war against Turkey is still occuring. It was my main problem, which led me in that disastrous situation.
Second, even if I win a quick war against Scots, I'm not going to land in France soon. I don't have enough troops mustered.

So, I decide to conquer a part of Scotland.
I trust my fleet to prevent any landing in England.

Henri VIII is praying every day, asking God to prevent Irishmen to massively revolt...

February 2, 1510 : France limits its peace conditions to Caux and minor indemnities. Aargh...
If I refuse, I am going to raise a wave of unrest in the country (loosing 1 point of stability because the peace offered is fair).

My army in Scotland was engaging the ennemy near Glasgow... and was loosing... and hardly...

I have to accept, I have no choice... and I accept... Reluctantly, but I accept.

Caux becomes french again.

February 24, 1509 : the Turks who entered Gascogne are now besieging Perpignan, in Spanish Roussillon.

Oh God, make one of either Spain or Turkey loose but can that war stop !!!

April 10, 1510 : A settlement is created on Isle Royale. I don't even raise an eyebrow at such 'good news'.
The news rapidly spread across Europe and as a consequence, the treaty of Tordesillas is signed, giving to Spain and Portugal ultimate rights on the known world out of europe and even not yet discovered lands.

April 20, 1510 : Persia attacks Iraq. To its side are fighting Venice, Mameluks and... Spain ! who obviously were convinced by Venetians to join the alliance.
Tunisia is the only Iraqi ally.

July 15, 1510 : the Muslims of southern Spain revolt. Lowlands are still ravaged by rebellions. But Spain continues the war.

October 4, 1510 : Perpignan is conquered by Turks who head again to Gascogne. Navarre english garrison goes through Spain to stop them.

October 30, 1510 : Bordeaux is besieged by Turks.

December 17, 1510 : Turks slaughtered my rescuing army.

December 21, 1510 : 4th Irish revolt. Dublin is controlled by Irishmen. My weak garrison move from Leinster to Meath.
I order my fleet to transport the remnants of the battered english army to Gascogne...

I am still waiting for the plague.

End of the year.

End of this AAR.

Victory points at the beginning of 1511

Spain 400 (297 from economy, discoveries and colonial establishment)
England 300 (119 from missions (conquering parts of France, keeping them), 114 from battles)
Poland 190 (76 from battles, 60 from missions)
Portugal 189 (163 from economy, discoveries and colonial establishment)
Venice 113 (42 from missions)
Persia 107 (46 from battles)
Sweden 104 (71 from battles)

Just for info, I received 19 VPs for my economic management. The worst of every country listed for VPs.

Come back in few days for the next part of this AAR.

Pierre
EU, Beta test team

Salut Pierre, excellent AAR! I think you should have gotten your hands off the Turks early on as you have said, it probably wasnt worth the effort... btw, quick question about discoveries, what's the difference between the sea maps and land maps, as far as obtaining them is concerned? i mean, you'd think that once you hear land-ahoy, you would have a place to make landfall? also, what's the naval tech required to explore the world? could you have gone for Africa or Asia instead of Americas? can't wait for the third installment, good luck on getting Caux back...

Good stuff, my fellow beta testing comrade!

I thought Part 1 was going to be your final ever aar ? <G> ;)

The bug has caught you my French son! It won't let go now!

Cod Sandwitch:

what's the difference between the sea maps and land maps, as far as obtaining them is concerned?

In EU, there is no difference. You recieve both land and sea maps. Whether this is part of an act of covert thievery (an actual random event...) or as part of a diplomatic exercise by which you and your fellow country swap for each others maps .. Was quite chipper when my Polish thiefs managed to attain an over 1000 province map from France some months back. Made me happier than a sumo at a McDonalds'

Sapura

[This message has been edited by Sapura (edited 08-10-2000).]

Originally posted by tuna:
I think you should have gotten your hands off the Turks early on as you have said, it probably wasnt worth the effort...

I never imagined that the war between Turks and Spain could last so long.
I tried an expedition to force Turkey to accept a peace and it ended to a naval disaster.
I began to consider to pay them tribute to get out of the war but hesitated too much.
I was then caught in the second war against France, took loans and there will be a financial problem in the forthcoming years... :)
Paying tribute to Turkey would cost me 250 D more...

Concerning the loans, I played and lost.
I wanted to muster a large army to defeat Scots and won a province from them.
And this army was going to be hardly beaten near Glasgow. And when France offered a 'fair' peace, it was the end.
It was :
either not taking any loans, staying in England and defending with ships and with one army against Scots, waiting for years if needed to raise large armies to go back in France
either taking the loans, crushing the Scots, forcing them to peace and pay some indemnities and then wait.

The second option sounded more attractive. Scots would have pay a part of my loan, I could have gain a province and mustered earlier an army.

I lost everything with the defeat at Glasgow and the 'fair' peace offer. :)

Pierre

sapura: thanks for the explanation, i think i'll go ahead with the stealing option as well =)

pierre: speaking of loans, is there an interest rate on them?(adjusted by inflation)
not that i ever plan to play as England, but it seems to me that trying to hold on to continental possesions isnt worth the effort, has anyone ever managed to subdue France completely as England? btw, i was glad to see Scotland active at last, it's one of the minors i'll definitely play with

Originally posted by tuna:
speaking of loans, is there an interest rate on them?(adjusted by inflation)

not that i ever plan to play as England, but it seems to me that trying to hold on to continental possesions isnt worth the effort, has anyone ever managed to subdue France completely as England?

btw, i was glad to see Scotland active at last, it's one of the minors i'll definitely play with

Yes, there is an interest rate on loans. Minimum 10%. The more loans you take, the higher the interest rates. The rates also increase if you extend the loan instead of repaying it.

Not worthy to try to get a hold on continental possessions ? No, it is. You can receive many victory points by fighting in France. The missions 'Conquer Gascogne', 'Keep Calais' are worthy. Remember my VPs at the end of part I : 146 VPs for me, 147 for Spain. They are from the mission and the battles I engaged to fulfill those missions.
I failed in part II to stick to Spain's VPs but remember I was hit by two political crisis, two events reducing investments and there was that war against Turkey...
Just imagine the same game without the two crisis. Can't you consider I would be able to keep my possessions and even challenge again the french for further gains ?

Concerning Scotland... It's like every minor in game.
During the beta, we compared our game experience and concluded there is no absolute rule in EU concerning minor, events or who do what.
That makes each EU game different from the other :)
Scotland was active in this game. Maybe in next, it won't be.

Pierre

Great, pierre. This should teach those who fear that 'the AI is so easy to beat'. I understand now why your fury against the French: I din't know anything about those missions in France. I hope you manage to win this game, because you deserve that.

Conquer the nasty Scots in the next fight and unify Britain under your rule. Later, give Frenchys a lesson they'll never forget.

/Laruku