• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(13)

Banned
Jan 12, 2000
Visit site
France and Poland mainly. You can see the terrible devistation / loss of territory that both countries suffered as you progress further until the last 2 pics. The 'dark' patch in Poland is an independent Ukraine. Not exactly a good position to be in eh ..
Also Polish Wallachia in 1633 pic, after 'fall of Constantinople' the victorious war against the Ottomans. After that to 1680 everything went absolutely crazy..

sap8.jpg

sap9.jpg

sap10.jpg

[This message has been edited by Sapura (edited 30-07-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Sapura (edited 30-07-2000).]

Dear Sap,

First of all, many, many congratulations for the brilliant work done! Not only more pictures, but also an all-European evolution of events! Ah, this is the work of a genius! Again, congratulations, but... there are some questions I would like to ask, and I would be very grateful to you if you could clarify these doubts for me.

1. I have seen that some coastal provinces have something that looks like a cogwheel. Could this be a fortified port?

2. I have also noticed that around the European map there are uncharted white-coloured areas. Is this Terra Incognita? And if that is the case, how can one push backwards these areas of darkness and uncertainty?

3. All the pictures you have included show Europe. What has happened in the rest of the world? Besides, the original BG had an Europe map and a Rest-of-the-World map (with a somewhat smaller scale). Is this arrangement maintained in the CG, or is it all just an enormous map with the same scale?

4. I take it that the game map is round, of course. Am I right?

5. I was surprised that the Hapsburgs (i.e., Spain) did not inherit Austria, which was then left to the mercy of the Turks. Have you ever seen Spain acquiring Milano, Austria, Bohemia and Hungary (as happened in reality). I have also noticed that when the Dutch Revolt event takes place, the Southern Netherlands (aka Flanders) are also swept by the event. Did this happen because the Spaniards were unable to reinforce Flanders before losing it to the Dutch?

I have troubled you enough with these questions, so I will not write any more of them. Once again, many thanks to you and to Johan for including these pictures here.

Kind regards to all.

Martin (from Barcelona)

Martin,

Glad that you have enjoyed the pics and the timeline so far..

1. I have seen that some coastal provinces have something that looks like a cogwheel. Could this be a fortified port?

Ports are displayed in silver and can only build a few ships at a time, shipyards are in gold and can build lots of ships at a time. When the anchor becomes a wheelrudder, it contains a navy. The rudder spins when a navy is under construction. A lock indicates the prot/shipyard is under blockade.

Is this Terra Incognita? And if that is the case, how can one push backwards these areas of darkness and uncertainty?

The blank areas are Terra Incognita, yes. The best way to push back these areas is with a Conquisator.. / you also establish trading ports and simple forts to begin with in these provinces from which they can become quite powerful provinces -- given enough time and after you kill / pacify the natives.

3. All the pictures you have included show Europe. What has happened in the rest of the world?

It's there, I just haven't bothered taking snapshots of it because ..

a) I wanted to show you guys how Europe 'progresses' in stages ..

b) many of those areas are unable to be seen by me unless I exchange discoveries with a friendly country exposing that area .. for example Australasia etc..

4. I take it that the game map is round, of course. Am I right?

Umm, I don't know, have never bothered to look .. it's basically a flat square I think. Someone correct me if I'm wrong..

5. I was surprised that the Hapsburgs (i.e., Spain) did not inherit Austria, which was then left to the mercy of the Turks. Have you ever seen Spain acquiring Milano, Austria, Bohemia and Hungary (as happened in reality).

Well, if you also remember the Jagiellons actually controlled Bohemia and Hungary up till 1526. Despite this Bohemia and Hungary are not tied together with Poland (i.e vassalge or whatever..) simply because it would create too much wealth for the country making it too powerful. This would be the same for the Spanish, they are already very powerful as it is.

Discussions have taken place (instigated by me), as to whether the Poles should have control or hold vassalage over those territories.. ppl have put forward some answers as to how to make this work w/o causing gameplay instability, but alas I doubt there'll be enough time to implement.

There's a huge amount of stuff to 'get right' in a game such as this .. not everthing can be 101% perfect. I too would like a hegemony over that region under the Jagiellons. Though it maybe historically accurate, it's just not feasable in this game. Still, Austria and Spain shares a very close bond and can freely move their troops through their territory even if not allied. Besides which you can always vassalize and peacefully encorporate Austria into your realms after a certain amount of time ..

Sapura

I noticed that when the Dutch Revolt event takes place, the Southern Netherlands (aka Flanders) are also swept by the event. Did this happen because the Spaniards were unable to reinforce Flanders before losing it to the Dutch?

Historically, the southern Netherlands ( and not just Flanders, but the wallonian provinces as well) joined the rebellion at the start. Spanish military successes in the South and the fear of the Catholic Nobility from the south to be dominated by the Calvinist merchants from the North( botht the class and religious problems were equally severe) from the north. After about 10 years of revolt the Wallonian provinces decided to choose the side of Spain, and the Flemish provinces were conquered by the Spanish....

So if in game Spain wasn't able to reinforce in the south, it could very well have been that at least flanders would have joined the Dutch Union at that time, and perhaps the Wallonian provinces as well....

Marc, the Dutch Guy

Sapura,

It was a great idea to post these screenshots since they give some visual context to the AAR's. Frankly, I wasn't too familiar with some of the province names, so this was very helpful.

A few questions about the small screens located on the left of the primary screen. The shot of Mazovia shows a isometric view of a town; what's its intent? Can you do anything with it (i.e. create colonists/traders/merchants) or does it only represent the general size of the town (similar to the cityview screen in Civ II). Does the shirt mean that you have a garment factory in this province? What do the numbers 31 and 12 (which flank the shirt on the left and right, respectively) represent?

I don't want to appear too obsessed with such minutia, but in any game with a GUI (which is everyting), the screen layout makes the difference between a mindless clickfest and being able to focus on strategy.

Marc,

I noticed that when the Dutch Revolt event takes place, the Southern Netherlands (aka Flanders) are also swept by the event. Did this happen
because the Spaniards were unable to reinforce Flanders before losing it to the Dutch?

This is correct. Rebel armies beganin the north and then moved almost unopposed to the southern provinces. The Spanish could have gone about the civil war better by landing more troops via the coast. But they were busy with overseas wars and most probably Portugal or France.

Jim,

The shot of Mazovia shows a isometric view of a town; what's its intent? Can you do anything with it (i.e. create colonists/traders/merchants) or does it only represent the general size of the town..

a) It shows the size of the town .. and its architecture (obviously..)
b) you can click on various 'buildings' and things to get quick general info and such like.

Does the shirt mean that you have a garment factory in this province? What do the numbers 31 and 12 (which flank the shirt on the left and right, respectively) represent?

The shirt ..means that cloth is the major commodity in this province, meaning that you can get special bonuses when building particular manufactories in this province if it has this or that commodity..

The number on the left represents the sum total of: province taxes, production incomes & trade taxes.

The number on the right represents the amount the provinces generates in its COT (center of trade).

Clicking on the 'shirt' or highlighting the numbers gives you a huge amount of information .. any economists and microeconomists will love it :~)

Not to worry about that, in my opinion everything is set out quite well, besides which you can set the speed at which time passes (e.g. 1 yr = xx mins), + you can pause the game at any time and issue commands.
Besides which you can customize some of the menus and things as well..

Sapura

Originally posted by Count_M:
Sapura,

Great Pics. I noticed that their is a shield with the polish flag on it in many of your provinces but not all. What is that? What does it mean? I dont see shields like that in other countries either.

They show Polish Home Provinces. If another country controls one, it gives you a CB agaisnt it.