• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

MAC

Colonel
72 Badges
Feb 25, 2003
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Deus Vult
  • Ancient Space
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Impire
  • Majesty 2
  • Majesty 2 Collection
I really like HOI, but it needs a bit more tuning IMHO.
Have been taking a look in some mods and they usually make the game harder, more challenging. But to achieve it they for example tune down the German Manpower hugely. I might be stupid, but I'd really like to see a combination of historical accuracy and a balanced, challenging and playeable game.

My intention is to find some solutions in the thread to achieve such a combination - and maybe some good suggestions make it into a patch or a mod. So feel free to post :)

So first we'd need to collect some of the major issues in the game which need tuning ( thx Belissarius for pointing some of them out ;) ):

Issue list:
- being expansive is very easy.
- Air Units are prolly too weak vs Land Units.
- walking on islands and convoy problems.
- Amphibious Assaults take too long to land (prolly to prevent exploits?).
- Placement of produced units.
- AI issues, esp. DOWing and large Invasions.
- IC issues (i.e. no actual hardcap for IC improvement esp. on islands and not being able to improve industry due to the value 0, prolly to prevent exploits. No need for many 0 IC provinces if there'd be a hardcap...)
- Paratroopers (taking Africa in a few days).

I am sure there is much more, so please feel free to add :)

The good thing is that the game is to a huge degree moddable and a bunch of people are already doing so. Since I am a Newbie to modding maybe our modders can comment the suggestions esp. regarding how easy they are to realize...

1. How to make the game more challenging while being historically somewhat correct?

I just started a game as Rumania and simply overrun the whole Balkan area in no time. I was not DoWed by the major nations. That brought me to the question "Why did Rumania historically not expand that way? And why would they historically not have been capable of doing so (at least not in that short time)?

The main point is: When you conquer a Province you usually have to place troops/manpower there to secure it. Not so in HoI -> once conquered it stays yours and you don't need any manpower to secure it.

I have seen that cutting off the Manpower seems to be one of the major "tweaks" the modders use to prevent Germany from expanding and conquering like crazy. I'd rather have somewhat historically correct manpower pools, though.

So (and sorry if it has been already suggested) you go and conquer all that nice provinces and get a huge bonus on your IC. You now build even a bigger Army and conquer and conquer till all is yours - but what if you need to "secure" your conquered provinces? The question is how to manage this effect. As a first step wouldn't it be possible to add "secure" values to the provinces (Manpower "bound" in that province to secure it)?

That should
a) make puppet states more useful.
b) make it much harder to conquer everything in no time since you'd be standing with the usual IC but 0 Manpower if you play it as usual.
c) make other fixes obsolete which tweak the game even further from the historical aspects, but would be needed for balance issues without the suggestion of secure province values.
d) bring more tweaking options like for example lowering that values over time regarding length of occupation or not cutting off IC that drastically as it is atm.
e) simulate partisans to some degree.
f) allow other tweaks like not allowing Paratroopers to take out whole Africa in a few days (if you don't drop them in each country) in a possible 2nd step.

Please feel free to comment the idea, I'd like to get some feedback if it makes sense and is easy implementeable before going into details or other gameplay issue fixes.

Thx!

Last edited: