• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(13)

Banned
Jan 12, 2000
Visit site
Bohemia part 2 ... 1516-1541.

Major wars,

Twelve year war between Bavaria and Bohemia (1527-1539)
---

1518, conversion of Bohemia to protestanism. 25d bonus per province, a once off as the state confiscates all church property.

Between 1523-1526, Spain goes on a rampage in Italy, annexing Milan, Helvetia in 1523. Parma in 1524 and taking Bologna from the Papal States in 1525. In the midst of all these victories the Dutch provinces are beginning their revolt to independence. Sicily and Sardinia find this time to declare independence in 1523.

---
Aug 27th, 1527-October 1539, Bavarian-Bohemian war.

A bitch of a war that clearly demonstrates that the a.i can be a hard BITCH to defeat. It also demonstrates that the a.i of other neighbouring states can take perfect advantage of a war at the best .. and worse of times. My intention of this war is to annex the two state German province, thinking it'll be an easy victory .. heh :(

Phase 1. Technical advantage vs. Numerical superiority.

1527-1533

The Bohemians invade on September 13th, with 34,000 infantry, 2,500 cavalry and 57 artillery pieces. Meeting the main Bavarian army outside Nurnburg of 40,000 infantry, 10,000 cavalry and 10 artillery pieces. The Bohemians are victorious due to technical superiority, casualties are high however, at 1,500 men dead and wounded, 600 cavalry fallen and 6 artillery pieces destroyed. Bavarian casualties are much higher.

Between Dec, 1527 and Feb 1528 our forces are pushed on the defensive however, having to retreat due to exhaustion and much higher Bavarian numbers than expected. On May 2nd, the Bavarians arrive at the walls of Bohemian Pilsen (Sudeten), however they are repelled with high casualties. Their offensive comes to a halt for the time being.

Second battle of Nurnburg,

July 7th, 1528. Bohemians, 35,000 infantry, 2,000 cavalry, 48 artillery pieces against 43,000 Bavarian infantry, 7,000 cavalry. A brief but bloody battle, where the Bohemians are forced to retire, with 3,000 infantry casualties, 500 cavalry, 18 artillery. This leads to another attack into Sudeten, by August of 1529 however combined Bavarian casualties are over 10,000 during operations in that area. They have to retreat.

Feb, 1530, the Bohemians are on a clear defensive now, Bavarians have much larger numbers, but their technical deficiency is holding them from taking Pilsen, where the garrison holds out strongly. They are repelled in Feb, 1530 again. In April, trying to force a cease-fire we move onto Nurnburg where we rout a 55,000 Bavarian army with 20,000 exhausted Bohemians, however no dice, they refused to deal.

This leads to almost 1.5 years of stalemate, whilst both nations gather up more resources, the Bavarians' conscription effort being much superior to the Bohemian struggle. Though again, in April 1532, 60,000 Bavarians are defeated by only 25,000 Bohemians. The Bavarians fleet disoranized and this leads to the successful storming of Nurnburg on July 14th, 1532. We ask for peace .. they refuse. Until October 1533, the battles occur around Nurnburg, it is recaptured briefly by the Bavarians and again by us in late 1533, the city is probably in utter shambles by now. Next moves will be a surprise to both countries.

Phase 2. 1533-1539

Involvement of foreign powers. Austria and Thurgien.

Feb, 1534. Thurgien a principality neighbouring to the west of Bavaria declares war on them. The Bohemian courts' cheers can be heard 1/2 way to Nepal on hearing such news. In the end however it'll be for nothing.

1535- Kazan & Golden Horde annexed by the Muscovites.

May 3rd, 1535, a combined Thurgien/Bohemian army defeats the Bavarians near Nurnburg, and this leads to the brief occupation of this little ruin shack. Just as my resources are stretched to the limit, the Austrians declare war on Bohemia. The Austrians had just finished carving up the Venetians. Argh.. In July, 1535, Pilsen is stormed and captured by the Austrians. By September, their offensive is temporarily halted, by my outnumbered armies. May 29th, 1536, Pilsen. In November, 1536, I agree to hand over Moravia (an eastern province bordering with Poland / Austria) to the Austrians for peace. Thurgien armies are utterly outnumbered, and continually routed now. In May, 1539, the one province principality is annexed by the Bavarians. I'm alone again with several outstanding loans and few men left. On May 16th, 1539 Pilsen is taken by the Bavarians the first time a major Bohemian city has been in this war. Their losses are high, of the 55,000 who assaulted the city 20,000 die or are wounded. In June, we hand over Sudeten (Pilsen) to the Bavarians a long with 196d in indemnities. Charming.

Sapura

Sapura, you just reinforced considerably my belief that the AI of EU is good enough. ;) On the other hand, the future of Bohemia looks grim, to say the least. Do you intend to keep on playing?

I liked very much the opportunism displayd by both Austria and Thurgien. They did just what any decent human players would have done in the same situation... i.e. kick the ones that are already down :) Thurgien miscalculated his chances but that is very human also. Sh*t happens.

What provinces has Bohemia left?

H

[This message has been edited by Hakkapeliitta (edited 17-09-2000).]

Doesn't seem to be going too well for the human player this time. Bohemia should be tough - surrounded by several powers which are to some degree or other hostile. Do you have any allies, or potential allies? It could be tough to face Austria again, a distinct possibility of they see you as easy prey now.

I must admit I admire Sap to post this AAR.
Personnaly, I haven't found any interest in relating how the AI trashed me in less than 20 years, so I focus on those games I do well in... (or is it my ego ?) :)

But if it can ease non-beta testers' anxiousness about the AI level... Take my Russia AAR, replace the first Polish war by a total defeat followed by another one five years after and you understand why I started another game, with better success...