• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(13)

Banned
Jan 12, 2000
Visit site
Bohemia,

Grand Campaign 1492-1516

Main wars, Polish-Muscovite 1502-1503 & English-French, French-Spanish (1503-1506)

& The Amiens War between France (allies) vs. Denmark + England. 1513-1516
-----

10,000 standing army in 1492. Sandwitched between Poland to the east, Austria and Hungary to the south. North / North west the HRE.

------

April 1492, My diplomats seek an alliance with the Hungarians with whom we already have a good relationship. This is achieved at the end of April.

July 1492, Granada is annexed by the Spanish.

August and October 1492, Hungarians and Poles ask for royal marriages, I agree.

Feb, 1494, my techs increase for the first time ... Military Technology -> 3 (Field artillery)

Trade -> High renaissance, (can send traders to COT's)
Infrastructure improvement, High renaissance, Can build Breweries.

Thinking about possible expanion my eye wonders north into Brandenburg, but I decide against it because it would be too much of a stability hit, we have no legal casus belli + we share the same truth faith. Hungarian-Austrian relationship is at +163, which is a total contrast to my relationship with the Austrians which is at -163. Could be problematic in the long run if I don't do something about it. The Hungarians may be forced to make some tough choices, so I'll make it as easy on them as possible by sending regular envoys to keep up appearances. A Royal Marriage proposal from my enovys is refused by the Austrians.

1495, The Muscovites begin their wars against the Khanate of Kazan..successfully.

Between 1495-1500 there's a major fortification effort in Bohemia, building up city defences, starting with the capital of Prag. Noticing my expenditure slider, I see that I'm actually spending cash on naval technology. Rofl, Bohemia is _totally_ land locked, I minimize it immediately.

---
1502-1503 Muscovite-Polish war (Pskov supports the Muscovites). This war would prove to be a total disaster for the Muscovites and the city of Pskov especially.

1502, May. Polish auxillary armies (most probably cavalry only) are expelled during raids into the territory of Pskov. Muscovite armies are on a southward march into Polish frontiers, minor skirmishes occur.

In July, a _massive_ 149,000 Polish army under the command of Ostrogski (in history a guy who wiped out a 30,000 Muscovite army completley, a long with 1,000 boyars, with only 5,000 men, at Orsza in 1514) moves onto the walls of Pskov. One month later the city capitulates after ferocious assaults, the Poles lose over 6,000 men dead and wounded. Without further problems, Pskov is annexed by the Poles. This massive bastard of an army now moves east capturing city after city, Tver in Sepetmber, 1502. In late October, specifically on the 28th a general assault captures Moscow. Muscovites however refuse to be defeated, though not daring to attack this force, they move instead into occupied Pskov with 45,000 men. December 5th, the Poles move north forcing Novogord (COT) to capitulate to their overpowering forces. The Muscovites are unable to retake Pskov, losing over 10,000 men dead and wounded. Peace is agreed upon before the end of the year, the Poles taking Tver & Novogord + 138d in indemnities. They hold onto Pskov as well which was annexed in a different treaty.

-----

1503-1506, French-English war. France supported by Savoy, Papal States and Navarra. England by Portugal and Denmark. Fearsome naval battles explode in the Channel, English technical superiority supported by Danish ships is victorious over French fleets despite having less ships. By mid 1504, only minor skirmishes occur, the Channel almost completley clear of enemy forces. The Danes land an expeditionary force in Amiens, in Dec, 1504. The French storm Calais. Feb 11th, 1505 Amiens is captured by the Danes, days later a 22,000 French army arrives at the city to relieve it. They are repelled by the Danes suffer huge casualties, over 70% of their army is killed or wounded in this ferocious actiun. (Danes had about 19,000 at the start of the siege).

The war moves into a temporary stalemate. In April another French army is repelled from the walls of Amiens. This forces the French to seek a separate peace with the Danes, which is signed in mid June, 1505. The Danish are allowed to hold Amiens (province of Picardie), in exchange for ceaseing of hostilities. The war against the English continues however..

In November, 1505 the Spanish take advantage of French involvement with England and declare war on the French themselves. What looks like being a push-over turns into a bloody war, with Navarra, Lorriane, The Swiss (Helvetia) and the Papal States declaring war on the Spanish.

Feb 24th, 1506 a French alliance army of 56,000 men (regiments from Helvetia, Lorraine and France) storms the city of Besancon in the French Comte. The Spanish to the east capture Zurich only a month later.

Battle near Artois, 1506.

Another French alliance army moves into Spanish Artois (this time composed of French and Lorraine soldiers) and looks set to capture most of the Spanish Dutch possessions. The Spanish with almost 50% soldiers repel them on the meadows near Artois. Heh, _are_ there meadows in Artois? :)

There are several small skirmishes to the south a long with the Spanish-French border, but nothing major.

In September, 1506 the French and English sign a peace treaty, giving Calais to the French. The inability of the English to continue this war was due to them either being unwilling to send in a coastal invasion into Calais or perhaps being out of cash and resources. The Danish however continue to hold their French possession. A few weeks later the Spanish and French sign a truce, in exchange for 87d in indemnities to the French. Had the Spanish been defeated in Artois the war would have dragged on for a lot longer, the Spanish would have probably lost several important territories to the French and their allies.
----

1508, Courland is annexed by the Poles.

April, 1512, alliance with Hungary expires.
March, 1513, Enthusiasm for the army event, 5,000 infantry, 1,000 cavalry of volunteers in Prag.

Most Powerful alliances (French, Savoy, Papal, Navarra, Lorraine, Helvetia) & Polish, Hanseatic League, Brandenburg.

----

1513-1516 'The Amiens Dispute'

After an unsuccessful diplomatic push by the French in the hope the Danes will relinquish the city of Amiens, the talks degenerate into threats of war and this happens in November, 1513.

November, 1513 the French declare war on Denmark to recapture their lost posession of Amiens. The English support the Danes. A three year war that will be exceedingly bloody. All of you who wanted naval battles, well here they are. The French will use all of their resources in this battle.

Battle of Amiens, 23rd Novemeber, 1513.

45,000 Frenchmen battle 42,000 Danes. Danes are routed on the 4th day after the arrival of 20,000 French reinforcements from Paris. This subsequently leads to a siege of the city. The assault however is unsuccessful. By January 7th,. 1514 the large French army has to retreat due to guerilla warfare employeed by smaller Danish forces in Amiens and as far as Calais causing lots of pillaging. Remarkably, in early Feb, 11,000 Danes converge on Calais and lay siege confident that the French will never be able to re-capture Amiens. They however will be unsuccesseful. By late 1514 the area will be free of Danish armies.

April, 1514, The French arrive beneath the walls of Amiens for the second time, this time rested with reinforcements. 53,000 men, composed from nations of France, Savoy and Navarra. In May the Danish garrison capitulates and the Savoians take control of the city temporarily.

During this time, 16,400 English land near Saint Malo to the west and march on grouping French regiments north of Paris. This little expedition comes to very little, though.

While this is occuring on land, there are several major / minor naval battles between both alliances.
----

Battle at Land's end, June 20th, 1514. 14 Danish warships converge on 32 ships of the French alliance, both French and Navarran. During the hour long skirmish, the Danes are defeated, 4 of their ships being destroyed.

Battle at the Western Approaches, October 1st, 1514. 69 warships, composed of English and Danish parties catch 28 French and Navarran ships. The result is elementary, the French forces flee almost immediately due to numerical inferiority, losing only 2 ships though in the process.
----

The French send in an expeditionary force that lands in Jylland, May 1515 and lay siege to Aalborg with 12,000 men. Numerous English coastal invasions near Caux are stopped by superior French forces. Despite French alliance defeats on the Sea they are still holding the eastern passes of the Channel, by late December, 1515. This allows them to sneak in a flotilla composed of 35 ships (mostly transports) that lands 30,000 men in January of 1516 just south of London. The army however has no success laying unsuccessful sieges at Bristol and Lincoln, being repelled with high casualties between Feb and October of 1516. The war turns into a stalemate, though Aalborg finally surrenders to the French towards the end of 1516. In the peace signed on December 29th, 1516, Denmark is forced to pay 250d in indemnities as well as the secession of Jylland to the French. Despite this the Danes are allowed to keep Amiens, a nice stalemate treaty methinks.

VP's

Spain, 489
Poland 223
France 199
Portugal 172
Russia 159
Hansa 133
Venice 132
Bohemia 90.

Sapura

Nooooooooo!!!! Jylland is lost! 45% of the Danish population lives there!!!! :( btw, great AAR, just didn't see much action from the Bohemian side :) Has Denmark got an adventage on sea, superior Admirals or better naval technology? I would love it, if it was like that, I will then rampage the Swedish coasts with Tordenskjold :D

------------------
*says like a chicken*

in the beta version we play, Denmark has fewer leaders than Sweden, but this has been corrected by Greven and will be included in the final release.

So you can prepare your rampaging strategy!

Its nice to see that the 'Midlands Scenario' did not occur in this AAR. By this I refer to the seemingly perpetual French attempt to invade the northern territories of England.

It's also ironic that this AAR has some of the largest naval battles yet, but its being played by landlocked Bohemia. Sap - good move to curtail that naval tech spending, unless you wanted to dominate the local rivers and canals! ;)

Ynd,

Most of the help came from a Dane on this forum, Escalus I believe? I sent the names to Greven immediately, he made good use of them. Another example why there should always be an international beta test and a forum such as this :)

Jim,

Its nice to see that the 'Midlands Scenario' did not occur in this AAR. By this I refer to the seemingly perpetual French attempt to invade the northern territories of England.

Well, they tried, but English fleets were too powerful for them. However when they did land, you read what happened. They couldn't take any cities.

It's also ironic that this AAR has some of the largest naval battles yet, but its being played by landlocked Bohemia.

Heh, yeh not much to do in Prag, unless Hungary gets annexed by the Turks and I'm next <G>

Sapura

Sapura,

Thanks for another AAR. Curious as to what your strategy is long-term. I understand that surrounded by Poland, Austria, Hungary, Turkey, etc. you want to strengthen your position. Do you have any expansion plans, or do you intend to wait for an opportune time to attack whoever near you appears most vulnerable due to another war?

Tom,

Long term alliances with Hungary or Poland. That is the key to my saftey a long with snagging a few provinces here and there. If I go at it alone, it'll quite difficult. There aren't many potential enemies as of 1516 in the game for me, I'm shielded from Turkey by Hungary / Austria ..Poland to the east though doesn't like me much we still have a royal marriage. Brandenburg to the north .. but they're allied with the Poes, surprisingly..

Sap.

Denmark is forced to pay 250d in indemnities as well as the secession of Jylland to the French. Despite this the Danes are allowed to keep Amiens, a nice stalemate treaty methinks.

Keep Amiens and lose Jylland?! Insanity. Are you sure the AI has got its priority list straight in this beta?

Well, they had no land forces left, and over 50% of their fleet had been destroyed. So eh? The French would have moved onto Copenhagen next, so .. eh?

The English were still strong, but not strong enough to help, after all there was a 30,000 man French army laying siege to Bristol at the time, so eh?

:)

Sapura

Sapura, actually the Danes would never have given up Jylland! We had our capital there once! It's one of the richest parts of the country....just to imagine Jylland, Funen or Sjælland lost is insanity!!!!

In my prussian AAR (Part 4), Danish gives up also Jylland but Holstein too...
In EU, everything is possible. :)

------------------
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Speaking of Holstein, what happened to Slesvig in this game? Those two provinces might be small, but they are important! Losing Holstein, well, what the heck, but losing Slesvig! (Mayby a repetation of 1864 *gulp* although that is later than this game covers. It still was an important part of the Danish history that there were Holstein AND Slesvig!

------------------
*says like a chicken*

[This message has been edited by King Christian IV (edited 13-09-2000).]

Well, they had no land forces left, and over 50% of their fleet had been destroyed. So eh? The French would have moved onto Copenhagen next, so .. eh?
The English were still strong, but not strong enough to help, after all there was a 30,000 man French army laying siege to Bristol at the time, so eh?

Errrhummm. The fault is not with the Danish AI, but with the French. Why did the French want Jylland more than Picardie?! That is the insanity. A rational AI would have demanded Picardie first, so eh?

/Doomie

Originally posted by Doomdark:
Errrhummm. The fault is not with the Danish AI, but with the French. Why did the French want Jylland more than Picardie?! That is the insanity. A rational AI would have demanded Picardie first, so eh?

/Doomie

Why?

Jylland is a great strategic position to keep for the French to.

1) Encircle Spanish Netherlands.
2) Put a scare on the Danish with a garrison there, which can take Köpenhamn easily.
3) No danish fleets can easily transport reinforcements to Picardy if they go to war.

Another French/Danish war is extremely likely, and by controlling Jylland they can focus the danes on defending their capital instead of reinforcing norway or picardy.
France can take back Picardy much easier in a second war.

/Johan

And so spoke the Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire... :)

This can be linked with the thread about the AI opportunism in the General Forums.

Yep, I'll start playing the 'Bohemian' game right now. I bet we'll see quite a few clashes between the French and Danes. Hopefully this'll lead to some real invasions by the English on the French coast.

Doomdark: you got your answer from Johan .. so eh? :D

Sapura

Well, if the game AI arrived at the decision using the same logic I have nothing to complain about. :)

I just thought it might be another eruption of the reverse priority bug.