• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Jan 26, 2000
perso.club-internet.fr
Frederick II, king of Prussia. 1759. Potsdam.

The preceding war with Poland made it possible to extend my kingdom, but my finances are badly. According to the consultings of my Financial Minister 'si vis bellum, para pecuniam ' (if I can say :) ), I undertake a policy of improvement of the administrative infrastructures of Prussia in order to improve my incomes (i.e. to increase the taxes) and to fight the inflation (which reaches a record level to 101%).
Thereafter, I will increase the size of my armies to allow me to as well make the war against Sweden to conquer Pommerania and against Austria to extend my territories to the south and to limit his influence and his power.

August : with my weak cash, I can only promote my establishments in Berlin. My economy is weak and it is necessary for me to be patient...

November : England makes peace with Sweden by giving 206o in allowances and the colony of Delaware. Automatically, Sweden is in peace with me, I cannot more from now on hope to recover Pommerania quickly (to declare the war in Sweden now would make me lose 7 points of stability, unimaginable! It would be the revolt assured in all the country :( )

December : Sweden sends a invasion force (20 000 men) in Pommerania in order to besiege Stralsund. The armies of Hanover is wedged by its conquest in Lithuania and cannot assist the besieged (they have no way to go to W. Pommerania).

January : with the incoming taxes of the new year, I can invest in Magdeburg in new infrastructures, with the little money that it remains I recruit 3000 new soldiers.

February : the conclusion has just fallen: I failed to conquer Western Pommerania. 5 years that passes quickly... But I succeeded in preserving Silesia, finally the success of the one compensates for the failure of the other.
I accept new mission: RM with Denmark and to keep Kleves (a small province wedged between various german kingdoms in the west). The marriage with Denmark is quickly concluded.

March : 32 000 keen Swedish makes the siege at Stralsund while a fleet of 6 ships makes the blockade of the port. And still not help in sight for the besieged. I cannot do anything in their favour because I have peace agreement with Sweden. Besieged are lonely.

April : I start to collect the fruits of my investments: inflation fells to 99% (Youpiiiiii !!! :p ) and the price of the soldiers becomes less expensive (29 instead of 30).

September : England asks that we honor our Alliance and declares war upon Spain, and by consequence upon The Knights and Persia. Ok ok... I accept by pure principle but the theatre of war is too far from my provinces so that I’ll not be affected and I will not even hear the sound of the gun.

December : Here now more than one year that Stralsund is always besieged and still resists against the invader whose their armies are now 43 000 men and 13 ships.
The situation inside the city must be dramatic...

January : Hessen changes religion and becomes reformed while Thuringen becomes Protestant.
But relations with the first degrades while with the second they improve clearly, it is the occasion to strengthen our relations, and I invite them in our alliance with England and Hanover. Our relations are such as we can regard ourselves as the closest friends ...

June : England accepts peace with France and gives up Connecticut & Placentia : this war will have been primarily a colonial war because very little confrontations took place on the continent. I don’t know how the fate of the weapons turned because I had only little information from America...

July : Before Stralsund falls, and to avoid confusions and violences, Hanover requires peace and pays 250o in allowances to Sweden, Pommerania turns over under Swedish sovereignty.
It is the end of more than 18 months of bloody siege...

February : Improvement of the infrastructures in Silesia... My finances improve slowly but insufficiently. I cannot increase my armies nor to recruit soldiers. My projects of large Germany is likely to turn short. It is insane what I am bored in times of peace.

January : Wurtemberg changes its state religion to Protestant, I benefit immediately from our new sympathies to propose a RM to him which it accepts. The german web is woven little by little...

June : Considering the very good relations which I have with Thuringen, I propose to him to become my vassal what it accepts at once with a good surprising grace.

November : General Heinrich dies. It was my best General and it was useful to me well during the campaign of Poland. I will miss it for my future campaigns.
A Requiem will be celebrated in its honor in the cathedral of Berlin.

August : WAR ! The war is declared between Austrian alliance (Austria, Portugal, Parma) and Turkish alliance (Turkey, Crimea, Algers) but also against the French Alliance (France, Genoa, Poland, Papal states, Savoy). This double war should as well mobilize the Austrian troops on their Italian borders as on their southern borders (in Hungary) that in the east with Poland.
The Austrian army should be very busy.

October 16 : after some essential preparations, recruitment and regrouping my troops in two armies : 17000 men with Frederic II, 26 000 with General Seydlitz who goes at the Austrian border in Silesia, I declare war against Austria.
I assume completely the lack of Casus Belli (-2 stability but no bad consequences) and I ask my allies to honor their alliance and to join me. All my allies (England, Hanover and Thuringen) accept.
I move on Erz while General Seydlitz has command to walk on Moravia.

November 7 : I besiege Karlsbad (Erz). My troops are insufficient (17 000 against 15 000 of garrison) to allow me to launch an attack to the city. Thus I start a long siege.

November 20 : General Seydlitz arrives in front of the walls of Brunn (Moravia). In the same way, the city is so well strengthened that it will be necessary to be patient and slowly reduce its inhabitants to the famine to be able to take the city. This campaign of Austria is announced like a long war of siege.

December 29 : Just before midnight supper, certainly to mark their devotion and to please to me, 22 000 men of the troops of Thuringen, my vassal, join the siege of Stralsund and in a fantastic armed wave, go up to the assault of the walls of Karlsbad and helped by my soldiers win a brilliant victory.
This evening, I will sleep in the fortress of Karlsbad.

January 2 : after having celebrated the new year in Karlsbad, I move towards Prague and his castle...

January 27 : Brunn (Moravia) falls to the hands of my hanovrian allies although we have to initiate the seat, General Seydlitz indeed misses charisma to assert the victory and to claim the city for our own colors. Too bad... Moravia and its richnesses would have been an appreciable complement for my kingdom.
To avoid the new ones fighting for nothing and in order to have a greater force, I order to General Seydlitz to meet me at the siege of Prague.

February 5 : Austria proposes to me a peace agreement with the province of Erz. It is quite insufficient. Their armies are busy in Italy, Helvetia, Hungary and Poland and undergo great losses. I have the free hands and the road is free to Vienna so I hope to sleep in the palace of Schönbrunn very soon...

August 19 : after six months of siege, impatience gaining me, I order the attack of Prague. Thanks to the reinforcements of the army of the General Seydlitz, the attack against the 15 000 men of garrison is victorious but I lose 6000 men nevertheless... My army is not composed any more but of 28 000 men (only infantry). I wait urgently for reinforcements.
Lastly, 'for each day suffices its sorrow', this evening, I sleep in the castle of Prague ...

September 5 : 4000 men of reinforcement whom I had recruited (at very high cost) were beaten by 3 000 Austrians whereas they came to join me in Prague. Taken in a ambush close to Karlsbad, they could fight defending their skin dearly but finally having to make retreat in complete disorder. However the roughness of the battle was such as it did not remain any more but 566 surviving on the prussian side and 767 on the austrian side.
The worst, it is that I cannot count any more on reinforcements before many months and the war is not finished.

September 7 : I should now take again the initiative with the remainder of my men. I walk on Presburg to help my hanovrian allies in their siege.

November 10 : just arrived at Presburg with my 16 000 men, I take the command of the operations and orders the seat at once. The attack is given and after a few hours of bloody combat, the city is mine. One more :p

November 11 : Austria makes me a second peace proposal : Erz + Presburg. It is still insufficient, I want a total victory. For that, it becomes essential to make the war in front of the gates of Vienna. Austria is in such a badly position, attacked of every sides, that should be done without too much problem. In spite of the numerical weakness (15 000 men) of my army, I go to Vienna to end the war...

------------------
Si vis pacem, para bellum

[This message has been edited by JP (edited 06-09-2000).]

I wrote the continuation of this AAR and posted it but that did not function.
I will do again tomorrow morning.

------------------

Continuation ...

January 16: that made now more than one month that I am in front of Vienna, but I can nothing face the 20 000 men of garrison but to await new reinforcements which I requested from my War Minister in Berlin. But the cases of the kingdom are empty...

January 29: Good news, the prussian artists decided themselves to build a Fine Art Academy in Kustrin.

August: I’m always on the siege in Vienna but nothing does not advance and nothing is done. I asked for the assistance of my allies but they refuse to send reinforcements to me preferring to make their war in their corner.

October: I look to make peace with Austria, but the gained victories are not enough to give me a total victory in this campaign... for now :D

January 13: White peace with Portugal. I never saw the color of their uniform.

May 28: After 18 months of unfruitful siege in front of Vienna, it becomes obvious that I could not celebrate the victory in Schönbrunn. It is useless to be delayed here. I withdraws with a feeling of failure.
I go to join the army of Hanover in front of Olmutz (Ostmarch).

July 5: Finally a victory! Olmutz is mine too. I hope that the Hanovrians will not be in anger against me to to have stolen their victory. But it is time that I take again the initiative.

September 1: An austrian army of 4 000 inf is destroyed by my troops (14 000 inf) under my personal orders. Austria is not able any more to oppose a big and powerful army to me.

September 2: Their last defeat owed removed their last hope, reduced to the impotence, Austria signs a separated peace with Hanover giving up Carpathia to them, Moravia and 197o.
In the same way, it signs peace with Thuringen giving an indemnity of 250o.
Myself, I am contacted by their ambassador who proposes peace to me in the following conditions : Erz, Bohemia and Presburg go under my administration.
I think of this proposal... It will be difficult for me to continue the war without the assistance of the allied armies. Indeed, it is thanks to them that I could conquer the majority of the enemy cities.
Moreover, considering the austrian diplomatic activity, I would not like to be isolated in a conflict alone against Austria.
Moreover (bis), the Austrian proposals correspond almost to my waitings (I would have preferred Ostmarch in the place of Presburg). According to the old french proverb 'un tiens vaut mieux que deux tu l’auras', I decide to sign the peace proposal...

October 1: I am promoted Count. :)

Conclusion of the campaign of Austria :
- I increased my kingdom of 3 Austrian provinces
- Austria is not any more a threat : they lost 5 provinces and had paid close to 550o in indemnities. These provinces were plundered and they remain in war against Papal States which besieges the Tyrol and Turkey in Ruthenia.
- my diplomatic relations with the German states are good but I miss money to reinforce them a little more.

But:
- the province of Presburg is isolated from my kingdom, I will thus have again to make the war in Austria to annex at least the province of Ostmarch.
- my incomes increase slightly and inflation is always high (95%).
- my army lost nearly 60% of its manpower and it will be necessary that I rebuild it quickly.
Before:
35 808 inf
+ 4371 cav

Today: 13 403 inf

End of the campaign of Austria. October 1, 1769.

VP:
France: 372
England: 324
Prussia: 239
Russia: 210
Spain: 209
Netherlands: 189
Hannover: 170

------------------

Indeed, the eastern coast of America is entirely colonized by english whereas Canada (actual definition) is french as well as other territories inside the American country.

------------------

Originally posted by Jiminov:
JP -
I suppose the only reason that England and France exceed you in Victory Points is due to colonization efforts, yes?

For your eyes only ... :) the victory points by category ...

Nation / VP Total / Mil / Eco / Dip / Mis
France / 372 / 107 / 187 / 48 / 30
England / 324 / ? / 246 / ? / 105
Prussia / 239 / 150 / 56 / 31 / 2
Russia / 210 / 45 / 147 / ? / 10
Spain / 209 / 60 / 137 / ? / ?
Netherlands / 189 / ? / 160 / 46 / ?
Hannover / 170 / 137 / ? / ? / ?

PS : Mil = Military
Eco = Economy
Dip = Diplomacy
Mis = Mission

------------------

Good job, JP. Are the colonial victory points included in Economic? What do the question marks mean - are you not able to see the victory point breakouts for other countries? Also, you can have negative points in some categories? - I noticed that in some, it would add to greater than the total based on some category totals.

Originally posted by JP:
- my incomes increase slightly and inflation is always high (95%).

Hmmm... 95% seems very unlikely to me, since the currency was based on gold in those days... or am I wrong? I mean, hyper-inflation is quite a recent phenomenon, isn't it?

/Martin

Originally posted by Tom:
Good job, JP. Are the colonial victory points included in Economic?

Yes. In fact, your colonial economy is added to your national economy so you gain economic VP.

What do the question marks mean - are you not able to see the victory point breakouts for other countries?

I can only see the 6 best nations + my own in each category. This is why for certain nations I do not see the scores.

Also, you can have negative points in some categories? - I noticed that in some, it would add to greater than the total based on some category totals.

You are right. You can have negative points in the Mission category. If you failed mission, you gain negative points ...

------------------

[This message has been edited by JP (edited 08-09-2000).]

Originally posted by AdMartin:
Hmmm... 95% seems very unlikely to me, since the currency was based on gold in those days... or am I wrong? I mean, hyper-inflation is quite a recent phenomenon, isn't it?

/Martin

I'm not an economic professor but in EU, for example, the discover of gold mines increases highly the incomes and in the same way the inflation !
In EU, inflation is normal and increase with your income and is a challenge to decrease it.

------------------

/Martin

It depends on how what you consider recent, I suppose. I know heavy infation existed in Wiemar Germany after WWI, in the Southern States during the US Civil War and was also significant in the colonies during the American Revolutionary War. I've never formally studied the issue in the pre-1776 era but I've heard snippets of stories such as the Dutch Tulip Speculation bubble and the South Sea bubble (which caused the financial ruin of Sir Issac Newton). These were the speculative increases in value of specific asset types (which is clearly not the same as pure 'inflation') however, the end result was the same - general economic collapse that took several years or decades to overcome.

In the days when the currencies were based on gold, the major reason for inflation was a decrease in the value of gold. So I can understand that the discovery of gold mines increases inflation, but I guess you didn't find many gold mines with Prussia, right? I don't see how the inflation can rise to around 100% because of a higher income.

Historically, when inflation was higher (and consequently the price of gold was lower) in one country than in another, people changed their bank notes for gold and went to the other country were gold was valued more. The closest thing to risk free arbritage in those days...

/Martin

Originally posted by Jiminov:
It depends on how what you consider recent, I suppose. I know heavy infation existed in Wiemar Germany after WWI, in the Southern States during the US Civil War and was also significant in the colonies during the American Revolutionary War. I've never formally studied the issue in the pre-1776 era but I've heard snippets of stories such as the Dutch Tulip Speculation bubble and the South Sea bubble (which caused the financial ruin of Sir Issac Newton). These were the speculative increases in value of specific asset types (which is clearly not the same as pure 'inflation') however, the end result was the same - general economic collapse that took several years or decades to overcome.

Yes, but let's say the inflation in Austria is 100% and everything get's extremely expensive. If that had ever happened historically, the Austrians would have taken their gold and bought their stuff in e.g. Hungary where the inflation happened to be 0% at the moment. Thus inflation would have to go down to the Hungarian level if the Austrian merchants would get anything sold.

Therefore, inflation was practically nonexistent in those days. As long as a bank didn't refuse to exchange its notes for gold or its gold coins weren't pure, that is. But then only the notes of that particular bank would be 'inflated'.

The only 'real' cause of inflation was a drop in the value of gold, like in Spain when Indian gold flooded Madrid.

/Martin

I don't see how the inflation can rise to around 100% because of a higher income.
/Martin

Inflation only expend when you use income to obtain fresh money (ie: create new coins). If you invest your income into tech investment or stability improvement (ie: investment in general), inflation will not rise.
Gold mine will directly increase inflation as new money flood over Europe.
The other point is that inflation is a cumulative one, and not a yearly one (ie: 100% inflation means that everything cost 100% more than in 1492, not that price double each year). So when you reduce inflation from 100% to 95%, everything (troops, improovement, merchants...) cost 2,5% less (ie: you become wealthier).

[This message has been edited by Sarges (edited 08-09-2000).]

Originally posted by Sarges:
Inflation only expend when you use income to obtain fresh money (ie: create new coins). If you invest your income into tech investment or stability improvement (ie: investment in general), inflation will not rise.
Gold mine will directly increase inflation as new money flood over Europe.
The other point is that inflation is a cumulative one, and not a yearly one (ie: 100% inflation means that everything cost 100% more than in 1492, not that price double each year). So when you reduce inflation from 100% to 95%, everything (troops, improovement, merchants...) cost 2,5% less (ie: you become wealthier).

Ah, that explains it...

/Martin

AdMartin,
I don't dispute that arbitrage of this nature took place and would eventually drive down inflation. However, if you do have a major negative event (war, natural disaster, disease) then people can't take the actions that would take place. Unlike today, gold was only useful as a representation of relative value and for jewelry, which is sort of the same thing.

In terms of what the game is trying to accomplish, it looks like its clearly providing you with an incentive to stay at peace. War always takes a toll on the economy, so that's what they're trying to accomplish here. The economic game doesn't look all that detailed, as there are only five types of industrial improvements and 12 types of goods to trade. However, even if it is limited, its better than most other grand strategy games... Imperialism didn't deal with inflation at all although it did have a better resource gathering & processing model (IMHO).

Inflation at the beginning depends on the scenario: here 100% on January 1, 1755.
Then it drops or increases according to the incomes...
More the incomes are high inflation increases : therefore it is necessary to privilege the investments and certain developments of infrastructure to cause a drop in inflation.

------------------

[This message has been edited by JP (edited 08-09-2000).]