• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(13)

Banned
Jan 12, 2000
Visit site
Part 3 of timeline. Same GC game continued from the other 2 timelines.

1587-1617

Hanseatic-Northern alliance wars: 1588-1614
1st major Hanseatic-Northern alliance war 1588-1595. Dutch phase.

(Both of these wars seem to be over English control of Jylland, which was formerly Danish territory. Methinks the Hansa wants that area desperately to extent its merchant empire.. and therefore its profits)

The Hansa declares war on England and the fearsome English alliance supports them. (Sweden, Prussia, Order, Netherlands). You'd think with such a superiority the Hanseatic forces would be cut to pieces, and you'd be right. However, the Swedes only support the English by blockading Copenhagen, whilst the Prussians and the Order are busy strenghtening their newely re-aquired posessions in the Baltic. The Dutch attacsk between 1588-1592 do net the capture of Bremen but they are soon forced to retreat. In Oct 1593, after a three year running battle against the English occupied city of Aalborg (formerly Danish), the Hanseatic armies are able to storm the city and capture it. This was only due to the fact that the English did not reinforce this city even ONCE during those 3 years, attrition wore down the English in the end, the Hanseatic armies superior numerically were constantly defeated at the walls of the city, previous to that. Despite the capture of this city, during diplomatic negotiations, the Hansa is forced to relinquish this territory and pay indemnities of 250d to the English, in June 1595. More of a diplomatic victory, based upon the apparent numerical superiority of the alliance, rather than due to any actual invasions of the Hansa.

2nd major Hanseatic-Northern alliance war 1607-1612 Swedish phase.

A new war errupts again in 1607. England declares war on Hansa. In March of 1607, a 73k Hanseatic army floods into Jylland capturing that territory and the city Aalborg. They would occupy it till 1612. The Swedes (25k) lay siege to Straslund (west Pommerania) in Feb of 1609 after defeating a Hanseatic army of 30,000 men near Straslund. However they are unable to storm the city and must lift the siege as a relief army from Lubeck moves east to confront the Swedes again.

They join battle near the border of the two provinces on July 20th, 1609. The Hanseatic army has numerical superiority again (30k vs 23), but despite this the Swedes are victorious again. Casualties in this bloody battle are over 6,000 Hanseatic soldiers dead, numerous others injured, whilst the Swedes have over 3,000 casualties. The conclusion of this battle leads to the siege of Lubeck by the Swedes. However due to attrition and low reinforcements from Sweden, they are unable to storm the city again. But despite this in October of 1609 they again defeat a numerical superior Hansa army (27k vs 10k), though they suffer shocking losses. Over 7,000 casualties infact. Basically 3/4's of their army.

The remaining 'army' therefore is forced to retreat back from where it came from. From 1609-12 subsequent Swedish stormings of the Hanseatic coast bare little fruit and in 1614 a peace is signed between the Northern alliance and Hansa. Hansa pays 250d to the English, also giving up the occupation of Jylland.

* Meanwhile the Turks defeat the Persians, taking Hamad, Tabriz and Armenia, 90% of the land formerly Persian, between the Caspian Sea and Persian Gulf.

1595-1605 Muscovite-Crimean interventions in Astrakhan. City by city falls to the Muscovites and a conclusive battle is fought at Tseritsyn in Jan of 1597 (these weird eastern names are annoying me..) where 21,000 Muscovites out of supply and deep in enemy held territory defeat a numerically larger army of 33,000 Astrakhan (Astrakhani?) soldiers. Muscovites suffer 4,000 losses dead and wounded, whilst the 'khan armie retreats due to severe moral breakup, with most of their army intact. A pyrric victory, not entirely. In April of 1597 the khan armies counter, another major battle is fought at Ufa (Muscovite territory, formerly Golden Horde province) between 25k 'khan soldiers and 40k Muscovites. The Muscovites are defeated with difficulty and are forced to make a huge and demoralizing retreat back into Muscovite occupied 'khan territory..This was partly due to Polish funds.. which weren't paid back later on after the war - bastards. Despite this the Muscovites again counter-attack with ther superiror numbers in Sep of 1597, taking Uralsk, recapturing Tsaritsyn by Nov. After these defeats, the Crimeans decide to intervene inside Astrakhan hoping for the quick annihilation of their already crumbling focrces. They are partially supported by Tripoli and the Ottomans. Jan 1598, 41,000 Turks lay siege to the 'khan capital. A major battle is fought below the walls of this city, which lasts a week.. 'khan reinforcements (20k) move into the territory to save their capital, and though they are defeated in battle (only barely), and retreat .. the Turks are unable to take the capital due to their significant losses, more in moral than men though. The Turks would have been soundly routed if it wasn't for rein'fs from Tripoli and Crimea during the battle. This forces the Turks to seek a peace, in exchange for only 250 indemnities and is agreed to almost immediately after the battle. Crimea however continues to press on despite these difficulties.

In Feb of 1598, the 'khan sues for peace with the Muscovites. Volgograd and Orenbeg is ceded to them in the peace. In September the Crimeans are forced to sign a status quo with the 'khan due to being unable to take ANY major enemy fortifications / cities. Despite this the 'khan is seriously weakened, the Muscovites will tear it to pieces in the next war..and this they did. In 1605 what was lest of Astrakhan was annexed by the Muscovites bringing them to the frontiers of the Crimea and Turkish Azerbajdzian on the western coast of the Caspian Sea.

1597-1598. England and her alliance declares war on France, Milan and Sicily. Against an alliance such as this the mighty French are unable to successfully wage war. In March 1598 a 76,000 man Dutch army lays siege to Paris, whilst the main French forces (63k) are in Luxemburg. Meanwhile the English invade French occupied possessions of the English taken in previous wars, re-taking Hull and Dublin, with Liverpool under siege. The French complete the occupation of Luxemburg by May of 1598, whilst the Dutch are unable to successfully storm Paris. In June 1598, as the two main armies of the Dutch and French are about to meet east of Paris a cease-fire is called. In a stunning subsequent peace, the French relinquish control of Meath, Lancashire and Yorkshire to the English, leaving only a small French garrison in the Marches. I believe had the French / Dutch met in that battle, had the French won (possibly leading to the Dutch ceasing war operations) it would have extended the war at least 2 more years possibly leading to less harsh peace terms or even a status quo.

1601. French-Spanish border skirmishes and disputes lead to the capture of Perpignan by the French, followed by the pillaging of Valencia, Catalonia where a massive 100+k French army lays siege to a hopelessly defencless Madrid. Just as the French are about to capture the capital, the Spanish agree to deal .. again I think the peace terms were too light. 250d in indemnities and Roussilion to France.

1603-1607. The invasions of Poland. Turks, Muscovites and Bohemians (!).

1603-1604. New Polish-Turkish war. The Turks again declare war, but are not prepared by the willing defence and the numerical superiority of the Poles for the first time in their campaigns against each other. On three seperate occasions, Turkish armies are diced to pieces, Krementjug and Bessarabia are occupied by the Poles ... and the Turks ask for peace, literally having almost no reinforcements either in the Balkans or in Poland. The Poles gladly accept, taking Bessarabia, after 20 years or so of Turkish occupation. Perhaps this is a good time for Austria / Hungary / Bohemia to take back their possessions from the Turks? Perhaps not :(

1605-1607. Russian and Bohemian invasions. Immediately after the Turkish war, the Muscovites decide to take a piece out of Poland. This is the first time in the GC that the Muscovites have been willing, confident and daring enough to declare a war on Poland themselves. Their major reason for invasion is obviously the fact that the Poles are exhausted after the Turkish war and think that they can push their frontiers further south / se in the meantime. The center-stage of the war occurs during two major battles: Battle of Vorones (far eastern Polish province) in Nov of 1605. 22,000 Muscovites engage 14,000 Poles and are severely defeated. This halts the major Muscovite invasion plans, whilst to the north the 2nd Polish army lays siege to Moscow. On Jan 3rd, 1606 Moscow capitulates and the Muscovites ask for status quo, to which the Poles agree to, too weak to carry on battle. It's not over yet folks. Now, Bohemia declares war on the Poles, and in April 1606, a 64,000k Bohemian army captures Krakow (meanwhile the 2 major Polish armies are moving at speed from their positions near Moscow -> a LONG trek to Krakow..), in May Posen falls. In June, the Poles finally arrive within the vicinity of Posen and crazily undertake to battle the main reinforced Bohemian army of 60k soldiers with only 20,000 extremely tired men. After a very long battle, the Bohemians are routed and temporarily move back west, despite Posen / Krakow still being under their control. This would have been the perfect time to gather more reinforcements, but the Poles are unable to do so.. Why? Manpower -> 0. All resources have been used against the Turk / Russians in the last 2 years, and despite the fact we have lots of cash we can't conscript more than 3,000 men per month. <- Not good. The Bohemians now counter, moving in force on Warsaw to finish this conflict. 40,000 Bohemians and 10,000 desperate Poles (all that is left) battle under the fortifications of Warsaw in October and the Poles again carry the day. Despite this they are unable to recapture their two occupied cities -- they just don't have the manpower. On December 29th, 1606, Posen is ceded to the Bohemians.. what a humiliation. This splits off east Pommerania and Memel, Polish states from the rest of Poland ... and brings the Bohemians in contact with the Prussians in West Prussia. Needless to say .. once the peace treaty expires I'm going to make those Bohemians pay dearly for what they've done. Oh yes, boys and girls, oh yes!! Once the Northern alliance treaty expires in 1608, I'm moving on the Bohemians and the Prussians to regain west Prussia (taken after the civil war when they gained independence) and Posen, I'll just need to make sure Russia and Turkey are busy somewhere else. The Order will be worked on as well, but they are not a priority at this moment.

* England asks Poland to join the Northern alliance. This is achieved after 2 yrs hard diplomacy and a bit of cash. It would be a waste of cash ..

1611-1614. 1614-1615. Brandenburgian-Bohemian-Polish wars over Silesia and Posen. Brandenburg declares war on Bohemia in Dec 1611. Taking Breslau (Silesia) and Posen (formerly Polish) by June of 1612. Bohemian armies are diced into little pieces by the Brandenburgians. Result is this: Bohemians cede Silesia and Posen to Brandenburg in Dec 1614. This however brings the Poles into the orbit of Brandenburg, and they (me!) are not happy about German control over Posen. Poles declare war in 1615 defeating German armies in eastern Pommerania and capturing Posen 3 months into the conflict. Despite this the English are the only ones that honour our alliance when I ask for their support. This is no surprise, the Prussians and Order do not want to see Posen back in Polish control. The Swedes are just bastards :) The conclusion of this is the break up of the Northern alliance (!). England and Poland continue to be allied, whilst the Order / Prussia join forces by themselves. Sweden signs an allince with Netherlands. Anyway, Breslau is about to be captured by the Poles when the Brandenburgians ask for peace, promising Posen back to Poland. This is agreed upon in early 1615. How the Bohemians have fallen! As you see the Germans didn't much like their aggresive policies either..

Sapura

[This message has been edited by Sapura (edited 24-07-2000).]

Heheh. Good show!

Now you just need to humble those Turks (since no else seems up to it). :)

Sapura -
Talk about having you back up against the wall against three separate foes! I am really impressed by the AI here since it seems to be pretty opportunistic. Has there been any other situation when the game gangs up on one nation like this or do you think you were singled out because you are the human player?

Also congrats on finally gaining an ally. It sounds like England has really shaken off their early defeats and French occupation, is this due to new world wealth?

I agree with Doomdark, that you need to roll back the Turk. Good Luck, they seem pretty tough.

Bad Muscovites, really should hae left you alone.......they have all that land and they attack you instead of pressing the issue with Astrakhan. Why not join the Hansa? They might be a good ally for you since the Northern Alliance has now crumbled. I am sure they have no love for the Prussians/ Knights or the Swedes.

Nice job re-establishing yourself, the victory over the Turks and the Russians should keep them at bay for a little while at least.

Bravo, Sapura! Glad to see you were able to fend off three separate invasions. Any chance of allying with Austria, Hungary, or Venice against the Ottomans?

Also, what, if any, important things have been occurring as regards exploration and overseas conquest?

Thanks for such a great AAR!

Jim,

I am really impressed by the AI here since it seems to be pretty opportunistic.

Bloody oath! To say I was 'surprised' at this flood of enemies into my territory is like saying Swedish meatballs are square shaped :)

Has there been any other situation when the game gangs up on one nation like this or do you think you were singled out because you are the human player?

Yes there has, the Astrakhan example. Me / Sweden against Russian in a new timeline. It depends on circumstances. Obviously each of these countries thought I was in serious trouble so they decided to take a piece out of me. I weathered the storm of the first 2 very well, but just couldn't do anything about the third. Thank god it wasn't anyone stronger. I doubt it was because I am the human player, since the a.i nations do the same for other nations, big and small.

Dragon,

they have all that land and they attack you instead of pressing the issue with Astrakhan

Astrakhan has been annexed :) 'In 1605 what was left of Astrakhan was annexed by the Muscovites bringing them to the frontiers of the Crimea and Turkish Azerbajdzian on the western coast of the Caspian Sea.'

They might be a good ally for you since the Northern Alliance has now crumbled.

Our relationship is sour for one. Probably because of that war 100+ yrs ago against them and the Order when I took eastern Pommeria after crushing their armies :) Also, they're not really a power anymore, and geographically quite small.

Keifer,

Heh, it shouldn't be too much longer. The Swedes have been on hibernation leave for the last 2 weeks. Apparently the whole country closes down.. I'm sure Patric will post it up asap.

Dark

Any chance of allying with Austria, Hungary, or Venice against the Ottomans?

Austria: They are basically finished.
Hungary: They hate me, allying with them would mean direct confrontation with Turkey = now way :)
Venice: They are basically finished.

Also, what, if any, important things have been occurring as regards exploration and overseas conquest?

Spain has annexed the Aztecs, and thought some conclusive battles with the Incas. Probably why they've been getting pummeled by France. England has also established a small overseas colony no doubt. Russia is moving east -fast-, battling Sibir at the moment and winning quite easily. Infact Russian explorers have now reached Chinese borders!

Sapura

[This message has been edited by Sapura (edited 25-07-2000).]

Originally posted by Sapura on 07-25-2000 06:27 AM
Russia is moving east -fast-, battling Sibir at the moment and winning quite easily. Infact Russian explorers have now reached Chinese borders!

Sapura

[This message has been edited by Sapura (edited 25-07-2000).]

Hello.
Most of you know the man, who conquered Aztech. But too few peoples know, that Sibir was conquered near same. Don's cossak, T. Ermak with 600 cossak's conquered near all Sibir, until his death in night battle vs Sibir's khan and his allies. The main reason, about so 'easy' conquer, was that the Sibir have not guns/muskets, only bow's.