• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(13)

Banned
Jan 12, 2000
Visit site
1759-1778

Continued Swede-Russian war, English-Spanish war over Gibraltar, French-English war

Prussia involves itself in an English-Spanish war on the English side over Gibraltar. English fleets are concentrating in the Straits of Gibraltar and the Gulf of Cadiz. It takes them only a few weeks to defeat the Spanish on sea in this region and now they control the sea of the coast. Perhaps this could be the perfect time for me to invade and recover _all_ of my occupied provinces, but I decide against it - Prussia is powerful and with England things can get seriously tricky.

In December the Russians, finally finished with their war against the Swedes' allies the Turks finally invade Sweden proper storming Abo on December 11th, 1759.

December 20th, I sign a military alliance with Spain.

Russian armies continue to grow, in March 1760 a giant army of 59,000 men marches out of St Petersburg with a detachement force of 12,000 men further to the east. The Russian bohemoth storms into Swedish Savolaks, several key cities in the east now fall to the bear. Olofsborg stormed, March 8th, Vaasa, June 22nd. Sveaborg captitulates August 1st, 1760 and with that most of Tavastland now falls under the Russian boot. Small skirmishes occur in occupied Nyland between Russian / Dutch / Swedish forces, the Russians so far being victorious despite climbing casualties on both sides. Whilst the Swedish situation grows weaker and weaker by the month on land, on sea Swede and Dutch fleets completley control the Baltic Sea. The Russians couldn't hope to defeat both fleets, being seriously outnumbered and being defeated in several engagements of Ingermanland.

Swedish armies are gathering, slowly however. The Russians realise this knowing that they cannot hope to hold onto all of their winnings they agree to talks with the Swedes. In September, 1760 the Swedes and Russians sign a peace in exchange for 250d and the secession of the province of Tavastland to the Russians.

Meanwhile, English fleets blockade Cadiz. Spanish gather forces and lay a siege to the splendidly fortified city of Gibraltar. Knowing that storming such a well defended city would be suicidal (especially with under 30,000 forces) they decide on a long siege. To the east a small expaditionary force of 10,000 Englishmen arrives on the coast of Valencia, moving west, pillaging every bit of scrap of healthy earth within its path. On May 17th, 1761 this force attacks the Spanish army around Gibraltar but fails to relieve the fortress in consequence 1/2 of its men dying during the course of the battle. Most of the rest being captured.

French-English war. 1762-1767
France declares war on England, and with that Poland supports France, Prussia supports England. This leads to an obvious conflict between Poland and Prussia. The Prussians were waiting just for this, hoping to scoop up some more gains from the weak Poles. The Prussians flood into West Prussia (Thorn) and Krakow storming both cities with ease, despite being defeated, one of their armies slaughtered on the march south onto Krakow. A 3rd Prussian army moves out of east Prussia and into Lithuania storming Wilno. In the subsequent peace the Prussians demand Lithuania and West Prussia else they'll go onto Warsaw.

The Austrians take advantage of this situation, and invade themselves snatching Posen and Krakow without very little fuss in 1762-63 just as the Prussian-Polish war is at an end.
Actual encounters between the French and English amount to a few scuffles in the North Sea, in reality Prussia is the only country that actually benefits at all from this war taking substantial estates, establishing a firmer hold on north central Europe.

The English-Spanish war is brought to a close leading to a status quo, Gibraltar remains English.

I now think about a campaign either in Venice or in Helvetia (Switzerland). Perhaps even a campaign in Italy with my ally the Papal States. However checking in the diplomatic window its quite obvious to me France has taken quite a liking to countries on its south-eastern frontier and has extremely good relationships with them, most have royal marriages too: Savoy, Genoa, Parma and Helvetia. I too have a positive relationship with them and I decide to leave these countries alone, they'll be my cushion against any possible French invasions.

Prussia too is getting into a diplomatic frenzy, they see me as a danger and are establishing firm friendships with many of the German principalities to my northern border. Most of these principalities are extremely weak and therefore looking for a friend, only Bavaria is strong and arrogant enough to be conducting a totally independent agenda. The Prussians won't find it easy to turn the rest of the Germans over to their side, the other states have a very good relationship with me, though the Prussians are definitely having an effect, especially on Thurgien. Saxony is already a Prussian vassal too, it won't be too long before more join into the fold of the Brandenburgs.

1772-76 More Swedish-Russian alliance wars. Russian-Austrian annexation of Poland.

Further Russian/Danish wars against Sweden, Netherlands and Turkey. Leads to another defeat of the Swedish this time they must hand over all of Nyland and Finland to the Russians. Not content with that the Russians also make absolute mince meat out of the Turks annexing Wallachia and Serbia. The Poles take advantage of this during a start of hostilities between France and Turkey annexing Moldavia and Bujak. During the war, the Russians approach me for an alliance (Russ, Denmark, Portugal), to which I agree to. Not more than 6 months after the end of the new Swedish-Russian war the Russians now invade Poland and I agree to join in the merriment of carving up the weak Poles. France (a long with Papal States, Savoy and Genoa, protest as allies of the Poles and declare war). The last three states are actually on the borders of Austrian Tyrol but my diplomats give them stern warning not to attack and within a few weeks a cease-fire is announced between Austrian and the three. France invades my possessions in Flanders though.

Between 1774-76 the Austrian and Russian armies make light work of the Poles, the Russians using over 150,000 men in this final and definite invasion of Poland. Warsaw falls to the Austrians, all provinces and major cities are captured. The English too take their chance (still at war with the Poles from the last French-English war), storming Gdansk in 1775. In 1776 the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth is annexed. Austria takes most of the spoils, Gdansk going to the English. Austrian lands now stretch as far north as Dwinsk and as far east as Mozyr. For the price of handing over Flanders to the French we now have increased our size by about 45%, not to mention population and lots of cash.

Very interesting.

This AAR actually mirrors real history pretty well... Which is nice. :)

Doomie,

You only like it because Poland got reamed up the tailpipe :)

Sapura

DK,

Excellent work! I'm surprised that you didn't join Russia in its war against the Ottomans. Too worried about Prussia?

I was teetering on the verge of declaring war, but just think about this: take an atlas, have a look at Austrian 1755, add the 3/4's of the Polish Lithuanian Commonwealth pre-partitions (1772) to it and have a look how huge I had become. It was quite simple: if I didn't take the land, Prussia would.

Sapura

Between 1774-76 the Austrian and Russian armies make light work of the Poles, the Russians using over 150,000 men in this final and definite invasion of Poland. Warsaw falls to the Austrians, all provinces and major cities are captured... Austria takes most of the spoils, Gdansk going to the English. Austrian lands now stretch as far north as Dwinsk and as far east as Mozyr. For the price of handing over Flanders to the French we now have increased our size by about 45%, not to mention population and lots of cash.

Sapura, we all know the reason you attacked and annexed most of Poland. You are going to move the capital from Vienna to Warsaw and recreate the Polish Republic without all those irritating nobles. :)

ok, first off, i know this is off topic but i need to know this. this game sounds great, is there a demo available? please respond.

------------------
THE KING IS DEAD, LONG LIVE HETMAN POLSKI.

No demo, Hetman; there may or may not ever be one.

Sapura - good job in building up Austria after what was kind of a rough beginning. With Russia so strong, you should have a good chance at beating Prussia, as long as England is elsewhere occupied.

Sapura - good job in building up Austria after what was kind of a rough beginning. With Russia so strong, you should have a good chance at beating Prussia, as long as England is elsewhere occupied.

After 1700, Prussia is a very formidable enemy, to the Poles, Russians as well as Austrians which is fair enough. Normally, battling the Prussians you have to have a good alliance behind you and even if England is an ally of the Prussians, they'll usually be too busy in the north sea / France to do much about it. Usually, not always.

As for Russia, they strong, but thats because they have _huge_ resources, they're still below several nations technologically at 1700+

Sap.

Thankyou sapura for a brilliant AAR

I am new to this game but have spent hours reading the AAR's

Its good to see the English puting up agood fight !!!!! ( being English myself ! )
Even more pleased to see the french repeled from Gibraltar ( As happened in real life)

Hetman plz take your questions about the demo onto the main forum then it may get answered!!

Thankyou and good luck with your AAR's Sapura
( As long as they dont involve beating the English !!!)

:D Beat those English scum red and white, Dannebrogs colours!!! ofcourse, it's also the English flags colours (not the Union Jack) but we won't mention that :)

C4

------------------
*says like a chicken*