• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Planck

Unique Username #66563
71 Badges
Feb 2, 2007
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Sengoku
  • Sword of the Stars
  • The Showdown Effect
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • War of the Roses
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Pride of Nations
  • Victoria 2 A House Divided Beta
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas
  • Deus Vult
  • Dungeonland
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Cities in Motion
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • Magicka
  • March of the Eagles
Shouldn't we have better mechanics for militancy and reforms?

Right now it is actually extremely desirable to have high average militancy, so one can pass social reforms early on (Healthcare for example). It is rather an exploit to declare wars and then white-peace or lose on purpose, in order to increase militancy and attain better results through reforms in the long term. Not to mention extremely unrealistic.

Militancy should actually be bad and dreadful, but in events I find myself always selecting the militancy increase options. Why? It's a win-win situation.

- If your average militancy is high, it helps increase it further and persuade your UH to pass reforms
- If your average militancy is low, it won't matter if a couple farmers in a province get +1 militancy, as it will lower rather fast and becomes a non-issue

The point is I shouldn't have to mismanage my country on purpose, so it can get progressive political and social reforms. As of now, it is possible to remain an absolute monarchy or Prussian Constitutionalism until late-game just by being sensible, maintaining a good level of prestige, and not overtaxing your POPs so they can get luxury goods, and it's not even that hard.

On the bright side, I hope the new system of "dealing with rebels" in the expansion will address this problem.

Do you think this whole concept is working as designed? If not, is it "fixable" without having to rework the entire gameplay mechanics? Or maybe I'm doing something wrong...

Last edited: