• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(13)

Banned
Jan 12, 2000
Visit site
Austrian AAR 1755.

Principal wars: Austrian-Prussian war 1755-1758, Swedish-Russian war 1758-17??

On the outset,
Prussian allies: England, Hannover, Saxony vassal
Austrian allies: Cologne, Russia, Palatinat, France, Naples vassal

My Mission Target: recover Silesia from the Prussian hog-truffle.

Result: Big Bloody failure.

March 1756, Royal Marriage with Poland, brings the relationship between our two nations to a rather unpleasant -125. Still I hope this will stave off any chance of intervention by the neighbouring Poles into my own war. I doubt they would have actually declared war on me, since Russia is one of my strongest allies at the outbreak of this scenario. But perhaps that could have been the starting block: Polish recovery of the territory on the right side of the Dniepr from the Russians? Still, I don't hear much of them during this particular war.

June 10th, 1756, declaration of war on the Prussians. England joins in to support her Brandenburgian allies, whilst Cologne and the Russians join in to support me. No doubt to assault east Prussian territories of Memel and take the city of Konigsberg. France dishonours the alliance, garlic eating French scum!

Daun begins marching directly on Silesia with 32,000 men, whilst Browne's march takes him through the lands of Saxony (Prussian ally), without too much trouble and straight onto Berlin.

Battle of Berlin, August 1st, 1756.

30,000 Austrians (22,000 Infantry, 6,000 cavalry) meet the main Prussian army of 57,000 men (45,000 infantry, 11,000 cavalry, 10 artillery pieces). The Austrians are seriously outnumbered and through skillful maneuvering the Prussian army slowly gains the upper hand due to its numerical superiority. After three hours of solid battle and high casualties on both sides, Browne is forced to order a retreat. The Prussians realize this and the appropriate moment send in most of their cavalry into the flanks of the retreating Austrian infantry. The Austrians crumble, the Prussian infantry moves in after them, slaughtering the Austrian rabble like pigs. Browne falls dead from his horse. Anyone that is not captured is killed. Absolutely devastating defeat. Main reason for this defeat was numerical superiority and superior moral of the Prussian troops.

On August 15th, a Prussian army lays siege to Karlsbad after defeating the Austrian army under Daun sent in to re-capture Silesia. Daun is killed as well, a loss on almost the same scale as the defeat at Berlin. The Prussians for the moment are unsuccessul in capturing the city.

Three months into the war, and both of our main armies are no more. Both of our leading generals a long with their general staff has been captured or killed. Charming.

January 1757
Meanwhile the Russians are establishing a strong foothold in the Baltic, several of their fleets are blockading Prussian ports, as a prelude to a land invasion of that territory from the north east. It is now that several Russian seamen see the dreaded insignia of the white flag under the bright red cross: the English have arrived. For the moment there are no major engagements in the Baltic between both forces.

In April, Russian forces move into Memel and East Prussia without any opposition laying siege to Konigsberg a massive city-fortress. Despite this, over the next 6 months the Russians are totally unable to break through the defenses of this mighty fortress, losing thousands of dead in wasteful assaults. Meanwhile the Prussians capture Brunn in Austria. A conscription effort is continuing in the southern parts of Austria but is taking very long. In July a Prussian envoy arrives demanding Erz and 20d for peace, the Austrians refuse hoping that the Russians will soon be within vicinity.

In November, an English fleet comprised of 24 vessels makes a run through the Russian shipping in the Gulf of Bothnia. After several running battles with the Russian vessels they break through and managed to land an expeditionary force in Russian Ingermanland. 12,000 English disembark on the beaches..mmmm fighting ..mmm on the beaches!

Meanwhile, Prussians successfully occupy Prussian Moravia. Pilsen falls, Dec 4th, 1757. Prague is now besieged by the Prussians. July 22nd, 1758 the Austrians take out a bank loan but it will prove to be a waste of time. Austrian diplomats working independently sign a peace with the thundering Prussians on October 12th, 1758 in exchange for the secession of the territories of Sudeten and Erz. (i.e. the northern most territories bordering on Prussia.) This is necessary to avoid even more painful losses.

Almost immediately after the peace, the Swedes declare war on Russia.

Swedish-Russian war 1758-17??

The Swedes declare war a long with the Dutch and Turkey, the Russians demand that we honour our alliance. We refuse already bloodied out and having many totally undefended Austrian provinces on the southern borders of the Netherlands. It would be a catastrophy. In 1758 there are no actual field battles between the Swedes and Russians most of the war is conducted in the Baltic where the Swedish fleets slowly take control of the area. To the far, far south massive Turkish armies move along a front along Turkish provinces bordering along the north Black Sea. Skirmishes take place near Moldavia and Kremetjug, Azow, major battles in Azerbajdzian. The Russians are slowly crumbling, though despite being able to capture Bucharest briefly. In September 1759, the Russians buy off the Turks in exchange for handing over Azerbajdzian and Kremetjug to the Turks. Harsh but necessary terms to deal with the Swedes who have now crossed the Russian borders into Karelia..

Next installement soon.

Sapura

Sapura,
Thanks for the AAR, sorry it turned so ugly so fast.

So this turn of events seems to ask the question of why did you pick a fight with the Prussians? They seem pretty tough in terms of the size and strength of their armies, and had some strong allies. Was this just for fun or was there some weakness that wasn't apparent?

Jim,

I wanted to recover Silesia. Overall I had more troops and I thought the Russians could help me out by taking Konigsberg, which they didn't. Suprise, surprise..

Sapura

Originally posted by Sapura:
You're too young to be drunk!? :)

Sapura

How did you know my age?
Big brother is watching........ :)

I've been drunk and drinking since I was 13, that's the Danish youth today :D

------------------
*says like a chicken*

[This message has been edited by King Christian IV (edited 04-09-2000).]

hehe, well, didn't knew people where that curious :) oh, about the ICQ, gives me an idea to yet another thread! Yeh, I'm pestering you! If you don't like it 'Bring it ooooon'

------------------
*says like a chicken*