• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

King Christian IV

A Taste of Danish
14 Badges
Aug 29, 2000
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
Hey!

If it's not to much to ask, could I then get Sapura or Greven, whoever has the game (beta that is :)) to take some screenshots of the rest of the world? I'm really curious to see how big the rest of the world is outside Europe! Thank you for reading! :D

------------------
*says like a chicken*

Hmm well I sent some pix to Johan, showing a larger area of the world - uncovered. He hasn't posted them up on the site. Don't worry though the whole world is very well represented in detail. Take a look at the pix from the 'eu timeline' aar from 2 weeks ago.

Sapura

Okay, thank you.

And Sapura, I must say, I'm impressed and thankful for all the work you have made! Especially all those ARR's you've made. I was reading your Austian campaign all night(I had printed it all) and I only got two hours sleep before I had to go to school :( But anyways, it was great reading it, I just couldn't sleep, just had to read it! And also, I'm happy that you played my country also (Denmark :)), unfortunate that we didn't get Stockholm! And those Swedes still has Skåne, Halland and Blekinge :(!! Well, no grudges, it's a long time ago :D

Keep up the good work Sapura!

------------------
*says like a chicken*

And Sapura, I must say, I'm impressed and thankful for all the work you have made! Especially all those ARR's you've made.

Thanks should also be extended to Sarges, yndenwal, Greven, Graham Dodge and everyone else who made reports both large and small :)

I was reading your Austian campaign all night(I had printed it all) and I only got two hours sleep before I had to go to school

Now that is what I call dedication! <G> Reminds me of the times I used to play Doom2 till 3am in the morning on a school night - charming. Don't forget to read the Papal states / Swedish / Scottish aars in after action reports section, they are quite extensive. I'd also suggest the EU timeline which is gigantic.

(Denmark ), unfortunate that we didn't get Stockholm! And those Swedes still has Skåne, Halland and Blekinge !! Well, no grudges, it's a long time ago

Indeed, we Danes and Poles love bashing Swedes don't we? We have a long tradition for it <G>. Btw, I have a question for you. In your opinion could you name the top 5-10 (well as many as you can think of anyway!) military and naval commanders of Denmark from 1492-1792 and tell me why you think they so good. Can you give us their birthdates, and when they were in command? I'd love to be able to add some of them into the leaders information file for Denmark.

Sapura

Well, I have already read all those in the the After Action Reports page :) and I've also just read your first AAR, where you were the Russians.

'Indeed, we Danes and Poles love bashing Swedes don't we? We have a long tradition for it <G>. Btw, I have a question for you. In your opinion could you name the top 5-10 (well as many as you can think of anyway!) military and naval commanders of Denmark from 1492-1792 and tell me why you think they so good. Can you give us their birthdates, and when they were in command? I'd love to be able to add some of them into the leaders information file for Denmark.'

I'll try, but I'll need to do some research, because, to tell you the truth, my knowledge is in newer history and society (1850-now) WW2 especially. But that's why I really got caught up in this game, cos I don't know so much about this period, so it's a great way to learn about it! :) But ofcourse, I can tell you that Norwegan born Tordenskjold is my all time favourite naval commander! He was just sooo good at cheating Swedes *G* oh, and nor to forget, Niels Juel! A great commander! But still it's hard to find some REAL Danish leaders, cos mercanerys usually commandeered the armys at that time, no thing as nationalism at that time.

And thanx to all of y'all who is putting lots of work into playing EU *G*

------------------
*says like a chicken*

I've been reading this forum since early june, so I think it's about time I contribute just a little bit.

Sapura you ask for some danish military leader here are at least some of the better know ones. I'll try to get all the data soon.

(A) = Admiral
(G) = General
(E) = Explorer

-Otto Krumpen (G) takes back Sweden in 1520 follow by the bloodbath in Stockholm.

Reformation in Denmark

-Johan Ranzau (G) Known for ending an revolt in Jutland and throwing out Hansa troops that occupied Seeland and Copenhagen during 'grevens fejde' (1535-1536)

-Peder Skram (A) (1500-1581) known for beting the Hansa under 'grevens fejde' (1535-1536) and later the Swedes in the seven year war (1563-1570)

-Hertug Adolf af Gottorp (G) (????-1564) conquer Ditmarsk in 1559

-Daniel Ranzau (G) won one of few the danish land victories in the begining of the seven year (1563-1570) war again sweden, at Axtorna 1565.

-Frants Brockenhuus (G) known as a competent leader doing the seven year war

-Herluf Trolle (A) (1516-1565) beats the Swedes 2 times in 1564 in the waters around Øland (more than 50 ships on both sides both times), killed in the battle of Fehmarn.

- Peder Oxe (january 1. 1520 - 1566)properbly the closest Denmark ever comes to an excelent minister, know for getting control of the state budget, rasing the Øresunds Told and getting the nobles in line.

-Jens Munk (E) (1579-1628) left in search for the Nort-West passage to Asia in 1619 came back the year after with only to men out of a 63 crew, reached the Churchill River in Canada.

-Niels Juel (A) (????-1697)The Skåne war (1675-1679) the batlle of Øland 1. june 1676 there he destoyed most of the swedish fleet and the Battle of Køge Bugt 1. July 1677 there he defeded a superio swedish fleet. After this the Danish fleet rule the waves of the baltic sea. Surly the greatest Admiral ever in danish history and at the time know around Europe as properbly one of the best in the world. Died 1697

The Great Nordic War 1709-1720

-Ulrik Christian Gyldenløve (A) (1678-1719) Grand Admiral of The Navy, famous for destroying a Swedish fleer 80 ships at Rygen on September 29. 1712

-Peder Wessel Tordenskiold (A) (1690-1720) The best know Naval hero of denmark ever. There are so many stories about him I don't even know there to start. Well here it is from the begining, he was born in Trondheim-Norway on the 28. of October 1690. 1704 runs away from home and leaves for Copenhagen on on the ships that followed the danish king to Norway that year. 1711 Chef of his own ship 'Ormen' (The Worm). 1712 Chef of the Norwegian general's ship 'Løvendahls Galaj' and takes part in the Battle of Rygen. 1715 28. of October promoted to the rank of Captain. 1716 24. of February nobleed and given the name Tordenskiold. The Batle of Dynekilde there he destroys the relief fleet for Carl XII hereby forces him to abandon the campaign in Norway (plus he takes 9 man-o-war and 5 artilly pram's) and promoted to Commander. Later same year apointed Chef of the North Sea Fleet. 1717 Attach the fort 'Ny Elfsborg' near Götteborg. Later same year attach Strømstad. 1718 promotet to 'Scoutbynacht' (Contraadmiral). 1719 attach and take Marstrand on 23. of July. Later same year attachs Göteborg. 17th of august 1719 promoted to the rank of Viceadmiral age 28. Novenmber 12th 1720 killed in a duel with the swedish colonel Staël von Holstein. Returned to Copenhagen and burried in disgrase, because danes was not allowd to duel, well at least not to die in them. One of the more funny episodes in his carreer, on the 26th of July 1714 in a battle with the english privateer Bactman under swedish flag on the frigat de Olbing Galley and Tordenskiold on fregat Løvendahls Galley, after a long engagmnet Toidenskiold runs out of ammo, so what do he do, he send one of his men in a roveboat over to the enemy to ask them if they have any he can borrow, the privateer apperently has also run out of ammo, because he says no, so insteed they toast each other and sail off. What kind of pet do you have? Tordenskiold had a bear. How do you toast at a party? Tordenskiold did it in a Viking stylled drinking horn and had salutcanons to fire. And there are many many more stories about him.

-Christian Thomesen Sehested (A) (1664-1736) was known as a very skilled seaman, won a battle at Rygen in 1712 and again in 1715 where he got control of the water south of Rygen and landed an army of 18.000 that defeatedd the swedes there. Commander at the Naval Academy (when Tordenskiold attended)and later in the war Admiral of the Fleet.

-Hans Egedes (E) (1686-1758) explored Greenland from 1721-1737

The Long Peace (Called so because we didn't start any war ourself, but as far as I remember we had a few with the Swedes, because of our alliance with Rusia, but we weren't real activ.

-Schoutbynacht Frederik Christian Kaas (A) Attached and Bombarded Algier in 1770
-Steen Bille (A) Sailed to Tripoli in 1797 beat up the corsarers fleet and forced them to hand over all danish slaves in the city.

Brilliant!

Very much appreciated.

This will help us greatly. I really enjoyed reading about the leaders too. Especially Tordenskiold, what a rofler.

Sapura

Originally posted by Escalus:

-Johan Ranzau (G) Known for ending an revolt in Jutland and throwing out Hansa troops that occupied Seeland and Copenhagen during 'grevens fejde' (1535-1536)

No respect to Johan Ranzau, he fought for the aristocrats and rich men, who held the king captured in Sønderborg, because he wanted to give peasants more rights. Thereafter it came to civil war in Denmark, as the peasants rose in Jylland and Fyn (Funen) A famoues rebel leader (Can't remember his name, damned! something about a fisher) was slain in Ålborg with his men, because of the supority of the mercanerys heavy cavalery, which they could do no harm to. On Funen, the same happened, the revolt ended and the aristocrats got Christopher I on the throne. Thereafter Denmark was ruled with a harsh hand, and peasants was considered slaves. so no respect to Johan, who I think, personally leaded the army against the rebels in Ålborg.

Sapura, I'm sorry that I didn't have the time to give that valuable information which the other Dane then gave to you :) I was working on it, but seems like I won't need to do anymore.

C4

------------------
*says like a chicken*

[This message has been edited by King Christian IV (edited 02-09-2000).]

A famoues rebel leader (Can't remember his name, damned! something about a fisher) was slain in Ålborg with his men, because of the supority of the mercanerys heavy cavalery, which they could do no harm to.

Heh he, I think the 'mercenary' cavalry you're refering to was Polish?

On Funen, the same happened, the revolt ended and the aristocrats got Christopher I on the throne.

Same here too?

I wouldn't call them mercenary cavalry, Stefan Czarniecki moved to help the Danes after expelling the Swedes from Poland, he was not 'paid' for his services, he did it because he thought it was the right thing to do. Two weeks after one of these battles, Czarniecki captured Koldyng, the old residence of the Kings'. Frederick III gave him a special golden amulet for these services.

Sapura

Some quotes from Greven and Stromberg from several months back:

'The 'Battle' I think you are thinking of is the storming the Castle of Soenderborg in early december 1658. They did not cross a river, they actually did much better; they crossed a strait with cavalry. The Polish general in charge of this feat was (forgive any mis spelling) Stefan Czarniecki. Do you know more about him ?'

Battle of Funen, 1659

'The battle started 1100 the 14th november 1659. The Swedes under PfalzGraf von Sulchbach and Gustav Otto Stenbock defended with 5000men. They were good generals have defended well against several danish attacks earlier this year. However, much of the personel was freshh-recruits that had arrived as replacement. The attackers were danish,brandenburgian and dutch infantery and polish cavalry. The battle starts good for the swedes, not until the end phase of battle the excellent dutch infantery manages to outmaneuver the swedes and attacking their flank. When the swedes starts a tactical withdrawal the swedish troops unability to do that in a good order. The Polish cavalry used this opportunity and charges. (I quot) 'when the swedish order of battle starts to crumble the polish cavalry charges with great success, swedes fall in great numbers for the polish lances'.

Sapura

[This message has been edited by Sapura (edited 02-09-2000).]

Let's see, here's a histography of Czarniecki..

Stefan Czarniecki,

He was born in 1599, at Czarncy, died 1665 in Sokolowce. He was only awarded the Grand Hetmanship in 1665, the year of his death, which is quite
terrible especially because of what he did for Poland.

He fought in the Polish/Swedish war of 1625-29. Late he fought against the Ukranians during the civil war of 1648, at Zlote Wody he was captured
after the Polish defeat there.

In 1651 he was the guiding force of Jan Kazimierz, the king, he guided the Polish forces to victory over 3 days giving battle at Beresteczko against
the Cossacks and Tartars, one of the largest cavalry battles of that era (if not the largest), where he was a Colonel. Some figures suggest combined
forces of both sides were close to 250,000 soldiers in the battle. During the Swedish deluge of Poland he strongly defended Cracow, but when it
capitulated he escaped to Slask. On 07.04 in 1656 he won a splendid battle against the Swedes at Warka (first open battle that the Poles won outright against the Swedes in this war..), after which he took back 2 major cities in Pomorze. He later joined in the action to recaptured Warsaw on 30.06.1656 which he retook. The Swedes continued to have huge numerical advantages in artillery and infantry and this allowed them to deflect most attacks on their formations by Polish partisan forces. They were both small and mostly filled with regiments of light cavalry because it was exceptionally impossible to conscript infantry due to the Swedish occupation of most of the more important areas of Poland.

When the Transylvanians, allies of the Swedes under Rakoczy invaded Poland he quickly wiped them out at Czarnym Ostrowiem in 1657, next in the same year he freed Cracow, from there he moved his forces into Pomorze Zachodnie. In 1658 with an expeditionary force he moved into Denmark in support of his allies. There he contributed largerly to the explusion of the Swedes from that country by capturing the island of Als aswell as the fortress of Koldyngii.

After peace with the Swedes he took war into Russian territory defeating them at Polonka in 1660 forcing the Russians to give back all captured territory lost by the Poles during the Swedish deluge. In 1661-63 he fought more wars against Ukranian cossaks and the Russians beating them again.

Extremely exhausted by the amount of wounds sustained to his body he returned to Lwow. On his death bed he recieved the wand of the Grand hetman of Poland. He was quite a strict soldier, demanded obedience from his soldiers, which he always recieved. He used the tactics of speeds, manuverability and surprise to great effect during the Swedish deluge using small force

[This message has been edited by Sapura (edited 02-09-2000).]

Ok a little more detail on Johan Rantzau.
The problem that are comming starts way back. Slesvig/Holstein an old part of the land belonging to the royal family is divided between King Hans and his brother Duke Frederik of Gottorp (Later Frederik the I). King Hans' son Christian II becomes king last Catolic King of Denmark (well ok Frederik I, didn't officially turn Denmark Protestant, but he didn't prosecutet the Luterans). At the time then Frederik was still Duke 1520, he sends his son Christian on a trip through europe, accompanied by a good friend Johan Rantzau, in 1521 they meet Luther, then they return they are Luterans.
In 1523 manly because of the high taxes that the king is collecting to wage war against Sweden (they rebel against the king in 1522) and Lübeck (Hansa) who declare Denmark war in 1521, the peasent rose and the king is forced to flee for Holland. The Nobles ask Duke Frederik to become King he accept. Later in 1532 he tricks the old king to come back to Denmark, arrest him and jail him at Sønderborg Castle. When Frederik I dies in 1533, the nobles and the church don't want his son Christian as King, he is Luteran. So Denmark has no king for a year, as the nobles can see no other way, they don't want the old king, who is still in jail back, they at last ask Christian after the Hansa attach and he becomes King Christian III. The Hansa control all of East Denmark, The new King has only Jutland, and then the peasants raise in Aalborg (my birthplace btw), under the command of Skipper Klement. The peasent go wild killing all the nobles and bishops they can get their hands on. A small army of danish knights are sent up to stop them, but are utterly destroyed. So the kings old Friend Rantzau comes to his help with a bunch of tough mercenaries, they storms Aalborg and take Skipper Klement. In the spring of 1535, Rantzau take Fuen after the Battle of Øksnebjerg 11th of june . At the same time Peder Skram beat the Hansa fleet at Svendborgsund. The next year Copenhagen falls to Rantzau and the king. Denmark is again one. After the final victory Skipper Klement is beheaded an cut up.
Later the next year the king arrest all the catolic bishops and the reform hits Denmark.

For reasons unknow to me both Skipper Klement and Johan Rantzau are considered heroes in Aalborg. The town btw lost most of it's rights after the revolt, incl. the right to be fortified.

[This message has been edited by Escalus (edited 02-09-2000).]

who held the king captured in Sønderborg, because he wanted to give peasants more rights.

Kind of a myth, for some reason he is sometimes called Christian The Good, try saing that to a swede, he was responseble for the bloodbath in Stockholm.

C4: Thereafter it came to civil war in Denmark, as the peasants rose in Jylland and Fyn (Funen) A famoues rebel leader (Can't remember his name, damned! something about a fisher) was slain in Ålborg with his men, because of the supority of the mercanerys heavy cavalery, which they could do no harm to.

The heavy Cavalery was actually the Knights first send to fight they, they were trick, to fight in a swampy area outside of Aalborg, well guess what happens to heavy knights in a swamp.

C4: On Funen, the same happened, the revolt ended and the aristocrats got Christopher I on the throne.

Count Christoffer was actually a heir pretenter put on the thrown by the Hansa in Copenhagen. Rantzau and Christian III ousted him after the fall of Copenhagen, but the king was ask to spare him, by his own men, so Christoffer was send out of the country for life. But your right the peasant did have a hash life, I just don't think it would have been much better under Christian II, this is properbly why they rose against him in the first place, but you know how it is, the old days was always better so why not try getting them back, who knows that that new king wants and he is a Luteran. :)

Qute:
...sometimes called Christian The Good, try saing that to a swede, he was responseble for the bloodbath in Stockholm.

Yes. He is known as Christian the Tyrant (Kristian Tyrann) in Sweden.

[This message has been edited by Janbalk (edited 02-09-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Janbalk (edited 02-09-2000).]