• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

ZechsMerquise73

Field Marshal
80 Badges
Sep 3, 2009
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • 500k Club
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Surviving Mars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Prison Architect
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Age of Wonders II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
I've been wanting to get an HoI2 game, but I'm unsure if I should get HoI 2 Complete or Arsenal of Democracy. They're the same price on GG at the moment, and I have no idea what the difference between them is. Can you guys spell out the pros and cons of both games for me?

Well I've never read up on HOI 2 but I did purchase AoD a while ago, so I've been reading quite extensively on AoD including Dev Diaries (all), wiki , manual, etc and have only gotten around to play the tutorial so far. It seems like an amazing game, and the Dev Diaries really give me the impression that HOI2 did not offer some of the more promsing/intriguing features of AoD. However that may have changed since the Dev Diaries were months ago. In either case, I would suggest you post in either the HOI2 forum or the AoD forum. But from what I can tell of people's posts in AoD, they consider AoD to be what HOI2 should have been.

EDIT: If you don't have time to read all the Dev Diaries, make sure you check out the last few, where they do the Beta AARs. These ones make an effort to completely showcase the game, and especially highlight the differences of AoD from HOI2. Also I believe this is a rather common query/debate so a search via google would probably lead you to some valuable threads.

Here are a few links to start you off:
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?476843-Why-HoI2-over-AoD
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...ral-questions-concerning-AoD-compared-to-HOI2

EDIT 2: The links above are older, and patches have been out since then, and the latest 1.6B2 is much anticipated, so alot of the concerns about AoD voiced in those threads, and in any earlier threads may actually be irrelevant now. Best to check the AoD and HOI 2 forums for current activity.

Last edited:
I would say that only argument against AoD in this choice is that some of the HoI2 mods will not be converted to support AoD.

why not get hoi3+semper fi?
anyway, if it has to be hoi2 or AoD i would say AoD.
AoD is a polished, heavily modified hoi2.

My computer is junk; and while HOI3 might look better and have some different features, I don't want to endure all the slowdown for a minor variation. Besides, everyone says HOI2 is much better than HOI3.

What about the alignement system? Is that in the game?

My computer is junk; and while HOI3 might look better and have some different features, I don't want to endure all the slowdown for a minor variation. Besides, everyone says HOI2 is much better than HOI3.

I don't know about everyone...I find HOI3 far superior to HOI2. so superior that I've never even thought about buying AoD or any other HOI2 variant.

Yes from my cursory playthrough, it seems to be there. In fact you can even create/join other alliance groups than Axis/Allies/Comintern also.

I don't know about everyone...I find HOI3 far superior to HOI2. so superior that I've never even thought about buying AoD or any other HOI2 variant.

Hearts of Iron II and its two expansions were finished years ago. Hearts of Iron III is a work in progress. Arsenal of Democracy is a great game, but the wrinkles are still being worked out of it.

I already own all those titles. But if I didn't own any of them, I would buy either Hearts of Iron Anthology or Hearts of Iron 2 Complete. A bit farther down the road I would purchase Arsenal of Democracy.

Of course if you can't wait, then buy everything now and try to find the time to play them all like I do, ZechsMerquise73. ;)