• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
You need to be Catholic or Reformed (I think). To be elected, you need to bribe the German electors or find some other way to get into their good books. The benefit is better relations with members in the HRM (which is neither holy, roman, nor an empire btw)

viper_force

I am not sure of that-I think I have heard reports of Spain being a Holy Roman Emperor-not sure about it, though, as I have not seen it in my game, as I am right now playing Turkey. :)

I think Spain qualifies through their low country possessions, which are in the HRE sometimes (when Spanish or owned by an HRE nation.) If you look at the religion screen you can see the countries included in the HRE election, although this differs from the mission HRE (such as No France in the HRE) which is listed on Huszics FAQ.

The electorate changes quite a bit, as early on, a lot of Italy is included.

If an electorate is conquered by a non-eligible HRE nation, it is removed from the HRE map, and vice versa, if the Polish HRE lands are conquered by a German state they get to be included in the HRE map.

You get to move your troops freely, get VPs, and your relationship with all HRE states gradually rises.

Originally posted by isdmata
You need to be Catholic or Reformed (I think).

in my game as austria i managed to get all the HRE provinces (even those not shown on the religion map). however spain, which hasn´t a single territory left, got a eleceted all the time. i played as reformed - i think you have to be catholic (maybe counter-reformed also works).

Originally posted by driedcow
Certain states cannot. States like France and Turkey delete territories from the HRE when they conquer them.

All right. I am confused about the HRE.

I have seen France become HRE in some of the AARs. Genoa and Hungary have also taken the position.

I would appreciate it if someone from Paradox could explain this. How exactly does the HRE get elected and what are the requirements for eligibility?