• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(13)

Banned
Jan 12, 2000
Visit site
1747-1792

Final EU timeline part + summary.

1762-64, 1771-72 Polish-Russian wars. 1762-67 Russian-Turkish wars.

Russia declares war on Poland : a very silly move. The Turks, (though not the power they were before..) a long with their allies the Crimeans declare war only 2 months after the Polish-Russian war begins.

The Poles annihilate all Russian armies before them. On May 11th, the Poles lay siege to Moscow. Feb 13th, the city capitulates. At the end of may, Lipetsk is captured by the Poles. The war would have continued, but the Poles are already bloated with their possessions and agree on peace in exchange for 500d & secession of Lipetsk. In 1771, the Russians again try their hand after an inconclusive war with Turkey setting most of the Crimea ablaze. In this war, the Russians main objective was probably the capture of the Crimean capital on the Black Sea, but they were unable to achieve this goal. The Turks receive 221d in exchange for peace.

1766-1773. English Royalist war on the Dutch & their allies. This war brings in France on the Royalist side, against the Dutch and the Scots (allies of the Dutch) causing war operations not only on English territory (a war that would destroy much of the countryside), but Northern France as well. This would later bring in the English, into an indirect war with France, an ally of the Royals.

In October, 1766 Royalist armies make a strong advance into Scotland through French Marches. Near Edinburgh, on Dec 29th, 1766, 35,000 Royalists meet a defensive army of 23,000 Scots. The Scots know that they must win this battle, because the defenses of their capital are shaky at best and would not withstand a siege from the enemy. Despite their valiant efforts, the Scots are thrown into the winds, totally decimated, by the relatively untouched Royalist army, casualty wise. This inevitably leads to the capitulation of Edinburgh, on Feb 3rd, 1767. The Royals, having crushed most of Scottish forces continue their advance onto Glasgow hoping to destroy the Scots completely. Glasgow however defends itself valiantly and resists their assaults through April of 1767. Meanwhile, in northern France, the French armies are in the process of trying to recover the remaining occupied cities from the Dutch though are not having much success.

Between late September 1767 & August 1768, the Dutch land several forces in Royalist territories defeating their numerically inferior fleets, laying siege to Lincoln on Sep 28th, 1767, & Plymouth in Aug 1768..briefly capturing both cities. The Royalists counter-attack, however, and by the end of Jan, 1769, the Royalists again renew their previously aborted advance into Scotland, Edinburgh still occupied by their garrison. On February 15th, 1769, the Scots are forced into a peace, handing over 250d to the Royalists.

The Royals / French are so far having much more luck in this war. The French by now have captured Dutch Orleans and have moved with large armies into southern Netherlands. The English decide to lend a hand and declare war on France (though not the Royals directly) in Feb, 1770. Most of the conflicts between the French and the English occur in their respective colonies and in June 1771, England receives Jamshedpur from the French. Probably Indian or Pakistani colony..

From mid 1771, Dutch fleets gradually overpower Royalist / French fleets in the seas around England, causing a virtual blockade, of the Saint George's Channel as well as the western North Sea. This allows the Dutch to send in many more reinforcements, along with their allied Persian detachments. By May 1772, the Royalist armies are insignificant and exhausted. Royalist Hull, Lincoln & Portsmouth are besieged, whilst a garrison of Persians holds Plymouth. Both sides are however extremely exhausted and this leads to a peace, whereby neither side receives anything of significance, apart from the Dutch who take Cornwall (Plymouth) in May 1773. I'd liken this conflict to the Polish deluge of 1655, or the Russian time of troubles in 1610.. I wouldn't have liked to have seen England bare this kind of punishment in real history :(

1771 - Austrians recover Carpathia and Istria from the Turks forcing them into another humiliating peace.

May 1773 - (shock & horror). The Royalists already in an alliance with France become their vassals. Thud! The sound of gobsmacked Englishmen when their chins hit the carpet on hearing news of this treaty. Those crafty French!

1778-1779. New Swedish-Russian war. Two battles of Narva. Feb 15th, 1778, 33,000 Russians defeat 20,000 Swedes, however it is a hollow victory because of huge casualties and the inability of the Russians to follow up with the capture of Narva. The Poles decide to have a hand in this war, declaring war on Sweden, in June of 1778. Swedes and Poles battle each other to a standstill, the Swedes reaching an upper hand in early June causing a cease-fire. 2nd Battle of Narva, June 28th 1778. 28,000 Russians again attempt a move into Narva and join battle against 23,000 Swedes. This time the Swedes carry they day, however both sides suffer high casualties this time. In Feb, 1779, a cease-fire is signed between both sides leaving a status quo.

1782 - Austria recovers Croatia and Salzburg from the Turks, another humilation. Bavaria also recovers many cities, the province of Mantua.

--------
From here on .. there are a few minor skirmishes / and quick / insignificant wars, nothing worth documenting. The game ends in 1792.

As you see this games history at times ran parallel to events in history, whilst at other times it deviated from them significantly.
--------

Summary of 1492-1792

Western Europe: France and England started off in 1492, after 50-60 yrs, the French became dominant capturing almost 1/2 of the English isle. There after, the French began a slow steady decline, constantly invaded, their country pillaged by the Spanish in the late 16th and all of 17th centuries. Losing several provinces to the Dutch in the north, and many important central cities to the Spanish. The Dutch became dominant in n. western Europe after their independence from the Spanish, however their power has been significantly weakened by the mid 18th century, especially in their military land capabilities / numbers. England gradually recovered some territory from the French (actually taking the Marches, the last foothold of the French in England in 1792), and for some time was very dominant as leader of the Northern alliance in the mid 17th century. However, internal crisis caused it civil war, followed by the independence of the Royalists which of course would not bring any sort of peace. A house that is divided cannot hope to compete. Spain too suffered some rather grisly encounter towards the start of the 18th century, Navarra and Catalunya gaining complete independence from Spain. The HRE has been moderately quiet throughout the entire game, apart from several wasteful wars between Hessen and Hannover. Bavaria vassalized 1/2 of the HRE, however this did not translate into peaceful annexation of those territories, at least by 1792, that is. Would have been interesting to see this occur.

Eastern Europe: Dominated by the Poles from the start of the campaign. Several bloody wars with the Turks and the rebelling Cossacks led to some severe civil wars, leading to the independence of Prussia and Courland. Followed by more successfull wars against the Muscovites who were gradually pushed eastward. More wars agaist the Turks which eventually ended in the triumph of the capitulation of Constantinople and a breathing space given to central Europe for a period of 15-20 years. From here on for the next 60 yrs the Poles were in constant war, fighting some losing battles against Bohemians, the Hansa alliance and Muscovy. Stability had returned by the late 17th century however, and this followed on by the annexation of the Cossacks and the defeat of their Swedish overlords. The Poles were also successfull in vassalizing Bohemia and then forcing them to be annexed completely.

Central Europe: Gradually was overshadowed by the Ottoman alliance, that bastard of an alliance that terrorized most of Europe for nearly 1/2 of the campaign from around 1500-1650. One by one, Austria, Venice, the Bohemians and Hungarians lost territories to the Ottomans. Venice was reduced to only its namesake city, territory wise. The Hungarians valiantly thought against the Turks, keeping their independence, at a high price. Austria on the other hand was not so lucky. Devastating wars against the Ottomans led to its complete destruction and annexation towards the start of the 17th century. Austria however recovered gradually, re-gaining territory slowly but surely when Turkey fell into civil war, and much of its former alliance fell apart.

Scandinavia: Sweden was very quiet for the first 60 years of the campaign, despite a brief alliance with the Poles, in which they almost completely partitioned the rebelling Germans of the Order, the Swedes taking Narva which they would keep for the rest of the campaign. Swedes were quite that is, until they decided to trample all over Denmark. In several wars between 1560-1610, the Danish were completely destroyed, thanks also largely due to the Northern alliance, losing their independence, whilst the Swedes celebrated in Copenhagen, their supremacy of all of Scandinavia. Civil wars and strife in the early 18th century crippled much of what Sweden had achieved previously, weakening authority of Stockholm. Russia was the prime benefactor of this strife, leading to several devastating wars in the mid 18th century. Swedes lost Copenhagen to the Dutch, and over 50% of their eastern territories to the Russians.

Middle East / North Africa : For most of the campaign waas controlled by the Ottoman alliance. The leader of which were the Turks. By the 1560's they had forced the Persians into a humiliating backdown, and had virtually made most of these territories their own, vassalizing the Crimea as well as the Hedjaz, keeping the eternal alliance burning for over 100 years. This however came to a halt after the capitulation of Constantinople, many of her allies were shocked by this defeat, anger fuelled thoughts of rebellion, which would sparodically engulf occupied Austria, Baghdad, Constantinople, virtually most of the Turkish areas. Open war occured even between Turkey and its surviving allies / vassals against its former allies, briefly, however leading to nothing definative. These crisis, after the 1640's weakened the Turks and their alliance losing much territory in Central Europe.

Hope you enjoyed it ..

Sapura

[This message has been edited by Sapura (edited 07-08-2000).]

Originally posted by Sapura on 08-07-2000 01:16 PM

Hope you enjoyed it ..
Sapura

For sure we enjoyed it ! thanks so much for the excellent work !

A question about the lenght of the game. How many hours did you spend playing this full campaigh ?

Hard to tell, since I changed time settings all the time .. at times it was set to 1 min = 8 months, at others slower..

Erm.. made some calculations, but don't trust them, I'm crap at maths.

It was about 1 hour actual gameplay = 4 years game time.

so 1 hour = 40 years
XX = 300 years

= ave about 7.5 hours...

So I'd say 7.5-10 hours.

Sapura

Absolutely wonderful Sapura. Thank you very much for guiding us three centuries of European history. I am sure that it is a wonderful feeling to know that you managed to have Poland survive as a healthy nation.

Couple of questions. After the great Falp question on playing time.

How did the Victory Points break out?

Can you look at the world map at the end of the game? (Fog removed)

If so who is the big colonial power?

Did anyone enter China?

Once again thanks,

Dean

Dean,

Glad you enjoyed it.

How did the Victory Points break out?

Turkey 3034
Netherlands 2022
Portugal 1989
Poland 1861
England 1614

Can you look at the world map at the end of the game? (Fog removed)

Not at the moment, though thats a good idea.
Maybe it'll be changed, reminds me of the end of Civilization games.

If so who is the big colonial power?
Did anyone enter China?

There'll be more pix posted up soon, so you'll be able to have a look. Took some screenshots of Australia / America. Some areas are still blacked out. Still, thank my 'spies' for stealing French sea maps :D

Sapura

I agree with everyone else, a well-played campaign - Polish troops capture not only Constantanople, but isolated Moscow as well. I'm surprised that we didn't hear about Poland establishing a colony in Madagascar or Sri Lanka or some other location.

Thank you for this comprehensive AAR series and also taking the time to fill in any blanks by answering questions. I also thought that you added just enough humor to keep me on my toes - gobsmacked Englishmen, now that's ROFL for you!

Not to be pushy, but since we're lacking a demo, I'm looking forward to other AAR's if possible...

Originally posted by Jiminov:
I'm surprised that we didn't hear about Poland establishing a colony in Madagascar or Sri Lanka or some other location.

Not so surprising, considering that Poland was kept busy with neighbouring land powers, despite having such a skilled player controlling it ;).

I also would like to congratulate Sapura for this wonderful and far-reaching AAR. If anyone else is considering writing an in-depth one, I, personally, would like them to play a maritime power in order to see how colonization and naval and colonial warfare play out.

* THUD *

Damn French....always were cheats, don't play cricket you know...great shame...

That Civil war was a real turnup for the books - interesting...although I suppose that all this turmoil is possible and very interesting to read...(persian garrison of Liverpool - huh!)

as an overproud Englishman it gave me the same uncomfortable feeling as watching the patriot last week...tore me up, oh well - it was wierd :)
apart from that it was a GREAT Timeline, the best EU 'thing' I've ever read! ;)

Keep it up sap! :)

[This message has been edited by Whitey (edited 08-08-2000).]

Some of us are still waiting for Patric to post up the Austrian AAR, completed 2+ months ago ;)

It's not as detailed, as these ones, and it features more actual micro-management information on army movements, and some rather extended 'romantic' battle descriptions from me. Sorry ;) Still, hopefully it'll be a good read.

Thanks for your comments guys. Hmm, it _would_ be interesting to play as a purely colonial power though. I have yet to actually venture out of Europe for an extended vacation in the colonies. But I guess good choices would be either Spain or Portugal.

Playing as a colonial is very interesting, it brings in a lot of uncertainty to the game, battling against 'natives'. It's lovely to send out a 2,000 man infantry force that crushes 8,000 + natives :)

Sapura

Originally posted by Sapura:
Thanks for your comments guys. Hmm, it _would_ be interesting to play as a purely colonial power though. I have yet to actually venture out of Europe for an extended vacation in the colonies. But I guess good choices would be either Spain or Portugal.
Sapura

Don't leave England and the Netherlands out of consideration. They would also be just as interesting from a colonial perspective if you perhaps played them in a scenario so as to start later.
I'd be quite content with Spain or Portugal, though :).

[This message has been edited by Dark Knight (edited 08-08-2000).]

Sapura,

England appeared to be humbled by the French and 'Royalists' by the end of the game, yet they still had alot of victory points. Why? Colonial Empire, Earlier Achievements?

The Royals were vassalized, parts of England were still under the authority of London. Remember though, that previous to the strife in the 18th century, the English were doing quite well. Also don't forget that you receive huge VP's for colonial endevours..

Sapura

FYI for anyone interested in a campaign with a heavy focus on colonization. The two part 'Mellow Game' posted back in May features England dominating the world by (1) staying clear of involvement in major wars and (2) becoming the major power in the New World.

Originally posted by Jiminov:
FYI for anyone interested in a campaign with a heavy focus on colonization. The two part 'Mellow Game' posted back in May features England dominating the world by (1) staying clear of involvement in major wars and (2) becoming the major power in the New World.

This was an interesting AAR, but the player as England completely dominated the colonial race by 1600 so it doesn't really show competition between the maritime powers. Also, this AAR wasn't an extremely in-depth one like the Swedish or Papal States AARs..

You all pointed out one of the interesting things about the victory points (the high UK total). The other one I thought was the #5 spot for Poland. Poland was #5. Sap I thought you did a great job holding things together and becoming a eastern european giant. I was very suprised you were so low. As alway I have a question or two.

Was your ranking somewhat lower than expected because of the Polish No Colony policy?

How do the colonies work for the Ottomans? If I am the Ottomans and I capture the areas down to the Red Sea and send an expedition to say Pakistan (or whatever it is called in the game) and found a colony.

Do they get credit for it as a colony the same way French do of they colonized the same area?

In the same example what if the Ottomans neglected Eurpoe and decided they wanted to extend the kingdom to the Ganges after of course they have established a colony in Pakistan.

What happens to the colony?
Does it become part of the emipire and it's status change?

Originally posted by Dark Knight:
This was an interesting AAR, but the player as England completely dominated the colonial race by 1600 so it doesn't really show competition between the maritime powers. Also, this AAR wasn't an extremely in-depth one like the Swedish or Papal States AARs..

But DK, if you think about it, the focus of this AAR wasn't on the type of conflict that pervades the Swedish or Papal States AARs. Instead this one spent a lot of time talking about infrastructure improvement, dipolmacy and most interestingly Colonization. On those topics it had a great deal of depth. I'd characterize this AAR as 'butter' over 'guns.'

Dragon,

Sap I thought you did a great job holding things together and becoming a eastern european giant. I was very suprised you were so low. As alway I have a question or two.

Actually, I did quite well :) Countries that are landlocked, or have limited access to the sea will inevitably gain more victory points through military means / defeating their neighbours. Of course you can make Poland into a marine power if you like and colonize the world, why not, Johan did it :)

Though Johan may dispute this, I've come to see two different types of states in EU. One is the colonial power, gaining major points by colonizing the world, and battling other colonial powers.

The other is the 'military land power'. A power that historically didn't expand too much across the sea, but did so along her own borders. Poland is an example, Sweden to a lesser degree, though they did attempt some sort of colonization. Russia is another. As you see, though, Turkey was the far away winner in the game. This was due to her stirling efforts maintaing such a top notch alliance and ripping apart a good portion of central Europe, a long with virtually all of the middle east. I doubt I saw many Turkish colonies anywhere, then again I maybe mistake, though I doubt it.
I actually did try to colonize a province, east of Persia, and did establish a trading post there, but it was burnt to the ground by rather pissed off natives.. :(

Colonial powers, usually have more vp's by the end of the campaign, because they have covered such huge distances in finding new provinces, and hence generally, they are slightly a head on final tally of the points. Remember, a big part of this game is colonization.

Was your ranking somewhat lower than expected because of the Polish No Colony policy?

That's 'Sapura's Polish no colony policy'. Rather unofficial and can be changed. If I play Poland, I like to be more land based, however that doesn't mean you won't have to be. Ask Johan and how he played Poland once.
I just know that many countries will be trying to get a bite into your territories, playing as Poland (as it was historically) who have a legal casus belli on you for the entire 300 yrs of the GC.. it demands your attention rather than fighting pygmies with poison darts in Indonesia ;)

How do the colonies work for the Ottomans

Exactly the same as it works for any power. It's just that, traditional historical colonial powers can special bonuses .. conquisidors at an earlier stage, possibly strong naval technology, etc.

Do they get credit for it as a colony the same way French do of they colonized the same area?

I would presume so. Listen if you want the Ottomans to become a colonial power, then thats possible. If you want them to be romantically involved with central Europe, rather than taking it to pieces, thats fine too :)

Then again, being romantically envolved and taking someone / something to pieces basically runs parallel to each other..

What happens to the colony?
Does it become part of the emipire and it's status change?

Well, a potential colony has to be discovered first. Then it can become a trading post / you can slowly colonize it. It'll take absolutely ages for that area to become a serious powerhouse though, which is right and proper.

Jiminov,

Yes, the 'mellow' aar, marshmellows ahoy. Simple, yet interestingly written with a much different slant than most of mine and Grev's

Btw, on another note, I heard Johan is making his own AAR. Now this'll be a treat!

Sapura

[This message has been edited by Sapura (edited 09-08-2000).]