• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(210)

Corporal
Jun 24, 2000
Visit site
Dateline: 1575
Spot: Krakow, Poland
Action: Emperor Maximillian IInd AND Stephen Batory are both elected King of Poland.
Historical outcome: Hetman (Marshall) Zamoyski defeats Maximillian and forces him out of Poland. Batory became a sole king.
What if: What if that was Maximillian who won the short civil war and became the King of Poland?
Idea: Multinational Habsburg Empire is created covering Austria, Bohemia, Moravia, Silesia, Poland, Lithuania and Prussia. Such an Empire has no problems reconquering Hungary and while being backed up by Spain wins against Protestant coalition in the 30 Years War. By the end of XVI century Europe is united under Habsburg rule. Europa Universalis becames European Union 300 years sooner.

andrus

Some good points, but this empire would have the same problems encountered under the Jagiellonians. The Muscovites would be ever ready to take advantage of Polish weakness (as they did in 1654, 80,000 Muscovites attack Lithuania against 8,000 men under Radzwill). The Swedes would be ever ready to swallow up Prussia as well. It would be difficult to wage war on several fronts.

Besides which it would be difficult to control such a vast area of Europe, unless the constitution is changed to reflect a more 'absolutist' monarchy as it was in the west.

I like the suggestion howvever, never thought of anything like it before ;)

Sapura

I like it too. The German States would be tough to keep in line. I would have been a bit easier to keep the Ottoman juggernaut in check. Sweden and Russia would have become fond friends along with Denmark probably. France and England would have still hated each other. John Cleese as the arrogant Frenchmen = )

Rofl ... John Cleese as a frenchman. Imagine that in a comedy? It would start another war between England and France, after the pisstake he would give them!

Sapura

Monthy Python's Flying Circus ?

Umm .. I rarely watched Monty Python. I don't find it particulary amusing .. I know that's a shock to you all, but there it is :)

Sapura