• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

GermanWehrmacht

Lt. General
59 Badges
Nov 11, 2005
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Supreme Ruler: Cold War
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Crusader Kings Complete
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
Why is the AI incapable of merging units?

I think at first it lacks the knowledge how to merge stacks that make a military sense. The AI does merge them, but as a CPU is always bored by the loooong time the human user needs to decide his clicks, the AI is most of the time just unsure about the current stacking, replanning strategically all the time and this way messing around with constant split-, merge- and relocate-orders every few seconds... :wacko:

The AI is just plotting to frustrate the playing by slowing the game down so much that he makes a critical mistake. ;)

RDG said:
I think at first it lacks the knowledge how to merge stacks that make a military sense. The AI does merge them, but as a CPU is always bored by the loooong time the human user needs to decide his clicks, the AI is most of the time just unsure about the current stacking, replanning strategically all the time and this way messing around with constant split-, merge- and relocate-orders every few seconds... :wacko:

Also, the AI might be considering the upsides of micromanagement. As a human player, it would be impossible to give every one of your divisions indivual orders. As a computer, you can give hundreds of leaders experience all at once, while allowing attacks to be split and switched almost instantaneously. It would be nice to have the ability to do that as Germany against the SU or as anyone, but its impossible without spending too much time with a paused game.

isnt there a way to implement something into the AI file to have them merge. When it comes to the Sino-Japanese War the Chinese more times than any will have nothing but individual divisions and when they retake a province from the Japanese only one division will get pushed out because no reinforcements and its just irritating to see that sometimes.

GermanWehrmacht said:
isnt there a way to implement something into the AI file to have them merge. When it comes to the Sino-Japanese War the Chinese more times than any will have nothing but individual divisions and when they retake a province from the Japanese only one division will get pushed out because no reinforcements and its just irritating to see that sometimes.

I don't know about implementation, but for China, it is sometimes best to just let one division finish the attack. I know this isn't the AI's point necessarily, but when you attack with 9 seperate divisions and drive the opponent out after a long battle, you can stop 8 of the divisions and put them on support attack duty to rebuild their Org. This way enemy divisions moving in can be defeated when they would normally have been successful in their defense. This is extremely important if you have a hard fought battle over an important province.

GermanWehrmacht said:
I dont think that an AI-unability to merge is the problem here. I rather suspect the AI to be too dumb to enter provinces with enough units regarding counterattacks of nearby strong enemie's stacks. We all do know those situations, when accomplishing some too simple encirclements and cutoffs, remember the gamey trick to let France invade Southern Germany and then GER cut them off at Freiburg or a totally undefended Maginot line...

I mean the Chinese Nationalist pushed the Japanese back with sheer number over tech but it was a slow process. I didn't know if they would keep losing or finally do a successful counter to push the enemy back but its always irritating to have China Has a Japanese puppet in all my games.

look to Fernando Torres' World in Flames mod, I don't know what he did, but he seems to have mitigated the splitting of at least certain countries.

It was one of the first things I noticed about it, I was overviewing the world keeping myself occupied in the pre-war years, and once I glanced at the china theatre I noticed they were fighting with actual stacks, instead of divisions all over the place on anti partisan duty :eek:

asdfvb4.jpg

as you can see, there's a few single divisions floating around as reserves, but largely the units are in stacks of at least 3

mike^_^ said:
It was one of the first things I noticed about it, I was overviewing the world keeping myself occupied in the pre-war years, and once I glanced at the china theatre I noticed they were fighting with actual stacks, instead of divisions all over the place on anti partisan duty :eek:

It's possible to mod it indeed. I recall some other mods also have proper stacks. One thing - you might want to remove that swastika from the pic.

This is an issue that has bothered me for a long time now...what is more annoying is that the problem does not seem to appear in Victoria- an earlier game!? :wacko:

I have heard talk of mods that fix this problem to a certain extent but still not to a truly satisfactory level. Anyone have any experiences with specific mods?

HMS Enterprize said:
This is an issue that has bothered me for a long time now...what is more annoying is that the problem does not seem to appear in Victoria- an earlier game!? :wacko:

Of course in Vicky leaders are much more rare so it's good that AI stacks units together. In HoI2 leaders are not exactly rare and the AI will benefit a bit from keeping stacks as small as possible as that will maximise experience growth for leaders.

Gen. Skobelev said:
In HoI2 leaders are not exactly rare and the AI will benefit a bit from keeping stacks as small as possible as that will maximise experience growth for leaders.
So does a human player if he doesnt fear micromanagement. I handle it until start of Barbarossa. That's the first stage I merge my units, splitting the stacks later again when advancing near the Ural...