• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Eh. Big nederlands broken up in little nederlands and little belgium lands after Napoleon ?

Big Holland? Do you mean the original name for Australia (New Holland). I don't think that was actually colonised by the Dutch. I think like New Zealand (New Zeeland), it was just the name, not the people who founded it.

If you have any opposing information or meant something else, please enlighten me.

As I understand it the baulk of the dutch colonies and trade stations where lost to the British during the Napoleonic wars. That was definiatly the fate of the Cape Coloney. In part to compensate them for this lost and to make the country a better barrier against the French they were given the Austrian Netherlands. (For those who are interested Austria was compensated with Venice, Venice got nothing. In the end someone had to pay, so why not Venice?). The new provinces were rather unhappy with this state of affairs and many of the people actually welcomed Napoleon as liberator during the Waterloo campaign. This was clearly a sign that the union between the two countires was not going to last. One of the main cuase fo the revolt was the differing attitudes of the people. The Dutch were Protestant and conservative while the people of Belgium were Catholic and liberial. The revolution borke out in the 26 August 1830.

I will assume that the oringinal poster was speaking about the separation of Belgium from the Netherlands in 1830. Belgium and Greece were the only instances where the Concert of Europe allowed a revolution to proceed, without intervening following the rules of legitimacy.

I assume our two Belgian friends will find this post sooner or later and enlighten everyone with better details.

Originally posted by Swedenboy
I have tried to have some answer from the internet and some gyes said that nederlands got "defited by the English" but is this true. Please this is importens, have school work about the Nederlands in History.

Hi,... I don't understand what you mean with "the big Netherlands"

From which period in the Dutch history do you need information. It seems to me (because the English aspect in your question) that you look for information of the Dutch republic in it's relation with the English. (the Anglo-Dutch wars during the 17th and 18th century)

Both countries were (trade) rivals at sea. Before the Napoleon-period began there were 4 Anglo-Dutch wars. The outcome of those wars, spread-out over a long period, was in general a victory for the English interests. One of the main reasons that the Dutch were not able to maintain their dominance was their lack of manpower. After the English pushed back the Dutch dominance at sea the way was free to found their world-empire. This doesn't mean that the Dutch lost all their overseas possessions to the British. The Dutch got Surinam for their possessions in North America and Surinam remain Dutch until it's independence in 1975. The Dutch possessions in the Caribbean-Sea are up to today a part of the Kingdom of the Netherlands. After the Napoleon-period the British gave the Dutch East Indies back. Indonesia was a Dutch colony until World War 2. The Dutch control over their part of New Guinea (the other part belonged to Australia) was even until 1963

Re: And the small provine was?

The name of the provine of they new Nederland was?

Do you mean the part of the United States what was named Nieuw Nederland? (New Netherlands)

The New Netherlands are now known as a part of the state New York, New Jersey, Delaware, Connecticut, a part of the state Massachusetts and the territory of Maryland and Virginia East of the Chesapeake Bay.

You mean the present day Netherlands were owned by Austria? That's an event in EU2 that gives control of the Nethlands to either Spain or Austria, since both belonged to the Habsburg dynasty that owned the Netherlands.

Regards,

EoE

Ok so this was the true story about the great trade people or wants the Dutchs have a own contry or the did a revolt or something?

They revolted against Spanish Habsburg rule about 1560 or so. I don't know much about, but I am sure that you can find further help and info in the 1419-1819 history forum. :)

Regards,

EoE

I'll try to be brief :D :
1568 Official start of dutch war of independance
1572 The Gueus capture Brielle in. Many cities defect to the rebels
1576 Pacificatie van Gent (all provinces officially support the rebellion).
1581 Filips is denounced officially
1584 Willem I killed in Delft
1585 - 1625 Maurice stadtholder.
1588 Armada defeated with the english
1595 Cornelis Houtman sails to the East-Indies.
1602 Start of the VOC (dutch east indian company), which noow exists 400 years
1609 - 1621 12 year truce
1621 Start of West-Indian Compagnie.
1625 - 1647 Frederik Hendrik stadtholder.
1628 Piet Hein captures Spanish fleet (Silverfleet).
1647 - 1650 Willem II stadtholder.
1648 Peace of Munster (together with the 30-years war). The north is officially independant from Spain and is known as "the republic of the 7 provinces"
1650 - 1672 First stadtholderless era. (the regents bourgesoisse rules)
1652 - 1554 First English war. Which is won by the English
1653 Jan de Witt pensionar (something like prime minister).
1654 Peace of Westminster. Acte van Seclusie. Where Cromwell demanded the exclusion of a new stadtholder
1656 - 1660 Noordish war.
1665 - 1667 2nd English war.
1667 Peace of Breda. Surinam to Holland, New Amsterdam to England.
1672 War with France, England, Munster en Keulen. Willem III stadtholder. De brothers de Witt murdered.
1672 - 1702 Willem III stadtholder.
1674 Peace with England, Munster en Keulen.
1676 De Ruyter KIA in the Mediterrenian
1678 Peace with France
1689 Willem III King of England.
1689 - 1697 9 year warwith France
1697 Peace of Rijswijk.
1702 - 1747 2nd stadtholderless era.
1702 - 1713 War of Spanish Succesion (southern netherlands to Austria)
1715 Barrière-treaty.
1740 - 1748 War of Austrian Succession
1747 - 1751 Willem IV stadtholder.
1751 - 1795 Willem V. Internal strive between supporters of stadtholder and "patriots" (followers of enlightment)
1780 - 1784 4th war with England (due to weapon trade with US)
1789 French Revolution
1795 French conquer Holland. Willem V leaves
1795 - 1806 "Bataafse Republic". Vassal of France
1799 Invasion of English and Russians rebuked.
1804 Napoleon emperor.
1806 - 1810 Kingdom Holland. Lodewijk Napoleon King (brother of Napoleon).
1810 - 1813 Country annexed by Napoleon.
1811 Conscription.
1813 French leave country, Willem I returns (son of Willem V)
1815 Willem I, King van North- en south-Netherland. Waterloo. England returns all colonies except South Africa.
1830 Rebelion of the Belgians.
1831 10day campaign.
1839 Willem I signs peace treaty. Belgium becomes independant. First Railroad
1840 Willem I abdicates

As for the Bulk of the Dutch Colonies...

They lost South Afrika (Kaap-Colony) to the British after Waterloo, although it had been occupied some years earlier.

New Amsterdam was bought by the English and became New York

The colonies in the far east (Indonesia), were occupied by the Japanese, then liberated and fought for independence afterwards.

The Dutch still have some territories in the Carribean and on mainland South Africa (IIRC)

Originally posted by Crazy_Ivan80

They lost South Afrika (Kaap-Colony) to the British after Waterloo, although it had been occupied some years earlier.

The colonies in the far east (Indonesia), were occupied by the Japanese, then liberated and fought for independence afterwards.

The Dutch still have some territories in the Carribean and on mainland South Africa (IIRC)

On Mainland South Africa ??? I know of the Carribean territories but the rest...

Originally posted by Crazy_Ivan80

Officially, the Netherlands has no colonies anymore.
The last colony was dutch Guyana (Suriname) which became independant in 1975.
Dutch Antilles and Aruba (Carribean) are "autonome territories" and thus officially a part of the Netherlands.
Further have the dutch no oversee possesions (neither in south africa) I`m not sure when they lost it, but since 1815 at least all South AFrica was British.

In they EU 2 i saw that Austria is Dutch but is this write, i mean Austria is a bit long from the dutch and they don't have any ship how has ot then to Dutch.
parts of Netherlands were annexed by Bourgundians, which were later inherited by the Hapsburg (as in the game)
Later, the nowadays Belgium (with some southern provincies of current Netherlands) became Hapsburg again, till Napoleon conquered it.