• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(703)

Colonel
Jan 14, 2001
www.bmolsson.com
Was thinking on a multiplayer server....
Is there any plans for a Paradox server ?

Or any possiblities to get a patch that makes it possible to use a CD for a server and you remote can start a game and disconnect the server.

Note: Problems to get a good game going, having a static IP and a lobby there you can chat to find games.....

------------------
bmolsson
*Just passing by*

I don't think a EU server could be a reality. When you take the fact that a normal multiplayer game over the internet demands ADSL, I think many multiplayer games would make the server(s) crack down!

But a program like Gamespy, which creates a lobby, and takes care of the IP adds would be great!

C4

------------------
But I must warn you. Time is short. Right now we have a breathing space. The thunder of cannons has stopped. Fighting has ceased. If we are to create an United European States, whatever name and form it will take, we must start now!

--- Winston Churchill in a speak in Zürich, 19 September 1946

I have a modem-cable link. Will it work or will I be left behind? :(

------------------
För Sverige, i tiden.

Originally posted by bmolsson:
GameSpy ???

Tell me more.... Any links ?

http://www.gamespy.com/

------------------
/ Stefan Huszics EU FAQ
Warning: best viewed with Mozilla (NS6alpha) or Opera 5.x
If the page doesn't load at all or only partially, the webservers are overstrained. Try again later.

Oh man I can't wait until this gets released in the U.S...

How many of you have succesfully played this over the internet? What connection speed did you need to GET it to work? Is there an 'ideal' number of players, or does the game work just as well with 2 as it does with 8?

I have succeeded with a game together with Daztec. We played for about 3 hours.
I am in Indonesia and he is in Australia.

Our connections had about 800ms in ping and the game was played at 1 month per minute.

I have a LAN connection with Fram Relay and he have a dial up connection. The communication out from Indonesia SUX bad.

For some reason it was impossible for me to host, for him it was ok.

ICQ and EU don't like each other, but the 'chat lobby' is ok in EU so if you just get a connection it's great.

I have tried a LAN game and it works fine. Never the less I have only played with my self since I am the only one speaking Swedish. I have 2 English version on pre-order so we will be able to have a 3 person LAN (have two other freaks here) in my office soon. Will be back on that.....

------------------
bmolsson
*Just passing by*

ref the RTS game 'homeworld'

you automatically log on to a dedicated webiste when you choose the 'internet multiplayer' option in homeworld. it is the fastest bestest internet multiplayer system i have ever used

paradox! a dedicated multiplayer website would make internet multiplayer hook-ups SO easy . . .

and it wouldn't need much processing power if its only function was to hook up IP addresses

cheers

yeah it was cool

once we figured out who should host it was sweet. it eventually crashed/lost connection after several hours but i had big tropical storms at this end (darwin) and that was probably the reason

cheers

not being particularly technically inclined, allow me to ask a stupid question.

Managed to turn a whole lot of my friends here at kollege on to EU, and I JUST realized that it's multiplayer...we all have ethernet connections in our dorms, does this mean we're on a LAN? If so, how do we make this work? Sorry for the dumb question...

------------------
'A set of local sovereign states can be no more than a transitory political configuration.'- Toynbee

Yes, your have a LAN.

To play a LAN game you only need to know the IP of the host to play. It's a xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx number which you will find at the TCP/IP properties for your network card (unless you have 'dynamically assigned IPs' only, if you do try to ask someone nearby how to do find out what IP you have and how to 'keep' it).

------------------
/ Stefan Huszics EU FAQ
If the page doesn't load at all or only partially, the webservers are overstrained. Try again later.

I don't think you even have to know the IP for a LAN. Even though I have not got my second CD yet, so I have not tested it, it seems that you can run over IPX (if you have that installed).....
There are 2 choices, LAN and Internet when you enter multiplayer mode....

------------------
bmolsson
*Just passing by*

There is no IPX only TCP/IP.

You MUST know the hosts IP.

------------------
/ Stefan Huszics EU FAQ

You cannot type an IP-adress when you choose a LAN-game.

Do U really have to know the other player´s IP-adress when U play over a local network? Where do U in that case type the IP-adress?

Me and my friend cant get the game to work over a LAN.

Whe have been playing other games like AoE2 and Starcraft over our LAN. and it worked just fine.

My 'network' consists of 2 computers connected together.
-both win 98
-both the same type of ethernet card
-both set up with IPX and TCP
-both having the same domain name and submask
and IP numbers differing 1...

I dont need to enter the IP number, it runs by itself...whenever the 'host' creates a game the other player finds it and can join, no magic involved.

And i use only one cd...its it enough!

Have fun,
MMAI

You cannot type an IP-adress when you choose a LAN-game.

Hmm, just checked and your right.

However just choose internet and type the hosts IP and off you go (both 'internet' and 'LAN' is TCP/IP).

Me and my friend cant get the game to work over a LAN.

Paradox
I just checked and he's right. LAN game doesn't find any HOST for me either.
Both my comps have the same workgroup, filesharing enabled & reside in the 192.168.0.xxx (119 & 120) area (SNM 255.255.255.0).

Playing 'Internet' typing the IP works just fine though.
W98SE on both comps.

------------------
/ Stefan Huszics EU FAQ

Huszics

I don't think the LAN option requires IP. Still most LAN:s run on IPX, either it's NT or NetWare.
If you have an IP LAN and you don't have to input LAN, that means you run on NetBIOS over IP. No IP number needed.

Why should there be two options built on the same solution ?

------------------
bmolsson
*Just passing by*

Why should there be two options built on the same solution

Don't know, as Johan. A while back though he stated that they indeed where the same.

------------------
/ Stefan Huszics EU FAQ