• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(13)

Banned
Jan 12, 2000
Visit site
Great Northern War Scenario. No thrills.

Start scenario: 1700->
End: 1740.

Played as: Poland.

Starting funds: 750 Ducats.

This first AAR deals with 3 wars. It will take you step by step through each of them. In two I was directly involved with, the third was between a.i countries and is still unresolved.

The Swedish-Russian War 1700-1718 (unresolved as yet)

Year 1700. Russia declares war on Sweden, wish support from Denmark, Spain and the Knights. Russians ask for my support but I refuse their demands. Poland leaves the alliance with Russia.

Peter the Greats' armies flood into the Baltic provinces of Sweden in 1700-1701.

Danish forces occupy Jamtland and Lappland.

A Swedish army invades Russian principality of Pskov and lays siege to the city whilst around it Russian armies pillage and burn the Swedish Baltic estates. A Swedish army captures Pskov after 6 months siege, however this will all be for nothing.

In 1702 Russian armies move into Sweden's eastern provinces (Karelia etc) and begin laying siege to its cities. While this is occuring the Russians have still not managed to occupy a single Baltic province.

In 1703, The Swedes, coming under increasing pressure from all sides make peace with Denmark. Sweden is forced to pay 250 ducats to the Danes. In the same year a Russian army attacks the Swedish garrison in Pskov and re-captures the city without too many casualites. Russian armies continue to move west into Tavastland and Finland.

In 1705, two years after the re-capture of Pskov, most of eastern Sweden is now under the occupation of the Russians. All their provinces are under the foot of the Russian sword, apart from Finland. In these two years Peter the Great personally takes charge of the invasion of the Baltic terriotires and by June 1705 all are under Russian control apart from the massive fortress-city of Riga (and its surrounding territories of Courtland, in actuality, control being split between Poles and Swedes).

In the same month of 1705, Russian forces are now free to ferry themselves across the Gulf of Bothnia and invade Sweden's western territories.

Almost immediately they occupy Jamtland and Lappland. Russia's ally, Spain invades Swedish territories of Visby, Western Pommerania and Bremen together with Russian support. Bremen is captured immediately by the Spanish in September of 1705.

Sweden is crumbling, revolts begin to explode all over Skane. These rebels capture Kristianstad easily (most Swedish forces are busy fighting outnumbered to the north) in February of 1706. During this time, a massive Russian army moves on Riga.

A year later, in 1707 Cossack rebels begin to protest in the Ukraine and Bessarabia, demanding that the war be brought to a close because so many Cossack soldiers have died needlessly so far from home. This forces the Russians to detach large % of its forces and move them to quell the uprising in the Ukraine.

This allows the Swedes to temporarily recapture Sundsval and Lulea, whilst the Russian garrison at the city of Osterlund is under siege also. 30,000 Russians are Riga continue laying siege to this huge and extremely well defended fortress. In December of 1707, the Swedish garrison in Riga capitulates. All of the Baltic provinces of Sweden are now occpied by Peter the Greats' armies.

Osterlund is re-captured by the Swedes. Russian momentum has been broken for now due to the use of much manpower at the siege of Riga and in the Ukraine. Cleaning out of the Cossack rebels takes Peter's Generals till July of 1708. These forces now march north. It takes them till the end of September to cross all of Russia / the occpied Swedish eastern areas and traverese the Gulf.

Russian armies now move on Falun in 1709. Swedish/Russian armies battle each other near the city between July - September of 1709. A 27,000 man Swedish army moves on the final remaining Swedish force at Alvsborg, close to 10,000 men. Due to Swedish resolve, the Russians are forced to retreat on Feb 1st, 1710.

In July of 1710 a quickly conscripted Swede army of 16k men moves from the gates of Stockholm to reinforce 7,000 Swedes in Vastergotland. Meanwhile the Russians again take a stab at attack Sweden's core provinces, sending a 20k army into Vastergotland. Cossack cavalry is now free to attack the province of Svealand, merely a few miles from Stockholm, however major Russian armies are being kept at bay by outnumbered Swedes in April of 1711.
T
his however does not last long. Major Russian armies move into Svealand after annihilating several smaller Swedish armies in Vastergotland, whilst a Russian detachement moves into Skane, which is occupied in September of 1711.

Peter the Greats' army now lays siege to Stockholm, in January of 1713. It will be a very long and extremely bloody siege. In October of 1713 Sweden agrees to a peace with Spain, in return for 250 ducats in indemnities + Bremen to Spain. Spanish armies at Stralund & Visby immediately call a halt to the respective sieges to the anger of the Russian regiments.

Incessant Russian stormings of Stockholm are completley ineffective from Jan-Nov 1713. Russian soldiers are dying in shocking numbers. Apart from the siege of Stockholm, there are no active battles occuring between either sides, the Swedes having been completely beaten everywhere else. On April 19th, 1715, Stockholm surrenders to the Russian armies.

A siege lasting over 2 years and almost as much Russian casualties as in the rest of the war. However, this does not lead to any peace negotiations. For the next 3 years Swedish and Russian envoys continue to argue about possible peace terms in occupied Stockholm. Sweden is completely defeated, yet she still is unwilling to agree to Russian peace-terms, forcing Russia to continue a cease-fire occupation of the country. In 1718, Ulrika Eleonora rises to the Swedish throne, perhaps she will bring this 18 year war to an end.

A war that has turned Sweden into an inferno, most of its cities in flames and destroyed. Much of its population dead through war operations / famine and disease.

1st Polish-Prussian War 1702-1704. Prussian demand for Thorn.

Most probably due to my parting of the military alliance with Russia and the inherent weakness of the Polish Commonwealth at the start of the 18th century, Frederik-William decides to invade the territory, his goal to take Thorn and all of Western Prussia. He is hoping for a quick and easy victory. Prussia declares war on a hopelessly unprepared Poland in Novemember of 1702 (Hessen supports Prussia, whilst Cologne supports Poland). In December of that year a 39,000 Prussian army moves into W. Prussia and begins assaulting Thorn.

Polish re-inforcements are still moving in to the east, marching slowly. A smaller Polish army moves into east Prussia, two 10,000k armies battle each other there, the Poles being victorious annihilating the Prussian army there.

In February 1703 the Prussians capture Thorn. Large Polish reinforcements move onto Thorn and battle a Prussian army there. A whole Polish army is butchered almost to a man below the walls of the city. Almost at the same time, the previously victorious Polish army lays siege to Konigsberg. The Poles are repelled on several occasions causing them huge casualies. The Poles must retreat.

In April, A Prussian army moves into Lithuania and lays siege to Wilno. Reinforcements are hastily constructed in Warsaw, the Poles fearing this strong Prussian invasion. 18,000 Poles march out of Warsaw and move onto Wilno, whilst the Prussians now lay siege to Danzig. Cologne is forced into a peace with Prussia, and they pay the Prussians 185d in indemnities.
On May 28th, Wilno is relieved by the Poles. This Polish army is now ordered to move onto Danzig and hopefully do the same against the much larger Prussian army there.

In August the Prussians (17k) and the Poles (25k) join battle below the walls of Danzig. The Polish army, for a 2nd time is slaughtered. A week after this battle, Prussian envoys arrive in Warsaw demanding Western Prussia for peace. August the Strong is forced to agree to this peace treaty and the Prussians are now controlling Thorn and its surrounding areas. The Poles were completely outmatched organizationally and technically. Despite numerical superiority in most of the battles, they were unable to beat larger Prussian armies.

2nd Polish-Prussian War 1712-1713 2nd War for Western Prussia.

A Polish senechal reports 'Excellent Minister!' Sir, August the Strong appointed Borislav as minister, in April of 1709. This means increased monarch values for 13 years. In May of 1710 the Poles institute Gallop charges into their armies. The Poles ally themsevles with France, Saxony and Lorraine. It is time to retake Thorn from Frederik William.

On May of 1712 The Poles declare war on Prussia, together with France and Saxony. Netherlands and Hessen supports Prussia. A large Polish army moves on Thorn and captures it on Nov 12th, 1712. This is largerly due to 90% of Prussian forces being recalled to Berlin where a 44k Saxon force is laying waste to the territory. Prussians relieve the city two times, despite assaults from numerically superior Saxon armies.

While this is happening 32,000 Poles move west onto Berlin. After forcing a small Prussian army to flee, they lay siege to the city in Jan of 1713. Prussian envoys arrive in Warsaw offering W. Prussia back to Poland in return for peace. This is what the Poles have wanted, and peace is signed on Jan 10th, 1713.

AAR end.

Sapura

[This message has been edited by Sapura (edited 14-06-2000).]

Congratulations for yet another brilliant AAR, Sapura! The envoy of His Most Catholic Majesty King Philip V of Spain surely honours you, as your non-intervention gave Spain the chance to side with the Russians, get involved in Baltic politics and obtain Bremen. Ye Gods! Bremen is Spanish!!! I wonder what Britain would think about having a Spanish base in the North Sea; not very happy, I am sure.

Congratulations for retaking Thorn and teaching those warlike Prussians not to cross the Polish border. Perhaps from now on they will concentrate on re-unifying Germanu and will forget about Drag Nacht Osten (is it spelled like this?) Which are your intentions from now on?

Incidentally, wasn't August the Strong the Elector of Saxony who had one legitimate son and 300+ illegitimate children, all of which he remembered in his will?

Kind regards,

Martin

Wise move cedeing Western Prussia, before you got more provinces torn up, I suspect that made you much more capable of rebuilding your army for the second Polish/Prussian conflict.

As I was reading the Russian/Swedish Conflict I was wondering why in the heck you weren't jumping in to help one of the two parties (didn't really matter which one it would have simply been to grab a little territory). Then I got to your wars and everything made sense = )

Wise move cedeing Western Prussia, before you got more provinces torn up, I suspect that made you much more capable of rebuilding your army for the second Polish/Prussian conflict.

As I was reading the Russian/Swedish Conflict I was wondering why in the heck you weren't jumping in to help one of the two parties (didn't really matter which one it would have simply been to grab a little territory). Then I got to your wars and everything made sense = )

Which are your intentions from now on?

I may invade Prussia with help from my alliance. Take back the territory that should be mine :) However, this will be a difficult task. Polish forces are extremely weak (and were weak / disorganized from the death of Sobieski in 1696) and there was not an abundance of good Generals in Poland at this time. As is reflected in EU.

ncidentally, wasn't August the Strong the Elector of Saxony who had one legitimate son and 300+ illegitimate children, all of which he remembered in his will?

He had quite a few children, yes :) However, I'd rather remember him for a fat, lazy German troll who used Poland as his personal toilet. He didn't much care for it, and he made this quite known. The same goes for his son.

Sapura

Yeah, they were the ones who actually asked for peace in return for W. Prussia. I had to accept the peace, Poland had no armies left to deal with them.

It took me 5-6 years to gain a high enough military tech level to deal more effectively with the Prussians. Bringing in the minister with high statistics was also a bonus in Diplomacy / Military / Admin scores.

Sapura

Very interesting, yet disturbing AAR...

Play balancing all the scenarios must be a monumental task... In this case, it seems to me that a few adjustments need to be made:

1) This scenario should represent the historical Great Northern War. Thus, it should always start with an attack on Sweden by Denmark, Poland and Russia. Spain and the Knights of Malta? Absolutely not!.

2) Considering that only Denmark and Russia attacked Sweden in this game, the coalition forces should have been severely outmatched by Sweden's superior armies. Historically, Denmark was knocked out of the war almost before it started, and if Poland had not been part of the coalition Sweden would have crushed Russia blindfolded with one hand tied behind her back. :) This unchecked Russian rampage suggests either that Russia is far too strong or Sweden far too weak. Needs looking into, although it is hard to tell for sure after just one game.

Oh, and I loved your diplomatic maneuvering to pay the pesky Prussians back! That's what alliances are for. :D

/Doomie

OK
Firstly,

hus, it should always start with an attack
on Sweden by Denmark, Poland and Russia. Spain and the Knights of Malta? Absolutely not!.

I dishonoured my alliance with Russia when it came time to do battle. Therefore, Russia decided to ask Spain and the Knights to join the alliance. Remember EU does not ALWAYS deal with historical outcomes. It was already different from the time I canceled the alliance with Russia. This is the beauty of EU. Things can happen differently at any point in the game.

and if Poland had not been part of the coalition Sweden would have crushed Russia blindfolded with one hand tied behind her back

and 2nd..

Well, Poland changed sides several times during the conflict. First they were forced into the alliance by Russia in the beginning of the conflict. Then after Charles invaded Poland, defeating their hopelessly inadequate armies on 2 occasions, Poland became a Swedish ally.

In actuality Poland didn't have much say in anything. There were factions of the magnates who were loyal to the Russians and ones loyal to the Swedes. This tore the country to pieces in the end.

The Polish army during this time was disorganized, not very well equipped and very poorly led. Infact this is how it was until the partitions, apart from the time Kosciuszko called for general insurrection against the Russians in 1790's.

This unchecked Russian rampage suggests either that Russia is far too strong or Sweden far too weak. Needs looking into, although it is

Well, a coalition of Spain / Denmark and Russia against Sweden, its hardly a surprise. Just imagine if Poland got into the fray as well. Sweden has been strengthened in the latest patch anyways, so I'll check that out. After I finish this game :)

Prussians back! That's what alliances are for.

^^^^^^^^ The Prussians are _TOUGH_

Sapura

Some notes on the state of the military system in Poland after Sobieski.

From 1717, the komput waas fixed at 24,000 men. 18k in Korona, and 6k in Lithuania. The army was deprived of central financial support, and was expected to support itself by exactions levied on Crown estates. Only the artillery managed to keep itself in some order.

The gravity of the situation was magnified by the fact that the military collapse of Poland-Lithuania coincided with the massive militarization of neighbouring states. At the accession of the Wettins, the Polish army was roughly equivalent to its potential adversaries. It's 36,000 regulars outnumbered standing armies of both Prussia and Sweden and were not far exceeded by Russia and Austria. At Kliszow in 1702, and again in Warsaw, 1705 it was defeated by a numerically inferior Swedish army.

Though the confederates did managae to defeat the Swedes at Kalisz in 1706.

There after its strength was dissipated by warring factions, and permanently hobbled by provisions of the Silent Sejm. Within 20 years it was outmatched in every department.

In the Saxon era in relation to Prussia was to rise to 1:11, in relation to Austria 1:17 and in relation to Russia 1:28^10. The huge quantities of indigent petty nobles who fomed the pool of military power unequalled in Europe preferr to serve in the retinues of the magnates than in the regiments of the state. Poland Lithuania was not short on soldiers. It's a curious paradox, as Norman Davis puts it 'the most militarized society in Europe was unable to defend itself'.

Sapura

Dear Sap.

I have a question to ask: did Poland intervene in the War of the Austrian Succession (1740-48) or in the Seven Years War (1756-63)? Bearing in mind that Frederick II of Prussia attacked and conquered Saxony so quickly in 1756, I don't understand why August III of Saxony did not go to Poland and organised some sort of counter-attack, if not on his own at least joining forces with the Austrians or the Russians.

I might be writing silly things here, but please remember that my knowledge of Eastern Europe politics is not as good as I would like it to be.

Kind regards.

Martin

Martin,

did Poland intervene in the War of the Austrian Succession (1740-48) or in the Seven
Years War (1756-63)? Bearing in mind that Frederick II of Prussia attacked and conquered Saxony so quickly in..

Here's a quote from God's Playground, by Norman Davis:

'..In 1740-42 (refering to August 3) he made no move to obstruct Prussian conquest of Austrian Silesia, which drove a lengthy wedge between his Saxon and Polish domains. In the subsequent War of Austrian succession / 7 years war he followed a policy concieved exclusively in the name and interest of Saxony, seeking to use the Republic as a milch-cow for his domestic luxuries and expenses...'

i.e. he did nothing. He couldn't do much anyways, the Republic was in a state of anarchy and the tiny royal army barely ever managed to move out its barracks.

Sapura

Therefore, Russia decided to ask Spain and the Knights to join the alliance. Remember EU does not ALWAYS deal with historical outcomes.

That is all well and good in the Grand Campaign, but the very point of this scenario is the confrontation between Sweden and the coalition.

Then after Charles invaded Poland, defeating their hopelessly inadequate armies on 2 occasions, Poland became a Swedish ally.

It was not until Charles invaded Saxony and captured August the Fat Coward himself that this happened. (Besides, I wouldn't say Poland became an ally, it just became friendlier towards Sweden.) The whole, lengthy Polish campaign was essentially pointless.

Anyway, I look forward to hearing more reports after the patch...

/Doomie

Here's some extra info for you on Polish military campaigns from 1550-1660 or so.

1558-82 Livonian War, against Ivan the Terrible.

1569 Poland / Lithuania joined as one state. Ukraine transferred to Poland.

1576-78. Rebellion of Danzig. Danzigers defeated at Lubieszow, 1577. This is Bathories royal infantry guard defeated seven large German knecht companies.

1579-82. Bathory's successful campaign against Muscovy fortresses of Polotsk, Wielkie Luki and Pskov (1579-1581).

1587-88. Archduke Maxmilian enters Poland to accept offered crown by one faction. He is defeated at Cracow and captured at Byczyna in 1588 by Zamoyski.

1598. Unsuccesful expedition of Sigismund 3 to recover his Swedish throne. Defeated by Duke Charles, and deposed. Basically a battle fought by Swedes on both sides.

1600 Zamoyski's expedition to Moldavia.

1600-11 Polish Swedish war in Livonia.
Polish victories at Kokenhausen 1601, Biala Kamien and Kircholm 1605. Poles unable to take advantage of these victories due to financial problems.

1605-09 Polish intervention in Moscow's Time of Troubles.

1609-19. Russo-Polish wr.
1609-11 Smolensk falls to the Poles.
1610 Zolkewski defeats Muscovites /Swede army with Scottish / German mercenary support at Kluszino, opening road to Moscow, the Poles garrison Kremlin. King Sigisumnd's son Vladislav becomes Tzar.

1612 Poles ejected from Moscow, Romanov becomes Tzar.
1619 Peace of Devlin with Moscow. Poles take large areas of western 'Russia'.

1614-21 Polish Turkish War

1615 Expedition to Moldavia.
1620, Zolkewski killed by Turks when his army disintegrates at Cecora.

1621 Ottoman invasion halted by Poles and Cossacks at Chocim.

1617-29 2nd Polish-Swedish war.
Gustavus Adolphus advances down Baltic coastline whilst Poles are busy with Turkey.

1627-29 Hetman Koniecpolski returns from the south and fights Gustavus Adolphus to a standstill in Prussia; Gustavus wounded on several occasions. Polish naval fleet defeats Swedes at Oliva in 1627 freeing the blockade of Gdansk. Swedes take 3.5% toll of Polish Prussian trade in subsequent Truce of Atlmark.

1633-35 Another Ottoman invasion halted at Kamieniec Podolski.

1635. Peace of Sturmdorf with Sweden. Swedes return Prussian ports to Poland. This was due to French intervention. France knew that Poland was about to invade Sweden, and she didn't want her two allies in the east bloodying themselves anymore.

1632-34 Russ-Polish war. Smolensk is relieved by the Polish King after Russian besiege it.

1638-48 Golden Peace in the Ukraine.

1648-54. Cossack Rebellion. Polish armies defeated at Zolte Wody, Korsun and Pilawce.

1651. Poles destroy huge Cossack army at Beresteczko (largest cavalry battle of the 17th century).

Deluge of 1654-67, Russian, Swede, Transylvanian armies invade Poland.

1654-67 Russo-Polish war. Tzar Alexis invades Lithuania. Smolensk, Kiev and Wilno falls.

Swedes invade Poland in 1655, they overrun Poland under Charles X. Nationalist revival at Czestochowa. Two, 3 day battles of Warsaw.

Battle of Warka, 1656. First Polish win against Swedish forces in the field opening the doorway to more victories. Previous to that Polish armies were weak, disorganized, many of them sideing with the Swedes and hence were defeated on several occasions.

1657. Transylvanian invasion under Rakoczy defeated.

1657 Treaty of Wehlau. Brandenburg Prussia is bought off by being given control of Ducal Prussia.

1658-59 Swedes are expelled by Polish armies, Czarniecki attacks Swedish fortresses in Denmark.

1660 Peace of Oliwa.

1660-1 Cudnow campaign; Muscovites driven out of Lithuania.

1667 Ukraine partitioned between Poland and Muscovy.

1671-99 Polish-Turk wars.

1672 Kamieniec falls to the Turks.
1673 Sobieski defeats Turks at 2nd Chocim.
1675 / 76 Victorious Polish battles against Turks at Lwow and Zorawno.

1681 Podolia returned to Poland.

1683. Sobieski relieves Vienna commanding combined Polish / German forces. Turks defeated even more conclusively at Parkany.

1699. Last Polish-Tatar battle at Podhajce. Hetman Felix Potocki defeats Turk / Tatar army.

Whew...

Sapura

[This message has been edited by Sapura (edited 14-06-2000).]

Damn where is everyones favorite poster BOYAR? He could tell us how the entire Polish history was incorrect = )

Very interesting stuff Sap. I know little of the events in Eastern Europe during this time period. It is nice to get some insite into what was going on. As an example I never knew that the Poles and Turks had a long history of slugging it out prior to Vienna. Thanks for the good information.

VERY nice timeline of Polish military history, Sapura. I'm going to save that text for future reference. :)

Swedes take 3.5% toll of Polish Prussian trade in subsequent Truce of Atlmark.

Perhaps even more importantly, the Swedes took Livland and Riga (which remained Swedish until Russia nabbed them in the GNW).

Greven,

Pointless might be the wrong word; ineffective describes it better. It is my opinion that the six year long Polish campaign was a strategic mistake by Charles XII, which ultimately did more harm than good (since it gave Russia time to regroup, build up its strength and even found St Petersburg on Swedish soil).

The more logical move would have been to march on Moscow after the battle of Narva in 1700, raising a smaller army in Livland to delay the Poles. With Russia defeated (and they would have been - their army was in disarray), it is likely that the Poles would have yielded without further conflict.

/Doomie

I have to agree with Doomdark's comments regarding play balance and alliances. It's true that the game should be allowed to diverge from historical outcomes, but if the scenario begins in 1700 then shouldn't Spain have to deal with the War of the Spanish Succession and thus be in no position to intervene in a distant war. Not to mention that in any case, Spain certainly shouldn't be invading SWEDEN unless many other events have diverged from history (and there wasn't enough time for this to happen).

Thanks, Sapura for the AAR and timeline though :)

Originally posted by Doomdark on 06-15-2000 12:00 AM
Greven,

Pointless might be the wrong word; ineffective describes it better. It is my opinion that the six year long Polish campaign was a strategic mistake by Charles XII, which ultimately did more harm than good (since it gave Russia time to regroup, build up its strength and even found St Petersburg on Swedish soil).

The more logical move would have been to march on Moscow after the battle of Narva in 1700, raising a smaller army in Livland to delay the Poles. With Russia defeated (and they would have been - their army was in disarray), it is likely that the Poles would have yielded without further conflict.
----------------------------------------
Doomie,

I was only interested as it sounded so hard in my ears, but now I understand. I don't agree, though instead of agrueing here which actually is pointless, :)
I give you a small litterature suggestion, merely for you to read a deviant opinion. Which is IMHO very intruiging if nothing else. :)

Anders Florén/Stellan Dahlgren/Jan Lindegren: 'Kungar och Krigare- tre essäer om Karl X Gustav, Karl XI och Karl XII'.
ISBN 91-7486-992-2

It describes the warfare of the period from a unusual point namely with the focus on supply. They are of the opinion that the question 'How to supply the field army ?' governed the Swedish Strategy of the Great Northern War. I find it sound and interesting. From my own research on topic of financing the army during the GNW my results are more or less consistent with their view. And the consequence IF they are right is that the Polish campaign was neither pointless nore ineffective, but the only fruitful way to end the war.

/Greven

[This message has been edited by Greven (edited 15-06-2000).]