• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(658)

First Lieutenant
Jan 7, 2001
Visit site
ok, in the screenshots ive seen of the game, some provinces are white, some tan, some brown, etc. I know this is isnt the political map which goes color by country. Any one like to answer a poor yanks question?

As far as I know the colors in the geographical (standard) map are just to make it look more interesting and easy to separate the provinces.

Originally posted by brendiaz:
ok, in the screenshots ive seen of the game, some provinces are white, some tan, some brown, etc. I know this is isnt the political map which goes color by country. Any one like to answer a poor yanks question?
Is there a question here? ;)

Perhaps you are referring to the normal geographic map that shows different types of terrain (mountains, plains, swamps, etc.) and weather conditions (white for snow).

Brown is mountains
Off-white is plains
Aqua-Green is marshland
Yellow is desert
When a province is white that means it is currently undergoing winter (This is very annoying when you are a northern country becauae it engulfs every province annualy.)

Any more i missed?

By the way, i was wondering, why are these like this? Do they have some sort of effect on something? (I know what winter can do to an army but what about the rest?)

------------------
- 'Quand je mourrai, je resterai dans l'esprit des gens l'étoile de la justice, mon nom sera le cri de guerre de leurs efforts, la parole de leurs espoirs.'

- Napoléon Bonaparte, Empereur des Français.

It actually have effect on troop movement as well as attrition. Snow increase the attrition and decrease the speed of the troops.
During game play it has not been so important for me yet. Northern Canada during winter and your troops are slow and froosen, but so are the enemy ;-)

------------------
bmolsson
*Just passing by*

By the way, i was wondering, why are these like this? Do they have some sort of effect on something?

They affect combat and movement. From the manual:

Movement cost

Clear terrain 1
Forrest 1.25
Mountains 1.75
Desert 1.25
Marsh 1.5
Rivercrossing +1
Bordercrossing +0.5

Movement points /month

Cav 3
Inf 2
Arty 1.5

Combat affects are not revealed in the manual but looking at the original boardgame:

* Cav have reduced effectiveness in Forrest, Mountains & Marsh.
* Attackers arty is much less effective in Forrest, Mountains & Marsh.
* Casualitys are reduced in Forrest, March & Desert
* Crossing a river/strait or landing from a ship to a province with enemy units puts you at a severe disadvantage.
* The same as above goes for attaking enemys in mountains

There's a high posibility that all these effects are implemented in the game to some extent.

------------------
/ Stefan Huszics

Hail Huszics,

Thanks for the info. I will try and remember this as soon as the game comes to the US

------------------
For I have dined on honeydew , And drunk the milk of paradise
-RUSH-