• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Very interesting AAR. I'm glad that Scotland eventually got crushed in the end ;), but it seems strange that England was initially more interested in preserving Calais than Yorkshire.

Also, why can't countries move troops through the provinces of their allies as Scotland was apparently unable to do in the French-controlled Marches?

Tough break Graham. Couple of things of note that I had only heard mentioned before. VP for achieving an objective.

Is there any other benefit besides the VP's?

Do you think things might have been different had you been able to take Marches rather than York and Lancaster?

Would England have been as inclined to destroy you if you didn't hold those two provinces maybe? I am sure you would have been better off defensively.

I think you would have been alot better off if the French hadn't jumped on the Englosh right off the bat.....you didn't get alot of time to prepare your country for war.

Did you have a sense that going to war with England was the only viable strategy for Scotland? I would want to play like William Wallace too, but it would be nice to try something that departs from the history books a bit more as well. Would it have been feasible, for instance, to challenge the Danes and/or expand into Norway with English support?

Originally posted by Devin on 06-20-2000 09:53 AM
Did you have a sense that going to war with England was the only viable strategy for Scotland? I would want to play like William Wallace too, but it would be nice to try something that departs from the history books a bit more as well. Would it have been feasible, for instance, to challenge the Danes and/or expand into Norway with English support?

With the 20th Century hindsight of knowing that England will be a Great Power I wanted to cut her down a bit so we could be a bit more equal throughout the game. I figured that sometime in the 300 years of the game England and Scotland would be at war and I wanted the fight to be early while England was still involved on the continent and before her economy had gone into overdrive. Alternatively I could had sought England as an ally and pushed into Norway as you suggested, but these two strategies are mutually exclusive. Perhaps next time.

Dragon: Taking the Marches was important since that gave me one province to fortify and defend rather than two (Strathclyde/Lothian or Yorkshire/Lancashire).

/Graham

Thank you for a most excellent AAR, Graham!

Although I feel sorry for you to have been so completely stomped I must say that it was a nice break from all the Empire Builder reports we've seen so far. I.e. it makes me want to play the game and do better! :)

sought England as an ally and pushed into Norway as you suggested

Scotland invading Denmark-Norway on her own initiative... Nah. IMO, this is something that could never have happened in real history. Perhaps in the 17th century as a Swedish ally though. ;)

/Doomie