• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(530)

Banned
Dec 12, 2000
www.uni.uiuc.edu
PART I: THE RECONQUEST OF HELLAS

Our city has been in the hands of Barbarians for 39 years. The last remanents of the mighty Roman Empire were mopped up 31 years ago. How could the greatest Empire on Earth have succembed to Mohammedan Barbarians? O city, o city of Constantine, you have fallen. Woe to the great Hellenic race. But we shall not live as dogs for long. Even now my order, let us call them 'the friends' plots to liberate Greece from the infidel. We sow pleasant words into the ears of Sultan Bayezid II. He is firmly in the grasp of the holy Patriarch Joachim I.

In the first year of the Seventh Millenium, Etos Kosmou(time since the creation of the world), since he creation of the Earth by God, 1492 years since the birth of our savior, we convince the Turks to declare war upon the Latin Venetians, all part of the Hellenic plan. In June the armies of the Sultan, under the command of a Hellenic Spy take Naxos. In August Crete is taken. The main Turkish amry takes Illyria in September. In December Corfu falls. The Latins are demolished by the Sultan's armies, and it brings fear to us brave Greeks that we will soon be fighting them for our freedom.

In January of etos kosmou 7002(1493) the Hungarians declared war on the infidel. In the same month, the Turksih fleet is maimed by the Venetians in the Adriatic. MAny brace Hellenes lose thier live sin the battle. It is a sad day for us. Yet not so sad, Venice is stormed by the Sultans armies in January, 7003. The next month Mantua falls. Venice sues for Peace and gives the Cyclades, Crete, and the Ionian isles to the Sultan in 7004. This is all part of the Hellenic plan for Freedom.

In Febuary we plant lies in the ears of Bayezid. we tell him that Christians are agiant him, and that he must destroy them. He then declares zero tolerance for all orthodox Christians and he declares war on his vassal Wallachia and the Egyptians, whom he believes are harboring Christians. At this time a crusade is called agiants the Turks to liberate the poor Christians, and Spain, England and Poland join the war on the Hungarian side. Persia also declares war on Tureky. Turkish stability plumits as armies invade form all sides. This is all part of the great Helelnic plan.

Many Hellenes and Slavs sadly die at the hands of the infidel Turks, but it is all for the greater good. On March 1st of 7005 the Peleponnesus declares a Greek state and breaks away from the Ottoman Empire. The Turks, partly due to the soothing and cover up of the friends, do not move to stop the revolt. Hellas, Corfu, Crete, Macdonia and the Cyclades soon follow the Morea and declare independence. Albania and Bosnia also revolt agaainst the infidel. The Hellenic forces even besiege the holy city of Constantinople at one point, but the heretic Spaniards dirve them out. The Greatest day of Hellenic history comes on December 1st, etos kosmou 7006, 1456 years after the Birth of our Savior. Hellas, although not the full Roman Empire that Hellas deserves, is recongized as a nation by all the world. The Patriarch Joachim (3/3/2)of Constantinople exiles himself to Athens and declares himself Emperor of the new nation.

We soon make marraiges with Moldova, Bavaria, Pskov, and Georgia. Although the Moldovan nobility and the all of the Bavarians are Latin heretics, we wish for the Westerners to be on good terms with us. But our true friends are our holy allies, Russia, Georgia, and Pskov. They are Orthodox- of the true doctrine. there will be a time for us to get back at the Latin Heretics for betraying us in etos kosmou 6713, 1204 years after the birth of our savior.

In 7007 the Mohammedans in Macedonia revolt, but they are out down. There is till some Ottoman sympathy in many provinces, so there are revolt chances(nationalism). In the same year Wallachia annexes Bulgaria, aand they bordr us. On August 1st we form the Balkan pact, and we ally with Wallachia-Bulgaria.

Our new nations is no Eastern Roman Empire, but it has the old Themes(provinces) of Hellas, Peloponessos, Thessaloniki, Strymon, Macedonia, Kephalonia, Crete, Aegean Pelaghos, and Nikopolis. Soon it will include the rest of the old Empire. Hristos kai Konstandinos(Christ and Constantine)! XP(labarum), En Tou To Niha(In this sign conquer). Elephtheria e Thanatos(liberty or death). The Turkish infidel dogs will perish at our holy spathia(swords).

-XP, your 'friend'

[This message has been edited by yannelis69 (edited 03-02-2001).]

Of course, it shall be liberated in a few decades.

Wow, how did I see this coming.

------------------
'We must do more than defeat their armies, we must destroy them.' General Thomas J. (Stonewall) Jackson

Would it be at all feasible to (re)convert the former byzantine lands? I mean, it'll be a veritable bloodbath...but just what provinces in the near east are sunni and which are orthodox? are their populations that far off from the magic number of 5000? If y'can restore the faith...man. :)

------------------
'A set of local sovereign states can be no more than a transitory political configuration.'- Toynbee

Ill certainly be able to drive the Moslems ot of the Balkans, except for Constantinople, as for the near East, I might only get through a few problems, but Ill try, hopefully Ill get some good random events to help me :) My main protority is restore the Empire, not convert people. Ill post the second installemnt tommorrow. Howd you like the first part?

Yannelis, can we make this AAR multiplayer once EU comes out in the States? I really feel like crushing this rebellion :) j/k

Nice try with the Patriarch though; they would -never- EVER leave Constantinople. Im sure you know that.

Actually one of the most incredible things I've learned last term (the prof. was Greek, so no foul play there) was that thousands of mainland Greeks --immigrated-- to Ottoman Empire when Greece became independent! Under Ottoman mercantile laws, Greeks had enjoyed wide-ranging shipping right privilages and these were revoked for the citizens of the new Hellenic Kingdom. So, many chose to leave Greece for Turkey (esp Smyrna) to keep their businesses running.

But anyways, believe it or not I was waiting for this AAR for quite sometime. Keep it coming, with lotsa details please. When will we hear the Nicene Creed chanted in Hagia Sophia? :)

tuna

Tuna,

Very very soon. And the Patriarch left in 1204 when the city fell to the Latins. Of course we could have kidnapped him or something. i agree, that was a stretch, but we needed leaders for the new Greek Kingdom for the new patch, and the Patriarchs were the best bet, didnt know who else I could use, Im too damn lazy to find a bunch of Phanariots :)

Oh yeah, and I vassalized Wallachia and Georgia, you'll find out more aobut that tommorrow.

I may make this multiplayer, that would be cool. But the Ottoman Empire is so screwed, it might be hard to crush Greece and retake the Balkans, Greece and Wallachia-Bulgaria form a wall and split the Ottoman Empire in two, Albania, Kosovo and Bosnia are cut off and will proably fall to Venice or Hungary. The turks got really lucky with Egypt, they conquered half of Asia Minor but they didnt ask for any provinces in the peace!!!

Kostis

Oh yeah, and didnt a lot of Greeks trade under the Russian flag too?

Sounds great... I think your immediate goal after capturing Constantinople should be to go for Antioch, Jerusalem and Alexandria, so that all the ancient Orthodox Churches of honor are under one flag--except Rome that is :) Any plans of teaching the Pope his proper place?

tuna

Originally posted by yannelis69:
Oh yeah, and didnt a lot of Greeks trade under the Russian flag too?

that's right... but they usually hailed from Russian ports on the Black Sea anyways, mainly Odessa. There was also a thriving Greek shipping business that carried goods to and from Ottoman ports such as Sinope, Smyrna and Constantinople.

Oh the Popes gonna get it too, Im gonna go for Italy pretty quickly probably, hopefully Naples will lose its vassalage to Sapin, and I can annex them somehow.

Originally posted by yannelis69:
Oh the Popes gonna get it too, Im gonna go for Italy pretty quickly probably, hopefully Naples will lose its vassalage to Sapin, and I can annex them somehow.

Oooooh, reclaiming Magna Graecia... :)

And to answer your question, I loved the AAR, except the use of Venice as sacrificial lamb. :(

As for the actual mechanics of Doomie and Co.'s patch...is there anything in there that's not kosher? Are you fighting under the name 'Holy Roman Empire'? Are the graphics tolerable?

------------------
'A set of local sovereign states can be no more than a transitory political configuration.'- Toynbee

Mariani- I put the problems in the Improving the GC thread. I fixed some of them myself. The Graphics are quite excellent, McGuinn did a great job.

Note: For the ease of barbarian ALtins(actually Im just lazy), all dates will be given in the Gregorian form.

PART II- GAING A FOOTHOLD IN ASIA

In 1497 Hellas is still at war with the Ottoman barbarians. Hellenic forces manage totake Albania and Anatolia, but the infidel occcupies Macedonia. We send our envoys to the occupied city of Constantinope to ask for Peace, since the main Greek army is of 10,000 brave Hellenes is about to be ambushed by 40,000 Barbarians. We agree to peace with the turks in exchange for 250 drachmas.

In 1497 settlers line up in Athens to colonize the world. I exchange maps with Nubia and Oman, and consequently I get knowledge of large part of Afirca. Hellas builds Trading Posts in Modagisco and Mommbasa to bring Greece into the lucrative Spice Market.

In 1498 Greeks marry into the Russian royal family, sealing a great Orthodox marriage Allaince between the two great Orthodox nations. Soon they shall conquer the North and we the South and the whole world shall know the light of the true faith.

In 1499 the heretical Patriarch of Rome declares that the New Lands shall be split between Portugal and Spain. Imagine the audacity! Someday Rome will once again be under the Roman Empire, and we will appoint a true and holy Patriarch.

Greek Merchants begin using some of thier old ways, and once agian the Medditerrean is a Hellenic lake. We send Merchants to Venice, Thrace, Novgorod, Genoa, Tago, Andalusia, and Isfahan.

In 1499 the Kingdom of Wallachia Bulgaria, after some 'persuasion'(cough...bribery...cough) of the nobles, becomes a Vassall of the Byzantine Empire. The Orthodox state of Georgia also becomes a Byzantine vassall in 1501, without any monetary persausion. In 1504 Pskov becomes a Roman Vassall. It seems that all the world wishes to be part of Hellas after we so valiantly defeaated the infidel.

In 1503 we gain a new patriarch, Pachomius I(3/3/3). His first move is to declare a crusade against the infidel Turks while they are fighting in the East with Persia and Egypt. Wallachia-Bulgaria also joins the war. In October the Bulgars besiege Kosovo while we encamp outside the holy city of Constantinople and begin pounding the walls of Theodosius with our cannon.

In April the Bulgars take Kosovo from he infidel. IIn the same month, after 61 years of Mohammedan occupation, Constantinople is recaptured by the holy armies of Hellas. We move on another ancient Hellenic city, Smyrna. Our mainland armies also move on Durazzo in Albania. Although Infidel armies drive us out of Albania, Hellenic forces take Smyrna, and the Bulgars take Bosnia. The Turkish envoys come to us begging for peace, and we give it to them. We take Smyrna and 250d, while the Bulgars take Kosovo. We have our foothold in Asia, and soon we shall gain another one when we annex Georgia. Soon all of Asia Minor will be ours.

The barbarians win against the other infidels, the Turks seize Syria and Antioch. Sadly, Antioch is of the True faith and they will have to suffer under the turkish barbarians.

By 1505 Hellas' yearly income is 60d. We are truly great.

In November 1505 the Roman Empire is only second to Spain in success. The Spanish have done remarcably poorly, not even taking Granada yet. Perhaps they will be too weak to protect Naples...

-XP 'Your Friend'

Yannelis, keep it coming, off to a great start!

Be warned though, return your people to the One True Faith and embrace the Holy Father's righteous claim to your lands for the sake of their Immortal Souls. You will most certainly be rewarded in Paradise for your part in unburdening so many of our misguided brothers of their Orthadox Heresy. You
should not cease this work until all Greece is filled with the screams and the sweet scents of Heretics being purified by holy fire. Those whose earthly form shall burn will praise you from Heaven, as their suffering on this earth shall surely save them from the eternal damnation which awaits all those who follow false priests.

With your people's spiritual needs fulfilled, you will then have the power of the Holy Spirit to unite with your Christian brothers and send those heathen barbarians who occupy the Holy Father's Eastern demesne to their eternal suffering in the fires of Hell.

ooop, got a bit carried away there.

Originally posted by sean9898:
You should not cease this work until all Greece is filled with the screams and the sweet scents of Heretics being purified by holy fire. Those whose earthly form shall burn will praise you from Heaven, as their suffering on this earth shall surely save them from the eternal damnation which awaits all those who follow false priests.

Don't listen to the Evil One speaking through this lost soul Yannelis.

'Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, so that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven...' :)

Just turn your other cheek should the Ottomans come against you next time...

tuna

Yes, you man fight over the religion thing and we ( Hannsa merchants) will take your money. We even sell you best weapons in the world so you can kill each other better. We love nothing better than Orthodox, Muslims and Catholics fight over that small unimportant area of Europe and Asia. And when we make huge fortune at it we will not complain. That treasure will be used to spread the only true religion (Lutheranism)... :D

yes, I look forward to play against Yannis .. it would be glorious to kick his butt back to sewers of Athens. ( by the way, do Athens have sewers? :D )