• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(530)

Banned
Dec 12, 2000
www.uni.uiuc.edu
Our Wonderful Republic of Florence(Tuscany), the greatest in all Italy, of course, begins the year 1492 in mediocre circumstances. Our treasury is nearly empty, with only 74 florins. Our national guard consists of 9,000 of our finest civic milita and 1,000 cavalry consisting of Florences more prosperous citizenry(level 2). Although our army is small, it is the bravest in all the world. We are allied with Parma, Genoa, and the Knights of St. John in Rhodes. The current leader of our republic is a Medici, named Piero(5/4/4.) Our traders areamong the best in the world, while our city is the most beutiful(tade and infastructure level 3).

Our first order of duty is to make our wonderful city more lawful and wonderful than it aready is(I know its hard to belive, but even the best can improve). We promote a baliff in Florence. We then set out to find suitable husbands for the many, many women of the Medeci family. Over the years we marry with France, Parma, Genoa, Savoy, Switzerland, Spain, Austria, Milan, Venice, Navarr, and Russia. The Medici family is rather large by the 1500's. I also establish monopolies in Venice and Genoa, but due to constant trade fighting these do more harm than good. So Florence swallows her civic pride and settles for only 5 merchants and she moves most of her new Merchants to Spain to take trade away from those stupid Spaniards.

In 1494 there is a huge war as France, the Pope, Switzerland, Scotland, Poland and Savoy go to war with Milan, England, Lorriane, Naples, and Spain. Venice, Egypt, and Persia also go to war with the great infidel in the East, Turkey. In the European war, Milan wins and the infidel French are dirved from Italy, for a paltry sum of 250 florins. Naples annexes Romana, while Lorraine annexes Champagne. In the Eastern War, Egypt loses two province, while our Italian rivals the Ventians(whose city is inferior to Florence) take Kosovo and Macedonia from the infidel.

In 1501 after many years of dedicated service to our Republic, Piero de Medeci passes away. Piero Soderino(5/4/4) takes over our glorious city. Lots of Piero's in Florence. Sadly, our wonderful leader becomes a raving lunatic(3/3/2) and totaly screws up our wonderful city's development. Bastardo! Figlio de putana!

In 1504, the government of Lorraine is overthrown, what this means I do not know.

Our comrades the Genoese try to expand into Savoy, and of course our pride makes us, the Florentines, together with Parma and Rhodes, delcare war on Savoy. The only problem is that Savoy is allied with France, Poland and Switzerland. We get our little Medditerranean asses creamed by the big Germanic kids. Maledizione!(for those of you whose Italian is rusty, this means 'damn!')

Poor Genoa has to day 250 florins, but wonderful FLorence get of scot free, and our Pisan subjects are also untouched.

In 1511, we have Industrial progress, and we get a brewery in Pisa! Yay! Viva Fiorenzia!

In 1512 the Medici family takes over from that crazy Solderino, and somebody named Giuliano (not another Piero!) takes over. He is a good leader ofr our city(5/4/4). And he has the quality of not being a farking lunatic. From now on Solderino will be refferred to as 'the farking phyco.' The main achievement of Guilianos' reign (beside titling the farking phyco) is he vassalizes PArma to our glorious city. Sonn we will annex them... and then all of Itlay...

Guiliano's regin does not last long, the next year Lorenzo II Medici(5/5/4, these Medici's are good guys :) ). I'll write more on Lorenzo' reign and the glory of Florence over the next few days. Vivo Fiorenza! Vivo Itlalia!

Italian AAR...'bout dang time...since all of my designs on success in EU are based upon the unification of Italy... :)

Excellent strategy, w/ the marriages and all...also glad to see that the Medici are represented as capable leaders!!! Great job!

(believe the italian for Florence is Firenze, for future ref.)

------------------
'A set of local sovereign states can be no more than a transitory political configuration.'- Toynbee

Good luck Yanni! You sure seem to have your work cut out for you in this one.
But it's nice to see my fellow pisanos in an AAR for a change. ;)

The Greater Florentine Republic, Installment II:

In 1515 Lorenzo gets good advisors, making our fine ctiies leadership even greater than it was before.(5/5/5) In 1516 tradegy strikes as heresy breaks out across Europe as a heretic called Marin Luther goes against the Holy Catholic Church. All of
Northern Europe seems to crumble before this new heresy- Lutheranism.

In Firenze our traders outocmpete the stupid putanas in the North and establish monopolies in Andalusia and Danzig, as well as a strong presence with 5 merchants in Venice and Genoa.

1519 is a big year, Karl V of Austria becomes the Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire. Austria is a big success story, annexing all of Hungary and expanding into Germany. As of now, they are no threat to Florence and Italy, except for Venice, but if they weaken them it will only help our cause of unifing Italy.

In the same year, Guilio de Medici (5/4/4) takes the head of our Republic. His reign is a great one, in 1522 Parma is annexed diplomatically. With it comes 16 Warships, 15,000 men, 1,000 horse, and 20 guns.

Sadly, also in 1522, Wurtemburg converts to the heretical teachings of Luther. Hopefully this will not be a trend in later years.

In the same year I send my envoys all over asking for alliances. After I am rejected by the Danish-Russian-Genoese and Hanseatic-Venetian-Mameluke Alliance I join the Spanish-English-Milanese-Lorrain-Palatinate-Cologne-Hessen-Papal Allaince. I ally with the infidel Spaniards who hold so much of our beloved Italy, only so I can have Milanese brothers join our bevoved Republic without bloodshep.

in 1523 we gain another benefactor of our Republic, Alessandro de Medici(5/4/4). In the same year Sicily declares its independence from the Spanish devils. They demand that we come to their aid. We do, but only so that Sicily might join our gloriuos Republic. While the Spaniards and Sicilians go at it like Cats and dogs at Messina, we land in Palermo and quickly take it. Meanwhile, our alliance is broken and those French bastardos along with Milan, Switzerland, and Baden, treacherously attack Lorraine, a menmber of our new Alliance. Sapin, England, and our Republic go to war agianst this Gallic aggression. While the huge Milanese army of 61000 men(!) leaves for Lorraine, we come in the back door, and take Milan. On the same day Messina falls. The Spanish Empire annexes Messina while Palermo 'joins' our republic. Meanwhile fascist monarchist dogs revolt in Parma, and we crush them. Of course we do not annex Milan due to our Italian brotherhood(f**king Spainiards are leader of the Alliance!). The War ends with not much happening, Lorrine pays some money to France, and our relations with Milan are untouched(+150.) Some bribes soon change this(+200). We also spend all the money we saved during the war, since we had to recruit no extra troops, our civic militia was fine on bribing Genoa, and thier relaitons are soon excellent also(+200). Soon we will turn the into vassa... i mean...friendly Civic republics.

We loose our trade monopoly in Danzig, but we get a monopoly in Tago, and we make inroads in the big league- Flanders.

The Sapnish dogs left Sicily woefully underdeveloped, but the Florentine Republic takes steps to rectify that. We promote baliffs and build fortifications.

In 1525 Florence is a powerful nation, the second in VP's, only to Spain(duh), with Austain coming in a close third. Genoa and Milan will soon beocme our... comrades, and the un-allied pope will soon join our new Italain Republic... forcefully if nessecary. Once this is complete, we will drive the Spanish from our Native Italian soil... Vivo Firenze! Vivo Italia!

Third Installment:

In 1527 the great Republic's first order of bussiness is seizing Emilia from his holiness, the Pope. Of course we are doing it for the good of the Church, if we don't take Emilia, those filthy St. Mark worshiping Venetians will, or even worse those godless Lutheran devils might. We take Emilia quickly, while Papal Armies besiege our great city of Florence! We make peace, and get Emilia. We now have 5 provinces!!! Whoopee for Italy!!!

In the 1520's France and Spain go at it like cats and dogs, oddly enough, Spain does not ask for our aid. In the End, Spain loses Flanders and Artois to France.

In 1531 there is Industrial Progress and I get that Art academy in Florence that I was saving up to build! Viva Firenze! Now I have a bunch of money to build a huge army and fleet with! Viva Italia! Soon our civic army will be the best in the World, and we shall conquer Africa!

In 1532 the Genoese see the light in the idea of the Unification of Italy and our Republic, and they become our vassall.

In 1533 the Value of the Andalusia COT, which great Florentine Merchants Monopolize, goes from 450 to 80, so a new COT must have opened up in the New World. Putana! I let the the Spanish have Andalusia back, and I don't send anymore merchants there.

In 1534 the French and Austrian-Turk(!?) Alliances go to War, and Germany erupts into war.

In 1535 new economic techniques are discovered(+1 tax income in all provinces.) Considering that 80% of our income comes from trade, this doesn't matter too much.

In 1535, Bavaria gets into Italy and annexes Milan, just as I was about to vassalize it! Figlio de putana! I will kill all those Bavarians! Soon Italy will be saying vaffanculo to them, and eventually to the Spaniards too, once their usefullness expires...

In 1537 Cosimo I(5/4/4) takes power. Our Republic also get monopolies in Thrace and Isfahan.

Not much happens for a while, the world is at peace. In 1545 Genoa joins our Republic. With Genoa I get her great fleet. I load the great civic army I build onto the fleet and send it to the Coast of Africa. I then declare war upon the Cyrenica-Algerian-Tripolitian alliance. I land my militia of 25000 men, 5000 horse, and 50 guns in Tripoli, in order to annex it and its huge income of Ivory trade. I have Spain, Lorrain, Cologne, Palatinate, and the Aztec Empire come to my aid. I manage to annex Tripoli, but the sons and daughters of Florence are worn out, their is an evil Monarchist revolt in Genoa, and Cyrenica is massing a huge army on the Tripoli borders. I make peace with Algeria and Cyrenica. Since we now have smelly non-Italians that I don't want voting, I'm changing the nations name from the Republic of Florence to the Greater Medditerranean Co-Prosperity Sphere.

In 1548 a new heresy springs up- Calvinsim. This causes the Spanish to be tied down fighting these heretics in the Netherlands. Hopefully they will be so exausted that Italy will be ripe for the plucking...

I spend my money bribing the pope, but even at relations of +200, he will not even consent to a royal marriage! Bastardo...

By 1550 I have monopolies in Genoa, Thrace, Tago, Isfahan, Flanders and Novgorod.

In 1551 France attacks a member of our alliance, Lorrian, so Lorrinan, our great Co-Prosperity Sphere, Spain, Cologne, and the Pope go to war with...gulp... France, Austria-Hungary, the Ottoman Empire, Baden, Wurtemburg, and Switzerland. Florence doesn't do much except win a few naval victories agaisnt the Turks, I lose half my fleet, but the Turks come out of the war worse off, I massacre their navy. Italy is never invaded.

Im 1554 and 1557 I have political crises, which lower our cities stability by six, pissing me off greatly.

In 1558 Savoy becomes our vassal after I give them lots of florins. Soon we will annex them... and then... all of Italy... hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahaahahah

Will be interesting to see how y'go about dealing w/ Venice...

This AAR's a good argument for an option to switch capital provinces...

------------------
'A set of local sovereign states can be no more than a transitory political configuration.'- Toynbee

Hey! Hands off Venice!

------------------
~ Salve ~

I probably wont attack my Itlaian comrades. Ill just entice them into joining our co- prosperity sphere by other means. Of course, If that doesn't work, Ill just sieze Mantua by force.

Interesting AAR,

1545, your alliance included Spain and the AZTECS? What is going on, Spain should have crushed the Aztecs 50 years prior.

Oh well, looks like the Spanish incompetence will benefit your expansionist plans nicely...

------------------
'What's a battle?' - Ralph Wiggins

Fourth Installment:

In the 1560's Florence's Spanish Alliance Expires. In 1564 Florence joins in an alliance with France, Baden, Wurtemburg, Austria, Turkey, and Switzerland. Soor after our glorius Republic joins, France declares war on Spain, and several German Minors join the fray on the Spanish side. Spain is also at war with the Hanseatic League and Venice. This should be an easy fight. Wrong.

In 1564, as thhe Council of Trent is declared, I attak Romanza as I build up forces in Palermo, for an attack on Messina, which is under siege by rebels. During this time, the Hanseatic League goes to war agianst us(!?), along with Brandenburg and the Teutonic Knights. The Spanish dogs launch several attacks agianst Corsica, Palermo, and Tripoli, but I fend them off. In 1565 Romanza falls to us and we move on Naples. At this time my army is strong enough, and after two battles we march on Messina and besiege it.

Meanwhile, a new COT opens up in Anglia, and we quickly monopolize it. Because of this, those filthy English bastardos put a trade ban on Florentine Merchants! We declare war on them, as do our Allies. Navarr, the Teutonic Order, and Rhodes go to war agianst us. Europe and the middle
East are in Flames. Armies rampage across France, Germany and Spain. we are lucky that Northern Italy is rather safe, and the fighting is confined to Spanish territory in the South. Our Northern Border is protected by our vassal Savoy, and our Allies Switzerland and Austria. At this time, Turkey declares war on Aden, which puts Florence at War with Aden, and bordering Tunisia and Algeria. Algeria invades our province of Tripoli while we attck Tunisia. This war has been going on for years, and it is rather costly for us.

In 1569 I take all of Italy from Spain, and I make Peace with them for Romanza and Naples. Now they only have Messina, Sardina and the southern tip of the boot. This makes me number one in VP's!!! Viva Firenze! Viva Italia!

We also make a white peace with England, since the war isn't going well, and Navarr is beating the crap out of France.

In the same year we annex Tunisia, and make peace with Aden and Algeria. I tohught we would be at Peace, but Genoa revolts, and we must wait a year and build a new army to crush the Revolt. Finally, in 1570, Florence is at peace.

In 1570 we annex Savoy without bloodshed. With them we get maps of South America, a 40,000 man army to replace our destroyed civic militias, and a 40 ship fleet. Sadly, nearly all of the decent provinces are already taken by Spain, Portugal, and Venice. In 1570 I also convert to Counter-Reformed Catholic, so that I get some colonist and I get extra money from my Provinces. My stability does not drop in the slightest.

In 1571 I build a naval equipment manufactuary in Corsica. I spend the rest of the money that I have bribing the Venetians, and soon my relations are at +150. By 1573 I conrtol most of Italy, two rich provinces in Africa, Savoy, and I am Number 1 in VP's. Soon Venice shall be mine, and I will finish off that pesky pope in Rome, and then I will finish driving the Spanish from Italy. I will also find away to crush the British, so that our merchants may once agian rule Anglia. Then I shall build a great colonial Empire for Italy. Viva Magna Italia!

Hope this works. Florence is that ugly brown color. Notice the color of Egypt.

Heh yann, no no ..

you have to put the file on a server first, for example a website, and then link it up on the forum like you have. You can'd do it from your hdd..

Sapura

First off, how do I post my screenshot? Ive taken some, but I cant get them up, I could post them on Monday on the Web, but Ive seen people post them on the forum.

Fifth Installment:

By 1572 my annual income is up to 105 florins a year. This should be a great time of peace for our republic. We will build manufacturies, and diplomatically annex the rest of Italy. We had a new ruler to do0 this, Francesco I (4/3/2). Alas, it was not to be.

The Power that is on the rise is Turkey. In 1572 they annex Moldova. They already have half the Mameluke Empire, and most of the Arabian penninsula. Luckily, they are being driven out of Euope by Venice and the other great power-Austria-Hungary.

In 1574 I build my first tradepost in Quatar. It produces the finest oriental goods in all the world. Two months later natives burn it to the groud. Bastardos! And then the Turks build a trading post on top of my old one! Figlio de putana! Eventually Oman burns the Turkish post. Then I biuld another Florentine post. tHen Oman burns it. Then Turkey builds a post. Oman burns it. then I build another post. Oman burns it. Bastardos. I give up after a while, due to lack of funds. In 1575, I get mineral deposits worth 400 florins. Then I get a personla gift to the country worth 200 florins. I use it to build a brewery in Modena. Big mistake, I could have used it to
recruit troops for the coming war.

In 1581, angry with the trade ban, and expecting the French to do all the fighting, we declare war on England. This also puts us at war with Cyrenica and Turkey. Oman declares war, along with Algeria, on me in 1581, sensing that we will be tied up with Cyrenica. In 1582 the Hanseatic League and the Teutonic Knights declare war on me. Troops even land in our dear Italy! We must take loans from filthy bankers to build troops just to defend ourselves! Inthe war with England, France takes Calias and destroys the British fleet. They then land in England and besiege Kent. I am to tied up with Cyrenica and after two lost battles I finnaly beat them and besiege Cyrenica. I also find out that I am at war with Denmark when they besiege Pisa!!! Luckily, my militia drives them out. The Florentine Army of Africa besiges Cyrenica, but then I realize that Cyrenica holds the Nile, so I must take Egypt to get to the Nile. Florence shall crush the Mameluke infidel! Viva Italia! The infidel shall die!

I use the Genoese fleet to transport the army of Southern Italy to Alexandria. The 100+ guns of the army quickly take the fortress. But a Mameluke army of 60,000 is coming. Our 50,000 mightly Italian men can probably take them. Before fighting the main Egyptian army, I decide to take 2 Egyptian colonies. HUGE mistake. They both have troop supply limits of 2, so my 50,000 quickly become 20,000. Thousands of young Itlaian boys perish before the glaring Egyptian sun. The Egyptians besige Alexandria, while I go for Cairo. While this is going on, Florenitne seamen steal Cyrnican maps. We learn nothing. Great. why cant they steal English maps? Morons. Mean while revolts pop up in Italy, and my tiny Home Army of 20,000 is whipped by the Rebels. Savoy, Nice, Genoa, Romanza, naples, and Palermo all rebel. This long war is truly taking a toll on the Co-Prosperity sphere.

By 1587 I have landed the army of Sicily in the Delta and they seize it. i make peace with England and Cyrenica after the French make peace for Calias. The remanents of the army besiging Cyrenica are helping in the Seige of Cairo. My tattered army of 15,000 men and 100 guns lies ready to take the city, if only it can defeat the Egyptian army of 35,000 coming for them. Our Assault attemp has already failed. Things look grim. Our commander is 1/0/1/0. Thing look worse when the battle commence, the Egyptian army has 25,000 cavalry while we have none!!! The Itlain army is being whipped, but in the last fire combat before our army will be wiped out, our guns take ahuge toll on the Egytian army, demoralizing them. agianst the odds, we win the battle. 500 infantry survive. But we have guns, many, many guns. They batter down the walls of Cairo. Egypt becomes an Italian province! Viva Italia! Viva Firenze!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In 1587 Feddirondo I (4/4/4) takes over our Sphere. He comes to a tattered Florence. All of Italy is in revolt aginst us. Our tiny Italian army is battered. We are still at war with Persia and Iraq, and they wont make peace, so more revolts spring up. The huge Turksih Empire looms to the East, ready to seize our newly conquered Egypt from us. Our African advebture was a faisco, we took Egypt, but we failed to take Cyrenica and Nubia. Our entire army was devastated, so we cannot properly fight the rebels. Our economy is in ruins. What will happen, what will happen? God help out fair city. Vivo Firenze... for it is all that is left safe for the Empire

Go Yanni go!

------------------
~ Salve ~

Does anyone want me to continue this? How do you like this AAR. Im thinking of writing a Greek AAR soon, and I really want to get to that.

Play this one until you get the mod that gives you Greece.

Will all the Italian sons die in the desert? Will Fiorenza reap further bastardos for leaders? Will Venice foil your plans for a magna Italia? Putana!

------------------
~ Salve ~