• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.

unmerged(13)

Banned
Jan 12, 2000
Visit site
Can be any 3 AAR's written in the last 12+ months either by the beta testers or by anyone else.

Additionally, if you like you can tell us why you liked it so much. If possible give the link to the AAR as well, so that other people can read it (i.e. new guys who don't have to resort to searching for hours through forum backlog).

Sapura

------------------
'Kill first, calculate later'

Jan Karol Chodkiewicz, Polish-Lithuanian Hetman

I like these three:

1) Best of all time out of all I have ever read. Oranje's Dutch AAR. I liked it very much, because he started with just one province and was involved in a life or death stuggle with France early in the game and survived and even beat them. PLus he updates quickly, tells a great story, and it's on his website with screenshots.

2)When Ottomans ruled the Earth by Kekkonen. I like this one not because of the difficulty, it's rather easy to win with the Ottoman Empire, but he tells a great story.

3)Imperial Denmark by Strategy. I don't remember why I liked htis one but I did.

Sap, how do you post the link? I need help with that.

------------------
'We must do more than defeat their armies, we must destroy them.' General Thomas J. (Stonewall) Jackson

Ok, I must admit that I haven't read them all, but most of them.
And the winners are:
1. Orjane with it's Dutch AAR. Intresting storytelling and it is nice to watch Holland to grow.
2. Greven's Papal States in official AAR section: also nice storytelling, intresting country and they converted Tunisia catholic! Laughed myself off the chair when I saw it the first time.
3. Sapura's Sweden in official AAR section: also good storytelling and reading it shows some uncommon things: losing the war pretty badly and state bankrupcy as well. It's like his first game ever and he is learning in the process.

And Kekkonen's Ottoman and Austria come next

------------------
I have long been of the opinion that if work were such a splendid thing, the rich would have kept more of it for themselves.

1. Greven's Papal States.

It was the first one I read and it intrigued me. It sold me on the game. After this I searched for other AARs and have read almost all those in the forum. I went back and read Greven's a second time and printed it out so I could follow along better. It also was well-written, humorous, and involved a minor country in the thick of the action.

2. Sapura's Sweden.

This was an AAR tour-de-force! It was also the second one I read. :) This AAR revealed alot about the capabilities of the game for me so it was very educational.

3. Sapura's Lepanto/Venice.

Another minor country and one that I imntend to play straight-away when I get my hands on the game. This was an unusual AAR because Venice formed that commonwealth with Hungary and had a lot of success against the Ottomans. Also, I think this AAR revealed the 'super Ottoman fleet' effect that others have written about and which should be patched.

I really think there are others that were very good as well. Oranje's Dutch AAR is also wonderful (and educational) Kekonnen's and Devin's were well-done and entertaining.

The 'congeniality' award goes to Oranje for the Dutch AAR - very readable and useful for newbies and he attached maps to a web site that help envision what he did.

The 'suspense' award goes to Sapura's Sweden bc well, who knew what would happen next!

For me, the minor nation AARs were the most entertaining and interesting bc they could educate about less well-known parts of the world during that period of history. I think most people who are into this game are very familiar with the major powers so there is less mystery involved with their ascendancy. I really enjoyed the Knights of St.John also (2 of them) except that the AARs were kind of far-fetched as the Knights got too powerful.

Thanks for posting these AARs. Having these on the forum is a great way to hook buyers for EU!

------------------
~ Salve ~

Bah, Oranjes is way better. That's why I kept asking them to take the official ones off and put more interesting ones up. Have you read Oranjes dutch campaign?

Just my thoughts of course.

------------------
'We must do more than defeat their armies, we must destroy them.' General Thomas J. (Stonewall) Jackson

Hello Sap,

You really deserve the number one spot here for the EU-Timeline AAR, the first part of which can be found here: http://www.europa-universalis.com/forums/Forum6/HTML/000040.html
There are ohter parts (for those interested, just do a search for 'timeline' in the subjects in this forum).
It's the AAR that you really put a lot of effort into, bringing the game to life for all the poor souls that didn't have the game.

A very good second would be Devin's hybrid AAR, found here: http://www.europa-universalis.com/forums/Forum6/HTML/000167.html
This one excells in the refreshing approach, and great reading pleasure.

Í won't name anymore specific AAR's, but Greven, Strategy, JP and Graham Dodge have all done more than their bit to deserve being mentioned as reputable AAR writers
(from the top of my head, probably forgetting a few).

greetings, Oranje

------------------
Common sense is the set of prejudices acquired at age eighteen.
Albert Einstein

Have you read Oranjes dutch campaign?

Um.. did you read my post?

Just my thoughts of course.

Strom - That's not obvious a second time. Try a third time. :rolleyes:

It was just my opinion, of course. ;)

------------------
~ Salve ~

Yeah, I missed your mention of Oranje's AAR. My mistake there. As I said that was just my thought. I've read all the AAR's word for word over the last year, and the ones in the AAR section of the webpage. I just like Oranje's best, he tells a good story. Like when he lost a lot of his research points, he made up a story about some espionage acts by foreigners into his museum. At least I htink that was him, but he livens the story. I find myself constantly reloading the page to see if he's posted a new one yet.

:) I'm sure your picks are good too.

------------------

you guys have to wait for me to get the game and post my AAR before doing this poll :^)

my vote goes to the papal states aar
second is the ottoman aar
third is the scottish aar (short but cool)

Grevens Papal States

It was my first, and it got me really into the AAR's, its so intriguing and written in a humorous and interesting way.

the next 2 are works in progress ,but so far their on my top 3

Oranje's Dutch

Absolutely beautiful, it might end up taking Greven's spot. The rise of one insignificant province to a European power or the fall of an aspiring nation will be fun to see take shape. Already there are numerous installments and it seems it will go on for quite some more time. :)

Kekkomens When Ottomans ruled the Earth

Funny and fascinating. He approaches the writing brilliantly, the way he decided to play the game, 'honorable', in which he always supports allies and never goes to war without a CB is a fresh take on the game and makes for a different story, quite interesting.

Stromprophet,

Ease up laddy, let the people have their say. Don't pressure them into picking your choices if they don't want to. :)

My choice:

1) Marcus M's Turkish AAr, the first I ever read. I creamed my pants while reading it and fell in love with the game. Until, that is I heard that Poland wasn't playable, and had a little chat with Johan ;)

During that time I had no idea how the game was structured or even how it looked overall, it was even before the international beta test.

That AAr hooked me like a pimp to a $2 dollar prostitute..and from then on I knew I wanted to write my own.

Sapura

[This message has been edited by Sapura (edited 16-01-2001).]

Sorry Sap. I keep doing that. I know you're right. I did retract my excitement and said that was just my opinion.

Creamed your pants? I certainly hope not. You make it sound like dirty sex. Which might not be a bad thing. :)

------------------

[This message has been edited by Stromprophet (edited 16-01-2001).]

Originally posted by JRHT:
3. That Scottish one on the AAR page whose author I can't remember.

Would that be mine? If so I'm pleased. :)

I can only vote for old timers like Greven's papacy and one short and dirty Sap's Bohemia.

My choices:
(1).-'Challenging the AI: A Spanish perspective (1492-1588)' The first spanish AAR I read, and I really love it. Congratulations Duque de Alba.

(2).-'French AAR' As I told, a 'superbe' work, very well designed and with a militar genius ahead. It would be a pleasure to meet him in a 'virtual battle' in S. Quintin or in Rocroi. Salut Monsieur.

(3).-'Poland 1540-1618' . Very interesting AAR indeed. The history of Poland is almost unknowed for me and this AAR showed me a powerful state in the east of europe.

Mine:

Greven's Papal States AAR.
I had just read a couple of posts about EU in comp.sys.ibm.pc.strategic, and wanted to learn more. The posts made the game sound great, but I was sort of lukewarm, not letting myself get too enthusiastic about something on the basis of a couple of newsgroup posts. Then the progression was like this: 'What's an After Action Report?' - 'Aw, that's right, there was a time when the Pope ruled a country which was a bit more significant than a couple of blocks in downtown Rome' - 'Heck, this is about a GAME? Where can I get it?'

Oranje's Dutch AAR.
Beautiful, reads like a novel.

Sisyphos's Knights of St.John AAR.
I thought St.John would be an impossible nation to play. It isn't -- actually, it may not even be a particularly tough one-province nation -- but Sisyphos proved me wrong so brilliantly that I just got to vote for him.

There were other great ones too -- in fact, I haven't read a bad AAR yet.

[This message has been edited by Kekkonen (edited 16-01-2001).]

Which I liked best I simply cannot say, because I loved so many of them. But Greven´s Papal States AAR (the first I ever read) will always hold a special place in my memory, because it let me fall in love with EU.

Hartmann

Sapura How will you be counting our votes?

Some people seem to be picking only one or are unclear as to which is #1, #2, and #3. Or Are we just having fun? :) That would be cool too.

------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.