• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(530)

Banned
Dec 12, 2000
www.uni.uiuc.edu
Im playing on difficulty hard, aggresive. This is my first AAR, so remember that when your reading it:

The Principality of Wallacia under Radu cel Mare(3/2/5) is in a sad state in 1492. The coffers are nearly empty, with only 74 ducats, a yearly income of 4 ducats, there is a buget deficit of .6 ducats, our military is pathetic, with 5,000 footmen and 5,000 horse, and the infidel Turks lord over the mighty princes of Wallacia. We long for the great days of Vlad Tepes when Wallacia princes were great and mighty.

I immediatly set my goals, my mission is to hold Wallacia, but I wish to do much more. I want to unify all Romania under the Wallachian flag, and to do this I must crush the barbarous Hungarians and the Moldavian usurpers. Then I must turn my sights on my infidel masters, the Turks.

Since my coffers are nearly empty, I decide to take a loan. I spend the money on building an army to crush the Moldavians.

Meanwhile I send my diplomats on missions to the Hapsburgs and the Bohemians and we form an alliance to crush the Hungarian dogs when the time is right.

I send all of our mighty nation merchants to Novgorod, where the competition is not as fierce as Venice, and soon I am just under Russia with 4 merchants.

I bide my time and build troops until I develop field artillery in July of 1453. Then I deplete my coffers building 20 cannons.

In Febuary of 1494 Moldova begins upgrading fortifications and I know I must strike immediately. I declare war and my stability takes a huge hit, it goes from +3 to 0. The Moldovans attack sacred Wallacia first, and the battle is over before it began. 5,000 Moldovan Infantry and 5,000 cavalry fight my 21,000 Infantry, 5,000 Cavalry, and 20 Guns under our Commander Bozau(1/0/1). Bozau and the Wallacian army then move to Moldova and using our great guns we, the mighty Wallacians, conquer and annex Moldova.

Having doubled my domains, I then turn my attention diplomatically and economically, I marry my daughters to the Hapsburgs, the Bohemians, and the rulers of Baden. My coffers now have 1 d!!! I know not what to do! I then decide to exit the game and it 1494 Wallacia is tied for second place with the Hanse with 36 VP's with, yup, you guessed it, Spain coming in first with 133 VP's.

tragic...but wouldn't some friendly Venetians or Florentines bail you out with a loan?

------------------
'A set of local sovereign states can be no more than a transitory political configuration.'- Toynbee

Not so bad for your first AAR. Still could be a little longer though. Did you just decide that you can't manage and quit or try playing again? And state bankrupcy is always an option :)

------------------
I have long been of the opinion that if work were such a splendid thing, the rich would have kept more of it for themselves.

More ot come, more to come...
Ill write more as soon as something interesting happens.
What does bankruptcy do?

A bancruptcy is the most wonderfull thing, your inflation drops, you don't owe any money to anyone!

There are some side effects, don't really recall them but it's in the manual

[This message has been edited by Fossa (edited 21-01-2001).]

Oh yes, the small side-effects of bankrupcy: stability drop and morale loss for army to name a few. But you don't have to pay to these fools who so willingly helped you in the times of trouble and lended you some money :)

------------------
I have long been of the opinion that if work were such a splendid thing, the rich would have kept more of it for themselves.

this is interesting, a neat aar i would say but it is too short. i like to see how the small kingdoms do in the big picture. to hear that you can file for bankruptcy is awesome, adds more options and tactics to a strategy game. the more i hear about this game the more amazed i am at how detailed it seems to be in the diplomatic, economic, historical realms.

keep up the good aars ill be joining you in a couple months

Next Installment:
I set about building up my economy and preparign for the coming war agianst Hungary. I build baliffs and get 5 merchants each in Novgorod, Venice, and Constantinople.

I also fortify Moldova and Wallachia.

There is a huge war at this time in Europe, England, Scotland and Milan fight France, Navarr, and the Papacy. England has some initail succes invading the mainland, but the French repulse them. In the end of the war, the English side loses, with the Papacy annexing Milan, and Navarr taking Calais!!!

While I am preparing to declare war on Hungary, Moldova revolts(its weird, I have everything rigt, but there is an 'Unknown String wanted' message so revolt is at 3%). I crush the revolts and then rebuild my army and declare war on Hungary.

Austria and Bohemia come to my side and together we invade Hungary. The Hungarians throw everything they have aginst Moldova, and I attack Maros. I Assault it and then move on to Transylvania, do the same, and them besiege and assualt Magyr. I lose alot of men, but I whip the Hungarians and capture three provinces in less than a year. Meanwhile the Austrians take Pest and Carpathia, while the Bohemians take Ruthenia. Just as the fortress in Moldova is about to fall, Moldova revolts and the Rebels beat the Hungrians and drive them out! I manage to beat the rebels and make peace with Hungary, getting Maros and Transylvania. Austria gets Pest. Hungary is down to 5 provinces, and they are split up so in the next war Hungary will be easy pickings.

I then try to rebuild my nation, I build baliffs and trade more. I also fortify Transylvania. My yearly income is up to 26d!!! YAY!!! It should get higher soon, once the pillaging wears off. But the interest rates are killing me. Where do i go to declare bankruptcy?

I build up my army in case of revolts, and for the eventual second war against Hungary and the War of Independence agisnt the infidel...

You lucky, lucky bastard :) Letting the rebels do the dirty work. True Macciavellian plan, though you didn't plan it, i think :)
But how comes bankrupcy: you don't have any money to pay. Simple as that. But it takes ca 10 years to get your country back on track after that... the choice is yours.

------------------

How to go bankrupt: You need to have 5 loans outstanding and you need to be broke. This means no cash and your interest must equal or exceed your total monthly income.

In addition to the other effects, don't forget that you lose all your accrued technology investments towards the next level in each area--military, naval, trade, infrastructure. This isn't so much early in the game, but it can be up to tens of thousands of ducats worth of research later on, setting you back decades in technology investment (unless you time it just right). I learned this the hard way (AAR later).

Mike

i think this is an interesting point pertaining to loans and defaulting (bankruptcy) there should be many more and harsher penalties for bankruptcy, it should be an absolute last resort.