• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Check the history book :) History dictates he'll be King, unless he dies before hand.

Yeah, by the end of the 10 part AAR, Sweden has become a great European power, even earlier than it did in history. i.e. early 17th century. As you see we own most Baltic provinces as well :)

The last wars have been all successful however this was not the case, if you read the earlier AAR's. I lost terribly against both Russian and German armies in the beginning.

Sapura

From a historical/realistic standpoint it would have been very hard for Sweden to hold on to the central provinces of Russia, simply because they were so populous and the culture so alien (different language and religion).

However, it would have been a piece of cake to hold and colonize Kola, Far Karelia, Onega and Archangelsk. Possibly Novgorod and Pskov due to their close proximity to the Swedish proper.

Nevertheless, I would say that the campaign turned out quite realistic, although perhaps Sapura's expansion was a little too quick.

Seeing how it turned out, I am willing to forgive the initial disasters, Sap. :D

/Doomie

Originally posted by Doomdark on 06-05-2000 03:53 PM
From a historical/realistic standpoint it would have been very hard for Sweden to hold on to the central provinces of Russia, simply because they were so populous and the culture so alien (different language and religion).

However, it would have been a piece of cake to hold and colonize Kola, Far Karelia, Onega and Archangelsk. Possibly Novgorod and Pskov due to their close proximity to the Swedish proper.

Nevertheless, I would say that the campaign turned out quite realistic, although perhaps Sapura's expansion was a little too quick.

Seeing how it turned out, I am willing to forgive the initial disasters, Sap. :D

/Doomie

I agree with Doomie. I seem to recall that the game allows 'developing' one's own provinces, am I right? If that is so, would it be possible to convert the aforementioned Russian provinces to something more than mere barren land?

By the way, Sapura. Congratulations! You seem to have succeeded where Charles XII did not. What will your next decision be? Unification of Scandinavia through a war against Denmark, perhaps?

Martin

Martin,

Yeah of course its possible to develop barren provinces. After all, 1/2 of the aim of this game is colonization :) There are various options e.g. sending in colonists / traders.

Unification of Scandinavia through a war against Denmark, perhaps?

Unfortunately the scenario has terminated :) This particular scenario starts around 1520 and ends about 1575 or so. I was going to invade Denmark, and infact I did (but only to annex Skane) to a degree.

Dragon,

Excelent job considering the some what pathetic start to your reign.

Heh, thanks Dragon ;) It sure was pathetic..

Sapura

Originally posted by Sapura on 06-06-2000 05:03 AM

Yeah of course its possible to develop barren provinces. After all, 1/2 of the aim of this game is colonization :) There are various options e.g. sending in colonists / traders.

Unfortunately the scenario has terminated :) This particular scenario starts around 1520 and ends about 1575 or so. I was going to invade Denmark, and infact I did (but only to annex Skane) to a degree.

Aha! Thank you for the information, Sapura. I suppose that the terrain will have some kind of effect on province development, in the sense that it should be VERY difficult in the game to create a city as large as Paris or London in Kola, for instance. Am I right?

I am also surprised to see that the scenario you played finished in circa 1575. I might be wrong, but didn't Sweden's bid for Baltic supremacy start in earnest from the 1580s or 1590s? I remember reading that the era of Swedish supremacy lasted from about 1648 (Peace of Westphalia) to 1721? (Treaty of Nystad, after Charles XII's campaigns). By the way, sorry if I have made mistakes about the spelling or the exact dates; I am writing from memory and I do not have access to my books right now. Incidentally, I also support changing Sweden into a playable major power in the Grand Campaign.

Finally, one note about 'hacking' the files. All right, it seems that we will be able to change them in order to be able to play other countries. Will we also be able to change the duration of the scenarios?

Thanks for all and best regards.

Martin.

P.S.: Any bidders for a Spanish AAR?

Believe it or not there is a Spanish AAR. It was the first one Graham did and I think it was done about a month and a half ago. It was interesting because Graham expanded wildly then got torn assunder by revolts. It should be noted that Graham does play on the highest level of difficulty and aggression, which might certainly have been a factor in his demise.

I might be wrong, but didn't Sweden's bid for Baltic supremacy start in earnest from the 1580s or 1590s?

You are basically correct. Sweden adopted a more aggressive foreign policy with the ascent of Erik XIV to the throne in 1560. In 1561 the larger part of Estonia became Swedish. The other two sons of Gustav Vasa - Dukes Johan and Karl - were similarily aggressive as kings. Karl made a bid for Kola and Ingermanland and failed, but managed to get the rest of Estonia and push the Russian border further east in 1595.

The truth is that Sweden grew steadily from 1561 to 1721, despite losing a couple of wars in between. The peace of Westphalia in 1648 was more about prestige than anything else. (In fact, holding on to those small German territories later embroiled Sweden in costly wars she had no real interest in waging.)

Thus, a scenario about supremacy in the Baltic would actually have to stretch from 1560 at the latest to ca 1730. (Preferably even longer).

Another interesting fact about the Swedish Great Power policy is that there is ample evidence of Swedish long term plans to conquer Kola, Russian Karelia, Onega and Archangelsk. This was to be done for two reasons: to gain better natural borders and to stop the Russian shipping out of Archangelsk.

Incidentally, I also support changing Sweden into a playable major power in the Grand Campaign.

Welcome to the Movement, but I am afraid it won't happen in this game. :(

/Doomie

[This message has been edited by Doomdark (edited 06-06-2000).]

in the sense that it should be VERY difficult in the game to create a city as large as Paris or London

In the words of Johan ..'it would take a very long time..'

bid for Baltic supremacy start in earnest from the 1580s or 1590s?

Yes it did. But now I can't even remember if I played the GC or the Battle for Baltics scenario. Perhaps it terminated because one country scored maximum points or for anothe reasons.

There's a few different possibilities and I wasn't much paying attention by that time, was knackered :)

Will we also be able to change the duration of the scenarios?

Scenario durations can be altered, yes.

Sapura