• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Greyshaft

Second Lieutenant
9 Badges
Feb 7, 2000
Visit site
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Victoria 2
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
EPISODE II - In which the Hungarians get Hungry and General Sinan saves the Empire

February 1497 - The budget is balanced with tax income equaling expenditure. The annual trade surplus of c.200 will be used to promote bailiffs. All surplus income is diverted to infrastructure and by February 1500 we should be able to promote Sheriffs to Marshals. Being devout Muslims we eschew the building of breweries although the more unkind of our neighbours might claim it is because we lack the funds...

March 1497 - Russia and Denmark declare war on Kazan.

September 1498 - Kirkuk(9/3/0) revolts but Ibrahim's 3rd Army(12/7/2) is equal to the task and disperses the bandits for negligible losses. Kazan loses Lipetsk and 80 gold to Russia in exchange for peace. The Persians build a fortress on our common border in Kurdistan.

January 1499 - The unfortunately named General Bashturk(3/0/1) takes over the Army of Syria(8/3/2)located in Macedonia [EU does not allow a player to rename Armies].

July 1499 - Hungary, Austria and Bohemia declares war on us. We decline to call on our loyal allies since they live are on our Arabian border and we may need their help later if Iraq gets frisky. Austria and Bohemia accept our immediate offer of a Status Quo peace and we face Hungary for control of the Balkans. We have three armies (totalling 24/12/2) west of Constantinople and they all converge on Serbia. All income is diverted to Treasury to pay for new troops.

October 1499 - Russia and Denmark declare war on the Golden Horde. General Sinan's combined forces(22/11/2) meet the Hungarian Army(38/2/0) in Serbia. Sinan is successful and destroys the enemy for trivial losses. The power of cavalry superiority and an able General(ratings of 4/2/3) is clearly shown. Sinan assaults the 5,000 man garrison in the fort but cannot occupy it before a second Hungarian Army(3/18/0) appears from the west. Barely is that assault seen off when a third enemy force(26/0/0) sweeps down from the north.

December 1499 - The third battle in as many months is too much for General Sinan's valiant 1st Army and the survivors(14/8/0) retreat to Bulgaria to await reinforcements. They have destroyed two Hungarian Armies(est. 50,000+ casulties) and fought a third to a standstill. Well done General Sinan.

January 1500 - Kazan invites us to enter a Royal Marriage. We decline without thanks. We send a letter of introduction to Persia and raise our relationship to -182.

April 1500 - A reinforced 1st Army has no problem destroying a Hungarian raid(10)into Bulgaria and Sinan launches his 1st Army(30/12/0) on a counterattack into Serbia. The Hungarian army(19) is destroyed and the fort is taken.

May to September 1500 - The 1st Army(24/10/0) moves north, taking Banat and Maros before the Hungarians offer Serbia and Maros in exchange for Peace. That deal would leave the 1st Army isolated in Maros so we decline the offer and move into Transylvania.

October 1500 - Transylvania falls to Sinan and Hungary agree to cede us Serbia and Banat plus 250 gold in exchange for peace.

January 1501 - Russia loses Tver and Lipetsk plus 118 gold to Poland. Our 200 Bank loan is due for repayment this year so we keep our annual trade bonus in reserve. Time to look at our strategic options.

SOUTH: Nubia and Cyrenaica have reasonable relations with us and neither is a significant military threat. Our allies, the Hedjaz can be relied on to keep Iraq in check.

EAST: Persia hates(-200) Turkey and has a permanent Causus Belli against us. Four of her provinces border five of ours and she has 80,000 troops on our border against our armies(totalling 20/7/3) garrisoning our provinces. Dangerous!

NORTHEAST: Crimea is our ally and while Poland dislike us(-160), they absolutely hate Russia(-200). Even if Poland attack us they have only a one province gap through which to invade.

NORTH: Moldavia is a one province country which fate has positioned at the junction of Russia, Hungary and Turkey. She is allied to France and at war with Russia. Attacking her will lower my stability, but conquering her territory will help me move around the flank of Hungary. Perhaps we will do this later when we have settled the Venice-Persia question.

NORTHWEST: Hungry has been humbled but the Venetians still hold Kosovo as well as the islands of Crete and Cyprus. They are an obvious target. And behind them is the Papal States, lair of the Arch-Infidel Pope Greven the First. He must be bought to justice for his crimes.

We will continue our economic investment and be prepared for a war against Venice and/or Persia. Within fifty years we hope to destroy this alliance and move on the Papacy.

Be afraid Pope Greven. Be very afraid.

:)

[This message has been edited by Graham Dodge (edited 11-05-2000).]

Nice Hungarian Campaign, I was suprised that they seemed so ill prepared or should I say disorganized for someone declaring war though I am sure it didn't help that his allies bailed. I say disorganized because he had three groups pretty close to Serbia at the start of a war he declared and he attacked you peicemeal which really cost him alot of troops. If you have insight into that let me know.

The other note of interest was the lack of action on Venice and Persia's part, very nice of them not to interfere at bad time. I suspect your diplomatic overtures helped you out a bit with the Persians.

Originally posted by Graham Dodge on 05-11-2000 12:10 AM
EPISODE II - In which the Hungarians get Hungry and General Sinan saves the Empire

We will continue our economic investment and be prepared for a war against Venice and/or Persia. Within fifty years we hope to destroy this alliance and move on the Papacy.

Be afraid Pope Greven. Be very afraid.

:)

Ahh! Sultan Graham, Gratest of Infidels.

In fifty years ? Then I'll beat you ! And I'm thinking of getting some of your land to the Knights of S:t John -they looveees to beat down rebellions with bare swords... :)

By the way, I like your campaign. You have that momentus...roollinng !

/Greven

EPISODE III - In which Turkey polishs off the Polish and blinds the Venetian scouts.

January 1501 - The Kirkuk peasantry rise in revolt but Ibrahim's 3rd Army(9/7/1) is ready for them and disperses the unbelievers.

February 1501 - Poland and France declare war on us and the unfortunate scribe who prepared the Strategic Report listed at the end of our last episode is sent to the Galleys. France rejects a Status Quo peace and once again our plans for development are put on hold. We decline the offer of help from our faithful Hedjaz allies and prepare the armies for war. Our fleet(3/58/0) is patrolling the waters off Judea seeking the Pirates recently reported in those waters. Admiral Daoud(4/2/2) takes half of the navy through the Bosphorous to meet the 5 Polish ships known to be in the Black Sea. Meanwhile General Sinan gathers the Balkan arimies together in our border seaside province of Bujak ready to invade the Polish aggressor. If we can take their seaport of Bessabarabia we will secure our long term domination of the Black Sea. Funds move out of Infrastructure and back into Treasury. We hope for a quick war, but there are no guarantees.

April 1501 - Admiral Yassar sinks the Pirates(2) in the Gulf of Tobruk and sails north after Admiral Daoud. Our infrastructure level goes up to 3 and we can now promote Sheriffs.

May 1501 - Nuyssaybin(8/2) revolts and slaughters our garrison army(3/0/0). Admiral Daoud's Fleet(Warships = 2/Galleys = 29/Transports = 0) meets the Poles(7/0/0) under Admiral Gorzow emerging from the southern end of the Bosphorus and sinks six ships for no loss. Admiral Yassar arrives at the end of the battle and the two fleets are united for the move into the Black Sea (sinking the remaining Polish ship on the way). There is no sign of French ships in the Mediterranean.

June 1501 - We accept a Royal Marriage offer from Tripoli. General Sinan arrives in Bujak and loses one battle with an invading army then wins the second when reinforcements appear in the province. Reinforcements are being assembled from all over the Balkans and it will be a mighty army that finally crosses the border into Poland.

July 1501 - Before the reinforcements arrive Sinan's 1st Army(18/9/3) is set upon by the Poles(53/2/0) under General Jagellon, and Sinan retreats south in good order to Dobrudja. Losses are even at 6/2/0 each.

August 1501 - Ibrahim's 3rd Army(16/7/3) disperses the revolt(7/2) in Nuyssaybin at a cost of 2/1/1. The 2 cavalry being assembled in Bujak lose half of their number to Polish patrols before retreating to Dobjudja.

September to October 1501 - The Poles assault the Bujak fort three times and are finally successful.

November 1501 - The Polish General Przybilski and his Galicia Regiment (28/0/0) cross the Danube and are met by the 1st Army(16/10/1). The Poles lose half their strength while inflicting only (1/0/0) and they retreat north pursued by General Sinan.

December 1501 - Przybilski makes a stand in Bujak but his Regiment(12/0/0) is annihilated by Sinan's reinforced army(18/10/0). At his moment of triumph Sinan is mortally wounded by an enemy Arquebus and he dies the following day. The army halts in Bujak, awaiting artillery and a new leader before assaulting the 4,500 man garrison in the fort.

January 1502 - Another 10,000 infantry are raised in the Capital, but that it the end of our manpower reserves. If Venice or Persia know of this they are sure to declare war. Our fleet(3/55/0) sails off the coast of Bessabarabia, waiting for the Polish shipyards to complete the warships that are under construction there. Sheriffs are promoted in Thrace and Anatolia. Perhaps Nuyssaybin would have been a better place to increase internal security? We'll do that next year.

February 1502 - The Polish fleet(2/0/0) appears and is sunk. Our fleet has completed its mission and it returns to port in our capital..

April 1502 - Venice declares war on us (presumeably at the instigation of the Arch Infidel Pope Greven the First). The Persians do likewise, but are bought off with a status Quo peace.We do not call on the Hedjaz for assistance. The 1st Army assaults the Bujak fort while the 10,000 reinforcements from Thrace(Constantinople) under General Aras(3/0/1) move to regain Kosovo.

May 1502 - The Bujak fort falls and a French! Army(12/0/0) is seen moving south from Bessabarabia into Bujak. General Urfa and the 1st Army(24/9/2) wait for them. The French lose 9/0/0 while we lose 3/1/1. We take the opportunity to offer France peace but it is rejected.

June 1502 - Urfa's 1st Army pushes into Bessabarabia while Aras and the Army of Egypt(9/0/0) retreat before the arrival of a Venetian army. The fleet sails to Crete to investigate rumours of a second Polish fleet.

July 1502 - Allah smiles on Turkey as the Venetian General Valieri is ambushed by Aras in Kosovo. The army of Egypt loses 6/0/0 while inflicting 5/0/0, but the Venetians are retreating. Aras likewise retreats to Thrace to meet up with reinforcements. But before he can move a second Venetian army(3/0/0) appears. Those infidels have no more success than their brothers and soon two Venetian armies(24/0/0) are retreating from our (1/0/0). Not to be outdone Urfa scatters the French in Bessabarabia and successfully assaults the fort while our fleet sinks four of the five Polish ships sailing off the north coast of Crete.

August 1502 - The peasants of Banat(13) revolt, perhaps demanding a return to their status as a province of Hungary. No matter what the reason it is an embarassing situation. We are fighting against Poland, Venice and France. A check of the diplomacy displays reveals our best chance for peace is with Poland( two stars). General Urfa is instructed to march his 1st Army (18/8/7) against the Polish Army(6) in Podolia. A quick victory there should set the matter beyond doubt, giving us Bessabarabia at the peace talks and freeing us up to fight against Venice.

October 1502 - Urfa scatters the enemy army but the assault on the fort fails and he settles down for a seige. Sibir declares war on Astrakhan but they accept a Status Quo peace the following month.

December 1502 - Kirkuk revolts and Ibrahim's 3rd Army(14/6/2) moves from Nuyssaybin to restore peace. Urfa Army(12/7/2) beseiges the fort in Podolia while a Polish Army(12) does the same against Bessabarabia. Whoever takes their fort first will be able to offer peace on advantageous terms. A Venetian probe(3/0/0) into Kosovo is destroyed by General Aras and his troops(9/5/0).

January 1503 - News of the fall of the Bujat fort to rebel scum is followed by a peace offer from Poland. They offer Bessabarabia and we accept. Now all of our forces can move west against the lackeys of Pope Greven. A Sheriff is promoted in Nuyssaybin.

February 1503 - Ibrahim subdues Kirkuk and dispatches half his army to garrison Nuyssaybin while the remainder patrol Kirkuk. Admiral Daoud and the fleet(1/49/0) meet the Venetian Navy(26/23/3) off the north coast of Crete. We lose ten ships to the Venetian five and our sinking morale convinces Admiral Daoud to head for port. Galleys cannot face warships on equal terms.

April 1503 - The war between Russia/Denmark and the Golden Horde fizzles out in a White Peace. A second probe(4/0/0) into Kosovo by the Venetian General Trevisio is destroyed by General Aras' Army.

June 1503 - General Urfa and the 1st Army have arrived from the Polish front. The remnants of General Valieri's troops(20/0/0) have sulked in Ragusa since their defeat in July last year and our combined forces(19/8/0) moves in to finish them off. Success here will secure our border and prepare us for a march north along the coast of the Adriatic.

August 1503 - The Venetians lose half their force but are victorious and our battered 1st Army(12/5/0) retreats to Albania to await reinforcements. Stirred to actions the enemy invades Kosovo and our reinforcements there(0/2/2) also retreats to Albania. We are again out of manpower. This war could drag on for a while yet.

SUMMARY:
If Persia does not rejoin the war we are confident of pushing the Venetians back and winning Kosovo (+one other?) in the Peace. We must rebuild our navy to eventually take the Venetian stronholds of Crete and Cyprus. Venice and Turkey... there can be only One!

Couple of Questions. Is there any particular reason for refusing the offer of help from you ally when war is declared?

What exactly does a politcal marriage do for you? I am sure it enhances your stature with that country but does it: Grant you the assurance of an extended peace? or Make it so the two of you can't wage war on each other? Seems to me in Supura's Sweden he canceled/ended his political marraige before going to war with Denmark. How many political marriages are allowed? Turks should be able to have a ton = )

Police units: What are the different levels?
What is the affect of having them? (I will assume stability) Can you put police in any province you own?

Thanks

Dragon,

What exactly does a politcal marriage do for you?

It does enchance the stature and perception the other country has of you. For example if the country is exceedingly hostile towards you (-200), a royal marriage (if granted by the other side), will decrease this hatred to around -183. Royal marriages open the doors for much better relations in the future, leading to possible alliances.

Grant you the assurance of an extended peace?
There's never anything as an assurance. Even countries in your alliance dishonour their alliance with you at times. It does however create a more stable relationship with both the countries.

Seems to me in Supura's Sweden he canceled/ended his political marraige before going to war with Denmark.

..and you know why? I created a royal marriage with Denmark because she was exceedinly hostile towards me. After Denmark 99% of my forces were busy in Savolaks, taking it back from the Germans. Denmark could have easily taken advantage of this situation, if the war was going badly and invaded from the west. I would have been in serious trouble then, no? Once It was evident that I would invade Skane, I canceled the the royal ties.

Sapura

[This message has been edited by Sapura (edited 12-05-2000).]

Excellent info.....So I guess I have one more question in regards to marriages. Did(in the Swedish example) the mere fact that you had a political marriage with Denmark stop them from attacking? and you from attacking them? Or does it just make relations better?

Did(in the Swedish example) the mere fact that you had a political marriage with Denmark stop them from attacking? and you from attacking them?

A royal marriage is never a 100% guarantee that the country will not attack you when your back is turned. What it does do is minimize the chances of them declaring war when you're busy somewhere else. To answer your question:

In one instance after I loaded a game, Denmark declared war on me when the war was going badly with the Germans, obviously canceling the marriage and invading.

In another the war went more swimmingly and Denmark did not declare war.

So you see its a combination of things. The A.I countries weigh up these different variables and then decide what to do. But royal ties are NEVER a guarantee of peace.

Or does it just make relations better?

Yes it improves your relations, not as drastically as sending them a gift, of sorts (which is also an option), and improving the status between the two countries can diffuse a hostile situation somewhat. At times leading to close friendships.

Sapura

Graham,

really enjoyed that AAR, very well written :)

Just a question, what about that 50k+ Polish army that defeated your forces in the beginning stages of the war? What happened to them? I read that they lost only about 6k men during that time. What of the remainder?

Sapura

Originally posted by Sapura on 05-12-2000 05:59 AM

Just a question, what about that 50k+ Polish army that defeated your forces in the beginning stages of the war? What happened to them? I read that they lost only about 6k men during that time. What of the remainder? Sapura

The 'Poles(53/2/0) under General Jagellon' was actually composed of two armies and their losses were caused by
...the initial battle (6/2/0)
...the three September/October assaults on the Bujak fort.
...attrition
...a sympathetic AI :)

I think that by November 1501 this force has become the Galicia Regiment(28/0/0)under Polish General Przybilski. Remember that the AI randomly allocates generals names unless they are historical generals like my ex-General Sinan. I probably saved the game and quit around September/October since I do a lot of my testing on the train during the trip to/from work. When I reloaded the names were different.

The missing army may have retreated and only reappeared later to beseige Bessabarabia after I had taken it? Sometimes there's just too much happening to be able to remember and document it all :(

/Graham

[This message has been edited by Graham Dodge (edited 12-05-2000).]

Graham,

You mentioned that you played the game on the train. Does it play well on a laptop? Do you need the CD in the drive to run the game?

I travel alot and like to play on the plane and in hotel rooms when I am on the road. Unfortunately, most modern real time games don't work well on Laptops. Also, needing the CD to run the game seriously reduces battery time.

Originally posted by Keifer on 05-12-2000 04:34 PM
Graham,

You mentioned that you played the game on the train. Does it play well on a laptop? Do you need the CD in the drive to run the game?

I travel alot and like to play on the plane and in hotel rooms when I am on the road. Unfortunately, most modern real time games don't work well on Laptops. Also, needing the CD to run the game seriously reduces battery time.

At present the game does not need a CD in the drive to run. The docs explain that you miss some of the music, but I turn it down on the train anyway so I wouldn't notice whether the music is playing or not.

I play on a Toshiba Satellite 4200 w. 128 mb ram running at 366mhz. There are some problems loading, but I have many problems with the Toshiba so I don't blame EU for not loading occassionally.

/Graham

EPISODE IV - In which Turkey builds an economic powerhouse ready to smite the Venetians in the next war.

September 1503 - The Venetians(9) move north to Serbia and beseige our fort. General Karabok has taken over the 1st Army(12/9/2) and he advances north along the Adriatic coast to Ragusa.

October 1503 - Karabok is reinforced in Ragusa and his Army(21/9/2) assaults the fort. News of this reaches the Venetians and they break off their seige of Serbia and return to Kosovo.

November 1503 - Karabok proves he is not a worth successor to General Sinna. He loses 5/1/1 for no appreciable effect on the fort and is forced to change the assault into a seige.

February 1504 - The Venetian fleet(35) has bottled up our fleet(0/40/0) in Port Morea at the bottom of the Greek archipeligo. Our 'fleet in being' is a valuable asset so we decline the chance for battle.

April 1504 - Kirkuk(12/4/0), taken from Iraq in the war, revolts again and the army(6/3/1)on the spot loses 3/1/1 to supress them. Barely has that been settled when Dobrujda(9) on the Black Sea ejupts.

Nay 1504 - The Dobrujda revolt spreads north to Bujak(9) but our army(10/9/0) is still bogged down in the attrition-ridden province of Ragusa. The Venetians sit next door in Kosovo waiting to intervene.

June 1504 - Kirkuk(10/3) revolts again and our army(3/2/0) is equal to the task. Reinforcements are sent to bolster that shrinking army.

November 1504 - Macedonia(20) rises and our situation is looking grim. The Venetians in Ragusa still hold on to their fort and Karabok's army(7/5/2) is melting from attrition before my eyes. We are content to see Serbia, Bujak and Dobrujda become independant kingdoms that will serve as buffers against Poland and Turkey, but we cannot afford to lose Macedonia.

January 1505 - Nussaybin(9/3/0) revolts but the local army(5/3/1) suppresses the disturbance. The Venetian army(28)in Kosovo is threatening, but they just sit there and stare at us.

February 1505 - Hellas(19) and Rumellia(11) revolt and our Balkan Empire is in tatters. We offer a status quo peace to Venica and it is rejected. We need a victory. Everything hangs on General Karabok in Ragusa.

April 1505 - Ragusa falls but Venice again rejects peace. Karbok is ordered north but he has insufficient troops(6/4/3) to beseige the 10,000 man garrison in Illria. He swings east through Bosnia and Serbia and heads for Thrace to meet reinforcements.

June 1505 - Bosnia(9) revolts under Karbok's army and he loses 2/1/1 restoring peace before he can resume his march.

September 1503 - Karbok arrives in Bulgaria and is augmented to 15/7/3. He pauses to regain morale.

October 1503 - Karbok's chance for a quick victory passes as additional Venetian troops are seen moving into Kosovo.

November 1503 - Karbok's force(15/7/3) invades Kosovo and meets the Venetians(27/0/0)under General Pordenone.

December 1503 - Our forces are victorious 8,000 Venetian scalps for the loss of 1/1/0. The enemy is pursued into Illyria, but the revolt of Bulgaria(19) and the Cyclades [Greek Islands](5) tempt us to ask for peace. We have three victory stars, but Venice refuses to return Kosovo to us. The war continues.

January 1504 - Pordeone loses another 11,000 troops and retreats north while Karbok beseiges the Illyrian fort.

February 1504 - Admiral Daoud, concerned by the possibility of revolt in the province where his fleet is sheltering, comes out to battle and catches the Venetians off gaurd. Admiral Verona's squadron is reduced from 35 to 9/18/2 and Daoud sets out to do some raiding.

March 1504 - Daoud meets Verona south of Crete and decides to run the infidels into the grounds. The complete destruction of the Venetian fleet is a worthwhile goal.

April 1504 - Random Event:Our government can issue trade resrictions without penalty. Venice and Persia are immediately excluded.

May 1504 - Daoud runs out of luck and is beaten by Venice in the Adriatic.

October 1504 - Morea(8)and Bosnia(6) revolt and we have lost the entire Balkans(except for Albania and Serbia) to rebels. Illyria is no closer to surrendering and the Venetians still refuse a status quo peace. Must we offer them money to end a war that they started and which they are losing?

November 1504 - Admiral Daoud loses a naval battle and Venice immediately offers us Kosovo in exchange for peace. We greedily accept, while at the same time wondering about the logic of the computer. Now to the task of pacifying the Balkans. This is fundamentally boring as our armies race around squashing revolts so well skip a bit.

<snip>

June 25 1509 - Henry VIII rose to the throne in England.

<snip>

January 1512 - Selim I succeeds his father as Monarch in Turkey

<snip>

February 1513 - The last of the Balkan revolts is destroyed. A state gift to Persia improves our relations considerably(-182 to -138). Kosovo is fortified in preparation for the next war.

May 1514 - The report on the Balkan revolts is completed and recommends greater leniency towards the local Churches. We accordingly give greater tolerance to Orthodox and reduce tolerance for Catholics to zero. Let Pope Greven save his Churches if he can.

February 1515 - Admiral Daoud dies.

November 1516 - Turkey created the African League with the Hedjaz, Tunisia and Cyrenaica joining in a military alliance.

February 1918 - Plague in Nile, Sinia and Samaria. Population halved.

July 1818 - Banat rebels for the fifth time in three years and we ababdon the province. Let it become a buffer state between us and Turkey.

February 1520 - Soliman now rules over Turkey. His trait of organisation gives us an immediate random event of extra investment in infrastructure and trade. Inflation is at 12% and we do not expect to be able to promote Senechels to control it for another eight years. Out first brewery is built in Morea[Greece]. Turkey may be Moslem but we are also businessmen.

April 1520 - A sudden flurry of activity at Venetian shipyards in Cyprus, Crete, Corfu and every other seaport. We regretfully join the naval war and lay down a dozen galleys. Since warships cost 56 and galleys cost 11 it is easy to justify staying with the obsolete technology.

October 1523 - Plague!. Population haved in Lebanon, Syria and Bujak.

January 1527 - We begin colonising the Arabian Penninsula south of the Hedjaz.

January 1530 - Reformation! Over the next ten years The Palatinat, Helvetia, The Hansa, Sweden, England, Hessen and Wurtemburg, Thuringen, Prussia, Bohemia, Denmark and many other states convet to Protestantism.

January 1541 - Council of Trent. Victorious Catholic nations can now force Protestants to revert to Catholicism as a condition of peace.

February 1546 - We can now promote Senechels. Inflation drops from 15% to zero as the new economic regime takes effect.

January 1552 - We send traders into the Persian Gulf and discover that the Poles have a colony in Quatar. Long way from home for these intrepid adventurers.

MAy 1553 - Mary rose to the throne in England. Europe has been strangely quiet. England still has Calais!

November 1554 - It is fifty years since Venice and Turkey were at war. Our economy is booming and our naval technology leads the world. I have included some game ratings to show how Turkey has grown economically since 1503

Infrastructure: Turkey = 5, the rest bunched around 4 except Portugal on 3.(In 1503 the score was Turkey =3, the rest bunched around 2)
Trade Level: Everyone bunched around 4 except Portugal on 2. ( In 1503, everyone was bunched around 2).
Inflation: Portugal 50%, Spain & England 40%, France 30%, Poland 10%, Russia 5%, Turkey 3%. (In 1503, Turkey was on 6, the rest spread evenly up to France on 12%)
Land Technology: France on 12, Turkey & Spain on 8 with the rest bunched around 6. (In 1503, everyone was bunched around 4. Turkey in the middle.)
Naval Technology: Turkey the clear winner on 20, everyone else bunched around 8 except Russia and Poland on 6. (In 1503,Russia and Poland on were on 3 with everyone else bunched around 4).
Land Forces(,000): Poland and France on 450 with Spain, Turkey and England c. 170 each, Russia 120 and Portugal 50.(In 1503, Spain 200,France 160,Turkey 100,England 70,Russia 70,Portugal 50,Poland 10)
Naval Forces: England 160, France and Spain 150, Poland 70, Turkey and Portugal 50 each. (In 1503, England 70, Turkey 60, France 58, Spain 50, Portugal 40, Poland 3, Russia 2 )
Territory Size(ordered by number of provinces): Spain, Turkey, Portugal, France, Poland, England, Russia (In 1503, Spain, Turkey, France, Poland, Portugal, England, Russia )

Graham,

You say that you usually turn the music down on the train... Can you say something about the music? Is it baroque, or martial perhaps? Is it any good? :)

I found the baroque music in Imperialism II pretty good, but it quickly became repetitive. Some stirring martial music would work nicely as well (how about 'Carolus Rex', Paradox? :)), as would some of the more 'heavy' baroque pieces.

/Doomie

Good thing you let the Ventians win the naval battle so they would surrender to you. Your game has suddenly gotten peaceful how did that happen. Where are the Turk haters Poland, Hungary, Austria ect. Maybe Poland's grand scheme is to hit you from two sides from the North and thier colony in Aden. Uh maybe not. Good job turning the Turks into a finely tuned machine, looks like it is time to march on Venice.

Originally posted by Dragon on 05-15-2000 03:32 PM
Good thing you let the Ventians win the naval battle so they would surrender to you.
THE AI DOES SOME VERY FUNNY THINGS AT TIMES. I'VE PLAYED GAMES WHERE YOU CAN ASK FOR A PROVINCE AS YOUR SOLE DEMAND IN PEACE TALKS AND YOU GET REJECTED. THE FOLLOWING MONTH THE AI OFFERS YOU THE SAME PROVINCE PLUS CASH. I DON'T UNDERSTAND IT.

Your game has suddenly gotten peaceful how did that happen. Where are the Turk haters Poland, Hungary, Austria ect.
SHHH!!! DON'T WAKE THEM UP :)

Maybe Poland's grand scheme is to hit you from two sides from the North and thier colony in Aden. Uh maybe not.
STILL, IT IS AMUSING TO SEE THE POLES ACTIVE IN THE GULF COUNTRY

looks like it is time to march on Venice.
I CONCUR...

NO AAR TODAY. I WAS RENOVATING LAST NIGHT.

/GRAHAM

P.S. re: Doomie's question on music... I've never actually played the music (sheepish grin) since I leave the sound on my laptop permanently turned down.

EPISODE V
In which the wrath of Allah descends on Venice and Turkey learns that some allies cannot be trusted

November 1554 - After the economic growth of the last fifty years the eyes of Turkey turn once again to her old foe Venice. Our enemy has no allies, however Persia, Iraq, Poland and Spain all hate us(-200) and might quickly jump into a war on the side of Venice. Our stability is only +2 and going to war will bring us down to 0. Since our current investment strategy will get us to +3 stability by May 1555, we will postpone the war till then.

January 1555 - Oman invites us into a royal marriage, however we have no desire to become embroiled in their petty wars with Aden so we decline the offer. Admiral Dragut(5/2/4) appears and he is sent to command the fleet in Lebanon.

April 1555 - Stability rises to +3 a month early and our land technology reaches level 8 at the same time. A good sign!. Our armies are adequate. General Ali Bey(4/4/3) commands the Army of Anatolia(27/6/1) in Albania and is poised to march north along the Dalmatian coast through Illyria and Istria. Our fleet(1/37/0) is in the Port of Lebanon, ready to carry General Ezarum's Army of Persia(8/3/0) to land in Cyprus. More reinforcements are building in Macedonia. Our spies reveal a Venetian fleet(40) in the Adriatic. The time has come.

June 1555 - Last month was spent loading Ezarum's troops and sailing them into position off Cyprus. War is declared against Venice and we call on our allies. Tripoli and Tunisia respond to the call but the Hedjaz are too busy elsewhere and refuse to honour their agreement. We shall remember this!

July 1555 - Ali Bey successfully storms the fort of Ragusa and the Army of Anatolia(24/5/4) regroups before planning a move north into Illyria. General Erazum's Army(12/3/2) is not so fortunate against the fort of Cyprus(5/0/1) but after two assaults our troops are victorious. More reinforcements are assembled in the various Balkan provinces.

September 1555 - The enemy General Verona and his Venetian Army(25/0/0) occupies Bosnia.

October 1555 - Ali Bey's Army(17/3/3) halts beneath the walls of the Illyrian fort(10/0/2), and prepares a seige. Perhaps our troops could storm the fort, but that Venetian Army in Bosnia could move in and easily destroy whatever troops remained afrter we took the province. We will wait for reinforcements. In Egypt General Kardzali's Army(17/4/3) is assembling to land in Crete. The fleet travels south to meet it, brushing aside a Venetian squadron on the way.

January 1556 - Philippe II is crowned Holy Roman Emperor. That won't save Venice. Reinforcements reach Ali Bey and his Army(33/6/2) unsuccessfully assault the fort. Our losses are slight, but the sounds of battle reach the Venetian army in Bosnia and they march to the sounds of the guns. The failure of the assault has cruelly drained our army's morale and it is dangerous to fight under these conditions. We have no choice.

February 1556 - We are saved! Verona turns his Army away from the battle without firing a shot and march north into Serbia. They tour that province without assaulting our fort and then return to Kosovo before marching on Ali Bey's reinforced Army(40/5/1). Tunisia has landed 5,000 men on Corfu.

March 1556 - The Venetians have fooled me again. Their army has moved from Kosovo to Ragusa. Ali Bey launches a series of assaults on the Illyrian fort and finally reduces it before marching south to Ragusa. General Kardzali is successful in Crete, destroying a small Venetian Army before laying seige to the fort. Our fleet sails for Morea[southern Greece] to avoid attrition.

June 1556 - Ali Bey's Army(25/2/0) reaches Ragusa and engages the General Verona's Venetians(15/0/0). They lose half their strength and retreat north with Ali Bey in hot pursuit.

July 1556 - Kardzali unsuccessfully assaults the Cretan fort. Ali Bey wins against Verona in Illyria and chases him north along the coast to Istria where the unfortunate Venetian is once again hammered. His battered troops(2/0/0) crawl away while Ali Bey and his Army(20/0/0) settle down to beseige the fort(10/0/2) and wait for reinforcements.

August 1556 - The Tunisian fleet wins a battle off Corfu.

September 1556 - Nuyssaybin revolts(15) but is quickly suppressed by the local garrison Army.

December 1556 - Serbia(13) revolts. As soon as Crete falls we will seek peace.

January 1557 - The fort in Crete falls and we offer peace in exchange for Crete and Cyprus. The Venetians accept and Ali Bey marches his Army(19/3/3) to Serbia to quell the revolt. In two years of war we have secured the Eastern Mediteranean. Only the Knights in Rhodes hold out against us. Note that Tunisia never reduced the fort in Corfu so it was impossible for us to demand it in the peace talks. Therefore all of the provinces went to Turkey :) We will leave garrisons on the islands in case of uprisings.

It is time to remember the failure of the Hedjaz to join the war against Venice. After we have pacified Serbia and increased stability to +3 we will move against our ex-ally. The conquest of their two province empire on the north coast of the Red Sea will join our two colonies to the Fatherland.

February 1557 - Kirkuk(20) revolts and is supressed by the local troops.

May 1558 - We moved the Army of occupation from Cyprus to Judea to beef up our invasion force. Our stability is at +3 and Ali Bey is ready to lead his Army of Anatolia(34/11/5) into the lands of The Hedjaz. An army of 25,000 waits for us but we will prevail. The Hedjaz will learn not to break alliances with Turkey.

Yea! Another posting. Thanks Graham. Can't believe you are going to squash poor little Hedjaz. Every time prior to this they ave been more than willing to join in the fray. Maybe they were having some domestic issues, maybe they were holding back in case Persia jumped in. Oh well, Woe be it to those who cross the Hand of Allah.

How will the island provonces benefit you more than having thos Balkan provinces that you gave back? Is it a matter of eliminating Venice's forward naval bases?
Where is the trade center in the Eastern Med?

'Can't believe you are going to squash poor little Hedjaz...'

Simply a matter of geography.
Turkey can expand west into the med or north into Poland(christian provinces), but the clearest route is southeast to assimilate our Muslim brothers. Maintaining stability over conquered provinces is cheaper when you have the same True Faith. By creating one contiguous country I can reinforce my south east border more easily. It also allows me room to explore and expand into the Indian Ocean. I am also setting up for an eventual answer to the Persian question.

All of which is a fairly pitiful rationalisation of naked aggression.

'How will the island provonces benefit you more than having thos Balkan provinces that you gave back? Is it a matter of eliminating Venice's forward naval bases?'

Yes

'Where is the trade center in the Eastern Med?'

Thrace (Constantinople) and Delta (Head of the Nile). I have monopolies in both. Venice is also a CoT but I haven't invested there yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.