• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(199)

Banned
Jun 12, 2000
www.fenrir.dk
The World (well most of it), Febuary 1556. Spain have the greatest colonial empire, followed by Portugal, Denmark and France. Heavy colonizing in North America has significantly extended the Danish Empire.

screen4.jpg

The New Power in North America (January 1579). The Danish Empire stretches from the Great Lakes to Southern Mexico (the Iroquois have been annexed). Aggressive Dutch colonization has moved in to fill the void left by the Spanish. We have more than 13 territories just waiting to be colonized.

screen6.jpg

[This message has been edited by strategy (edited 18-11-2000).]

Originally posted by smurja:
great pics, but why havent you any colonize in india and australia?

I don't know where Australia is. :) Denmark doesn't get an explorer untill 1620, so all of my knowledge of the world has been gotten from stealing maps and trading with my allies.

I actually had 3 colonies in India, but they are slowly dying out (growth rates between -2% to -5%). At my current place in the game (1592), I have finally built one up to a city - the other two are still struggling. I also have a colony + 2 trading posts in Africa.

India is very, very hard to colonize (in America, you just place the colonies and they eventually develop into cities with a 7-10% growth rate). Also, in America you don't meet territories with 10k native warriors. :(

I see your American Empire is quite large, congratulations on that, two questions though:

1. What colour are the Dutch and how are they faring against the spaniards, which provinces do they own in Europe ?

2. What are the chances of the good ol' U S of A appearing in your colonies ? (revolt risk?)

------------------
Let's do it to them before they do it to us!

1. What colour are the Dutch and how are they faring against the spaniards, which provinces do they own in Europe ?

They're that yellowish-brown color spreading out like the plague all over the west coast. ;) The dutch control only their homelands (still two spanish provinces in the area) in Europe, and have couple of colonies in India, but I'd say they're doing quite well. They have a 200k+ man army (UGH!), so I'm not planning on getting involved with them anytime soon.

2. What are the chances of the good ol' U S of A appearing in your colonies ? (revolt risk?)

None as long as I'm on +3 Stability. At 0 stability, there's a 2% chance per province, so this is hardly a serious risk yet.

[This message has been edited by strategy (edited 19-11-2000).]

Originally posted by Marcus:

I don't think the US Revolt event seriously raises those levels until in the late 1700s, or at the end of the game. There was no danger of a colonial revolt in 1580...

Originally posted by strategy:

They're that yellowish-brown color spreading out like the plague all over the west coast. ;) The dutch control only their homelands (still two spanish provinces in the area) in Europe, and have couple of colonies in India, but I'd say they're doing quite well. They have a 200k+ man army (UGH!), so I'm not planning on getting involved with them anytime soon.

[This message has been edited by strategy (edited 19-11-2000).]
the Netherlands have 200k man army?
I don't think that it's possible for a small nation to have such an enormous army in 1500's, essepecially after going through a revolution.

------------------
King of the Mighty Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth. decendant of the great Jagiellonian Dynasty.

At the current time in the game (1604) they are now up to almost 360k+ men (it may be as much as 400k, as I haven't counted properly). The Netherlands AI seems to be doing nothing but producing armies all the time - though now they're at war with poor France. :)

The ridiculous thing about this is that I would never stand a chance should they declare war on me. Even if I could amass as large an army, I would need at least 2-3 Million men in order to win (Yes - I have also been hit by the your armies will always loose field battles bug or feature, or whatever one wants to call it.

Even 4k rebel scum regularly defeat 25k man armies.

Yes - I'm getting somewhat bitter at the combat algorithms in the game. :(

Hetman, don't forget that those 200K slodiers weren't drafted or conscripted, they are just good old mercenaries, fighting for hard currency (=dutch florins)! Historically the Dutch never fought their wars themselves, they just hired people to fight their wars for them. Exceptions are only when there are profits to be made, like old fashioned honest piracy....ehm, I mean Buccaneering in the West Indies. In fact the independance war against Spain was financed by a weapons industry that sold guns and cannon to.........Spain !

------------------
Let's do it to them before they do it to us!

Originally posted by strategy:
At the current time in the game (1604) they are now up to almost 360k+ men (it may be as much as 400k, as I haven't counted properly). The Netherlands AI seems to be doing nothing but producing armies all the time - though now they're at war with poor France. :)

The ridiculous thing about this is that I would never stand a chance should they declare war on me. Even if I could amass as large an army, I would need at least 2-3 Million men in order to win (Yes - I have also been hit by the your armies will always loose field battles bug or feature, or whatever one wants to call it.

Even 4k rebel scum regularly defeat 25k man armies.

Yes - I'm getting somewhat bitter at the combat algorithms in the game. :(
I have one word for the developers.
'PATCH'

------------------
King of the Mighty Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth. decendant of the great Jagiellonian Dynasty.