• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Hartmann

Kaiser v.G.G. (abdicated)
1 Badges
Oct 20, 2000
Visit site
  • Europa Universalis IV
This was never quite clear to me, but with 1.05 it becomes urgent:

If a city is at say -6, meaning it will surrender within the next three months, does this also mean, that the moral of the defenders will go down more rapidly when being assaulted now (compared to cities at 4)?
Or are these things treated seperately, so that one should better just wait?
In other words: Should one decide whether to assault or besiege in the very beginning or does a long siege (bringing down the city value) make successful assaults more likely?

Hartmann

Phew, that´s what I was hoping for! :)
Like so many others, up til´1.04 I preferred to assault immediately because one could do it over and over again thereby avoiding to loose even more men by attrition. Now a good mix of initial besieging and final assaulting should do the job. And: Now I will get me CANNONS! :D

Hartmann

Like Duke Nukem says when restoring health while flushing a toilet:

AHHH, MUCH BETTER! :)

The best thing, is the fixing of the 'freezing moral' bug, though. I was surprised how much fun I now had while fighting (before, I was always extremly nervous, watching the moral bar...)

Hartmann

Regarding Sieges,unless i heavily outnumber the garrison(at least 2:1) the siege always takes much longer than indicated.ie start a siege and display says city will surrender within 1 year and yet 18months later i still get the same message.Now often it is the case that i can't afford to have high odds due to supply and thus in such cases resort to assaulting by default since the losses will be less.

Does anyone know the optimum amounts of troops to have to conduct a siege within the stated timeframe?

Blackhawk

I always take the regions 'support value' into account when going there. If it´s high, I send a big army, if it´s really low I either send a big army and assault at once or send an army just as big as is needed to keep up the siege. I also tend to send little reinforcements from time to time when necessary. Yesterday, using 1.05, I always succeeded this way:

1. Besiege with an army, which has at least as much cannons as the fortress has.
2. When city value is down to at least -4, assault.
3. I always won the day :D!

Hartmann