• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Devin

Second Lieutenant
62 Badges
May 24, 2000
Visit site
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Majesty 2
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Diplomacy
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Deus Vult
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Crusader Kings Complete
  • Surviving Mars
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife Pre-Order
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Pride of Nations
  • Cities: Skylines
  • 500k Club
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
Part III

In 1700, Spain and France hurl their armies at each other in a massive conflict that lasts nearly five years. France eventually recovers two of the provinces it had earlier lost, but the war exhausts both sides. In fact, this war seals the fate of both France and Spain as great powers.

In 1707, Poland's enemies mobilize for a race to gobble up the rest of its territory, and France proudly honors its commitment to the Poles. Russia gains the center of trade at Danzig. Turkey's vassal Crimea grabs three territories, forming a continuous belt of territory from the Black Sea to the three Turkish controlled provinces on the Baltic Sea. Austria annexes the rest of Poland as well as two more Hungarian territories. But France's participation also gives Vienna an excuse to strike at its weakened rival in Italy. Austria not only conquers Milan, it manages to gain two additional territories in France itself.

Meanwhile, England has recovered robustly from its earlier humiliation at the hands of the Scots. London's position is particularly strong in North America, and Spain is a natural target for expansion. England defeats Spain for four North American provinces and a piece of Spanish-occupied France in 1711 and 1713.

The unexpected Turko-Crimean advances in Eastern Europe and the Baltics inspire Sweden to conclude a military alliance with its new neighbors. Turkey is at the height of its power at this stage, having also gained ground against the Persians. This development is also welcomed in Copenhagen. Denmark's relations with its Russian and Austrian allies have become extremely poor. If I am dropped from the alliance, a strong Turkey-Sweden axis could keep my former allies from turning on me.

But the mood in Copenhagen in the first quarter of the century is one of frustration. There appears to be very little potential for expansion in Europe. Sweden has built up a standing army of some 100,000 men, and I do not expect Russia to honor our alliance if I declare war. The German states to the south have huge armies and daunting fortifications, and the Austrians are just as unreliable as allies. Still, I would rather be aligned with useless allies than be isolated and vulnerable. When Saxony invades my German provinces in 1721, I am so reluctant to test my allies that I opt to fight the Saxons on my own. I take crippling losses but eventually win an indemnity.

I am waiting patiently for Russia and Austria to go to war with Turkey so that I can attack Sweden. I am no match for the Swedes alone and will not risk a unilateral declaration of war that would cause my allies to desert me. Unfortunately, Russia chooses instead to declare war on England in 1729. I honor the alliance but take no action. The British navy is absolutely unrivalled, and the British empire in North America is solid muscle. The entire coast from Maine to Georgia is a fortress. To my relief, Russia quickly sues for peace.

My difficult position in Europe leads me to look elsewhere for opportunities. I had built up a sizable army in Indochina, and I decide to venture an invasion of China's lightly fortified territory. A naval reconnaissance mission reveals no Chinese standing army, at least not along the coast. I gamble that my huge technological advantage will win the day and attack in 1731. But the Chinese are simply able to field too many soldiers. The war drags on for five years and absorbs all of my financial means. I eventually have to agree to a modest indemnity as the only compensation for my efforts.

I am, incidentally, not the only European power to go to war against Asian states. England's northern Indian possessions are attacked several times by the Moguls. In 1742, Russia declares war on Japan and annexes Hokkaido. In 1762, England also attacks the Japanese and gains control of Kyushu. England's Japanese possession eventually becomes the center of trade for China and Japan, stealing commerce from my trade center in Bankok. In a bizarre twist, Japan actually establishes a trading post in Nova Scotia toward the end of the century.

Russia and Austria continue to avoid a showdown with the Turks in favor of other projects. I am puzzled by Russia's inactivity until I notice how many breweries the Russians have been building. Either they are too drunk to fight or they are concentrating on building up their colonies in Africa, South America and Asia. Austria leaves both the Turks and the Hungarians in peace in order to focus on their new whipping boy, the French.

In 1744, I decide to go it alone against the Swedes. Predictably, my allies desert me. By this time, I am prepared for a long campaign with a conscription center in Norway, strong fortifications and plenty of artillery. Unfortunately, as I have discovered over and over again, Denmark's lack of quality officers costs me far too many casualties. I eventually have to settle for the annexation of just one province after nine (!) years of war. Worse still, my key colonies in Roanoke and West Africa revolt and rebels take control of the fortresses I have built up there. It takes me until 1770 to finally restore order.

However, I do not stay isolated for long, as England wastes no time in approaching me with an offer to form an alliance. My new ally then begins to step up its campaign to challenge Spanish dominance of the Americas. The British immediately go for the primary source of Spain's wealth - its gold production. In a series of wars from 1750 through 1770, England seizes all of Spain's gold-producing provinces in Mexico, including the center of trade at Zacatecas. This wipes out about 45% of Spain's gold revenues and 60% of Spain's trade revenues. England goes on to push the Spanish out of Florida and the Gulf coast.

Meanwhile, Austria has completed an aggressive manufacturing investment program and accelerates its crusade against the French. By 1777, Austria is in possession of nine French provinces reaching all the way to Paris! England gleefully picks off a handful of French colonies in the Americas.

As for Denmark, I have given up on my hopeless officer corps and decide to expand instead by peaceful means. By 1750, after all, I am taking in 3200 ducats in annual revenue. Surely, many of my neighbors will sell out for the right price. To make a long story short, I vassalize and then annex Hessen, the Kurpfalz and the Netherlands by 1788. The only moment of peril comes in 1782, when England declares war on Russia, forcing me into a showdown with my old allies. I am initially confident in the my ability to hold the Austrians at bay thanks to the money I have invested in fortifying Germany. But when the Austrians appear with an army of 140,000 soldiers and 80 cannon, I decide not to risk it. Surprisingly, the Austrians agree to a white peace almost immediately. This frees my forces up for the Russians. The Russians are at least 100 years behind my army in terms of military technology. I manhandle them in Scandinavia and annex Eastern Pommerania and Danzig.

The game ends in 1792 in what is essentially a four way tie between England, Austria, Spain and Russia for first place, followed by France, Denmark and Turkey. The victory point system reflects cumulated achievement rather than current status, though. England is the clear winner. The wealth of the British Empire is nearly greater than that of France, Spain, Austria, Russia and Portugal combined! This is primarily due to the fact that the population of Britain's colonies in North America and India is as large as the population in the British Isles by the end of the 18th century. England has also invested heavily in infrastructure and manufacturing.

The victory point system also fails to give Denmark its due. The Kingdom of Denmark has absorbed 23 territories in Northern Europe, not to mention its domination of Indochina and West Africa. More importantly, Denmark has established the most powerful commercial empire in the world with monopolies in seven centers of trade. Denmark also leads the world in the production of fish, salt, slaves, ivory and spices. The Kingdom's annual income of 4000 ducats is 15 times greater than it was in 1492, when Denmark was just a humble underpopulated agrarian country in need of bold leadership.

Devin, you just need to make the .bmp pix to .gif, and then cook them down to 700xYYY. You can send them to me, I'll do it for you, and post them on my page to: JacobLester@mail.tele.dk.

Thanks for posting those screenshots.

Just promise not to reload, Mr. Strategy.

Denmark is a fun country to play because it has its fingers in a lot of different arenas. What made this game most interesting was the behavior of the AI for the minor countries (especially Scotland and Saxony). This is one of the things that really makes this game unique. Any country can rise to greatness under the right circumstances. History can veer off in completely unexpected but nevertheless plausible directions. Hungary, Ukraine, Moldova and Wallachia were still independent states at the end of the game, and Venice was as strong in 1792 as it was in 1492.

I was also very impressed with the English AI on a tactical level: going straight for Spain's four gold-producing provinces in Mexico was brilliant. I wonder to what extent this strategy is hard-coded into the AI. In any case, I am finding that Spain often leaves its American provinces poorly defended and lightly fortified (this also came up in my Portugal AAR). If you can put 30,000 men on a ship and get them to the Americas safely, you can do some serious damage to the Spanish Empire. The Dutch and English on the other hand usually fortify their colonies to the max. Perhaps something should be tweaked in the Spanish AI.