• podcat

by Published on 20-02-2015 13:16  Number of Views: 8691 
    Categories:
    1. Hearts of Iron
    2. Dev diaries
    Article Preview

Dev Diary 13 - Conscription & Training

Hi everyone, time for a smoking fresh diary! This time I am going to go through some of the things we showed in the PdxCon stream in more detail.

One of our important design goals for HOI4 is to make you feel like you are growing and nurturing your army as well as putting more focus into pre-war production. We have showed how its important to build up stockpiles of equipment for your army prior to war and get efficiency up for your production lines and we have talked about how you need to gain and spend experience to modify your divisional templates for the army. So whats left? The soft part of the division - the guys who actually does the fighting in the divisions! We wanted you to be able to affect them more as well, and have the effects be more visible.

Conscription and manpower

Manpower will see some big changes in HOI4. Rather than controlling only how much it ticks up per month your conscription laws now control what percentage of the population you can recruit from the full population count. Conscription laws also come with trade-offs in that recruiting more will impact efficiency of your industry and as you dig deeper and starts scraping the barrel of recruits their quality will drop requiring more training time to reach the same level of proficiency. The idea is to make it less clear cut than in hoi3 where more men was always best at all times.
    by Published on 16-01-2015 14:24  Number of Views: 14588 
    Categories:
    1. Hearts of Iron
    2. Dev diaries
    Article Preview

Hi everyone,
    we are now back from holidays and hard at work making games, so it's time for another dev diary. In this one we are going to talk about internal politics as well as give you an update on project schedule for Hearts of Iron IV.

Political Power
    Political power is a new currency in Hearts of Iron IV. It models how much control you as a ruler have over things. Political power is gained over time automatically, but there are also ways of gaining more quicker, which brings us to National Goals.

National Goals
    A national goal is something you set up as a promise or mission to the nation. Picking one will cost you political power, but you'll usually get it back plus more reward if you can show that you were able to accomplish it. It might be a specific historical goal (which is a great way of pointing the AI in the right direction btw) or something more lose, like a campaign of improving the nations roads.
    by Published on 10-10-2014 18:27
    Categories:
    1. Hearts of Iron
    2. Dev diaries
    Article Preview

Hi everyone! It's time to start talking about how the naval aspects of the game are changing with Hearts of Iron IV. There are a lot of aspects of naval gameplay, so we will be splitting this up in several diaries. Strategic warfare and details on missions will be in later diaries. This one will focus on direct combat and the general idea.

We had a few goals when designing naval mechanics for HOI4. We wanted it to both be able to handle the case of German surface raider ships relying on firepower and speed to tie up a large portion of the royal navy with a few ships like what happened early on in the war and the massive naval battles of the pacific between Japan and USA. We also wanted different ship types to be able to interact with each other and not make, say, convoy raiding a completely separate system.

What makes naval action so different from land is that the position of everything is not precisely known. So just because you know there is a German ship in a sea zone doesn't mean you can find it before it leaves. ...
    by Published on 12-09-2014 18:34
    Categories:
    1. Hearts of Iron
    2. Dev diaries
    Article Preview

Hello guys and gals! Most of the HOI4 team is currently on a much needed summer vacation, but we figured we couldn't just leave you hanging without a diary this month, so let's get to it *puts down beer* *cracks knuckles*.

The Air Technology tree is similar to the Armor tech tree we showed back in diary 2 in that we are focusing around chassis and unlocking specific historical equipment/models that those versed in WWII will be familiar with. ...
    by Published on 08-08-2014 17:40
    Categories:
    1. Hearts of Iron
    2. Dev diaries
    Article Preview

Hi! This week is going to be a pretty short diary because we are all super busy preparing for Gamescom and Paradox Fan Gathering in Cologne, but because we are physically addicted to stress hormones at this point we love our fans we decided to squeeze one in anyway. ...
    by Published on 27-06-2014 16:45  Number of Views: 20305 
    Categories:
    1. Hearts of Iron
    2. Dev diaries
    Article Preview

Hello, and welcome back to another Hearts of Iron IV developer diary! Today I'm going to talk about the new Division Designer we're making. In a Hearts of Iron game, you spend a lot of time with your Division, and being able to customise them gave it a personal touch - You're not just using any Infantry Division, your using you're patented Infantry/Tank Destroyer/Artillery combination which makes them winning a battle all the more satisfying. ...
    by Published on 09-05-2014 18:26  Number of Views: 17289 
    Categories:
    1. Hearts of Iron
    2. Dev diaries
    Article Preview

It's time for another Hearts of Iron IV Developer Diary, and this time I'm going to talk a bit more about production; specifically the Production Lines and How Things Get Built. All military equipment is made on Production Lines in HoI IV, so players will need to be familiar with how they work if they want to maximize their war machine.

But before we can talk about the production lines themselves, we should cover how Industry has changed in HoI IV.
    by Published on 01-04-2014 14:51
    Categories:
    1. Hearts of Iron
    2. Dev diaries
    Article Preview

One of our main goals with HoI 4 has been to simplify things to appeal to a more mainstream audience without sacrificing historical appeal. Initially this seemed impossible until the recent release of Call of Duty: Ghosts. The key to the success of Ghosts was the inclusion of Riley, a dog companion and playable character. Immediately the solution was clear: Popular games have dogs, and as everyone knows Hitler was famously a dog-lover, so the National Dog concept was born. ...
    by Published on 10-03-2014 09:00  Number of Views: 18967 
    Categories:
    1. Hearts of Iron
    2. Dev diaries
    Article Preview

Welcome to the second development diary for Hearts of Iron IV! Today, I am going dive right into the meaty stuff and present one of the larger changes we've made to the game - equipment. It's a broad topic with many implications for how the rest of the game is played, so my goal is to present the general idea without digging into all the details just yet. But don't worry, there will be more details than you can shake a field-marshal's baton at in future diaries!

Production
    We wanted a more interesting industry model that offered a compelling reason not to always use the latest technology, as well as adding more unit flavor in HoI4. To accomplish this we developed a model where you no longer build full divisions and aircraft wings one at a time; instead, you create production lines to pump out individual vehicles. ...
    by Published on 07-02-2014 15:45  Number of Views: 15773 
    Categories:
    1. Hearts of Iron
    2. Dev diaries
    Article Preview

Welcome to the first development diary for Hearts of Iron IV!

My name is Dan Lind and I´m the project lead for Hearts of Iron IV, an updated and improved version of Paradox Development Studio’s World War II themed grand-strategy game.
    Prepare to lead your armies, upgrade your equipment and deal in subtle (or not so subtle!) diplomacy once again!

It has almost been five years since the release of Hearts of Iron III, and though we released a few expansion packs during this time, it is really exciting to finally get the chance to do a proper sequel! We showed off an early pre-alpha build of Hearts of Iron IV at ParadoxCon in Miami last month, so some information is already out there. If you missed it, check out this thread.

What is Hearts of Iron?
    by Published on 10-06-2013 11:00  Number of Views: 7211 
    Categories:
    1. Victoria
    2. Dev diaries

Hello everyone! Heart of Darkness has now been out for a while so I thought it was time to do a post-mortem dev diary.

Reception of Victoria II: Heart of Darkness has been really good! Victoria II is one of our smaller franchises but, Heart of Darkness was our highest day one seller expansion ever which makes me really happy! It tells me that our hard work on having games polished and stable on release is working, and that people trust us and don't feel the need to wait for a patch worrying about bugs. Not to say we can't improve more, but I feel like we have come a really long way over the last 3 years. It also tells me that the Victoria fans are extremely loyal, its one of our games with one of the highest player retention rate (how many players of the original game stick around and buy expansions) and a really high average playtime that could put some MMOs to shame
    by Published on 04-06-2013 10:56  Number of Views: 15588 
    Categories:
    1. Victoria

Victoria II: Heart of Darkness patch 3.03 (checksum: NSPY) is now out!
    It can be downloaded from launcher or directly from here:
    http://www.paradoxplaza.com/in-game/...h3_03setup.exe for non-steam customers (patch is a 16MB download).

Patch is live on steam now as well. Restart steam if it doesn't automatically notice the update.
    This is a small update on 3.02 to fix a crash issue. The 3.02 patch log can be seen here.
    Changelog 3.02 -> 3.03 (also included inside patch):

Enjoy!
    by Published on 30-05-2013 10:45  Number of Views: 9626 
    Categories:
    1. Victoria

Heart of Darkness patch 3.02 (checksum: FCKR) is now out. It can be downloaded from launcher or directly from here: ...
    by Published on 30-04-2013 17:03  Number of Views: 3821 
    Categories:
    1. Victoria
    2. Dev diaries

Hello everyone, I hope you are enjoying playing Heart of Darkness. I thought I should do a little dev diary for our modding community and to highlight new things. Naselus of Pop Demand Mod fame and all-around nice guy did a little modder review of the game already here if someone wants more reading after my diary.

The two biggest new areas that are moddable are the new battle plans and the newspaper system.

Battle plans
    All you need to start modding this system is referenced from battleplans\bp_settings.txt. It lets you add new drawing tools and icons if you want to add more ways of drawing plans or add more colors.

Newspapers
    The newspaper system has extensive support for modding. Its a bit too big to explain in detail here, so if you are interested check out this post where I uploaded documentation for it.
    by Published on 15-04-2013 11:29  Number of Views: 3115 
    Categories:
    1. Victoria

Hi guys, since the expansion Victoria II: Heart of Darkness releases tomorrow I thought we should run a Q&A thread during the day.
    So if you have any questions to us the devs or one of the beta testers - post away!

Brief description:
    Victoria II: Heart of Darkness, the second expansion for the grand strategy/ political simulator Victoria II focuses on the Scramble for Africa as you compete with other colonial powers and experience international crises which require Great Power mediation if the world is to avoid war. Read all the devdiaries here: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?671476-Victoria-II-Heart-of-Darkness-Developer-Diary-Archive

by Published on 17-10-2012 15:35  Number of Views: 11158 
    Categories:
    1. Hearts of Iron
    2. Dev diaries
    Article Preview

Hi guys and gals! I hope you are all having fun playing Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour. My goal with this dev diary is to tell you a bit about how we do expansion projects, the reception it has gotten and what we have been up to to make it even better since release.

From what I’ve read so far on forums, both here and in the deep reaches of the internet fans are really liking the expansion. This makes me and the dev team very happy and proud! The reason we are in this line of business is after all that we like to make gamers happy and make products both we and others like.
    It also seems to me from reading around that many new people took advantage of the sales of the base game when TFH came out and tried it for the first time. This usually only happens for expansions when they turn out well and get recommended by word of mouth to friends. So thank you all for playing and enjoying the expansion! ...
    by Published on 24-09-2012 15:20  Number of Views: 8377 
    Categories:
    1. Hearts of Iron
    2. Dev diaries

Hello again, I'm doing an extra diary because I forgot talk about modding and technical things in the last diary. So if all you want to do is play the new expansion you can probably stop reading here, this diary is for modders!
    Anyone still here? Good!

New Expansion Format
    One of the big things we have done is make sure that installing the new expansion doesn’t stop you from accessing the old expansions and DLC. This means you can still play For the Motherland with Dies Irae - Götterdämmerung and Stars and Stripes etc if you so wish. The expansion is now installed in a sub-folder named "tfh" which contains all the new files and ensures it doesn’t mess up any of the old files. ...
    by Published on 21-09-2012 18:37  Number of Views: 7981 
    Categories:
    1. Hearts of Iron
    2. Dev diaries
    Article Preview

Hello and welcome to the last developer diary for Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour expansion. Today we are going to talk about all the little bits and pieces that didn’t quite fit into any of the other diaries

Interface
    We have done quite a bit of work on the unit interfaces so they should be much easier to use now.
    The OOB browser now expands into two windows with the click of a button making it much easier to reorganize your troops by drag-dropping them to a new position without having to scroll.

We have also made it easier to give orders to multiple units - you can now group select units and Detach from HQs, Create new HQs above them, Upgrade, Prioritise, or toggle Reinforcements/Upgrades for all selected. ...
    by Published on 13-09-2012 15:14  Number of Views: 6783 
    Categories:
    1. Hearts of Iron
    2. Dev diaries
    Article Preview

Hello!
    We are nearing the end of development of Their Finest Hour expansion now and everyone at the team is polishing and balancing like busy little bees. This will be the last diary to cover a large new feature, so this week I'll be talking about lots of little things like AI improvement and new modding support and we might soon have one or two beta AARs to show you what the expansion is like to play!

Espionage is one of the systems in Hearts of Iron III that haven't seen a lot of changes since the original game came out. So we definitely felt it was time to go back and see what we could do to make it more fun and interesting! ...
    by Published on 16-08-2012 15:03  Number of Views: 7186 
    Categories:
    1. Hearts of Iron
    2. Dev diaries
    Article Preview

Hello and welcome to the third development diary for TFH. Today I'm going to be talking about our new battle plans interface and how it impacts multiplayer, and also show our new battle scenarios.

Battle Plans
    We have added a new mode that lets you construct detailed plans. It works as an overlay on top of any mapmode and can be toggled on and off. This lets you draw up complicated operations in advance and plan your game.
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast