• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Would you be interested in "dev diaries" for the mod?

1000% yes. It helps show off new features, builds interest for the next release, and hopefully cuts down on people inevitably asking how something new works.

Reactions:
Dev Diary: Imperial Legacy & Roman Features
Dev Diary: Imperial Legacy & Roman Features

Good afternoon!

As you might already know from following the various threads here in the mod sub-forum, in the upcoming version of WtWSMS, the Imperial Legacy sub-mod by Arcvalons has been integrated. At the same time, I took advantage of this integration to add in some additional decisions for the Roman Empires. In the following diary, I will therefore go through the integrated features, as well as the new decisions. It can both be viewed as a progress report and also a bit of a to-do list given that some things are yet to be implemented.

First of all, there is the new Bureaucratic Government.

cEAKAFD.png

This new government form, which is in the feudal group, is used by the emperors of the two Roman Empires. As you can see in the above screenshot, it gives them an increased demesne limit, an increased retinue cap and less retinue maintenance costs as well as better land organisation and morale. This is to represent the difference between these realms and those with the feudal government, which was previously used. Bureaucratic rulers can hold both cities and castles without any penalties. They can also revoke titles and vassals won't care if they do so. Any player playing with a Bureaucratic realm will also be able to use the vice-royalties feature from Charlemagne freely, provided that they own the DLC.

Two new laws for Bureaucratic realms have also been implemented; the bureaucracy law (which you can see on the screenshot below) and stability. The bureaucracy law affects feudal vassal levies or feudal taxes, and depending on whether it is more plutocratic respectively aristocratic, with plutocratic being the one giving more taxes and aristocratic more levies. The stability functionality is yet to be fully implemented, but once it is I hope to be able to tie it with various other factors to simulate the Roman courts and instability in terms of rulers and dynasties. Perhaps Conclave will bring some interesting options for that?

WjRpRSC.png

Moving on, we can take a look at the new CB:s integrated from Imperial Legacy, but was an idea that was originally discussed here.

twYlnpb.png

The Imperial Reconquest CB is available in four different forms, all being kingdom-wide. The CB:s accessible for the WRE and ERE in 476 cover their respective areas in 395. However, if one of these two empires would fall to the barbarian hordes, the ruler of surviving empire can enact a decision that gives them access to a CB that covers the entirety of the territory that was controlled by the unified empire in 395, before the death of Theodosius. This will allow for situations like the one during the Gothic Wars, when Justinian managed to conquer large amounts of land.

103xshj.png

A picture representing the borders after the death of Theodosius

However, if you are unlucky as the ERE and the WRE manages to survive, or the opposite for that matter, you can still gain access to a CB covering the entire area, but for that you will either have to try to inherit the other empire title and enact the decision to reunite the two empires into one title, or simply conquer the land covered by the CB without having access to it and then use the LoR decision to restore the Roman Empire. That decision has been modified to now be available for both the WRE and the ERE. While the decisions to get the Roman Empire title require the Legacy of Rome DLC, the CB does not, so you will still be able to do some reconquest without it.

For those that are not playing one of the mighty (but crumbling) Roman Empires, the Reconquest CB is also available for other post-roman/sub-roman independent kingdom level realms on a more limited amount of territory, being only accessible against neighbours. It is still powerful though, so as Soissons, Mauretania, another historical realm or even something you carve out yourself, you should still be able to conquer significant amounts of land.

Custom regions are used for the CB, so even if the dejure changes the CB will still work and be available. This CB replaces the Holy War CB for the various Romance cultures, as the plan is to progressively disable that entirely for everyone before the Rise of Islam.

As you might thought while reading the above explanation, the Reconquest CB is currently quite powerful. Don't worry to death about the whole game balance being broken though, as some pretty significant costs will be attached to it later on, something which Enlil is going to work with. This was what he suggested:
We could make areas sieged during this cb have a province modifier which increases revolt risk and lowers taxes to represent the carnage of the Gothic Wars. We can also add the modifier which makes battles count for less to drag these out. Finally, we can add flavor events for rulers in these wars to generate characters and revolts like that of Totila's resurgence, high costs of the war, or potential corruption, treason, or other intrigue regarding the generals.
His work will hopefully be included in the version when this is released.

Eventually we will also add more CB's for a restored Roman Empire controlling the 395 borders. These will cover the entirety of the territory the Roman Empire once held, and also something to expand a bit further than that.

All of the minor titles as well as cultural titles from the Imperial Legacy mod have also been added, so the only thing left that has not been integrated are the two name changes of the WRE to Rome and ERE to Byzantium, which won't make their way into the main mod.

As a final note I might also mention that there will be a new sub-mod Romulien made for those who have the Mediterranean portraits DLC, which will, if enabled, feature Silfae's Roman Portraits with the Mediterranean faces instead of the old "potato" ones. ;)

NKT3zBL.jpg

Original preview picture from Silfae

There you go, that is what I wanted to mention for today. All of this is still subject to change, so remarks are very much welcome! Hopefully you appreciated this diary, learned something new or was not too annoyed by it's repetitiveness or my spelling/grammar errors.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Those CBs sounds quite powerful, but the penalties Enlil has planned should balance them out. I like the plan that Holy Wars will eventually be unavailable until the Rise of Islam.

Those CBs sounds quite powerful, but the penalties Enlil has planned should balance them out.
I think both the government form and CB:s will need to be balanced out. The ERE is either too strong in my opinion, or has to deal with independence rebellions. I would prefer more internal intrigue and dynastic instability.

Reactions:
Will the Roman Republic in Rome also use the bureaucratic government type, or will they still be a merchant republic?

Will the Roman Republic in Rome also use the bureaucratic government type, or will they still be a merchant republic?
Good question. Currently they are a merchant republic, but do you think the Bureaucratic government form would be a better representation? If so, why?

Good question. Currently they are a merchant republic, but do you think the Bureaucratic government form would be a better representation? If so, why?
The Merchant Republic government type just feels like an awkward fit for the Roman Republic, since it wasn't really a maritime trade republic. Like the Empire, I think it would benefit from working more with retinue and mercs instead of levies, and maybe be given a conquest CB or something so that they can capture territory (especially if they end up not being a MR, since that would take away the MR coastal claim CB). It would be neat to somehow simulate the two Consuls, and in general it looks like the new council mechanics would be a good fit for the senate.

Of course, if you were to keep it a Merchant Republic that would be fine too. Just giving suggestions without any real modding experience or expertise.

Reactions:
The Merchant Republic government type just feels like an awkward fit for the Roman Republic, since it wasn't really a maritime trade republic. Like the Empire, I think it would benefit from working more with retinue and mercs instead of levies, and maybe be given a conquest CB or something so that they can capture territory (especially if they end up not being a MR, since that would take away the MR coastal claim CB). It would be neat to somehow simulate the two Consuls, and in general it looks like the new council mechanics would be a good fit for the senate.

Of course, if you were to keep it a Merchant Republic that would be fine too. Just giving suggestions without any real modding experience or expertise.
Very interesting concerns, will note the suggestion. I know it wasn't a maritime republic, and hopefully the next update will include new functionalities in terms of modding that permits for more different governments and model accurately the Roman Republic.

I'd give the bureaucratic government some more drawbacks, like maybe a -20 landed vassal opinion modifier to represent the traditional mentality amongst Romans of vying with one another for supremacy and power, which has to be offset by using your increased demesne and wealth to bribe your vassals fairly often to keep them happy.

Reactions:
So i have a question, i'm going to hold on downloading the mod till it is up to date with Conclave as i'm going to buy it, but do i need to have the Horse Lords DlC?

So i have a question, i'm going to hold on downloading the mod till it is up to date with Conclave as i'm going to buy it, but do i need to have the Horse Lords DlC?
In order to play the mod, you do not need the Horse Lords DLC. However, as in vanilla, some things will only work with Horse Lords enabled.

[
In order to play the mod, you do not need the Horse Lords DLC. However, as in vanilla, some things will only work with Horse Lords enabled.

Ah dammit, probably i'm going to waste a good 50R$ them.

Ah dammit, probably i'm going to waste a good 50R$ them.
Depends if you want forts, nomads and the functionalities attached to it and etc.

Regarding the Roman Republic, they could be prevented from building trade posts by using a building in the Family Palaces that lowers the trade post limit by a stupidly high number. Eliminating patrician election mechanics can be accomplished by forcing the succession law for the Republic title to something other than Patrician Elective.

Reactions:
Groups are now back on the forums, so the team will once again be using them, as planned! If you are interested in helping out, send a PM to me and I'll invite you!

Reactions:
Dev Diary: Map Overhaul - Mesopotamia and Western Persia
Dev Diary - Map Overhaul: Mesopotamia and western Persia

Good Day! You might not be aware of this, but I've been working on a map rework for Persia, the first part of which will be included in the next official release of WTWSMS.

Up until now, WTWSMS had not touched the province structure of Persia, which in vanilla is known to have too few and too big provinces to properly represent the region during the timeframe of the mod. The Sassanid Empire was one of the greatest empires in the world at the time, and Mesopotamia was the most densely populated part of the Sassanid Empire. The first part my additions focus on this region, Mesopotamia, where I've added twenty-two (22) new provinces, I tried to draw them along geographical features to avoid ending with rectangular provinces and straigh-line borders as much as possible.

raezZUw.png

In fact, the seat of the Sassanid Emperors, Ctesiphon, located just a few miles of where Baghdad now stands, was at various points through this timeframe the largest and most populated city in the world, easily matching Constantinople's greatness. Here's a closer look to the provinces around Ctesiphon.

hX6vPH5.png

The map changes will allow for the Persian-Roman border to become the constant battlefield it was during this timeframe, and combined with the map changes in Arabia, the Oriens, North Africa, and the future map changes planned for the rest of Persia, the mod will provide much needed depth and possibilities to a huge region I feel has been neglected in base Crusader Kings II.

Ksgq1wl.png

As a side effect of the map changes in Mesopotamia, the Lahkmids have grown stronger and have become a more interesting faction to play!

u1BCdv9.png

That's all for now, bye!

Reactions: